J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

Jess

Happy birthday to our best.

He ain't no diving diva like that other guy last night. Nope, he's a damn warrior and come playoffs a head slam into the boards won't even stop him.

433273382_10160811203120549_708773165464

• MillerTime 2

Love that Miller is getting the real support he deserves from fans. He often isn't considered when people talk about players they expect the end up high in the record books, but the results are showing that he's already cemented his legacy and is going to continue doing so. It's already very plausible that he's on his way to being ROH material and if he remains excellent throughout his entire deal, jersey retirement isn't out of the question.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Love that Miller is getting the real support he deserves from fans. He often isn't considered when people talk about players they expect the end up high in the record books, but the results are showing that he's already cemented his legacy and is going to continue doing so. It's already very plausible that he's on his way to being ROH material and if he remains excellent throughout his entire deal, jersey retirement isn't out of the question.

If Miller plays out his full contract in Vancouver, and barring any lockouts or major injuries, he will likely finish fairly close to Naslund in both games played and points. Now keep in mind Naslund had additional credentials like being the longest serving captain in team history at the time of retirement as well as having hardware like a Ted Lindsay and being a 3-time first team all-star. Plus when Naslund retired he was the franchise leader in goals and points even playing most of his career in the dead puck era. If the Canucks win a cup and Miller wins the Conn Smythe or if he ends up with a couple Selke's I can certainly see the argument for retirement.

I think Miller is a lock for ROH in two more seasons though. Points-wise he'll be within range after next season but I really think ROH members should have at least 500 games played (really probably 600+) in a Canucks sweater. I think Toni Tanti is probably the forward on the edge right now at 531 games played and 470 points (also Bo with his 621 games played and captaincy). Obviously Edler is the next man up though and I think Lidster is also deserving. Miller might have surprisingly similar stats to Bure after next season though which is kind of crazy.

55 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

If Miller plays out his full contract in Vancouver, and barring any lockouts or major injuries, he will likely finish fairly close to Naslund in both games played and points. Now keep in mind Naslund had additional credentials like being the longest serving captain in team history at the time of retirement as well as having hardware like a Ted Lindsay and being a 3-time first team all-star. Plus when Naslund retired he was the franchise leader in goals and points even playing most of his career in the dead puck era. If the Canucks win a cup and Miller wins the Conn Smythe or if he ends up with a couple Selke's I can certainly see the argument for retirement.

I think Miller is a lock for ROH in two more seasons though. Points-wise he'll be within range after next season but I really think ROH members should have at least 500 games played (really probably 600+) in a Canucks sweater. I think Toni Tanti is probably the forward on the edge right now at 531 games played and 470 points (also Bo with his 621 games played and captaincy). Obviously Edler is the next man up though and I think Lidster is also deserving. Miller might have surprisingly similar stats to Bure after next season though which is kind of crazy.

Yeah, great analysis. Tanti and Horvat are likely the two current borderline ROH cases and the names you have to pass if you want to get into the ROH. The Miller comparison to Bure is really eye-opening given how highly people speak of Bure. That said, there's something a bit more exciting about scoring 50+ goals than getting 100+ points.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, great analysis. Tanti and Horvat are likely the two current borderline ROH cases and the names you have to pass if you want to get into the ROH. The Miller comparison to Bure is really eye-opening given how highly people speak of Bure. That said, there's something a bit more exciting about scoring 50+ goals than getting 100+ points.

FYI - Horvat is never getting into the Ring of Honour, and I can tell you that for free…

(He was a good soldier, but the team accomplished nothing while he was here.)

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

FYI - Horvat is never getting into the Ring of Honour, and I can tell you that for free…

(He was a good soldier, but the team accomplished nothing while he was here.)

The same could arguably be said for Naslund, who had his number retired. Made it to the 2nd round twice and that's it. Horvat's team made it to the 2nd round once and pushed the Cup winners to 7 games.

Not really saying they're equivalent players, but I don't put a lot of stock in team accomplishments when it comes to individual honours like the ROH or jersey retirement.

That said, I would agree that Horvat won't get into the ROH. Not quite enough of a resume IMO.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I believe that the ROH isn't for players who necessarily put up stats and games, but for players who were clutch and moved the fanbase to love them.  Burrows, Luongo, Quinn...all guys that moved the fanbase.  I really think Bieksa should be up there as well in my opinion.  JT Miller fits all of the qualities of a ROH member.  Who else has gotten their name cheered as loudly in the building as that guy?  Pretty much just the guys up in the ROH.  Hughes is our best player and probably will be the first ever defenseman to get his jersey retired here, however Miller is the fan favourite and will be remembered as that in the ROH.

3 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I believe that the ROH isn't for players who necessarily put up stats and games, but for players who were clutch and moved the fanbase to love them.  Burrows, Luongo, Quinn...all guys that moved the fanbase.  I really think Bieksa should be up there as well in my opinion.  JT Miller fits all of the qualities of a ROH member.  Who else has gotten their name cheered as loudly in the building as that guy?  Pretty much just the guys up in the ROH.  Hughes is our best player and probably will be the first ever defenseman to get his jersey retired here, however Miller is the fan favourite and will be remembered as that in the ROH.

Longevity definitely matters for the ROH. The only players who have made it in have either played 700+ games in a Canucks sweater (and every player who has is in the ROH or has their jersey retired) or have served in a front office role for a very long time. The only exception is Kurtenbach but he was the first captain and also coached the team. Gradin played 613 games but is 6th in franchise scoring and has also been a scout for the Canucks for about 30 years. Quinn was a player, coach, GM, and President for the Canucks (13 years total). Burrows was a fan favorite yes, but he also played over 800 games as a Canuck. Luongo is the franchise leader in wins. Yes, Miller is also a fan favorite player but longevity has been established as a criteria for the ROH and he still needs a couple more seasons to have that. He will get there though.

32 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Longevity definitely matters for the ROH. The only players who have made it in have either played 700+ games in a Canucks sweater (and every player who has is in the ROH or has their jersey retired) or have served in a front office role for a very long time. The only exception is Kurtenbach but he was the first captain and also coached the team. Gradin played 613 games but is 6th in franchise scoring and has also been a scout for the Canucks for about 30 years. Quinn was a player, coach, GM, and President for the Canucks (13 years total). Burrows was a fan favorite yes, but he also played over 800 games as a Canuck. Luongo is the franchise leader in wins. Yes, Miller is also a fan favorite player but longevity has been established as a criteria for the ROH and he still needs a couple more seasons to have that. He will get there though.

To be fair though, Bure played 428 games as a Canuck and got his jersey retired, a level above the ROH. Miller is 74 games shy of that already and scoring at almost the same rate. Bure had 1.12 points per game as a Canuck and Miller has 1.10 right now.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

To be fair though, Bure played 428 games as a Canuck and got his jersey retired, a level above the ROH. Miller is 74 games shy of that already and scoring at almost the same rate. Bure had 1.12 points per game as a Canuck and Miller has 1.10 right now.

Bure is definitely the exception, and ya Miller is impressively similar so far. Personally I don't think Bure's number should have been retired though due to so few games played. It felt a bit like ownership was pandering to try and get him on better terms with the organization. He was an electric player though so I can understand why others think it was deserving.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Bure is definitely the exception, and ya Miller is impressively similar so far. Personally I don't think Bure's number should have been retired though due to so few games played. It felt a bit like ownership was pandering to try and get him on better terms with the organization. He was an electric player though so I can understand why others think it was deserving.

Agreed actually. I contended at the time and still do that he deserved ROH, just like Lu.

Bure was electrifying and his jersey being there signifies what a very special player he was. Every time he grabbed the puck the entire building was on their feet, holding their breath.

Watching him play was incredible and I have no qualms about his jersey being retired. He brought a whole new level of excitement to this city when he was here. Sky was the limit with him on board.

And I fully expect JT's #9 to be hanging up there one day too......

• Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Bure was electrifying and his jersey being there signifies what a very special player he was. Every time he grabbed the puck the entire building was on their feet, holding their breath.

Watching him play was incredible and I have no qualms about his jersey being retired. He brought a whole new level of excitement to this city when he was here. Sky was the limit with him on board.

The 1st true superstar the Canucks ever had.  He raised the bar of expectation for this franchise.  Until Bure arrived, this franchise never had a player of that calibre (with all due respect to those that came before him).  Bure isn't just talked about in the Canucks world.  He is mentioned as the standard for excitement across the entire NHL.  Bure was special.  Anybody that watched him live would know.

And you're right.  EVERY time he picked up the puck, even in the defensive zone, people would stand up to see what he was gonna do next.  It was unbelievable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:19 AM, -dlc- said:

And I fully expect JT's #9 to be hanging up there one day too......

I agree Deb.  I also believe he will own the first jersey in the rafters that won a SC while playing

for the Canucks.🤩

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree Deb.  I also believe he will own the first jersey in the rafters that won a SC while playing

for the Canucks.🤩

Good stuff both you DLC, the other thing with Bure was his nickname "The Russian Rocket" that was used all through the NHL I think someone named Tom came up with that handle 🙂

Miller's 2 assist this afternoon moves him into a 393pt sandwich, good enough for 15th in all-time Canuck scoring

14   Ryan Kesler C 655 182 211 393
15   J.T. Miller LW 357 141 252 393
16   Brendan Morrison C 543 136 257 393
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Miller's 2 assist this afternoon moves him into a 393pt sandwich, good enough for 15th in all-time Canuck scoring

14   Ryan Kesler C 655 182 211 393
15   J.T. Miller LW 357 141 252 393
16   Brendan Morrison C 543 136 257 393

Damn, it's a bit stunning to see how much faster Miller got there than Kes or Morrison.

• Thanks 1
  • MillerTime 1

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Damn, it's a bit stunning to see how much faster Miller got there than Kes or Morrison.

Not many players can consistently produce at better than a point per game and he is all ours.

• MillerTime 1