Bash Head Here Thread

6of1_halfdozenofother

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

It seems like it’s everyday that people don’t know the heights of overpasses nor their loads. 

:picard:

The trucking industry is out of excuses. 

It gets better - I saw a piece yesterday (was it GlobalBC?) where the trucking industry was attempting to lay blame on other parts of the shipping industry, including their clients. :picard:

• ThereItIs 1

Different kind of head-bashing today:

Car crashes through UBC parkade, rescue teams on site

The Vancouver Fire Rescue Services logo on the side of a new truck
FILE - Vancouver Fire Rescue Services. (CityNews Image)

Posted January 17, 2024 11:18 am.

A technical rescue effort is underway at the University of British Columbia after a car crashed through a second-storey parkade and fell to the ground below.

Vancouver Fire Rescue Services public information officer Matthew Trudeau says heavy rescue teams are working to extract one person from the vehicle.

“We’ve got approximately 10 VFRS apparatus, including technical rescue and heavy rescue crews, on scene. It’s a challenging response to secure concrete structures, to secure a car. And we’re currently still working on the scene actively,” he told CityNews.

While the Lower Mainland has been dealing with a major snowstorm Wednesday, Trudeau says rescue crews don’t believe weather to be a factor in the incident.

“I do know that the second storey is covered, so there shouldn’t have been any snow accumulation. … There could have been water or ice because of freezing temperatures from a leaking pipe, [but] we’re still working on that part of it.”

Trudeau says it’s too early to determine the trapped person’s condition.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/01/17/car-ubc-parkade-rescue/

Embedded xit:

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Different kind of head-bashing today:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/01/17/car-ubc-parkade-rescue/

Embedded xit:

Update on this situation:

Car crashes through UBC parkade

A car crashed through the second storey of a parkade building at UBC
A car crashed through the second storey of a parkade building at UBC on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024, falling to the ground below. (CityNews Image)

Posted January 17, 2024 11:18 am.

Last Updated January 17, 2024 4:29 pm.

One person was extracted from a vehicle after it crashed through a parkade and fell to the ground below at UBC Wednesday, though the condition of that individual is not clear at this time.

Vancouver Fire Rescue Services public information officer Matthew Trudeau says crews received calls about the incident just after 9:30 a.m.

“The vehicle went through a concrete barrier onto the ground level, ending up on the nose of the vehicle,” he told CityNews.

Trudeau says there were “a significant amount of challenges and hazards to overcome” — including a structural component, as well as a “battery charging container that basically fed vehicle charges throughout the building.

“Our technical rescue and a couple of additional squads (were called in) for the hazards that were in place there from a significant concrete piece of the building came over the scene, which partially landed on a battery storage system, which was energized. The vehicle was still precariously placed on the nose, with the person inside of it still,” he explained.

Trudeau says once they got them out, the person was transferred to the care of BC Emergency Health Services (BCEHS), with the RCMP now investigating what happened.

Meanwhile, BCEHS confirms it responded to the Thunderbird Arena parkade along Thunderbird Boulevard just before 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.

“Two ambulances, an Advanced Care Paramedic responder unit and a supervisor responded. Paramedics did not transport any patients to hospital,” said Paramedic Public Information Officer Jasprit Khandal.

While the Lower Mainland has been dealing with a major snowstorm Wednesday, Trudeau says rescue crews don’t believe weather was a factor in the incident.

“I do know that the second storey is covered, so there shouldn’t have been any snow accumulation. … There could have been water or ice because of freezing temperatures from a leaking pipe, [but] we’re still working on that part of it,” he said.

Pretty photos in the URL (link same as in previous post).

I don't know, those barriers look pretty sturdy, you'd have to be going at a pretty good speed to dislodge it far enough to slip a car through.

21 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Like, how dare they ship such big stuff and expect us truckers not to hit overpasses? :classic_rolleyes::picard:🤷‍♂️

Is that what you do for work?  My old man drove from the 60’s on and I tell you. The industry has changed soooo much!! 

17 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Update on this situation:

Pretty photos in the URL (link same as in previous post).

I don't know, those barriers look pretty sturdy, you'd have to be going at a pretty good speed to dislodge it far enough to slip a car through.

Sadly, it appears the driver died at the scene.  No mention if they died immediately or because of the time it took for them to extract the driver out of the vehicle (due to the need to make the necessary precautions for first-responder safety).

3 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

New Canadian drivers teaching other New Canadian drivers how to drive massive machines. What could go wrong.

Sure, go ahead and blame it on "duh immigranz".  I'd rather put the responsibility on the gatekeepers - the people doing the road tests and licensing for letting inexperienced drivers game the system and get their license.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sure, go ahead and blame it on "duh immigranz".  I'd rather put the responsibility on the gatekeepers - the people doing the road tests and licensing for letting inexperienced drivers game the system and get their license.

Few decades back, it was found that driving/license testers were taking money in return for a passing score, at the Richmond testing center.

government decided it would be too expensive to call back all the people, that were tested by the con/criminal inspectors.

Some bean counter decided to allow unqualified drivers on our streets, cause "money".

If karma was a thing that asshole would have had his family killed, by an 'illegal' driver.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Few decades back, it was found that driving/license testers were taking money in return for a passing score, at the Richmond testing center.

government decided it would be too expensive to call back all the people, that were tested by the con/criminal inspectors.

Some bean counter decided to allow unqualified drivers on our streets, cause "money".

If karma was a thing that asshole would have had his family killed, by an 'illegal' driver.

I vaguely recall something of that, but I don't know (and couldn't find) anything about financial cost being the reason why the driver licenses issued by the examiners in question weren't re-tested.  However, I do think that when a situation like this arises when there could literally be hundreds if not thousands of drivers impacted in such a way, forcing people to re-test would definitely result in a political cost, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the government's/the ministry's chief concern.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Those truck driver training companies are run by new drivers who have no business teaching people how to drive trucks. 

Just now, 5forFighting said:

Those truck driver training companies are run by new drivers who have no business teaching people how to drive trucks. 

The examiners are giving licenses to new drivers who have no business being licensed if they can't follow the traffic laws.

On 1/18/2024 at 10:21 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sadly, it appears the driver died at the scene.  No mention if they died immediately or because of the time it took for them to extract the driver out of the vehicle (due to the need to make the necessary precautions for first-responder safety).

Update - turns out the deceased was a Delta firefighter.

Delta firefighter identified as man killed when vehicle fell from UBC parkade

WH_GLOBAL_BC__0029_SIMON_LITTLE.png?w=13
By Simon Little  Global News
Posted January 19, 2024 4:20 pm
Click to play video: 'Driver injured after car falls through concrete parkade barrier at UBC'

WATCH: A driver has been taken to the hospital after their car went through the concrete barrier of a multi-storey parkade at the University of British Columbia on Wed. Jan. 17, 2024. According to Capt. Matthew Trudeau of Vancouver Fire Rescue Services, the incident posted a "complex" rescue challenge for crews, including a number of electrical hazards.

The driver killed when his vehicle plunged from the second floor of a multi-storey parkade at the University of British Columbia’s Point Grey campus has been identified as a Delta firefighter.

Delta Mayor George Harvie confirmed firefighter Marc Jubinville’s “tragic passing” in a statement on Friday.

“Marc’s exceptional service and bravery in protecting our community are commendable, and his unexpected passing is a profound tragedy not just for Delta Fire, but for our entire community,” Harvey wrote.

“In these difficult times, our thoughts and deepest condolences are with his family, friends, and all his colleagues at Delta Fire. Let us come together to honour and remember Firefighter Jubinville’s selfless dedication and bravery.”

Jubinville’s vehicle crashed through a concrete barrier and fell “nose first” from the parkade at Thunderbird Boulevard and Westbrook Mall around 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 17.

At the time, Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services Capt. Matthew Trudeau said a large piece of concrete beam was left hanging above the vehicle, further complicating rescue efforts already challenged by heavy falling snow.

Crews were eventually able to pry the vehicle apart and extract Jubinville, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

There were no other injuries reported, and the cause of the crash remains under investigation.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10239158/delta-firefighter-killed-ubc-parkade-crash/

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trucking company that hit Massey Tunnel roof fined $2,400

Motorists exit the George Massey Tunnel in Richmond, B.C., Friday, Aug. 20, 2021
Motorists exit the George Massey Tunnel in Richmond, B.C., Friday, Aug. 20, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

Posted February 2, 2024 11:02 am.

The trucking company that owns the vehicle that hit the roof of the Massey Tunnel in January — forcing the closure of the major highway — has been fined just under $2,400 in violation tickets.

The update from the Richmond RCMP Friday comes after the driver’s trucking company, TSD Holdings, was suspended by the Ministry of Transportation on Jan. 11 as police and commercial vehicle enforcement officers worked to investigate the incident.

Mounties said they had received reports from a person who described seeing the truck “strike the roof of the Massey Tunnel” just after 8 p.m. on Jan. 10, adding “the complainant stated she was driving directly behind the truck when it hit. The truck initially came to a stop inside of the tunnel but after continued driving through.”

Police say they identified the driver of the truck as a 30-year-old from Surrey.

“The driver was issued a violation ticket for failing to remain at the scene of a collision under Sec. 68(1) of the BC Motor Vehicle Act. The carrier was served an immediate suspension pending an investigation by CVSE, grounding all 20 vehicles in their fleet,” Mounties said Friday.

“Following their investigation, CVSE issued violation tickets to the carrier totaling $2,371, and required them to submit an action plan for safe transport of oversized loads before lifting the suspension on January 19, 2024. CVSE continues to monitor the carrier.”

This came after several other crashes involving overpasses and other provincial infrastructure in the Lower Mainland over the past two years.

In December, the B.C. government announced tougher action to reduce such incidents, with increased fines and penalties.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/02/02/massey-tunnel-trucking-company-fined/

Ooh, $2400.  So much of a deterrent.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Should be the fine AND the cost to repair the damage to the tunnel. Same should apply to all trucks that damage overpasses because they failed to check for clearance of the load they are carrying. Province (taxpayers) should not have to foot the repair bills for idiots.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Should be the fine AND the cost to repair the damage to the tunnel. Same should apply to all trucks that damage overpasses because they failed to check for clearance of the load they are carrying. Province (taxpayers) should not have to foot the repair bills for idiots.

Supposedly the provincial government is also going after insurance companies for those costs too (ie. the ones that insure the trucking companies, not ICBC).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Yeah, there really should be actual laws that require payment for damages by the trucking company. If the insurance company has to pay some or all of that, then it can be on the insurance companies to raise the price of insurance for that particular trucking company.

Basically, give actual deterrents for negligence. 

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I don't get it? How difficult would it be to put a small sensor on top of the load to warn of clearance? Not expensive. I am sure there are multiple overpasses with varying heights.  

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't get it? How difficult would it be to put a small sensor on top of the load to warn of clearance? Not expensive. I am sure there are multiple overpasses with varying heights.  

A sensor mounted on a load won't really help much, because the sensor would be sensing based on a conical field of input from the vehicle to the obstacle.  edit - and won't be able to meaningfully warn the driver until it's too late.

However, I remember seeing a land-mounted sensor before - some distance before an overpass.  I think it was on Hwy 1 heading towards the Fraser Valley, but I can't recall for certain.  The land-mounted sensor ran a laser or similar across the highway, and if a vehicle was high enough to block the laser, it triggered a traffic warning light ahead to let the driver know that they were overheight, and to pull out at the next exit.  Not sure if it's still on Hwy 1 or not, and not sure if it was Langley or Abbotsford where I saw it.  Land-mounted sensors would definitely help - assuming the truck drivers were paying attention in the first place.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Thanks 1