[Trade] Hertl to Vegas

The NHL probably doesn't care about the LTIR loophole, Tampa and Vegas have both won cups partially due to said loophole 

Realistically fans of teams who aren't using it will continue to gnash their teeth while the NHL continues to ignore them

Nothing will change unless a majority of GM's/owners make a big enough stink, and I don't see the NHLPA pushing to address it either, it sends players to winners

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Perhaps they should look at changing the TDL to after the all star break. 

It's a lot harder to hide players on LTIR for 2 and half - 3 months than it is for 5-6 weeks.

It's also a lot harder for a player to be in playoff game shape when they come back for Game 1. 

Just a thought. 

That would encourage more player movement over the all star break though which I don't think the NHL wants. It's supposed to be a more relaxing week where players that don't get selected get family time and players that do just get to have fun. Trades turn it into a stress week rather than the mid-season break it's set up to be.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

That would encourage more player movement over the all star break though which I don't think the NHL wants. It's supposed to be a more relaxing week where players that don't get selected get family time and players that do just get to have fun. Trades turn it into a stress week rather than the mid-season break it's set up to be.

I suppose...that makes sense. 

Perhaps moving it the week before the all star break could be an option then.

The issue I see, is having it so close to the end of the season just offers teams the opportunity to circumvent Cap issues

by allowing teams to offer certain players a month off to rest up for the playoffs while adding additional pieces without consequence.

All options should be considered and there will probably be concerns for each remedy.

However doing nothing and leaving it status quo shouldn't be one of those options.      

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I agree it is not the way the league intended in which case they should have done a better job in the writing of the CBA.

I don’t see it as an unfair advantage, just a team maximizing what they can do based on the CBA as any team should and can. 

You also seem to be believing the conspiracy fallacy that this was just something made up. It is a legitimate injury. Soucy can’t just be dropped whatever that means. Doctors need to sign off on it. I do wish the league would implement an independent LTIR review for all players going on LTIR. 
Stone has a lacerated spleen (that is an hard thing to fake) and it is not guaranteed that he will be back for the playoffs.

bunch of hand wringing doomsayers over here.

There you go... at least there would be parity...

A lacerated spleen is nothing to be making fun of, but it feels odd that its the same team make use of it leading up to every playoffs... we'll see if he returns. If he does, I will not be the only one smelling a rat... 

They fact there's talk of the league looking into suggests, others are non too happy neither...

• Like 2

It seems like a simple fix 

teams can never dress more than the cap limit including in the playoffs.

Players not dressed don’t count come playoff time they don’t have to be injured.

the on ice dressed lineup simply can’t be exceed the cap. 

They could actually put that in place right now and it shouldn’t affect any team that’s playing within the rules. 
Remember they didn’t grandfather Louie’s nhl approved contract when they changed the rules after. 
To simple I guess doesn’t allow for buttmans  pets to stack the deck. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I think Vegas round 1 would be a great matchup. I wouldn't be so keen to meet them once their rolling in the 2nd or 3rd round. But I think we might be able to get them outa there early. 

I was thinking the same thing. For optics, they'd need to keep stone out for at least 2-3 games before he miraculously gets healthy during the playoffs. Who knows how many games it will take for him to hit full stride. 

If we jump on them early we might knock off a giant right off the bat. 

Crazy that they are the 8th seed currently... 

• Vintage 1

On 3/10/2024 at 7:49 AM, Drakrami said:

Actually this trade made 0 sense. 

SJS is a full rebuild team. Hertl is their best player. They are supposed to hang on to him and get the best return. The return is a (most likely low) 1st round pick and an ok prospect, and SJS have to give 2x 3rd rounders back. 

The most outrageous thing is, I don't believe Hertl was ever on the trade market. Which is the most basic thing the SJS GM had to do, put him up for bid. 

2nd most outrageous thing is, they are retaining 17% salary for the next 7 years? 

Logically, makes 0 sense. SJS GM working for Las Vegas, likely. 

It makes a ton of sense, when you dig deeper.

Hertl is a great player now, but he’s 30, and having some injury problems, and has an $8.1M cap hit for 6 more years. There’s a decent chance that he starts declining soon, and in a few years is worth a lot less. They are seeing how quickly it can go sideways with Couture right now.

But he also has a full no-move clause. And generally, it’s been tough to get their players to waive their clauses in San Jose - the players love it there. So they approach him and ask if there are any teams he would waive for. He says “Vegas”, and maybe 1 or 2 other teams…maybe not. So why would you shop him? You contact the team(s) that he’s willing to go to and see if there is a deal that makes sense.

In this case, they decided it was better to take this package, and then use the cap savings elsewhere. The other option is to kick the can down the road and hope he’s still effective when they have more trade options (still full NMC next season, then 3-team list, then 15-team list when he’s turning 34).

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

It makes a ton of sense, when you dig deeper.

Hertl is a great player now, but he’s 30, and having some injury problems, and has an $8.1M cap hit for 6 more years. There’s a decent chance that he starts declining soon, and in a few years is worth a lot less. They are seeing how quickly it can go sideways with Couture right now.

But he also has a full no-move clause. And generally, it’s been tough to get their players to waive their clauses in San Jose - the players love it there. So they approach him and ask if there are any teams he would waive for. He says “Vegas”, and maybe 1 or 2 other teams…maybe not. So why would you shop him? You contact the team(s) that he’s willing to go to and see if there is a deal that makes sense.

In this case, they decided it was better to take this package, and then use the cap savings elsewhere. The other option is to kick the can down the road and hope he’s still effective when they have more trade options (still full NMC next season, then 3-team list, then 15-team list when he’s turning 34).

Yup, San Jose got something for him now prior to him beginning to decline, maybe not an ideal return but one that will still help the rebuild 

they also freed up cap space even if they did retain, that has to be viewed as an asset as well

Better sooner than later than holding on too long

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Combover said:

It seems like a simple fix 

teams can never dress more than the cap limit including in the playoffs.

Players not dressed don’t count come playoff time they don’t have to be injured.

the on ice dressed lineup simply can’t be exceed the cap. 

They could actually put that in place right now and it shouldn’t affect any team that’s playing within the rules. 
Remember they didn’t grandfather Louie’s nhl approved contract when they changed the rules after. 
To simple I guess doesn’t allow for buttmans  pets to stack the deck. 

I like your idea, it makes sense.

I can solve the whole LTIR problem with one simple step--We do it next year. It would be addressed and called out in hours.🙄😅

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, old guy said:

I like your idea, it makes sense.

I can solve the whole LTIR problem with one simple step--We do it next year. It would be addressed and called out in hours.🙄😅

💯 

they would even do like they did with Louie’s contract and penalize us after they approved the contract…. 

leagues a joke unless your a buttman pet. 
Oh Vancouver missed the top pick by one number just happened that Chicago won the behind closed doors draft “lottery” carried out by nhl executives. 
lololol 

should  be a third party with a live broadcasted draw, the way they do it just screams fixed. 
maybe they call it “ draft management” then it’s acceptable. 

• Upvote 1