[Trade] Hertl to Vegas

Just now, Coryberg said:

6.75 million. They retained 1.25 for the next 6 years.

it was a depreciating asset. getting out of it was the best call they could've made.  For their organization it was best case scenario. They need to signal scorched earth rebuild for the fanbase to stay interested.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, LB28 said:

Vegas is incredibly stacked

Barbashev Eichel Marchessault

Hertl Karlsson Mantha

Cotter Stephenson Roy

Dorofeyev Howden Kolesar

Hanifin Pietrangelo

McNabb Theodore

Hague Martinez

Hill 

Thompson

Questionable: Mark Stone

Hertl is still IR with a knee injury.

Cups aren't won on paper, they won't have a lot of time to acclimate to each other. 

That D core is legit though

So, gotta cheer on the Blues, Wild, Flames and Krackers to push Vegas out. Man, talk about taking one for the team... blech.

Never liked Hertl the turtle since he ran into Edler and Edler got suspended for it.

15 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Hertl is still IR with a knee injury.

Cups aren't won on paper, they won't have a lot of time to acclimate to each other. 

That D core is legit though

Normally I would agree that stacked teams doesn't always produce champions and that team composition matters more.

However, this is largely the same Vegas team that won the cup last year except it's an even deeper team.

Out: Smith, Blueger

In: Hertl, Mantha, Hanifin

Edited by LB28
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, LB28 said:

Normally I would agree that stacked teams doesn't always produce champions and that team composition matters more.

However, this is largely the same Vegas team that won the cup last year except it's an even deeper team.

Vegas is definitely better on paper but they're also older and they have played a lot of hockey over the years.

Mantha is a wildcard addition. He could be good and on paper his size makes him a tantalizing asset in the playoffs, but he has often failed to rise to the occasion over his career. I really liked Mantha early on in his career and while he has had some decent seasons, he never really reached his potential and at this stage of his career, I don't reasonably expect him to suddenly find a new level.

Hanifin is the more significant addition as he's a good young top-4 D who will help anchor that blueline as it ages.

My guess is with the Hertl deal, they wanted a versatile top-6 forward who could either play alongside Eichel and Stone or drive a line on his own. Hertl's already 30-years old and his contract runs to 2030 so they're getting what will likely be a declining forward, but one who probably still has another 2-3 years of decent production alongside their current aging core.

SJS's return is a bit underwhelming considering they're retaining $1.3875M for 6-years, but I kind of see it as them doing Hertl a favor given the years of service he has provided their organization, and now they have cleared $6.75M in cap space for the next 6-years which can help with other moves that could allow them to take on assets. I get the criticism of the return SJS has received for players so far, but Grier has had to find ways to rebuild the team while dealing with expensive players with long term deals who were basically all past their prime (e.g. Burns, Karlsson, etc.). They still have Couture until 2027 and Vlasic until 2026 which I suspect they can "live" with, but I think Grier has actually done relatively well moving out those players and giving SJS a bit of a blank slate to work with along with ample cap space. Comparing Grier's choices so far with Guerin's buyouts of Parise and Suter, I think Grier has probably hamstrung SJS less than MIN. After Burn's retained salary is done next season, they will carry about $3M in retention until 2027 when Karlsson's deal expires. The big question for Grier is if he can actually build a team. This season was a write-off from the get go but I'm sure at least some improvement will be expected for next season.

• Wiener 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Scientific evidence.  There's a very good chance Stone will be back for the playoffs:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435936/

Study Design:

The authors present 2 cases of professional hockey players who both suffered grade III splenic lacerations while playing.

Methods:

Both players were treated conservatively and monitored with serial CT scanning until radiographic and clinical findings suggested complete healing.

Results:

Both players were able to return to full-contact professional hockey within 2 months after suffering grade III splenic lacerations. Neither athlete suffered any complications after his return.

Conclusions:

With CT scanning, 2 athletes were able to return to play earlier (2 months) than previously recommended (3-6 months) without compromising their safety.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

A few months is not round one.  Round one is a month and a half

Does Vegas even have a player development department? They don't ever want to draft and develop it seems like. 

At some point they'll go through a painful reset with the way they're managing their assets. I hope their fall starts next year...heck if they miss playoffs this ye I'd be laughing even though that's unlikely unless Calgary or Seattle come through. 

57 minutes ago, LB28 said:

Goal tending is their Archilles heel. They are going to need some magic from Hill to reclaim the Cup.

5 minutes ago, YourTimeisNow said:

So, does this mean they are not resigning Marchessault? Can’t imagine they keep Hanafin either.

This does make me sick to my stomach. 100 million payroll wtf…

They are nuts if they let March go. They may have to now with this deal. March is an insane playoff performer and I hope they lose him.

2 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

That front office is crazy. What a wild out of left field deal. So much money (even with 17% retention) and term left, but they still pulled the trigger. 

Seems rushed and ill thought. Hope it bites them in the ass hard. 

Just now, Rekker said:

Seems rushed and ill thought. Hope it bites them in the ass hard. 

Yeah I hope so too. Maybe a chance to pick up a good player from them for cheap. 

Wouldn't be the first time they had to dump someone to make their cap work. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

SJS's return is a bit underwhelming considering they're retaining $1.3875M for 6-years

I wonder what would of been offered to SanJose this off season had they shopped that around. Me thinks a lot more.

47 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

dunno, I actually think this wasn't a good move by Vegas. Hertl won't be worth that contract even with retention. He's their next Robidas Island candidate. 

This. It seems rushed and not though out. What about next season? Someone will have to go. How good will he even be this season? Seems like a last minute decision, by both parties. 

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

This. It seems rushed and not though out. What about next season? Someone will have to go. How good will he even be this season? Seems like a last minute decision, by both parties. 

he's really not that good, and can't stay healthy. I think maybe SJ's GM knew what he was doing on this one. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

he's really not that good, and can't stay healthy. I think maybe SJ's GM knew what he was doing on this one. 

And Endtstrom is a heck of a prospect. Man I hope Vegas blows it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

And Endtstrom is a heck of a prospect. Man I hope Vegas blows it.

yep. Bettmans team would be fun to watch crash and burn. Once they take out McBaby that is. 

Edited by Bob Long