[Trade] Hertl to Vegas

With San Jose retaining almost $1.4M it really seems like they lost this trade. Even if Hertl doesn't improve and regain his 2018-19 form (or even 2021-22 form) on a much better team, he's still a very solid 2C. At $6.75M that's a good cap hit for a very solid 2C that plays all situations and is good at face-offs. He's basically an extended version on Lindholm but Vegas paid a little less to acquire him.

How did Vegas manage to walk away from this with 2 3rd round picks as well?

5 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

With San Jose retaining almost $1.4M it really seems like they lost this trade. Even if Hertl doesn't improve and regain his 2018-19 form (or even 2021-22 form) on a much better team, he's still a very solid 2C. At $6.75M that's a good cap hit for a very solid 2C that plays all situations and is good at face-offs. He's basically an extended version on Lindholm but Vegas paid a little less to acquire him.

How did Vegas manage to walk away from this with 2 3rd round picks as well?

When he's healthy. Vegas gave up two thirds, but a first and a very solid A prospect. How effective will Hertl be this season? Meh, dumb trade I hope I can laugh at soon enough. 

You know, I actually liked Vegas when they 1st came into the league. I thought it would have been cool to cheer for them as a secondary team.

Then their LTIR cap circumvention started to happen and I couldn't help but think less and less of them. Now this is even becoming a league-wide problem and not just with a couple of teams.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YourTimeisNow said:

So, does this mean they are not resigning Marchessault? Can’t imagine they keep Hanafin either.

This does make me sick to my stomach. 100 million payroll wtf…

Depends on what he wants, Conn Smythe winner or not he'll be 34 in December, I'd be surprised if he got more than a couple years anywhere

Dunno what kind of raise he'll get, he's earned one, but maybe he takes less to stay on a contender 

Hanifin will be extended, most of Martinez's expiring 5.25M will take care of that

The Hertl cap hit complicates things, they'll have to have space for him and Stone, but walking away from Mantha and Stephenson would help 

They're gonna have to find some cost effective contracts and let some guys go, maybe make a trade

Lehner staying on LTIR next season would help

Edited by Coconuts

57 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You know, I actually liked Vegas when they 1st came into the league. I thought it would have been cool to cheer for them as a secondary team.

Then their LTIR cap circumvention started to happen and I couldn't help but think less and less of them. Now this is even becoming a league-wide problem and not just with a couple of teams.

Yea.

Only problem is Vancouver invented it so I'm not complaining.

I still like the idea of a team in Vegas.

I mean the nice thing would be to have them miss the playoffs because cap wise they can’t bring these guys back early. Then because of Hertl they end up not being able to find the money to make Hanifin or Chandler Stephenson fit losing them for free!

Vegas gets a lot of love from the hockey world but this is an extremely high-risk trade.

The hope here is that it'll help Vegas repeat as cup winners but if they don't theyve handicapped their cap space with key free agents coming up (Martinez, Hanifin, Marshy, Stephenson). Also don't look now but Theodore will come up for renewal soon too and so will Whitecloud and Hague. They'll have tough decisions to make.

They only project to have 14 mil in cap space next off-season (after accounting for Lehner on LTIR) and with those 14 mil they need to fill 7-8 roster spots....

The Hertl, Stone, Petriangelo contracts won't look that great in 2 years.

I'm waiting to see this team crash. I think this year they're starting to show signs of that. Adding a bunch of players on paper doesn't necessarily mean improvement on ice if those players don't gel with the team. I guess we will see...

6 hours ago, chris12345 said:

Yea.

Only problem is Vancouver invented it so I'm not complaining.

I still like the idea of a team in Vegas.

You keep claiming this that Vancouver invented it. Explain it to all of us please

3 hours ago, bh90 said:

Vegas gets a lot of love from the hockey world but this is an extremely high-risk trade.

The hope here is that it'll help Vegas repeat as cup winners but if they don't theyve handicapped their cap space with key free agents coming up (Martinez, Hanifin, Marshy, Stephenson). Also don't look now but Theodore will come up for renewal soon too and so will Whitecloud and Hague. They'll have tough decisions to make.

They only project to have 14 mil in cap space next off-season (after accounting for Lehner on LTIR) and with those 14 mil they need to fill 7-8 roster spots....

The Hertl, Stone, Petriangelo contracts won't look that great in 2 years.

They will find a way around it as they're finding a way around the cap anyways. They don't seem too concerned about being punished because they won't be. They will find a way around those contracts when they need to

4 hours ago, Sneakystink said:

They will find a way around it as they're finding a way around the cap anyways. They don't seem too concerned about being punished because they won't be. They will find a way around those contracts when they need to

Bingo

• Cheers 1

Stone has a lacerated spleen. That is a hard injury to fake. 
‘If we had LTIR space and where defending cup champs I think we would all be upset if we didn’t use the LTIR space to repeat. 
TB was much more sketchy about it than Vegas ever was. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Sneakystink said:

Hard to say though...

Vegas has never had bad contracts on the book and they've always benefited by having "bargain" contracts. 

Year or two will be a first for Vegas as they'll enter their season with large contracts for players that are on the wrong side of 30

21 hours ago, bhoodlum said:

What makes you think the human skidmark Gary Buttman would do anything if he knew? We know he plays favourites, and Vegas is definitely one of them. The only solution to cap circumvention is to have the salary cap in place for the playoffs. 

I am not saying Bettman cares, I'm just taking my stance on whether I think its fair or cheating. 

My proposed solution is that if a player can't be added to the roster by the last day of the season and fit under the cap they have to: A)miss the first round of the playoffs if went on LTIR after the trade deadline, B)miss the first 2 rounds of the playoffs if he went on LTIR before the trade deadline. 

It would actually make for a fair amount of drama as teams have to strategize - Vegas would have had to choose between having their captain miss the first two rounds and get reinforcements to try and make the playoffs or trust the group they have to get there and then get Stone for round 1. 

2 rounds of playoffs is a lot to risk to game the system. 

21 hours ago, WanyeJetski said:

Hope knights miss the playoffs. That would be just the best. 

They are slumping hard. I would die laughing if Mark Stone needed to come back 3 weeks before playoffs lol.