To Those Disappointed about Today's TDL

HKSR

If I had any mild feelings of disappointment they are immediately eradicated by looking at the standings.  We got our shopping done early and so we don't have to fight the crowd for the few remaining shiny new toys.  I'm confident that we're going to be competitive now and later.  It's nice to have competent management.  GCG!

Here's an ego boost.

I seen a post on Facebook about the Hertl trade and people were complaining about Vegas and cap circumvention etc.

Lots of people were saying things like "I hope they get blown out by Vancouver in the first round" and this is by non Canucks fans.

We are a feared team.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

Pleasantly surprised that the feedback has been good.  It's not just the narrative either, what Alvin said today makes so much sense. PA cares a lot about his job and will probable be around for a very long time with results like these. Incredibly cerebral man.

Lindholm would've gone for a bit more today.

Zadorov would've gone for quite a bit more.

Podkolzin stayed and impressed him to the point where Phil was an afterthought. I love these managerial decisions so much!!

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am not upset not if it was going to cost Lekkerimäki and Hoglander or Wallinder. We wouldn’t have had any prospects left which would have made them be right back at the beginning when Benning left in terms of leaving our cupboards bare. No way. Not worth it.

I agree and I also am glad they didn’t trade Tom Willander….

• Haha 1

Not upset at all. Would I have liked the team to pay a couple of draft picks for Toffoli? Sure. But I'm just as happy that we kept those draft picks. As i've said many times those 2nd/3rd round picks could become very valuable if you draft and develop well.

I don't want a one year window. I want us to compete for many years and our top prospects on ELCs will keep that window open. 

I think what Alvin was looking at was a player with term.

Might have cost us to much so you walk.

All in all happy we are still an awesome team that didn't over pay for another player or two.

Any of the bottom 6 players weren't an upgrade to what we have or weren't worth paying for.As Alvin said we needed to move a player out to add so why bother if it doesn't make a big upgrade.

5 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Nothing really happened that I was like ooooooH. I don't think we have seen the best of Lindholm yet.

Our teams biggest problem so far this season is that Pete's a man on an island. 

Miller is really clicking with Brock and Garly is driving the best 3rd line in hockey. 

Pete's gotta click with someone he's got Lindholm, Hoglander, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Lafferty, among them there has to be 2 players he can work with. 

It has worked really good to have him as a distraction since the other team has to put their best defensive players against him.

It makes life easier for Miller and Garland…

I'm disappointed because top teams, who are rivalling our record right now, just went out and acquired depth players to improve their lineup for the future. We're already playing at our best lineup, they aren't. I'm not fussed about Vegas, their record is trash right now, but teams like NYR, Dallas, Winnipeg etc. all got better for the future. We didn't need Guentzel or Buch or any massive names, just a depth winger would have been nice so we're not just relying on Garland and Joshua for depth scoring. Toffoli would have been great obviously but not essential - we've got a team of stars, but a name like Zucker or Duclair or any 15-20 goal scorer would have been huge for this team and wouldn't have costed us much.

I trust managements decisions and extremely happy they didn't sell the farm.  They have done a great job taking the team so far. Toffee would have been a great add I believe and I'm sure they tried hard to make it work. I believe in this group and when they're on, they look dangerous consistently. A healthy Canucks team has a good chance to win it all. If they don't, I hope management looks to make a play for a player with tons playoff experience similar to the Sundin move in the past. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Wing said:

Not upset at all. Would I have liked the team to pay a couple of draft picks for Toffoli? Sure. But I'm just as happy that we kept those draft picks. As i've said many times those 2nd/3rd round picks could become very valuable if you draft and develop well.

I don't want a one year window. I want us to compete for many years and our top prospects on ELCs will keep that window open. 

Case in point - Demko and Hoglander.

• Vintage 2

it's disappointing because other team went up and address their "need" canucks went out to grab the shiny toy that was possibly unnecessary. Lindholm at the time was a good pickup because it was under the assumption he would be an upgrade on kuzmenko offensively and defensively.. it worked out he's only an upgrade defensively... with the way the 3rd line of garland joshua bluegar was playing.. we had a way bigger need of a top 6 winger than we do in a top 6 center.. if the purpose of trading for lindholm was to force ep to sign a contract?? that's beyond dumb.. coz it obviously had 0 effect on EP willingness to sign the contract until the trade talk began.. they could have forced an answer out of EP prior to lindholm trade.. once joshua is back.. you'll prolly see the bleugar garland joshua line again.. then where the heck does lindholm play?? he didn't exactly work with EP nor is he working with miller.. defensively we were fine without lindholm we needed to address the top 6 winger issue which we never ended up doing. we essentially traded a guy playing in the top 6 for a guy to play currently in the bottom 6 throwing the chemistry all out of whack and we have been struggling to score ever since the trade.. and what sucks about the deal?? almost every team out there was able to get 50-75% retention on all the trades that allows them to add depth player.. we got 0 retention out of an expiring ufa.. they should have gotten at least 2mil worth of retention on lindholm since 2mil of kuzmenko's contract was signing bonus and already paid out this season.. other teams paid around the same if not less than us and all gotten multiple retentions. if we would have gotten lindholm with retention.. then we could have easily gone after a toffoli without even having to cap dump mikheyev

7 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Nothing really happened that I was like ooooooH. I don't think we have seen the best of Lindholm yet.

Our teams biggest problem so far this season is that Pete's a man on an island. 

Miller is really clicking with Brock and Garly is driving the best 3rd line in hockey. 

Pete's gotta click with someone he's got Lindholm, Hoglander, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Lafferty, among them there has to be 2 players he can work with. 

If for any reason he doesn't, it will be managements biggest job next year, to find him someone, with whom he clicks. 

29 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

it's disappointing because other team went up and address their "need" canucks went out to grab the shiny toy that was possibly unnecessary. Lindholm at the time was a good pickup because it was under the assumption he would be an upgrade on kuzmenko offensively and defensively.. it worked out he's only an upgrade defensively... with the way the 3rd line of garland joshua bluegar was playing.. we had a way bigger need of a top 6 winger than we do in a top 6 center.. if the purpose of trading for lindholm was to force ep to sign a contract?? that's beyond dumb.. coz it obviously had 0 effect on EP willingness to sign the contract until the trade talk began.. they could have forced an answer out of EP prior to lindholm trade.. once joshua is back.. you'll prolly see the bleugar garland joshua line again.. then where the heck does lindholm play?? he didn't exactly work with EP nor is he working with miller.. defensively we were fine without lindholm we needed to address the top 6 winger issue which we never ended up doing. we essentially traded a guy playing in the top 6 for a guy to play currently in the bottom 6 throwing the chemistry all out of whack and we have been struggling to score ever since the trade.. and what sucks about the deal?? almost every team out there was able to get 50-75% retention on all the trades that allows them to add depth player.. we got 0 retention out of an expiring ufa.. they should have gotten at least 2mil worth of retention on lindholm since 2mil of kuzmenko's contract was signing bonus and already paid out this season.. other teams paid around the same if not less than us and all gotten multiple retentions. if we would have gotten lindholm with retention.. then we could have easily gone after a toffoli without even having to cap dump mikheyev

... should have gotten at least 2M retension on Linholm...?

How do you get to that comclusion. Its only in Vegas the mob can make them an offer they can't refuse...

Calgary was in no hurry to get rid of Lindholm. They knew he'd be hot commodity come TDL, where he would be if not the most thought after player, then close to... 

So if Canucks wanted him they had to pay up... and lets not forget, in order to make room for him Kuz needed to be part of the deal, so I don't get where you find the idea, we could have held a knife to their throat and forced them to take retension...

PS. Allvin had just bent over Flames and spanked them with a 5th for Zadorov.... They were bever gonna let Canucks get an easy ride with Lindholm. 

Edited by spook007
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, spook007 said:

... should have gotten at least 2M retension on Linholm...?

How do you get to that comclusion. Its only in Vegas the mob can make them an offer they can't refuse...

Calgary was in no hurry to get rid of Lindholm. They knew he'd be hot commodity come TDL, where he would be if not the most thought after player, then close to... 

So if Canucks wanted him they had to pay up... and lets not forget, in order to make room for him Kuz needed to be part of the deal, so I don't get where you find the idea, we could have held a knife to their throat and forced them to take retension...

PS. Allvin had just bent over Flames and spanked them with a 5th for Zadorov.... They were bever gonna let Canucks get an easy ride with Lindholm. 

toffoli was traded at 50% retention, guentzel was traded at 25% rent. hanafin traded for 75% retention literally almost all the players that had a decent size cap hit was traded with retention to further allow them to make depth trade.. and 1st rounders came with condition ie vegas can still use and trade their 1st rounder this year if they want.. carolina 1st rounder becomes a 2nd since they likely ain't going to the final with that goaltending.. there was never a bidding war for zadorov.. not at full cap hit.. no body wanted zadorov at 4mil as it limits their ability to add anything as the season goes on. so no we didn't bend over anything

I has highly disappointed. 

Phil with the personality, Phil the three time Stanley Cup winner, Phil the Thrill was not signed!

I'm talking about Phil Kessel here!

I like Phil! 

As with many Canuck fans, I was anticipating something to happen trade wise for us. PVR'd the last hour of TSN's TDL show, Donnie and Dahli, and Real Kyper and Bourne. Got home from work, settled in to my easy chair and proceeded to watch. 

So far nuthin'. Okay. What about the Kessel thing. Hmmmmm.........Podz got sent down............D 'n' D (Donnie and Dahli) speculating Podz move to make room for Philsy...........Hmmmmm...........Still nuthin' on the trade front.

So the big names are out and obviously the cost was too much for our current management to bear. Thank you Jim Benning, "for the mess you made when you went away!" (Yea. I pilfered that from Alanis Morrisette!:classic_biggrin:)    Hmmmmm.............Hopeful we might get a cheap big dude for the bottom six..............What?????!?!?!?!?? Kessel's out?!?!??!?!?

Okay. I get it. JR/PA were adamant on giving up any of our promising prospects. I'm totally fine with that decision. No 1st or 2nd rounders to offer. I get that too. We can't completely obliterate our future now can we..................Hmmmmmm...................

TDL has past and we couldn't swing any deals. Aroo.........But I'm fine with it. As mentioned earlier we made our TDL moves earlier than everyone else. And now we'll rock with this group that so far has shown that they can compete. 

I'm of the ilk that there's no doubt that our boys can make some noise in the payoffs. And PA's confidence of our prospect depth in helping the cause is encouraging. We're as yet unproven in the second season, but now this group gets a real chance to show us their stuff.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!:towel:

Edited by Sativika

Personally think we are in a good place with team and prospects.  Glad we didn't co.promise out ability to compete the next few years with Hughes Petey Miller Boeser and Demko all signed and Hronek an RFA we have a strong core and can fill the gaps with players as they come ready.  Looks like we will need Bains and Pods in to fill in gaps next year. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

toffoli was traded at 50% retention, guentzel was traded at 25% rent. hanafin traded for 75% retention literally almost all the players that had a decent size cap hit was traded with retention to further allow them to make depth trade.. and 1st rounders came with condition ie vegas can still use and trade their 1st rounder this year if they want.. carolina 1st rounder becomes a 2nd since they likely ain't going to the final with that goaltending.. there was never a bidding war for zadorov.. not at full cap hit.. no body wanted zadorov at 4mil as it limits their ability to add anything as the season goes on. so no we didn't bend over anything

We moved off two years of Cruise Missile (emphasis on the cruise) which cost a first and a third. Would we get Lindy for Brusnevic and Jurmo at the TDL? Other clubs would pay way more by including A level prospects. The cost would have been Willander and Lekkerimaki! Thank goodness we have competent management now and not the former guy, the Moran.