To Those Disappointed about Today's TDL

HKSR

3 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Personally think they should go more simpler in future contracts and do away with retention to circumvent the cap.  Also need to control the LTIR based circumvention too.  

Pretty bad that Toronto and Vegas can blatantly circumvent the cap and we are paying the Luongo cap recapture for a contract that was legal and approved by the league that they later said circumvented the cap.  Rules are never the same for everyone so they need to be more simple.  

Agree 100%

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

we paid to for them to take kuzmenko and it's not like kuzmenko had much actual salary remaining this year to pay. if they negotiate even 25% retention on any one of the player that's 1 extra depth player we could have signed or traded

It wasn't the salary... it was the cap space. We needed to 'dump' Kuz as we needed the cap space to make improvements. 

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

For sure. Of course. With that said making 11.6m we aren't going to be able to afford 8m in wingers to put next to him he's going to need to make it work as a 16-17m line. We need to have some money left to ice a bottom 6 and respectable D corps. 

True, and I would honestly hope, that an $11.6M Players doesn'tn't need an $8M winger to be successful. 
If that is the case, we wasted $11.6M. 
Hence, its PAs job to find an affordable wingerthat would benifit Petey vice verse. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I thought I saw glimpses of the old Mik over the last few games. Hopefully not a mirage.

His skating and positioning are looking good.  He just needs to score a goal and then open

up them floodgates!

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

Personally think it will be more Hogs and Pods than Suter.  

If we are fully healthy I would do this.  

Miller Lindstrom Boeser

Hogs Petey Pods

Joshua Bluegar Gnarly

PDG (Suter or Aman) Lafferty

To me we have 4 power forwards of varying skills in that lineup. Miller, Pods, Jodhua and PDG.  Grit is what we need for the playoffs.  

Z, Juuls and Soucy to add grit from the back end.  

If we can get that Petey line going with those young guys we will be dangerous for years.  

You're missing Mik from that line-up.

I'm guessing what we will eventually see is:

Mik-Miller-Boes

Hogs-Petey-Lindholm

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Pods/PDG-Suter-Laff

If you want Lindholm to run his own line, then he replaces Bluegar and Bluegar goes down to the 4th and Pods or Suter moves up to line 2. But I feel like the line up above gets you the strongest top 6 we can have, and a great 3rd line and a pretty good 4th line.

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

True, and I would honestly hope, that an $11.6M Players doesn'tn't need an $8M winger to be successful. 
Hence, its PAs job to find an affordable wingerthat would benifit Petey vice verse. 

Starts the season in Abby and then in January, it's Mr. Lekkerimaki, come on down! 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well, I mean Mackinnon has $9.25m winger Mikko Rantanen. Pretty sure Mackinnon is going to be a lot more successful with Rantanen than without him. 

Just like Petey would be a lot more successful with a higher end winger than without one.

Don't think anyone would say Mackinnon is a waste of $12.6m

18 hours ago, HKSR said:

We need to look at today's TDL from the lens of what PA/JR have done this season. 

Think back to the end of the 2022/23 season...

38-37-7 for 83 points. 

6th in the Pacific Division.

22nd overall in the NHL.

Sept 19 2023:  Off season comes along and PA/JR acquire Casey DeSmith.

Oct 8 2023:  Before the 2023/24 regular season even begins... along comes another trade... Sam Lafferty.

Nice, ok, let's hope we make the playoffs this year.

Oct 17 2023:  Before the ink even dries on the trade above, another one is completed for good measure... Mark Friedman.

Canucks are now 15-7-1 ... one of the best teams in the NHL with a 0.674 winning %.

Nov 30 2023:  Even as we were one of the best teams in the NHL, PA/JR continued to pour it on and add more to the line up... Nikita Zadorov.

Canucks are now 2 months out from the Zadorov trade.  They are 33-11-5 with a 0.724% winning %.  Pretty much tops in the entire NHL!

Jan 31 2024:  Currently the best team in the NHL.  What do PA/JR do?  They make a huge splash to improve the team even further by acquiring arguably the top player available this TDL in Elias Lindholm.

Canucks did all of this while teams like COL, WPG, VGK, DAL, EDM, etc. sat on their hands. 

Mar 8 2024:  TDL comes along and finally these other teams are making their moves to "catch up" to the Canucks.

That's the big picture people.  Like I said in the TDL thread, if the Lindholm trade happened today instead of Jan 31st, I'm pretty sure 99% of us would be ecstatic. 

Now we just wait and hope the team builds the chemistry we need heading into the playoffs.  We've begun to see glimpses of that the past few games... a 9 game home stand should help that along even more.

TLDR:  Canucks were 1st in the NHL.  That means we were toe-to-toe against COL, VGK, WPG, DAL, etc WITHOUT Elias Lindholm.  One month before the TDL we made our move to take a big step forward in front of those other teams by acquiring Lindholm.  Today, those teams above are reacting to what we did.  They technically are just playing catch up.

Go Canucks Go! 

Don’t forget that our acquisitions this year(Ladd, DeSmith, Lindholm and Zadorov could ALL end up as rentals.  So making more rental trades at TDL would not have been prudent.  Let’s see what we have with this group.  

51 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Starts the season in Abby and then in January, it's Mr. Lekkerimaki, come on down! 

Eventually I expect Lekki to be on his wing, but not sure it will be in 6 months... Maybe, just a little concerned about his slight frame... skills wise, he could be his wing already... Its a different animal in the NHL than the bigger rinks in Sweden.. (and yes I know Petey did it 🙂 )

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

That's a lot to grab Toffoli...

The 2nd was a high 2nd, so like a low 1st.

So for us it realistically would have been a package of:

Mikheyev, 1st, 3rd, and Raty...

In OUR case a 2nd is a 2nd, stop bending the facts your way. No way we would have trade a 1st for Tofu. 
well it is what it is, but it’s not only us not getting the missing piece, it’s the Pegs, already right behind us, having strengthened. 

48 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Well, I mean Mackinnon has $9.25m winger Mikko Rantanen. Pretty sure Mackinnon is going to be a lot more successful with Rantanen than without him. 

Just like Petey would be a lot more successful with a higher end winger than without one.

Don't think anyone would say Mackinnon is a waste of $12.6m

We could put any of Miller or Boeser on Petey wing, but then we break the chemistry on their line.. They could put Lindholm on his line, but that didn't click just now... And then they could find a cheaper value winger for him... 🙂

Its not as if we are swimming in extra cash with OEL penalty coming up...  But of course If we got $9-10M winger for Petey, he is more likely to score more...

My point was that at $11.6M you'd expect to be able to lead a line even without a star winger... I'm pretty sure MacKinnon could drive a line without Rantanen, if they wanted to spread it out...

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

We could put any of Miller or Boeser on Petey wing, but then we break the chemistry on their line.. They could put Lindholm on his line, but that didn't click just now... And then they could find a cheaper value winger for him... 🙂

Its not as if we are swimming in extra cash with OEL penalty coming up...  But of course If we got $9-10M winger for Petey, he is more likely to score more...

My point was that at $11.6M you'd expect to be able to lead a line even without a star winger... I'm pretty sure MacKinnon could drive a line without Rantanen, if they wanted to spread it out...

I feel like we barely gave Petey and Lindholm a chance to develop chemistry. What did they get? 2 games together? And honestly, Hogs, Petey and Lindholm didn't look bad together at all.

I do agree that Petey is not likely going to get a $9m winger anytime soon because of that OEL hit. I do think him and Hogs are gaining that chemistry and have looked good together. I think since Hogs has moved up to Petey's line he's on pace for 33ish goals or something if he was there for 82 games. Pretty damn good. Petey can definitely drive his own line, and he's proven it in my opinion.

Oh definitely Mac can carry a line without Rantanen, my point was he's going to look better with a player of Rantanen's skill. Just like Petey would look better with a guy of that skill level, which he has never had or even close other than the few times he gets played with Boes and Miller. (BTW, not comparing Petey to Mac, Mac is definitely the better player, was just using it as an example.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DexM94 said:

In OUR case a 2nd is a 2nd, stop bending the facts your way. No way we would have trade a 1st for Tofu. 
well it is what it is, but it’s not only us not getting the missing piece, it’s the Pegs, already right behind us, having strengthened. 

I'm not bending anything.  Not all draft picks in a round are the same.  The actual draft number is what matters.  The 2nd sent to NJ was a Montreal pick... so likely #37 to #40 range in the draft.  Our 1st is quite possibly in the #28 range.  Our 2nd likely in the #55 or later range.  Hence our 1st is a lot closer in value to that MTL 2nd that was given up.

We already strengthened on Jan 31st with Lindholm.  WPG was reacting to that.

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not bending anything.  Not all draft picks in a round are the same.  The actual draft number is what matters.  The 2nd sent to NJ was a Montreal pick... so likely #37 to #40 range in the draft.  Our 1st is quite possibly in the #28 range.  Our 2nd likely in the #55 or later range.  Hence our 1st is a lot closer in value to that MTL 2nd that was given up.

We already strengthened on Jan 31st with Lindholm.  WPG was reacting to that.

Ok ok... if you don't see the pb of acting like my proposition contained a 1st instead of a 2nd, i can't do anything. 
Just a thought about WPG, they were right behind us BEFORE adding. Now adding the player we should have targeted in priority, a soon 30 goal scorer without giving too much, if its not bothering you...

but just a question, since when do you follow the canucks ? since when do you waiting for the Cup ? because since the 93-94season i'm starving. And these are those frustrated moves (or non moves i should say) that can make the waiting even longer. 

Edited by DexM94

Lots of self soothing in this thread. 
feels more like a support group. 
I wonder how many people in here would still feel the same if we made a trade. 

We needed a forward. Stop pretending we didn’t to make yourself feel better. 

11 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

Ok ok... if you don't see the pb of acting like my proposition contained a 1st instead of a 2nd, i can't do anything. 
Just a thought about WPG, they were right behind us BEFORE adding. Now adding the player we should have targeted in priority, a soon 30 goal scorer without giving too much, if its not bothering you...

but just a question, since when do you follow the canucks ? since when do you waiting for the Cup ? because since the 93-94season i'm starving. And these are those frustrated moves (or non moves i should say) that can make the waiting even longer. 

Nah I'm just saying if we trying to dump Mik on NJ while also acquiring Toffoli, the likelihood is it would be very expensive.  Especially since Mik still has term left on his contract.  

Canucks were 1st OA in the league BEFORE adding Lindholm.  

This year won't be our only shot at the cup.  Not giving up our top prospects allows us to keep the window open longer.  Rare for a team to head into the playoffs as a team for the 1st time and win it all.  It takes some growing pains.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Eventually I expect Lekki to be on his wing, but not sure it will be in 6 months... Maybe, just a little concerned about his slight frame... skills wise, he could be his wing already... Its a different animal in the NHL than the bigger rinks in Sweden.. (and yes I know Petey did it 🙂 )

I'm assuming that Lekker will be joining the Abby team before the season is over and playing

in the playoffs.  That's a great time to get a feel for the NA game and to determine what he

needs to work on in the offseason.  Then he can return in the fall and continue his development

in Abby.

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This year won't be our only shot at the cup.  Not giving up our top prospects allows us to keep the window open longer.  Rare for a team to head into the playoffs as a team for the 1st time and win it all.  It takes some growing pains.

So... why giving our 1st to Lindholm, a guy that will not re sign with us, if you don't play the game entirely by adding the missing pieces ? 

speaking out growing pains, a pain that grows since 30 years isnt enough ?  

I’ve not been around here much during the TDL and I can only imagine that the angst was strong at our inactivity as as the deadline approached and ultimately passed. 

All I can say is that I am way more pleased we kept Hogz, Podz and our blue chip prospects than I am disappointed that we didn’t do anything at the TDL. I think this team has more than a punchers chance at the Cup this year….though I ultimately think our best chance will come when Lekk and young Tom W. are on the team and Miller still hasn’t quite aged out, and Quinn and Petey are in their absolute Primes. That will be the sweet spot for our legit Cup run years.

• Like 1

Just now, DexM94 said:

So... why giving our 1st to Lindholm, a guy that will not re sign with us, if you don't play the game entirely by adding the missing pieces ? 

We didn’t give a first for Lindhom. The cost to dumperoo two years of Cruise Missike was a first and a third. Lindy cost us a B level prospect and C level prospect. 

2 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

Because Lindholm is worth more than Toffoli.  We don't know if he will re-sign yet or not either.  We can afford to re-sign him if we trade Mikheyev.

I feel you.  It has been painful being a Canucks fan.  I have hope with this core though.  Hughes is the difference from all previous cores.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Because Lindholm is worth more than Toffoli.  We don't know if he will re-sign yet or not either.  We can afford to re-sign him if we trade Mikheyev.

I feel you.  It has been painful being a Canucks fan.  I have hope with this core though.  Hughes is the difference from all previous cores.

Do you remember Brown and Lumme ? we've already had a good D corps in the 90'. 
regarding this season, i have the feeling in my guts we have just missed our opportunity by an inch... a Toffolinch. 
hope they prove me wrong with a strong run. 

Edited by DexM94