[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

4 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

And Luke schenn didn't become the all time hits leader by giving out handshakes. I don't mind paying someone to hit but you aren't going to give a McDonald's worker $30an hour no matter how well they flip a burger.

so who's the "Luke" thats waiting in the wings for us to sign? we have a very good player here now, who wants to be here. 

here's the list: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2025/caphit/all/defense/ufa?stats-season=2024

who's better at 4-4.5?

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

And Luke schenn didn't become the all time hits leader by giving out handshakes. I don't mind paying someone to hit but you aren't going to give a McDonald's worker $30an hour no matter how well they flip a burger.

Luke was in the minors when we called him up. His career was pretty much done. Then he got to play with Hughes. From those minutes with Hughes he was able to get himself a nice contract. But without Hughes he reverted back to the minor leaguer he was before. 
Big Z is a far superior player to Luke. Using Luke as a comparable would be making Big Z a 7 mil per year player. A better comparable is a guy we already have in Soucy. Big Z adds a physical presence, so would garner more. He will get a bigger contract than the 16 million CBJ gave to Guddy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Luke was in the minors when we called him up. His career was pretty much done. Then he got to play with Hughes. From those minutes with Hughes he was able to get himself a nice contract. But without Hughes he reverted back to the minor leaguer he was before. 
Big Z is a far superior player to Luke. Using Luke as a comparable would be making Big Z a 7 mil per year player. A better comparable is a guy we already have in Soucy. Big Z adds a physical presence, so would garner more. He will get a bigger contract than the 16 million CBJ gave to Guddy. 

4x4.25 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There's fantasy hockey team building and then there's the actual market. We have a pretty significant piece of the d group here now. It isn't always the case that players want to be in this market.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A better comparable is a guy we already have in Soucy. Big Z adds a physical presence, so would garner more. He will get a bigger contract than the 16 million CBJ gave to Guddy. 

I used that comparable already. Soucy is a more steady player, blocks more shots too. Could give Z an extra bit for being a policeman so 3.5.

Guddys contract is an anchor and CBJ would have to pay to move him.

7 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I used that comparable already. Soucy is a more steady player, blocks more shots too. Could give Z an extra bit for being a policeman so 3.5.

Big Z will have a team pay him 20+ million. There’s zero chance he signs anywhere for less than that. 

• Cheers 2

the numbers don't really back this up tho: https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8477507&p2=8474574&p3=8477369&p4=0&p5=0

Myers is definitely the guy that brings a pairing down a bit, vs either Soucy or Z.

CBJ is a crap heap no doubt. 

I can see arguing that a player is overpaid, but I still don't know who you think we'd be able to replace him with next season. No one in our system, and I don't see a left side UFA thats a slam dunk either. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I would like to avoid an Eirhoff situation. That being said our D corps was never nearly as dangerous without him and he was never dangerous again after he left. 

That's the thing... it career v $

Anson Carter was another, who chose the $ and vanished...

I would also hope we never get into the Erhoff situation again, but at least we have his rights, so he won't just vanish into thin air. 

If he is unhappy, he may sign short term, and then its up to PA if they will trade him, or use him for another run before OELs max penalty years, and then just let him go... at that stage, the cap space may be gold for us, if we have other priority signings...(Boeser etc)

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • MillerTime 1

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That's the thing... it career v $

Anson Carter was another, who chose the $ and vanished...

I would also hope we never get into the Erhoff situation again, but at least we have his rights, so he won't just vanish into thin air. 

If he is unhappy, he may sign short term, and then its up to PA if they will trade him, or use him for another run before OELs max penalty years, and then just let him go... at that stage, the cap space may be gold for us, if we have other priority signings...(Boeser etc)

one thing to consider is if we extend Hronek 4 or 5 years past Hughes deal, and then with Willander coming in, our skilled puck moving won't be decimated if Hughes decides to move on to NJ, e.g. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

so who's the "Luke" thats waiting in the wings for us to sign? we have a very good player here now, who wants to be here. 

here's the list: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2025/caphit/all/defense/ufa?stats-season=2024

who's better at 4-4.5?

You don't spend 4.5 million on a #6 dman... there is such a thing as a salary cap. We have hoglander and boeser up for renewal after next year and at the same time OEL'S cap penalty goes full fledge. We can't go full Benning on the bottom of the lineup.

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

You don't spend 4.5 million on a #6 dman...

That's where we differ, I think by stats and eye test he his top 4 quality 

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

there is such a thing as a salary cap. We have hoglander and boeser up for renewal after next year and at the same time OEL'S cap penalty goes full fledge. We can't go full Benning on the bottom of the lineup.

This isn't anything like Benning tho. 

• Cheers 1

6th in average ice time is a hell of a stat to ignore. 

How many minutes does Hogs play? Players have roles and with each there is an added value, especially if it’s a unique quality. Big Z has unique qualities near to impossible to replace. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How many minutes does Hogs play? Players have roles and with each there is an added value, especially if it’s a unique quality. Big Z has unique qualities near to impossible to replace. 

Hoglander was on the 4th line for most of the season. Since he was bumped up to the 2nd line? Over 13 minutes of 5 on 5, thats above Blueger, Joshua and Garlands season average.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:13 PM, WHL rocks said:

Doesn't matter. They're not going to pay any Dman on this team more than Quinn Hughes. So less than $7.85 million.

Hronek isn't an 8 million dollar player anyways. He's a good player. $7 mill max. 

Exactly 

People speculating online have gotten out of hand.  

The only way that Hronek gets over 7 million is because of inflation. 

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

one thing to consider is if we extend Hronek 4 or 5 years past Hughes deal, and then with Willander coming in, our skilled puck moving won't be decimated if Hughes decides to move on to NJ, e.g. 

Absolutely + Hughes is also likely more interested in staying, if he knows, who his playing partner is...

However if Hronek don't like Canucks offer... in the end everyone has a cap number in the front office plans, but whether that fits in with the player himself is the question.

I hope they can come to an agreement on a long term contract... It's better for all involved, if we know approx, what we have going forward... 

I normally hate too long contracts, and would rather lose a good player, then having to pay 7-8 for less than stellar play, but Hronek and Quinn has been a good combination, and you never know for sure, what you'll get next... Better the devil sort of thing...

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Big Z will have a team pay him 20+ million. There’s zero chance he signs anywhere for less than that. 

There is zero chance Zadorov gets less than a 33 year old Radko Gudas, who signed for 4x3 as a UFA. 

Even Nikita Zaitsev got a 4.5x7 contract. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 Hughes 24:46

2 Hronek  23:43

3 Myers 18:57

4 Cole 18:49

5 Soucy 17:31

6 Zadorov 17:04

7 Juulsen 14:51

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2024.html

It would be tough to justify giving Zadorov much more then Carson Soucy.  Now it just happens that we signed Soucy during the most depressed summer free agency in recent history of the NHL so that has to be accounted for as well.   

In any case, I think that the ice time difference between Zadorov and Soucy is negligible.  Myers and Cole have definitely played bigger parts, but Big Z and Soucy could take over the number 3 and 4 spots in a year or two as age catches up.  

If Zadorov all of a sudden wants much more then 4 million per year, then it's a contract that simply cannot be afforded as it messes up our internal cap structure.  

4.5 million x 6 years is absolutely the max that I'd be willing to go with for Zadorov. 

4.25 x 4 years is what I'm betting on as the most likely. 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is zero chance Zadorov gets less than a 33 year old Radko Gudas, who signed for 4x3 as a UFA. 

Even Nikita Zaitsev got a 4.5x7 contract. 

Radko Gudas was pretty highly regarded last summer when he signed.  He had just finished helping Florida get to the Cup Final. 

18 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

1 Hughes 24:46

2 Hronek  23:43

3 Myers 18:57

4 Cole 18:49

5 Soucy 17:31

6 Zadorov 17:04

7 Juulsen 14:51

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2024.html

You forgot to point out the fact that Zadorov has 68 penalty minutes in 39 games with the Canucks. Soucy only has 4. So that significantly cuts into his ice time and messes up his average TOI. There are games where Zadorov has played less than 10 minutes because he was in the penalty box due to defending his teammates. 

• Cheers 2