[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

20 minutes ago, The Duke said:

But, two, it’s a bit more complicated than that.  Hughes-Hronek pair are deployed as our bully stack. Tocchet uses them to tilt the ice and it’s where we create our advantage. As much as Hughes is the “driver” there’s no doubt he’s seriously improved since being paired with Hronek. From allstar to Norris. 

So glad you mentioned this. I've been repeating a similar through line all season. Especially to counter-balance the narrative that Hughes is simply carrying and inflating Hronek.

I've also been sharing the video below - despite it being early in the season - because it accurately explains what has allowed Hughes to go from all-star to Norris, and that's his complimentary and intuitive play with Hronek to create chaos and high danger chances. It also shows how quickly both Hughes and Hronek became so effective.

This video really simplifies why their success  has been so dynamic in such a short amount of time.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. He is.

Think we will give him a good offer, but if he gets gready, they'll sign his qualifying offer and then trade him. 
I think he is a good player, and I am delighted that we signed him however, with recap penalty upcoming, we will need to be wary of how much we pay the players. Hughes has shown he makes everybody better, so they'll be able to find another rhd, if they have to. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

Throw in he’s also a righty.  People playing hardball trying to get him sub-7 is ask:  who are you landing for that money if we let Hronek go?   RHD get paid more.  Especially ones in their prime who’ve held down top pairing roles on top of the league teams.

2 hours ago, The Duke said:

We also have nothing in the system ready to take on his role.  Willander is no guarantee and just a name so far as the next season (and likely the one after that) is concerned. 

Two more great points! We finally have that top young RHD we were begging and demanding management to add. We already know how hard it is to get/have one of this caliber on our blueline. 

Now is our time and Hronek's. We have the right top duo for us to contend. We're fortunate. I'm confident management will get this done right.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

This is a critical contact in a couple ways.  One, obviously keeping your top of the lineup players’ contracts reasonable is key to winning.  

But, two, it’s a bit more complicated than that.  Hughes-Hronek pair are deployed as our bully stack. Tocchet uses them to tilt the ice and it’s where we create our advantage. As much as Hughes is the “driver” there’s no doubt he’s seriously improved since being paired with Hronek. From allstar to Norris. 

Throw in he’s also a righty.  People playing hardball trying to get him sub-7 is ask:  who are you landing for that money if we let Hronek go?   RHD get paid more.  Especially ones in their prime who’ve held down top pairing roles on top of the league teams.

And, if you’re thinking of trading him to recoup assets, now we’re likely delaying the other RFA/ UFA players while waiting for cost certainty at the top of the lineup. We also have nothing in the system ready to take on his role.  Willander is no guarantee and just a name so far as the next season (and likely the one after that) is concerned. 

I’m not saying give him carte blanche, but if he’s willing to take anything that starts with a 7 I think we’re very happy. With that said, if for some strange reason he didn’t want to go long term I’d also be fine with anything as short as a 3 year deal.

Good points that most here agree with.

For this contract to work for both sides I think a number around 7.25-7.5 would work.

If Hronek wants to win that's fair market.If he wants more I really think management will think hard and not rush into a signing.

Will be interesting to see what Hronek wants as he couldn't ask for a better partner to play with.

• Cheers 1

It would be interesting to split Hughes - Hronek up for the remainder of the season to gauge his value.

If Hronek is able to carry the second pairing and post good numbers, it would go along way to help determining value (in my mind anyway)

When I say numbers I mean, Corsi (shots for and against), plus minus. puck possession, points and so on. 

I'm not opposed to paying him $7 $7.25 but at $8 million or over we're kinda talking about #1 D-man money, not 2nd or 3rd money.

I feel his game and numbers drop off dramatically when he's not playing with Hughes...I may very well be wrong though...

which is why I'd like to see how he plays without  Hughes. 

I'd like to think we could get a good young #2-#4 D-man and possibly a pick for Hronek in a trade this summer. His value may never be higher.

Even if a new player came in somewhere around $3-5 million it would free up a lot of $$$ to resign others.

You could potentially get two $4 million dollar D-men for the cost of Hroneks next contract.         

Edited by Blitz-Pix

On a separate note...

I hope management explores the possibility of trading Lindy's rights before July 1st...if we're not resigning him. 

Perhaps trading his rights to Boston for a 5th round pick, which turns into a 3rd or 4th if he ends up signing there.

Would like to try and recoup something for him if we're not going to resign him.  

I think we should be thankful that we have one of the top first line D pairings in the league and not put Hronek on a line to make him show us he can carry his own. If the plan is to keep these two exceptional Dmen together long-term, which I think it should be, then we pay him fair market value at the 7.25-8 range for term. 

You don’t dick your star players around in ice time and spots to try lower their value while pretending to be in GM mode. You try to win games. 

As many others have stated, we’d be harder pressed to find someone to fill his role as well as he’s done if we were to move on from him. 

Hughes and Hronek are the perfect complement to an up and coming D core of Willander, D Petey, and a currently blossoming Juulsen. 

• Cheers 1

I don't disagree Hronek benefits Huggy. But lets also remember Huggy only just turned 24 in October. How much of his ascent is natural development and how much is Hronek is up for debate. Hronek at 26 years old went from 35 points to like 55 points. I think it's much safer to say he benefits much more from the pairing than Huggy does. Huggy can play with me and still drop 75+ points. He dropped 76 playing with Schenner and Juulsen last year. Nobody is saying they don't want Hronek. People are saying 8+mil is unrealistic for him. But hey, ask high, so when you end up lower you look like a hero. He'll sign around 7mil and everyone will be happy and we can pat him on the back for "leaving money on the table" when he actually just got fair value for what he brings.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I think we should be thankful that we have one of the top first line D pairings in the league and not put Hronek on a line to make him show us he can carry his own. If the plan is to keep these two exceptional Dmen together long-term, which I think it should be, then we pay him fair market value at the 7.25-8 range for term. 

You don’t dick your star players around in ice time and spots to try lower their value while pretending to be in GM mode. You try to win games. 

As many others have stated, we’d be harder pressed to find someone to fill his role as well as he’s done if we were to move on from him. 

Hughes and Hronek are the perfect complement to an up and coming D core of Willander, D Petey, and a currently blossoming Juulsen. 

its interesting to me that we've seen JR/PA make fair offers, and really it was only Bo that didn't like the final 7 mil offer if I recall it correctly. I suspect if Hronek does walk, it would be because he has a really high number in mind. 

46 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its interesting to me that we've seen JR/PA make fair offers, and really it was only Bo that didn't like the final 7 mil offer if I recall it correctly. I suspect if Hronek does walk, it would be because he has a really high number in mind. 

I was just about to say the same thing. I can’t envision a world where we only qualify Hronek. I think it will be extension or deal around the draft. 

• MillerTime 1

8 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

So you’re saying Hronek should get 8.5/yr?

no but u can see why they will look at him as a higher end of the comparable. i've always questioned whether or not hronek will be here long term when the trade happened, because i think the playing in vancouver will cost hronek a lot of money on his contract. i was under the assumption at the time he was gonna play on the 2nd pairing and no pp1 time. but on most othe teams he would be a #1 defenceman with pp1 time.. well half of that is true.. he have no pp1 time but play on the top pairing.. but as a #2 defenceman instead and people are saying hughes is the reason why when simply his production is no difference from when it was on detroit overall.. and give 0 consideration to the fact he's playing with much superior forwards that also contributed to his production. he ain't coming in under 7.25 i still say 7.5-8. for those that are saying they can replace hronek with tanev and wait for willander.. no they can't.. the canucks ain't going to waste years of their current window with miller and wait for willander who's going to be at least 1 more year away.. and even if he makes it will not be a top 4 prolly for another couple more season right away. if the canucks offered the contract last off season.. maybe under 7 was realistic.. but they gambled on it and didn't negotiate during last off season so they'll end up either having to pay up or trade him imo.

i think this fan base is weird.. they are unwilling to say overpay hronek a little yet they are ok with holding on to mikheyev and garland who are obviously well overpaid for their role on the team as well as garland have played this year. 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

no but u can see why they will look at him as a higher end of the comparable. i've always questioned whether or not hronek will be here long term when the trade happened, because i think the playing in vancouver will cost hronek a lot of money on his contract. i was under the assumption at the time he was gonna play on the 2nd pairing and no pp1 time. but on most othe teams he would be a #1 defenceman with pp1 time.. well half of that is true.. he have no pp1 time but play on the top pairing.. but as a #2 defenceman instead and people are saying hughes is the reason why when simply his production is no difference from when it was on detroit overall.. and give 0 consideration to the fact he's playing with much superior forwards that also contributed to his production. he ain't coming in under 7.25 i still say 7.5-8. for those that are saying they can replace hronek with tanev and wait for willander.. no they can't.. the canucks ain't going to waste years of their current window with miller and wait for willander who's going to be at least 1 more year away.. and even if he makes it will not be a top 4 prolly for another couple more season right away. if the canucks offered the contract last off season.. maybe under 7 was realistic.. but they gambled on it and didn't negotiate during last off season so they'll end up either having to pay up or trade him imo.

i think this fan base is weird.. they are unwilling to say overpay hronek a little yet they are ok with holding on to mikheyev and garland who are obviously well overpaid for their role on the team as well as garland have played this year. 

The Canucks have a lot of work to do this summer. I am in the keep Hronek camp, even at 8x8. Whether they can keep their desired UFAs or not will be interesting to see…

46 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think this fan base is weird.. they are unwilling to say overpay hronek a little yet they are ok with holding on to mikheyev and garland who are obviously well overpaid for their role on the team as well as garland have played this year. 

Classic case of assuming the fan base is a hive mind. I bet if you polled every single person who doesn't want to overpay Hronek they also want Mik and even possibly Garland gone. Hell, even the people who would overpay Hronek probably don't want Mik at this point. People really gotta stop generalizing the fan base. There are a lot of voices here, not just one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I don't disagree Hronek benefits Huggy. But lets also remember Huggy only just turned 24 in October. How much of his ascent is natural development and how much is Hronek is up for debate. Hronek at 26 years old went from 35 points to like 55 points. I think it's much safer to say he benefits much more from the pairing than Huggy does. Huggy can play with me and still drop 75+ points. He dropped 76 playing with Schenner and Juulsen last year. Nobody is saying they don't want Hronek. People are saying 8+mil is unrealistic for him. But hey, ask high, so when you end up lower you look like a hero. He'll sign around 7mil and everyone will be happy and we can pat him on the back for "leaving money on the table" when he actually just got fair value for what he brings.

Hronek had 38 points in 60 games with Detroit last year.  He has 45 points in 66 games with Vancouver this year.  So the point production isn’t that much different. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

I’d rather overpay and keep Hronek as our top pairing RHD then keep a 3rd liner like Garland and Mikheyev.  

The Canucks should prioritize re-signing Hronek, Boeser, Lindholm, Joshua and Zadorov in the summer. I don’t really care about anyone else.  If they need more money to sign the rest of the guys then they can trade Mikheyev and Garland and replace them with Podkolzin and Lekkerimäki. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

You can't use position on a team as the indicator of value.  Taking it to the extreme, it's like giving Jan Ruuta in SJ additional credit because he's their top defenceman this year and therefore more 'impactful'.  End of the day Rutta is still worth what he is because of his production and TOI. 

Dunn this year = 23:15 ATOI

Hronek this year = 23:43 ATOI

There's absolutely no way Hronek's deal will be under $7M.  Simply not gonna happen given his production and his position (RHD) against his comparables. 

Walking away from him at $8M AAV wouldn't be wise.  As the contract ages, it'll be equivalent to a $7.xx AAV deal.  It'll age nicely IMO.

The big problem with this comparable is Dunn only signed a 4 year deal. 7.25M x 4 years. In this situation I think we are looking at a long-term deal, possibly max term, in order to bring the AAV down. The term difference changes the math entirely. If we are signing him for 3-4 years then I could see Dunn's being a comparable. But given we are likely going long I think Weegar is a recent RHD max-term signing that makes more sense at a baseline.

If we are using Weegar's percentage = 7.58, that's 6.6M based on next years cap.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d rather overpay and keep Hronek as our top pairing RHD then keep a 3rd liner like Garland and Mikheyev.  

The Canucks should prioritize re-signing Hronek, Boeser, Lindholm, Joshua and Zadorov in the summer. I don’t really care about anyone else.  If they need more money to sign the rest of the guys then they can trade Mikheyev and Garland and replace them with Podkolzin and Lekkerimäki. 

ya pretty much except maybe lindholm i think he'll price himself out of the market and with the rumors they wanted to flip him he might not want to be here anyways. the people that wanted to trade EP are now on the trade Hronek train if he refuse to sign for below market.. they rather get rid of star players and trade for lottery tickets and have money so they can end up overpaying other positions.

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Maybe a team puts in an offer- in which case the compensation would be

$6,435,187 - $8,580,250
1 First Round Pick
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick

if boston comes in with an 8mil offer.. you are happy with a 25-32 pick a late 2nd and a late 3rd?

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Hronek wants 8-8.5M, what are you getting Tanev & Pesce for combined?

Lets say your looking at 10-11M combined for Hronek & Myers. Or 10M combined for Tanev & Pesce? What combination makes the team better while Hughes & Demko are on their current contracts? I think you could make a case its the latter. (Plus the primo return you get in dealing Hronek)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If Hronek wants 8-8.5M, what are you getting Tanev & Pesce for combined?

Lets say your looking at 10-11M combined for Hronek & Myers. Or 10M combined for Tanev & Pesce? What combination makes the team better while Hughes & Demko are on their current contracts? I think you could make a case its the latter. (Plus the primo return you get in dealing Hronek)

Pesce isn’t coming to Vancouver, so it’s a moot point.  Tanev wants $5 million.  I’d rather overpay for Hronek than pay Tanev $5 million.  There’s no way Myers is coming back unless he signs a team friendly deal.  $2.5-3 million tops if he wants to play in his hometown. 

At the end of the day, you re-sign your best and most important players and then fill in the gaps with ELC contracts and cheap UFA’s.  There is zero reason to split up arguably the best top pairing defensive duo in the entire NHL over $500k per year.  That would be insane…