[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

12 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Really comes down to does the team want a QH and Hronek top pair or a deeper d core. The playoffs so far have shown how important the four towers are. What is best for the short-term and also allows for young players to break onto the team. Feel like option 1 might be the best way forward and offer the most flexibility.

Option 1:

QH Tanev.       $7.85M.   $4.5M

Soucy Myers.    $3.25M.  $4M

Big Z Cole.         $5M.      $3M

Juulsen.              $775K

$27.5 - $29M

Plus assets received from a Hronek trade.

Or

Option 2:

QH Hronek.        $7.85M.   $7.85M

Soucy Myers.      $3.25M.  $4M

Cole Juulsen.       $3M.     $775K

Xx.                         $775K

$27 - $28.5

I'll take option 1. A far more balanced defense.

42 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Let me ask you this.  If signing hronek means losing Zadorov and Joshua do you do it?

Except that's not the case at all.  Even if Hronek were to sign for close to $8M, Zadorov close to $5M, and Joshua close to $4M, we'd still have around $7M of cap space left over assuming these guys are not coming back:

Lindholm

Myers

Cole

Blueger

Lafferty

This is what it would look like and we would have $7M to fill holes for 2024/25:

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

Garland-Suter-Joshua

Karlsson-Aman-PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

???-Juulsen

Demko

$2M backup

We're not as cap strapped as people make it out to be.  It's only the case if we're trying to bring back Lindholm, in which case Mikheyev needs to be traded.

• Cheers 1

People need to stop making it seem like signing Hronek would be the end of the road for the Canucks.

Given his playoff performance, Hronek is probably closer to $7M than $8M.  I have these numbers as placeholders:

Hronek - $7.35M

Lindholm - $7M

Zadorov - $4.75M

Joshua - $4M

Hoglander - $5.5M (assuming he continues improving)

Myers - $3.5M for 1 year (or an equivalent defenceman)

Mikheyev traded (if we want to keep Lindholm).

And we still have some cap space leftover. 

So stop with the fear mongering that we have to pick and choose either Hronek OR Zadorov/Joshua. 

The next 3 years (including the 2 years of OEL's big cap hits).  Clearly it's not doom and gloom.

image.thumb.png.9ba0c053e60bc5cde05978735a5afea1.png

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

I think you have to make an effort to trade Mikheyev to keep all of Hronek (6.5-7), Joshua (3-4 with term), Zadorov (~4.5-5) AND Lindholm (6.5-7). Trading Mikheyev will cost assets but the trade off is worth it imo. The hope is you can get all that done with ~21M.

Mik only has 2 more seasons left so the contract should be fairly tradeable, Utah may be a fit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think you have to make an effort to trade Mikheyev to keep all of Hronek (6.5-7), Joshua (3-4 with term), Zadorov (~4.5-5) AND Lindholm (6.5-7). Trading Mikheyev will cost assets but the trade off is worth it imo. The hope is you can get all that done with ~21M.

Mik only has 2 more seasons left so the contract should be fairly tradeable, Utah may be a fit.

San Jose might be even better they will want some capable veterans around and want assets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Mikheyev is a good player you just need Chicago to stop paying scrubs a ton of money to reach the floor. They could be getting decent players to put around Bedard while helping them reach the cap floor and getting mid picks in the process. Instead they give Perry and Athanasiou each 4+ million. Hopefully now with that relationship in the Beauvillier trade the Blackhawks can take Mikheyev with a 3rd round sweetener. Not a full cap dump because he is a good player that they can use for a year then flip in the last year of his deal at the trade deadline.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Utah? Maybe a three way trade. Leafs get Hronek, Utah gets Marner, and we get Crouse? 

Maybe. Hronek wanting too much may price himself out. Shame, it's a good fit for him on a great team but if it's all about the cash? Bye Bye. Zadarov is harder to replace than a steady partner for Quinn Hughes.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

People need to stop making it seem like signing Hronek would be the end of the road for the Canucks.

Given his playoff performance, Hronek is probably closer to $7M than $8M.  I have these numbers as placeholders:

Hronek - $7.35M

Lindholm - $7M

Zadorov - $4.75M

Joshua - $4M

So stop with the fear mongering that we have to pick and choose either Hronek OR Zadorov/Joshua. 

The next 3 years (including the 2 years of OEL's big cap hits).  Clearly it's not doom and gloom.

Just need to work that LTIR hard and keep the band together like Vegas!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

13 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

San Jose might be even better they will want some capable veterans around and want assets.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Mikheyev is a good player you just need Chicago to stop paying scrubs a ton of money to reach the floor. They could be getting decent players to put around Bedard while helping them reach the cap floor and getting mid picks in the process. Instead they give Perry and Athanasiou each 4+ million. Hopefully now with that relationship in the Beauvillier trade the Blackhawks can take Mikheyev with a 3rd round sweetener. Not a full cap dump because he is a good player that they can use for a year then flip in the last year of his deal at the trade deadline.

You guys got it.  Mikheyev isn't as bad of a cap dump as some people make him out to be either.  He struggled a bit this year, but still put up 31 points while recovering from an injury.  He's excellent defensively, and can play the PK effectively.  Given his point totals and defensive ability, I'd say he was maybe overpaid by about $750k?  Hardly enough to warrant a massive payment to unload his contract.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hronek - $7.35M

Lindholm - $7M

Zadorov - $4.75M

Joshua - $4M

It largely depends on if you think the team right now will still be good enough if they lose a couple pieces or if you think they have some holes. While Mikheyev has underperformed, losing him still leaves a top 6 winger hole. Likewise, not re-signing Blueger means Suter moves down and creates another one. We also carry 8 defensemen and you don't have a 13th forward, so even if we brought in 3 league minimum players to fill those holes (theoretically Podkolzin and Raty could fill 2 of them) that's still more than the 1.78M of cap space.

It's going to be very tight and there will almost certainly be a section of the roster taking a hit.

Theoretically your roster next year would be:

DiGiuseppe - Miller - Boeser

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Höglander

Garland - Lindholm - Joshua

Karlsson/Raty - Suter - Aman/Raty

Aman/Karlsson

(+$950K to bring up Raty)

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

Friedman

+$800K 8th dman

Cap left = $28K

That relies very heavily on Podkolzin being able to take the next step, Höglander showing more consistency, and obliterates our D depth (even if Juulsen can hold down a 3rd pairing role). Plus your asking DiGiuseppe to stay in the top 6.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

It largely depends on if you think the team right now will still be good enough if they lose a couple pieces or if you think they have some holes. While Mikheyev has underperformed, losing him still leaves a top 6 winger hole. Likewise, not re-signing Blueger means Suter moves down and creates another one. We also carry 8 defensemen and you don't have a 13th forward, so even if we brought in 3 league minimum players to fill those holes (theoretically Podkolzin and Raty could fill 2 of them) that's still more than the 1.78M of cap space.

It's going to be very tight and there will almost certainly be a section of the roster taking a hit.

Aman/Karlsson

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

Friedman

+$800K 8th dman

Cap left = $28K

That relies very heavily on Podkolzin being able to take the next step, Höglander showing more consistency, and obliterates our D depth (even if Juulsen can hold down a 3rd pairing role). Plus you’re asking DiGiuseppe to stay in the top 6.

You can try and roll 3 lines all year and maybe get a deadline acquisition to replace the weakest link. Or you shift Pettersson to the wing and roll out 2 great lines and a young bottom 6 that might be a liability at times. Could also make an acquisition for bottom 6 help at the deadline if they’re struggling.

Pettersson Miller Boeser

Joshua Lindholm Garland

Hoglander Suter Podkolzin

PDG Aman Raty

17 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Aman/Karlsson

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

Friedman

+$800K 8th dman

Cap left = $28K

That relies very heavily on Podkolzin being able to take the next step, Höglander showing more consistency, and obliterates our D depth (even if Juulsen can hold down a 3rd pairing role). Plus your asking DiGiuseppe to stay in the top 6.

We don't have to carry 8 dmen.  We have the luxury of our farm team being down the street.  I'm also pushing the theoretical cap hits to the high end for pretty much all of our re-signings.  There's a very good chance Joshua comes in a tad under $4M, and Zadorov closer to $4.5M. 

I still think we could make it all work, but honestly, I think squeezing Lindholm in will be tough unless he settles for less (not sure why he would though).

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We don't have to carry 8 dmen.  We have the luxury of our farm team being down the street.  I'm also pushing the theoretical cap hits to the high end for pretty much all of our re-signings.  There's a very good chance Joshua comes in a tad under $4M, and Zadorov closer to $4.5M. 

I still think we could make it all work, but honestly, I think squeezing Lindholm in will be tough unless he settles for less (not sure why he would though).

Maybe after he wins the Stanley Cup he’ll want to stay!

• Cheers 1

Hogs (1.1) – Miller (8) – Brock (6.65)

Joshua (3.5) – Lindholm (7)  – Garland (4.95)

Podz (775k) – Petey (11.6) – Lekkermaki (775k)

Raty (775k) – Suter (1.6) – PDG (775k)

Aman (825k)

Hughes (7.85) – Tanev (4)

Zadorov (4.5) – Myers (3.5)

Soucy (3.25) – Juulsen (775k)

Cole (2) – Willander (775k)

Demko (5)

DeSmith (2)

OEL (2.35)

84.325 total cap

3.375 cap space

On 4/28/2024 at 11:23 AM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Have to say how surprised yet not surprised here how many people feel the Canucks should trade Hronek. Citing a fall in production or a possible ask of a perceived high caphit.

Firstly Hughes and Hronek do compliment eachother well. Not on a Marc Methot or Luke Schenn / Ethan Bear level of top pair partner to a top defenseman.

Filip Hronek can produce.

*Only 13 Canucks defensemen have ever scored more points then him in a season. 

* Only 4 Canucks defensemen have ever produced more assists in a season then he did this year.

Filip Hronek has at a point in the last half of the season injured or aggravated something upper body. He still throws the body, plays with an edge and can play physical. He perhaps coincidentally or not has not been positioned or able to let his shot rip as much.

Hronek is one of the first guys to go to bat for his team if he's on the ice. Watch when opposing players take liberties on his teammates. DeSmith last game for example, he doesn't back down.

We all know he is a good skater, can shoot the puck, distributes it well and can play special teams. Not the biggest defenseman but plays with an edge, is physical and defends well.

It would be a great value deal if Hronek signed for a longer term deal at under $ 7 million per, but as much as I'd love that as a fan so we can squeeze more returnees in from the Canucks pending UFA group its simply not realistic.

He compares statistically well in terms of age, production, points per game, toi, to name a few categories to defensemen like: - Noah Hanifin 

- Thomas Chabot 

- Vince Dunn 

These are your 7m to 8m range guys. I think if Vancouver offered $6.5m per and a deal is not done, Hronek may want $ 7.35m Hanifin numbers. Vancouver could argue Hronek is a notch down in terms of overall value than a Hanifin. Maybe a deal gets done at $ 7m per ? 

League wide Hronek was 21st in points, 29th in points per game among all defensemen. The argument for $6.5m per would put him in the mid to late thirties overall in caphit.

The cap is climbing, a 6 to 8 year deal at 7 to 8m per is where current 5m per deals look like now. 

Lastly, Filip Hronek is the top four right handed defenseman this franchise has never had. The exact very literally the player this fan base has been screaming for, for years. Of course he is no Quinn Hughes and obviously Hughes will make Hronek better, he will make any player better ( hello Schenn, Bear lol ).

Don't take Hronek for granted or try to trade him because he only nearly produced but didn't hit 50+ points or wants to be compensated for his services.

Excellent post! Awesome job, seriously! You nailed it.

And We still haven't even seen Hronek's best yet.

We have that top pairing set. No need to keep endlessly experimenting, searching for that perfect scenario. It's here and now. It's known versus unknown. That search in the unknown only winds us back into where we were, the same old debate of needing a young top RHD, which, I believe, some fans want. It's evidenced by exactly what you say in Hronek being the top four right handed defenseman this franchise as never had  ... "The exact very literally the player this fan base has been screaming for, for years." Just look at the reactions once we actually got what we wanted and needed for so long. 

The fact that both Hronek and the team have struggled in the second half only helps to bring down his AAV. That satisfies best of both worlds.

Now that our D is so good and solidified, you don't try to destroy it. You improve upon the knowns.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Hronek - $7.35M

Lindholm - $7M

Zadorov - $4.75M

Joshua - $4M

Awesome post! Appreciate you breaking it down.

We can make it work. Mikheyev is eating up too much money. We can find that value elsewhere.

Myers is going to have to take a discount to stay. His agent already made mention of this. Don't see why Myers wouldn't either to be part of this special team and not uproot his family. Plus he's already made his money in the last contract.

Yeah, the fear mongering is ridiculous, as is the pick and choose between Hronek and Zad. They're completely different with different roles.

It's not doom and gloom.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Awesome post! Appreciate you breaking it down.

We can make it work. Mikheyev is eating up too much money. We can find that value elsewhere.

Myers is going to have to take a discount to stay. His agent already made mention of this. Don't see why Myers wouldn't either to be part of this special team and not uproot his family. Plus he's already made his money in the last contract.

Yeah, the fear mongering is ridiculous, as is the pick and choose between Hronek and Zad. They're completely different with different roles.

It's not doom and gloom.

Absolutely.  I firmly believe Hronek, Zadorov, and Joshua will all be returning.  It's Lindholm and Myers I'm more iffy about.  It could work, but it'll take some discounts and a Mikheyev trade.  The math doesn't lie.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Absolutely.  I firmly believe Hronek, Zadorov, and Joshua will all be returning.  It's Lindholm and Myers I'm more iffy about.  It could work, but it'll take some discounts and a Mikheyev trade.  The math doesn't lie.

We could trade Garland too. He’s played great so must have enough value now to clear all his cap and even get a pick or two back. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Exactly. The math doesn't lie. Also, you don't build a team into a winner only to destroy it the very next season. Especially with how good our D has been. There is a way to make it all work. It's going to come down to some guys needing to be team friendly.

Lindholm was brought in for exactly what he's being doing as of late. I don't believe he was brought in to retain next season. To stay, he'll definitely need to be team friendly, which he won't need to do at all. His value will be high coming out of the playoffs. To me he's always been a luxury.

Take the money from Lindy, Mik, and Myers (discounted) ... that's significant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Except that's not the case at all.  Even if Hronek were to sign for close to $8M, Zadorov close to $5M, and Joshua close to $4M, we'd still have around $7M of cap space left over assuming these guys are not coming back:

Lindholm

Myers

Cole

Blueger

Lafferty

This is what it would look like and we would have $7M to fill holes for 2024/25:

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

Garland-Suter-Joshua

Karlsson-Aman-PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

???-Juulsen

Demko

$2M backup

We're not as cap strapped as people make it out to be.  It's only the case if we're trying to bring back Lindholm, in which case Mikheyev needs to be traded.

I think that roster would be one that regresses offensively, I think we're missing a top six player as is, but that it'd probably still be a playoff roster if it can stay mostly healthy 

Podkolzin in the top six is a big question mark imo, which isn't to say he shouldn't get NHL level opportunities 

On 4/27/2024 at 2:12 PM, RWJC said:

Hronek brings stability and is about to enter his prime.

That stability is exactly what we've needed with this core and our blueline and what fans were wanting and calling for so many months. Our top pairing is set for this core window in their prime. 

The objective/goal is to stabilize not destabilize.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Hronek - $7.35M

Lindholm - $7M

Zadorov - $4.75M

Joshua - $4M

Man, I salute you for putting in this much work already thinking about next season..Meanwhile my anxiety is just waiting for tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

i agree if i means keeping Lindholm, even if it costs a 1st round pick i'd do it.

you can trade a 1st now to free up cap space and bring back a know commodity (Lindholm), or you keep the 1st and you end up spending at the next deadline for another rental.

If Lindholm is willing to be on a team with Miller and Petterson and does prioritize being the top guy than it'll be a good fit. Lindholm will get his minutes regardless if he's the 3C on paper or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Hronek - $7.35M

Lindholm - $7M

Zadorov - $4.75M

Joshua - $4M

That’s pretty generous giving Hogz a bump in pay to $5.5M.