[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

On 5/10/2024 at 11:04 AM, HKSR said:

Why not?  He's 29yo.  Miller got an 8 year deal at 30yo.  Same with Zibanejad.  Same with many others.  Those longer contracts mean lower AAVs.  If a contender wants him for these key years 29, 30, 31, 32, maybe 33yo, and they can have a lower cap hit due to the length, they will absolutely hand out a 7 year deal.

He doesn't turn 30 until December, so he will sign his deal at 29yo.

Year 1:  $7.5M

Year 2: $7.5M

Year 3: $7M

Year 4: $7M

Year 5: $6M

Year 6: $5M

Year 7: $4M

AAV with the above structure would be $6.3M.

If a team only wants to sign Lindholm for 4 or 5 years, the cap hits would be $7.25M or $7M respectively.

To save almost $1M in cap space, I can see a LOT of teams signing him for 7 years.  Get the best 4 or 5 years out of him, and then by then you're likely close to a retooling or rebuilding team anyways.

This playoffs probably priced him beyond those numbers and out of town. 

He would be a 1st or 2nd line centre on most teams.  It is insane to have him on our “3rd” line… or 2B line really.

There will be teams offering him $8 million with term.  It just depends on what he prioritizes as that wouldn’t be here.  If we could get him at anything under $7 million and could move out Mikheyev we have a chance at signing him.

Our best bet is to get to the finals at least and then have guys want to sign here for a little under market value for the chance to be on a winner.

13 hours ago, Provost said:

This playoffs probably priced him beyond those numbers and out of town. 

He would be a 1st or 2nd line centre on most teams.  It is insane to have him on our “3rd” line… or 2B line really.

There will be teams offering him $8 million with term.  It just depends on what he prioritizes as that wouldn’t be here.  If we could get him at anything under $7 million and could move out Mikheyev we have a chance at signing him.

Our best bet is to get to the finals at least and then have guys want to sign here for a little under market value for the chance to be on a winner.

I still think PA is gonna bring Lindholm back.  I think what we need to expect is to pay him 2C dollars and move Petey to the wing.  It makes us stronger than just adding a top 6 winger to Petey's wing. 

I'd pay $7M to $7.5M for Lindholm.  Considering what guys like Miller and Zibanejad got for their 'final' end-of-career contracts, I think the $7M to $7.5M range is fair for Lindholm considering he is coming off 64pt and 44pt campaigns.  The guys mentioned above were coming off PPG+ campaigns.

I'd put Lindholm's comparable as Nazem Kadri (even though Kadri was coming off a better season than Lindholm).  $7M AAV is pretty fair market value IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hearing Theodore is going to be potentially available for trade this summer in Vegas. Would they consider a trade? Hronek for Theodore? 

Whoa where'd u hear that?

6 minutes ago, Artemus said:

A couple of days ago I went on a bit of a rant regarding Hronek in the "What will it take to re-sign Zadorov" thread.

Thought that maybe a more apropos setting would be in the actual "Hronek Proposal" thread, so I copied and pasted it here.

Also, after having watched Hronek through the 10 playoff games and see that he has zero points and is the epitome of chaos in the defensive zone, I am more than a little disappointed in him, especially after his 1st half of this season, where he was playing with passion and displaying some high level skills.

So, I know that he can play better. Not a good time to take a vacation!

If Hronek is moved he would bring back a lot

This is the predominant thought when a Hronek trade is contemplated. I am not convinced that this will be the case. 

Other teams would have watched Hronek's rather pedestrian pace over the last half of the season and the playoffs. His lack of push up the ice. His deference to letting Hughes lug the bisket is quite noticeable as his go-to pass is a D-D pass over to Hughes. He has pretty much stopped using his big point shot. His play in the defensive zone can at times border on the comical. He is our weakest defender. He is also a little undersized. He wants an 8M+ contract and might get it on the open UFA market as there will probably be a few GM's willing to spend the money if it doesn't cost them any trade capital.

There has been some speculation that both Hronek and Pettersson have been playing with nagging injuries. RT has said that this is not the case.

With Hronek, I am getting some bad "Loui Eriksson" type vibes.

I wouldn't want to be saddled for eight years with some 8M dollar player that just goes through the motions while doing the "little things" all while playing on the periphery.

We have been looking for a high skill, 1st pairing defenseman to complement Hughes. I don't believe that Hronek is going to be that person. We need someone a little bigger and better at the all over game, especially defense. I am hopeful that Willander can fill that role in a couple of years. We need a stopgap player until then.

We can't re-sign all of our UFA's. Someone has to go.

My thought is to cut bait on Hronek. Trade him as soon as possible after our season ends. I am also thinking that we won't get back as much as we paid for him but that we go ahead anyway and get the best deal that we can before we have to "Qualify" him. Sometimes in business you have to manage your losses.

Also, by trading Hronek we might have cap space to re-sign Zadorov, Joshua and Lindholm!

Would probably also require other cap saving moves like letting Cole, Blueger and DeSmith leave.

Am I overreacting to what could just be a period of reflection and adjustment in play by Hronek? Maybe. But he is trending the wrong way over a fairly lengthy period. I would rather be proactive than be stuck with a 7.3M-8M+ underperforming player.

No, you’re not overreacting. Hronek is vastly overrated. Trading him is the right choice. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, HKSR said:

"The playoffs were a different story unfortunately as he failed to record in any of the seven games against the Dallas Stars.  "

😬

Don't need a LHD version of Hronek lol

Theodore has proven himself in the playoffs before and has the ring to show for it. As well, this team needs more Canadians. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

WOAH If Theodore gets traded to Van I will immediately buy a jersey. 

My son's name is Theodore. 

Highly unlikely though, Why would Vegas want Hronek?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Theodore has proven himself in the playoffs before and has the ring to show for it. As well, this team needs more Canadians. 

VGK is trying to find better balance.

We'd have the same balance issue assuming Zadorov is re-signed.

LHD:  Hughes, Zadorov, Theodore, Soucy... who are we moving to the right side?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

VGK is trying to find better balance.

We'd have the same balance issue assuming Zadorov is re-signed.

LHD:  Hughes, Zadorov, Theodore, Soucy... who are we moving to the right side?

Theodore plays exclusively on the right side.  He is like Dahlin.  We wouldn't be able to have anyone else on the right side though who shoot left.  The way Hughes moves the puck it's probably fine to have him with a LHD.  Theodore however is on the last year of his contract, so that is why Vegas is looking to move him.  He's going to wanna get paid.  He's also been injured the last 2 years and has missed over 60 games during that time, so durability may be an issue with him...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Theodore plays exclusively on the right side.  He is like Dahlin.  We wouldn't be able to have anyone else on the right side though who shoot left.  The way Hughes moves the puck it's probably fine to have him with a LHD.  Theodore however is on the last year of his contract, so that is why Vegas is looking to move him.  He's going to wanna get paid.  He's also been injured the last 2 years and has missed over 60 games during that time, so durability may be an issue with him...

I don't think he's the kinda guy we need or want in our system.  I still think Hronek is the right guy assuming the price is right.

• Cheers 3

33 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Am I overreacting to what could just be a period of reflection and adjustment in play by Hronek? Maybe. But he is trending the wrong way over a fairly lengthy period. I would rather be proactive than be stuck with a 7.3M-8M+ underperforming player.

My opinion of Hronek hasnt changed all year.  Really good complimentary player for Hughes.  The Canucks reported offer was MORE than fair and he turned it down imo.  

Much like how Petey was putting up points early in the year, I saw Hronek’s points kind of similar-empty.  He’s a good player but Im not sure Im on the same page where he/his agent think hes at.  

I dont begrudge Allvin for taking a swing at

him.  I’d try to find a trade partner as well-maybe a younger team like CHI or OTT that are looking for players in his age range to support their younger players and have the draft assets to do it.  Allvin has shown he will flip assets for what he is after.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

My opinion of Hronek hasnt changed all year.  Really good complimentary player for Hughes.  The Canucks reported offer was MORE than fair and he turned it down imo.  

Much like how Petey was putting up points early in the year, I saw Hronek’s points kind of similar-empty.  He’s a good player but Im not sure Im on the same page where he/his agent think hes at.  

I dont begrudge Allvin for taking a swing at

him.  I’d try to find a trade partner as well-maybe a younger team like CHI or OTT that are looking for players in his age range to support their younger players and have the draft assets to do it.  Allvin has shown he will flip assets for what he is after.  

Alvin is a very smart general manager. 

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I still think PA is gonna bring Lindholm back.  I think what we need to expect is to pay him 2C dollars and move Petey to the wing.  It makes us stronger than just adding a top 6 winger to Petey's wing. 

I'd pay $7M to $7.5M for Lindholm.  Considering what guys like Miller and Zibanejad got for their 'final' end-of-career contracts, I think the $7M to $7.5M range is fair for Lindholm considering he is coming off 64pt and 44pt campaigns.  The guys mentioned above were coming off PPG+ campaigns.

I'd put Lindholm's comparable as Nazem Kadri (even though Kadri was coming off a better season than Lindholm).  $7M AAV is pretty fair market value IMO.

I would do that.  Petterson is an excellent winger, and he was playing wing when he had that great SHL season.  Having an extra natural centre also gives more options.

Lindholm means moving Mikheyev and Hronek likely.  If those two got moved out in a package and Crouse came back (Utah is talking about completely revamping their roster).

Crouse-Miller-Boeser

Petterson-Lindholm-XX

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Karlsson-XX-Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes-Roy

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

… I take a roster like that.  You lose a little high end on Hronek on D but spread that money on two really solid veterans.  Roy just as an example…

Still need another physical forward for the 2nd line in place or Hoglander.  He had a good regular season so he should have some trade value with his low contract.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I would do that.  Petterson is an excellent winger, and he was playing wing when he had that great SHL season.  Having an extra natural centre also gives more options.

Lindholm means moving Mikheyev and Hronek likely.  If those two got moved out in a package and Crouse came back (Utah is talking about completely revamping their roster).

Crouse-Miller-Boeser

Petterson-Lindholm-XX

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Karlsson-XX-Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes-Roy

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

… I take a roster like that.  You lose a little high end on Hronek on D but spread that money on two really solid veterans.  Roy just as an example…

Still need another physical forward for the 2nd line in place or Hoglander.  He had a good regular season so he should have some trade value with his low contract.

Would love to see this but just can’t imagine Crouse being shipped out unless it’s an overpay. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Would love to see this but just can’t imagine Crouse being shipped out unless it’s an overpay. 

If Utah wants to be competitive in their inaugural season it makes zero sense for them to move out Crouse imo. Not only is he positive value for his contract, he's the sort of player who helps set a competitive team culture. Plus, he's already been a presence in the room. 

Every team would love to have a Crouse type talent. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Hronek is a 1st pairing RD.  

Even as an unsigned RFA he is worth much more than a 27 year old winger who hasn’t scored more than 45 points in a season after 6 years full time in the league.

We should be able to offload Mikheyev in that deal even.  Utah has exactly zero D signed for next season.  Hronek would be a huge add for them.  We could probably pull a good prospect from them as well.

They want to completely rebrand the team and makeover the roster.  Crouse already being there as an holdover from the Arizona debacle years is a minus for them, not a plus.

Edited by Provost

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Provost said:

Hronek is a 1st pairing RD.  

Even as an unsigned RFA he is worth much more than a 27 year old winger who hasn’t scored more than 45 points in a season after 6 years full time in the league.

We should be able to offload Mikheyev in that deal even.  Utah has exactly zero D signed for next season.  Hronek would be a huge add for them.  We could probably pull a good prospect from them as well.

They want to completely rebrand the team and makeover the roster.  Crouse already being there as an holdover from the Arizona debacle years is a minus for them, not a plus.

I hear what you’re saying, I just don’t think that deal is our best option. I would love to see Crouse in our jersey, but as you mention about Hronek’s value, we could likely find a better deal seeing as Utah is looking to build and the type of assets we would want in return will not be available to us through them by trade. It’s just counter intuitive for them to do so and too depleting aside from the pick and prospect scenario. 

Crouse would be more a deal like Podkolzin and a 2nd (maybe even a 1st) perhaps which I’m not inclined to do just yet for a variety of reasons.

Hronek would have to fetch us a Logan Cooley type and just can’t see them doing something that. Look at their roster…it’s improving, but can you really envision any of their young core players being moved unless it’s a blockbuster that definitely improves their club by a large margin? Draft picks for some prospects for sure, but again we would have to overpay for anything of similar value to Hronek simply due to the Yotes’ lack of comparative talent.

Hronek provides more trade value for us elsewhere.

Just my opinion though. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

IMO trade Hronek.

If he is commanding 7+ mil...use that to bring in Tanev and another dman. Trade Hronek for assets a top six scorer or trade him straight up.

Hughes doesn't need Hronek...Quinn will do his shit with or without Hronek on his pairing. Hughes can go ppg in his sleep with a broom as his partner.

37 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

IMO trade Hronek.

If he is commanding 7+ mil...use that to bring in Tanev and another dman. Trade Hronek for assets a top six scorer or trade him straight up.

Hughes doesn't need Hronek...Quinn will do his shit with or without Hronek on his pairing. Hughes can go ppg in his sleep with a broom as his partner.

How much does the broom want per year and what kind of term? Is it asking for an M-NTC?

BTW, back on CDC there were a few folks who wanted Brenden Dillon. Apparently WPG is letting him walk and it’s expected he’s looking for 5mill per. I’m not interested in that but maybe some folks might still be…?

doesn’t solve any RD issues though.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Sorry, you just don't add a top pair right handed defenseman who can produce 40+ points a season and is overall a solid defenseman to flip him after one full season.

It is no secret he has been dealing with nagging upper body injuries thus not being able to get his shot off or passing off. Yet he still hits and battles hard.

You will see him extend in Vancouver. His value on a longer term deal still sits at around $7m per. They will get there.

The team will still be positioned to bring back around half of these guys while we see a few youngsters get a shot.

Lindholm 

Joshua

Blueger 

Lafferty

Zadorov 

Myers 

Cole 

Friedman 

DeSmith

I’m pretty sure Lindholm walks, and that is my preference. As good as he’s been, his next contract will take him into his late 30’s, and I suspect it will be an albatross.

Zadorov might have priced himself out. He’s just been soooo good, some GM could offer him stupid money ($6M+?). Would love to keep him though. Hopefully he is willing to take less to stay where the coach, team, and fans all love him.

The one I suspect (and hope) will get done is Joshua. He’s still relatively young - really just starting his prime - and the chemistry he has with Garland is very valuable. Even though they are killing it with Lindholm, they carried their line with Bluegar earlier, so they don’t need a top-6 C to produce.

I think Myers will stay, for less than market value. But it will probably be more than what some expect (guessing around $3.5M, on a 3 year deal).

The rest are easily replaceable. Cole is fading, would be nice to find someone younger for that spot. Bluegar probably stays if his ask isn’t too high, especially if Joshua is staying and Lindholm walking. Silovs is ready for backup duty, so DeSmith will likely go. Lafferty’s spot will go to Podkolzin or Bains. Friedman might actually stay if he’s willing to take league minimum (can always use RHD depth), but he’ll probably want to go somewhere where he can earn more minutes.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

On 5/15/2024 at 11:29 PM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Sorry, you just don't add a top pair right handed defenseman who can produce 40+ points a season and is overall a solid defenseman to flip him after one full season.

It is no secret he has been dealing with nagging upper body injuries thus not being able to get his shot off or passing off. Yet he still hits and battles hard.

You will see him extend in Vancouver. His value on a longer term deal still sits at around $7m per. They will get there.

The team will still be positioned to bring back around half of these guys while we see a few youngsters get a shot.

Lindholm 

Joshua

Blueger 

Lafferty

Zadorov 

Myers 

Cole 

Friedman 

DeSmith

This is exactly it. I've been saying this for months. That top pairing is known. You don't throw it away to keep gambling on the unknown. Look at how long it took to solidify that RHD. It's ridiculous.

We'll have a bit more leverage now that he's come down to earth more in the second half. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1