[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Zadorov is able to take over a game from the back end.  His physical ability, his skating, his stick handling... when he's on, he dominates.  

Big Z is a physical presence (including a serious bopper) that we don’t otherwise have. A guy who is as big as he is who can play top four minutes, that can bop like he can, has added value. Gudbranson isn’t nearly as good a player as Big Z, but because of his physical presence (including fighting) he gets extra value on his contracts. We will need to pay Big Z a total contract number that is over 20 million. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Big Z is a physical presence (including a serious bopper) that we don’t otherwise have. A guy who is as big as he is who can play top four minutes, that can bop like he can, has added value. Gudbranson isn’t nearly as good a player as Big Z, but because of his physical presence (including fighting) he gets extra value on his contracts. We will need to pay Big Z a total contract number that is over 20 million. 

And use term as the weapon to keep the cap number down. 

• Like 2

Back to Hronek….hopefully PA can get a deal done quickly. This is a game of dominos; downstream signing require confirmation of the higher priority. Ours were

1) Petterson

2) Hronek

3) Zad

4) Lindholm

5) Cole/Myers/Tanev/????? on a 2 year

6) DJ

7) Blueger

The list stops once the $ runs out. My guess is we see a Hronek deal in the next couple weeks…with Zad quickly after that.

Edited by BC_Hawk

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He’s the player we have begged as a fan base for the team to get for forever. Now we have such player, people are quick to term him as not good enough. His role on the Flames was less, so there was question marks with him. I think he has answered those very well.

Have you been in a coma? We had Luke Shenn for the past 2 seasons... Luke averaged  17:13 a game, Z averages 17:04, Luke brought the same skill set (is the all time NHL hits leader and dropped the gloves to stand up for his teammates). 

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

I'm guessing you messed up on your math. That would be 4.57 million a year for 7 years!!!! 

If they were to stretch it out for a lower AAV a direct comparable would be Scott Mayfield who just signed this summer. Mayfield actually plays a lot more minutes and blocks a lot more shots so on 7 years 3.5 would be a definite ceiling.

Besides that comparable we have another one in house. Carson Soucy who plays more minutes signed at 3.25 over 3 this summer.

He is turning 29 in a month 29+7=36, that takes him to 36.

Let's all not forget that this kid only plays 17 minutes a night. I know people love big hits and players that fight but you can't throw out huge money at the bottom of the lineup. I'm guessing this is Benning PTSD that has people normalizing this.

no I'm pretty decent at the maths. Thats fair value locking him up for the rest of his career. 

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

I mean the Canucks will try to use Weegars contract as a comparable and I’d imagine Hronek and his agent will be using Devon Toews. It’ll probably take 7 mill a year for 8 years. Pricey but you kind of have to do it. 

7m/8years is perfect. Be a good deal in future years. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Zadorov is able to take over a game from the back end.  His physical ability, his skating, his stick handling... when he's on, he dominates.  

How many times has that happened this year?

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Have you been in a coma? We had Luke Shenn for the past 2 seasons... Luke averaged  17:13 a game, Z averages 17:04, Luke brought the same skill set (is the all time NHL hits leader and dropped the gloves to stand up for his teammates). 

The fact that you state Schenn and Zadorov are the same is asinine. Schenn was overplayed here because the construction of our D sucked; had no other options. Zadorov is a far superior player and younger.

A good comparison for Schenn in term of play ( not leadership or exp) is Juulsen. Rough and tumble and defensively sound. Zad is a bully and intimidates.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Nope. Luke can’t skate or play the game nearly so well as Z. It’s not even close really. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He’s the player we have begged as a fan base for the team to get for forever. Now we have such player, people are quick to term him as not good enough. His role on the Flames was less, so there was question marks with him. I think he has answered those very well.

It's similar to what happened with Hronek. Fans begged, cried and whined for months on end for us to get a top young RHD and then cried and whined when we got exactly that. Can't have things both ways. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rekker said:

I'd prefer the right shot, defensive center in Lindholm. But curios what fans think? Brock or Lindholm? Brock probably can't be re-upped if Lindolm is extended?

I'm taking Brock over Lindholm if that's the decision. Lindholm is a great luxury to have, but since we already have Miller and Petey we don't need another top 6 C. However, at the moment Boeser is our only consistent top 6 winger. While theoretically top 6 wingers are easier to acquire, it's actually a pretty glaring hole on the roster (especially if Boeser goes).

While one-for-one Lindholm might be worth more, on our roster Boeser is more important. If Lindholm were able to develop better chemistry with Petey then it might be a different situation.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

Obviously you don’t watch many games if you haven’t seen his presence every game.

Exactly! Big Z elevates the play of his teammates with his physical presence. Hughes and Petey use their gifted skills to elevate teammates. Miller brings both. Demko stops pucks and guys gain confidence and okay looser. Big Z adds to the club in his unique way. IMHAO management knows this and will make it a priority to extend the Giant. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The fact that you state Schenn and Zadorov are the same is asinine. Schenn was overplayed here because the construction of our D sucked; had no other options. Zadorov is a far superior player and younger.

A good comparison for Schenn in term of play ( not leadership or exp) is Juulsen. Rough and tumble and defensively sound. Zad is a bully and intimidates.

Schenn is raking in 2.75 at 34 years old. 4.5 for 7 years for a 28 year old currently making 3.75 isn't bad, imo anyway. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I take it you have some kind of problem with him, and think he should take a major pay cut.

I think he is a fantastic 3rd pairing Dman. I think he should be paid as such. I also don't think you sign a 29 year old 3rd pairing dman for 7 years.

I would be fine with a 3 year deal at 3.5 mil. Soucys deal with a little extra bonus for physicality.

If Zadorov wants 4 million or 6+ years he is going to have to head off to a crappy team in free agency (like Gudas and Guddy). 

Edited by Coryberg
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's similar to what happened with Hronek. Fans begged, cried and whined for months on end for us to get a top young RHD and then cried and whined when we got exactly that. Can't have things both ways. 

Zad and Hronek long term (6yr) fill our needs. Soucy is great a great 3 year guy, that we can hopefully fill internally by the time that contract is up. The other 2 spots are just ones you fill annually until you develop internally.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Coryberg said:

I think he is a fantastic 3rd pairing Dman. I think he should be paid as such. I also don't think you sign a 29 year old 3rd pairing dman for 7 years.

I would be fine with a 3 year deal at 3.5 mil. Soucys deal with a little extra bonus for physicality.

If Zadorov wasn't 4 million or 6+ years he is going to have to head off to a crappy team in free agency (like Gudas and Guddy). 

Well, we have very divergent ideas on him 😂 

Which is fine. We'll see what Allvin thinks soon enough.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I'm taking Brock over Lindholm if that's the decision. Lindholm is a great luxury to have, but since we already have Miller and Petey we don't need another top 6 C. However, at the moment Boeser is our only consistent top 6 winger. While theoretically top 6 wingers are easier to acquire, it's actually a pretty glaring hole on the roster (especially if Boeser goes).

While one-for-one Lindholm might be worth more, on our roster Boeser is more important. If Lindholm were able to develop better chemistry with Petey then it might be a different situation.

I think Lekkermaki can (hopefully) fill the Beoser role IF Brock wants the moon. Be awesome if he steals a spot in camp in 2024…but can’t count on that.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The fact that you compare Shenn to Juulsen is beyond asinine....and par for course. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly! Big Z elevates the play of his teammates with his physical presence. Hughes and Petey use their gifted skills to elevate teammates. Miller brings both. Demko stops pucks and guys gain confidence and okay looser. Big Z adds to the club in his unique way. IMHAO management knows this and will make it a priority to extend the Giant. 

Exactly squared! Last night Lowry ran around a bit at the beginning after Blueger and such. He got knocked down a peg after a few big hits and zapping by Zads. That’s his role, and he did it perfect; no stupid instigator penalties, no broken hands from useless fights, and he plays that way every night.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1