[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

I know a lot of fans are unhappy with Myers’ play but Tocchet loves what he brings on both ends of the ice. That put him at $6 million per year. Zadorov brings that same level of offense, as well as a nastiness that is hard to find around the league, not just within our own team. Yes, Soucy is incredible in our own zone but as long as hockey exists, anybody who can generate offense will be paid handsomely in this league. I think he is a perfectly fine #4 guy. 

• Cheers 3
  • MillerTime 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

11 seasons, 5 teams and God knows how many coaches he has proven he is a solid 5/6.... but Elias the poster has some inside information!!!

Zadorov said he has more to offer.  I believe him...

FYI, in 3 separate seasons Zadorov averaged over 19 minutes TOI.  That is a 2nd pairing Dman.  Soucy has never done this.  So there is potential for Zadorov to improve and get back to being a 19 minute player.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Because he is a 3rd pairing dman and is turning 29 next month, 7 years takes him to age 36!!!! Good teams don't spend 4+ on bottom pairing D, no teams lock up bottom pairing D to 7 year deals (mayfield is the only one close but he was a top 4 when he signed)

Holy smokes your assessment of talent is terrible.  I can't reason with someone that thinks Zadorov is a bottom pair LHD.  Good teams, the best teams have top 6 caliber players playing their bottom 6 and top 4D playing in bottom pair roles.  That's called depth.  It's why the best teams are so damn good.  You might want to think about that for a bit before jumping to the conclusion that Zadorov is a bottom pair defenceman.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

FYI, in 3 separate seasons Zadorov averaged over 19 minutes TOI. 

One of those he was caved in hard and a -20 in 56 games.

One he was actually quite good... that was 6 years ago and he was busted down near 17 minutes the year after.

One was on a horrible blackhawks d core.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Holy smokes your assessment of talent is terrible.  I can't reason with someone that thinks Zadorov is a bottom pair LHD.  Good teams, the best teams have top 6 caliber players playing their bottom 6 and top 4D playing in bottom pair roles.  That's called depth.  It's why the best teams are so damn good.  You might want to think about that for a bit before jumping to the conclusion that Zadorov is a bottom pair defenceman.

The simple answer is he isn’t a Top 4 Dman on a team like LVGKs; they literally have 3-5 top pairing Dmen…we get that! On the Canucks, we essentially have a 2A and 2B defensive pairing; not a Huge separation on minutes nor roles. For us to do what LVGKs have done would cost us to mortgage our core for today…can’t do it for cap nor being acceptable.

So, top pairing guys get 7-9m a piece on LONG term contracts. That is not what anyone is comparing Zad too; most are in agreement that he is a 4-5m/4-6year; a far cry from 7-9m. On the open crazy FA market, he probably gets 5.5-6m easy.

He is a huge component to our D, and serves the role well in our current 3-4 year window. In addition, his style will serve us well as we bring guys like DPetterson, Willander, or other young developmental guys up to manage cap.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The simple answer is he isn’t a Top 4 Dman on a team like LVGKs; they literally have 3-5 top pairing Dmen…we get that! On the Canucks, we essentially have a 2A and 2B defensive pairing; not a Huge separation on minutes nor roles. For us to do what LVGKs have done would cost us to mortgage our core for today…can’t do it for cap nor being acceptable.

So, top pairing guys get 7-9m a piece on LONG term contracts. That is not what anyone is comparing Zad too; most are in agreement that he is a 4-5m/4-6year; a far cry from 7-9m. On the open crazy FA market, he probably gets 5.5-6m easy.

He is a huge component to our D, and serves the role well in our current 3-4 year window. In addition, his style will serve us well as we bring guys like DPetterson, Willander, or other young developmental guys up to manage cap.

And in 3 to 4 years would be a reasonable price for what he brings. Wouldn't be hard to move him either if it came down to it. I think he's really happy here and will work hard to improve his deficiencies in the offseason. Very important to have players that want to be here.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

One of those he was caved in hard and a -20 in 56 games.

One he was actually quite good... that was 6 years ago and he was busted down near 17 minutes the year after.

One was on a horrible blackhawks d core.

It's curious to me why he's moved around so much, never being able to stick with any one team for long extended periods of time. Were they just not a fit? 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It's curious to me why he's moved around so much, never being able to stick with any one team for long extended periods of time. Were they just not a fit? 

It's a mystery. He was a highly touted dman back in junior. Played on the memorial cup champion London Knights team with Domi and Horvat. I remember hoping him or Domi would fall to is at 24 (he went 16 and we took hunter shinkaruk).

He bounced around early in his career as a promising young player traded for vets (O'Reilly then Saad). Things didn't go well for him in the train wreck that was Chicago and he was left exposed for the Seattle expansion draft (they chose to protect Caleb Jones and Riley Stillman instead). Seattle decided to pass on taking him for free, instead they chose UFA John Quenneville who they immediately let walk.

Calgary decided to take a flyer and sent a 3rd round pick to Chicago for him (how stupid was Francis for not drafting him and flipping him right away). He played really well that first year for Calgary putting up a career high 22 points playing less than 17 minutes in a sheltered role. The second year he was given more playing time and a bit less sheltering, he even managed a hat trick and finished with 14 goals! 

I'm pretty sure things soured that summer, him and Milstein obviously thought that they deserved more money and were upset when Calgary didn't agree. His whole reason for a trade request was that Calgary didn't want to sign him so he wanted out.

Obviously after the trade request every GM knew he was available. The only offers they received involved Calgary retaining on the deal and nothing more than a 3rd round pick. When PA offered a 3rd + 5th with no retention they jumped, even though we were their division rivals.

By all accounts he is well liked in the room and has definitely improved our team throughout the Soucy injury (and now myers). Having Friedman and Juulsen in the lineup at the same time was just too thin.

I hope that he can find that gear that he has hit in 2 or 3 games out of the 39 he has played. We could sure use some beast mode come playoffs and it would go a long ways to improving his lofty contract demands.

It was largely believed that due to his salary aspirations he was going to be a rental. As far as I'm concerned that 3rd and the 5th we got for AB will be paid in full by the end of the season. I hope he wants to play for a winner and will lower his demands but if not i wish him the best.

Edited by Coryberg
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

The Zadorov trade may work out for us the way the Baertschi trade did for them. 

The baertschi trade was us giving up a draft pick that panned out. The Zadorov trade was us giving up the picks again. It's literally impossible for us to have this trade work out like it did for them.

Maybe stick to throwing out dozens of confused emoticons from the sidelines.

Edited by Coryberg

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Maybe amount of money he want

On 3/8/2024 at 8:47 PM, Provost said:

That would he a solid offer.  I do think they need to see what Hronek is without Hughes more.

Hughes has made a lot of partners look good.  If you are looking at $7+ million a year on max term I would like to think a guy can carry a pairing on his own.

I do think there is an argument to be made that his success has been augmented by playing with Hughes. But he does so m any of the little things well, and he is a legitimate offensive threat. If he comes in around 7 mill for 8 years, I’d be happy…

12 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

The baertschi trade was us giving up a draft pick that panned out. The Zadorov trade was us giving up the picks again. It's literally impossible for us to have this trade work out like it did for them.

Maybe stick to throwing out dozens of confused emoticons from the sidelines.

In the sense that we might get the defenceman that plays for us long term. 

as for emojis I offered you a fair discussion on the last page.

28 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I offered you a fair discussion on the last page.

Ah yes your cherry picked stats.

Such as "he's 4th in points by a canucks dman so he must be a top 4"

Not mentioning the fact that he is tied with cole with 8 as a canuck, or the fact that soucy who has a better points percentage has played 15 less games but is only 2 points behind or even Juulsen who averages much less ice time has only 2 less points.

I'm guessing you added the "hits you feel the next day" as to discount the fact that our #7 dman Juulsen who plays 2:14 less per game puts up more hits per game 3.02 vs 2.15 from Z. 

That and a few hand picked fenwick and corsi stats from 3rd pairing deployments are what you hang your hat on? These are the reasons that Zadorov is a top 4 and worth 4.5 million over 6-7 years?  🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Ah yes your cherry picked stats.

Such as "he's 4th in points by a canucks dman so he must be a top 4"

Not mentioning the fact that he is tied with cole with 8 as a canuck, or the fact that soucy who has a better points percentage has played 15 less games but is only 2 points behind or even Juulsen who averages much less ice time has only 2 less points.

I'm guessing you added the "hits you feel the next day" as to discount the fact that our #7 dman Juulsen who plays 2:14 less per game puts up more hits per game 3.02 vs 2.15 from Z. 

That and a few hand picked fenwick and corsi stats from 3rd pairing deployments are what you hang your hat on? These are the reasons that Zadorov is a top 4 and worth 4.5 million over 6-7 years?  🤣🤣🤣

"Hand picked Fenwick and Corsi" last I checked Shots for good shots against baaad. You make it sound like Zad is terrible. Everyone on the team loves the guy. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Z in the playoffs. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Maybe amount of money he want

let's hope he sticks around in Van. 

He's exactly the kind of physical presence we need at the backend.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

I think he will.He already moved family here.For me good sighn

That doesn't necessarily mean he'll sign here, though. Most players when they're traded, their families move with them, don't they? 

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

let's hope he sticks around in Van. 

He's exactly the kind of physical presence we need at the backend.

100 percent. Those hits!? Who isn't smiling watching that? If your not grinning, you have no pulse. Lol. 

21 hours ago, spook007 said:

Can we just take a time to remember Juulsen is here for another year at $0.775M.... what a freaking steal...

Guy is gonna get a decent raise on his next deal.

• Cheers 1

I wonder if we could do Hronek for $6.75 - $7 million per for 8 years (give him full term to help keep the cap hit reasonable).

Then Zad for 4-5 years at maybe $3.75 - $4.25. I also believe he is more like a number 4/5 guy typically and he definitely has some fumbles in his own end, but brings lots of other good qualities. I love the physicality and if that means we over pay by a quarter or half a million then so be it. If he wants 5 million or something like that then I think you gotta let him walk. The team needs to be built smartly to best support our core and overpaying a bottom 3 Dman unfortunately isn't a priority.  

• Upvote 1