[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If Hronek actually wants 8.5mil. Trade em for a haul. And throw money at Pesce and/or Tanev. Hronek has cooled off heavily in the 2nd half of the season. 34 points in the first 41 games. In the 25 games since he has 11 points. Still playing with Huggy.

may just be that he’s experiencing some burnout from playing at QH’s pace/IQ?

I wonder if he was given the 2nd line to command would he fare better over the longterm?

if we land a Tanev for QH in offseason and someone from within roster can step up as 2B to Hronek, I think it would liberate him a bit too. I could be totally wrong and it a horrible take, but I just feel he could handle the responsibility as he matures and it would be such a boon to this club to have a top pairing Dman actually running your 2nd unit. That’s quality depth that can be very well insulated with whom else we have. 

Hronek’s going to have to live up to the $ of that next contract. Mgmt better squeeze him for all his worth if they can extend because we all know QH can carry anyone on his line.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RWJC said:

may just be that he’s experiencing some burnout from playing at QH’s pace/IQ?

I wonder if he was given the 2nd line to command would he fare better over the longterm?

if we land a Tanev for QH in offseason and someone from within roster can step up as 2B to Hronek, I think it would liberate him a bit too. I could be totally wrong and it a horrible take, but I just feel he could handle the responsibility as he matures and it would be such a boon to this club to have a top pairing Dman actually running your 2nd unit. That’s quality depth that can be very well insulated with whom else we have. 

Hronek’s going to have to live up to the $ of that next contract. Mgmt better squeeze him for all his worth if they can extend because we all know QH can carry anyone on his line.

Yeah, I think he might be struggling to keep pace with Hughes. Which just further proves he shouldn't be commanding over 8mil. 7mil is more than fair for Hronek. If he wants to get greedy, sign his walking papers, let some other team tie that Seth Jones anchor to themselves.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Obviously having an actual top 4 RHD in Hronek on the roster has been incredibly helpful and I've really enjoyed watching him play. But, if he is actually going to be demanding something around $8.5M I'd rather trade him to recoup our 1st and sign any two of Matt Roy/Brett Pesce/Dylan DeMelo/Chris Tanev in the offseason for the same price. Heck, Brandon Montour will probably cost less than that and could be a free agent option instead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/8/2024 at 10:32 PM, wai_lai416 said:

he ain't coming in sub 7  i'm gonna guess 7.5-8 somewhere there. don't really care what QH signed for tbh.. when QH signed you can argue he's about the same player hronek is now.. so if he gets QH money it's not that surprising.. no one cares how good QH is now.. when he signed he's no where close to the player he is right now and came off a horrendous season defensively and ppl were questioning if he's the next tyson barrie

They were?    Who are these people?    We need names!!

This feels a bit like another Anson Carter situation. Sure, you can try your luck on another team but are you going to find a better fit than playing with Hughes? There's no way Hronek is anywhere near an $8m player on just about any other pairing in the league. Take the $7m and be happy!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

sergachev was a top 10 pick, he also had back to back Stanley cups and then another SCF appearance so he had a ton of playoff success, lets see how this year goes, if we win the cup and hornet plays similar to sergachev then 8.0 is reasonable and I agree trade him and sign roy or pesce or Tanev plus you gain the assets from the trade 

• Like 2

8.5 seems high to me too. 7-7.5 seems fair (even if I wished it was closer to a little below 7 myself). 

I'm sure they are working on it and if the gap is too great then they'll have to consider trading him. He's an RFA and I think I recall reading his 1 year deal this would be like 5.5 or something, so we have some protections to take a little time with it. 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

sergachev was a top 10 pick, he also had back to back Stanley cups and then another SCF appearance so he had a ton of playoff success, lets see how this year goes, if we win the cup and hornet plays similar to sergachev then 8.0 is reasonable and I agree trade him and sign roy or pesce or Tanev plus you gain the assets from the trade 

also, does it make sense Hronek signs for more than Hughes did ???? I do not think so 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Yeah, not sure how they work that comparable. Sergachev last year had 64 points, 149 blocks, and a 128 hits. And has better takeaway to giveaway ratio. Guy is a two way stud who is willing to throw his weight around. Also won 2 championships. Hronek while very productive offensively, if you projected this year's production over 82 games still falls 10 points shy of Sergachev's totals last year. And that's before you factor in Sergachev is better defensively and physically, imo. Oh, and 2 championships. Health has betrayed Sergachev this year. But he is in a class above Hronek imo.

Not sure how anyone argues Hronek deserves Sergachev money with a 55 point pace, far and away his best point season too, 47 giveaways to 19 takeaways, barely a hit per game, and barely a block per game. Like, he's been good. But come on. He's not in that upper echelon of d-men. Sergachev clears Hronek in every way but one, which hand he plays the game. Hronek being right handed is really the only thing he has over Sergachev.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Obviously having an actual top 4 RHD in Hronek on the roster has been incredibly helpful and I've really enjoyed watching him play. But, if he is actually going to be demanding something around $8.5M I'd rather trade him to recoup our 1st and sign any two of Matt Roy/Brett Pesce/Dylan DeMelo/Chris Tanev in the offseason for the same price. Heck, Brandon Montour will probably cost less than that and could be a free agent option instead.

That's crazy. 8.5M for Hronek? He's good, but the questions on whether he's able to carry a defensive unit on his own is still, well, questionable because he plays so much with Hughes. If he's asking for 8.5M, then Allvin needs to see if they can bring that number down to mid to high 7's (low 7's, ideally). If they cannot, then you gotta start shopping him to see what you can get in return - hopefully it can be another RHD. A swap of RHD's if you will, or a prospect that's about to enter the NHL. Ideally you'd want another defenseman in return. 

With that being said, I think Hronek's a great 2nd pairing defenseman, and we need quality defenseman on our backend. I haven't heard of Matt Roy until only a few days ago when another poster mentioned him. If he's like a younger version of Tanev, then I'm all for signing him up, because we need a guy like that as well. Wonder what he would be asking for in the open market. 

Pesce in my opinion is probably going to command too much money and term. 

18 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

also, does it make sense Hronek signs for more than Hughes did ???? I do not think so 

Perhaps, but Hughes is going to be making far more than Hronek once his deal is done. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

8.5 seems high to me too. 7-7.5 seems fair (even if I wished it was closer to a little below 7 myself). 

I'm sure they are working on it and if the gap is too great then they'll have to consider trading him. He's an RFA and I think I recall reading his 1 year deal this would be like 5.5 or something, so we have some protections to take a little time with it. 

They're negotiating. Leaking it to Dhaliwal and other media. 8.5M I think is too high. Allvin and his team hopefully can bring that down to a reasonable number. 

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If Hronek actually wants 8.5mil. Trade em for a haul. And throw money at Pesce and/or Tanev. Hronek has cooled off heavily in the 2nd half of the season. 34 points in the first 41 games. In the 25 games since he has 11 points. Still playing with Huggy.

Agreed.  Management already shipped out Bo when he didn't want to take a pay cut, Hronek should return just as much, if not better quality.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If a player sets the price for himself to high doesn't that harm his trade value? 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That's crazy. 8.5M for Hronek? He's good, but the questions on whether he's able to carry a defensive unit on his own is still, well, questionable because he plays so much with Hughes. If he's asking for 8.5M, then Allvin needs to see if they can bring that number down to mid to high 7's (low 7's, ideally). If they cannot, then you gotta start shopping him to see what you can get in return - hopefully it can be another RHD. A swap of RHD's if you will, or a prospect that's about to enter the NHL. Ideally you'd want another defenseman in return. 

With that being said, I think Hronek's a great 2nd pairing defenseman, and we need quality defenseman on our backend. I haven't heard of Matt Roy until only a few days ago when another poster mentioned him. If he's like a younger version of Tanev, then I'm all for signing him up, because we need a guy like that as well. Wonder what he would be asking for in the open market. 

Pesce in my opinion is probably going to command too much money and term. 

Matt Roy has been LA's #2 RD behind Doughty for a few years now. He's been one of, if not the, top PKer on LA for about 4 seasons. They pretty much traded Durzi and Walker so they could keep Roy. Normally that would make me think he won't be available, but since they still haven't re-signed him and they have to make room for Brandt Clarke on the right side next season it makes me think might hit free agency.

Tanev might still be slightly better defensively but Roy can certainly hold his own. Plus he's more physical than Tanev. Not an offensive defenseman, but he's still good for 20-30 points. He's also only been making ~$3M. He will want a raise, but will likely still be under $5M.

3 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Sure hope his agent acknowledges the Hughes effect when negotiating.

3 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Sure hope his agent acknowledges the Hughes effect when negotiating.

I reckon management will before laughing behind the agent's back at the 8.5mil ask. Even with the Hughes bump he still fails to reach 60 points. He's not a shutdown guy either. So what about his game warrants 8.5mil? Lol.