[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

7 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Amongst right handed dmen he ranks 5th in points, 3rd in even strength points

and 1st in plus minus. He averages almost 24 minutes a game and plays in all situations. 6.5 is ridiculously low.

Low or not, I dont think they can afford to be top heavy.  $6.6-7 is the absolute ceiling, imo.  Even at $6.5 I think they should move him, get the assets and come up with another plan.

They paid a fair price for him, increased his value significantly, so why not sell high?

We all need to remember that Myers got $6AAV in a lower cap era. Locking up Hronek for under $8 would be a steal. Like others here I suspect he comes in around $7.5 give or take a couple hundred thousand in either direction depending on term. With the cap going up it will be a great value contract for us. 

10 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

We all need to remember that Myers got $6AAV in a lower cap era. Locking up Hronek for under $8 would be a steal. Like others here I suspect he comes in around $7.5 give or take a couple hundred thousand in either direction depending on term. With the cap going up it will be a great value contract for us. 

To me, it's not what he's worth or not, it's what they can afford and still have the depth to stay in the hunt long term.  In that context, it doesn't make sense to me to have another $7m+ player.

The issue with trading Hronek is that you're almost having to bring a replacement back in the trade, and there's no guarantee said replacement would mesh well with Hughes 

A D for D swap isn't outlandish, but there is risk, sometimes the devil you know is the way to go

I'd rather pay market value for a top 3D and cut costs in the bottom six if push came to shove, we need to start integrating ELC/younger guys at some point anyway 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I missed that - is it a credible report? 

I do think we could recover the value in picks/prospects we gave up, I'm not worried about that. 

This.

I believe the " report " is BS. 

That Hronek is unhappy or a deal was rejected falls into " Canucks frustrated Pettersson not coming to the table " and " Pettersson rejected a higher dollar amount earlier on " kind of crap.

Hronek as an RFA will be extended l9nger term in Vancouver. He has found personal success and team success being in Vancouver. Can be a part of a long successful window here. Zero doubt he gets signed and for a good dollar.

I think $ 55 over 8 years gets it done, if its in the low 7's still worth it.

You don't trade a righty offensive dman who plays with some snarl and entering his prime. No way.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

They don't have to trade him this year.  They can qualify him and have a year to trade and replace him.

Look what they got for rentals (heading to UFA) at the deadline this year, should be able to land a quality package in return.  

Especially if he has another strong year (playing with Hughes) or play him all season on the 2nd pairing and see how he preforms

Either way...gives our prospects (D-Petey & Willander) another year of development not to mention see what's available for UFA's in 2025.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Look what they got for rentals (heading to UFA) at the deadline this year, should be able to land a quality package in return.  

Especially if he has another strong year (playing with Hughes) or play him all season on the 2nd pairing and see how he preforms

Either way...gives our prospects (D-Petey & Willander) another year of development not to mention see what's available for UFA's in 2025.

Problem with that is if he is having another good year and we are at the top of the standings we won't be in a position to trade him away for futures. Would be much better for us and for all the other free agents if we got this done in the near future.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

And assets can be used in a trade if the decide that ufa isn't the way to go.  It opens up a lot of possibilities

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Problem with that is if he is having another good year and we are at the top of the standings we won't be in a position to trade him away for futures. Would be much better for us and for all the other free agents if we got this done in the near future.

I think it's probably going to be a step back year next year anyway as some key players are going to price themselves out of town, especially if they spend big on hronek.  Id rather see them qualify hronek, sign their depth guys and then spend next year re-jigging their plan.

Hronek is very good player and I could see him getting 8 million(ish) on the open market.

IMO the problem with signing him to deal in 8 million range is it comes at the expense of resigning our other D-men. 

That extra million (ish) could be the difference in resigning Zadorov at say $4.5- $4.75 million.

Unless you feel comfortable playing D-Petey on a ELC and letting someone like Cole walk, which would free up a little over 2 million in Cap space.

You'd have to accept D-Petey will probably go through some learning curves and make some mistakes but you need a cheap contract on the books

to make the cap work to resign Hronek and possibly Zads. 

They'd have to have a lot of faith in D-Petey in that senario...and we haven't even seen him play a game yet in North America.   

14 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Good point and I thought about that as well. 

You would have to assume that he replicates or improves on this seasons numbers...which is very possible.

It's also possible the team regresses a bit as we have some players having career seasons that we won't be able to bring back. 

I was thinking what if you played him on the second pairing with someone else though, it would PROBABLY bring his numbers, TOI, +/- down a bit. 

Then you'd get a more realistic metric as to his value, without the Hughes factor.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still expect he'd be pretty good but probably not the Hronek we're seeing this season.

Hughes has the ability to raise a players profile...he's done it with Schenn and now Hronek, so SOME of his sucess can be attributed to Hughes (IMO)

I do feel Hronek helps free up Hughes game as well though, so it's a bit of a 2 way street. LOL  

16 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Hronek is very good player and I could see him getting 8 million(ish) on the open market.

IMO the problem with signing him to deal in 8 million range is it comes at the expense of resigning our other D-men. 

That extra million (ish) could be the difference in resigning Zadorov at say $4.5- $4.75 million.

Unless you feel comfortable playing D-Petey on a ELC and letting someone like Cole walk, which would free up a little over 2 million in Cap space.

You'd have to accept D-Petey will probably go through some learning curves and make some mistakes but you need a cheap contract on the books

They'd have to have a lot of faith in D-Petey in that senario...and we haven't even seen him play a game yet in North America.   

You let Cole walk regardless of Hronek/Zadorov/etc. Cole is showing his age and it’s only going to get worse.

9 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

You let Cole walk regardless of Hronek/Zadorov/etc. Cole is showing his age and it’s only going to get worse.

I think Cole has been great for us this year, I think he's being played a little to much with injuries to Soucey and others throughout the year though. 

He needs to be rested heading into the playoffs IMO...In a perfect world I'd love to have him back as 6th-7th D-man.

He's perfect for depth on a Schenn like deal at $1 million(ish) 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

And other fwds as well.  I don't see Hronek as irreplaceable.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

And other fwds as well.  I don't see Hronek as irreplaceable.

My dream scenario...

Trade Lindy's rights to Boston for a 5th...becomes a 3rd or 4th if he signs with them. 

Use the money you'd have to pay Lindy to bring back Blueger and Joshua (2 players for the price of 1)

I really like their work ethic. They bring great chemistry and identity to the 3rd line that makes us hard to play against.   

I think we should keep Hronek if he comes in at 7.5 or less and I am not too worried about extending guys like Zadorov or Cole. 

I find it funny that a lot of fans seem to act like our management team is stuck with trying to keep all the guys we have as if they are our only option. It's extra weird when they did an awesome job of finding guys in the off-season last year, and we are now a team that players will actually want to play for. I guess this is left over trauma from the Benning years? 

I would keep a few of our best players at the best deal we can get, and trust in management to fill any holes left over. If our bottom end players are looking to get paid, they can do it elsewhere and will be replaced. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

$7.25x8 would be great

That is the qualifying offer plus 7 years at $7.5M. Hopefully Hronek understands the Hughes effect and can see the benefit of playing with Hughes for the next 8 years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VforVasili said:

I think we should keep Hronek if he comes in at 7.5 or less and I am not too worried about extending guys like Zadorov or Cole. 

I find it funny that a lot of fans seem to act like our management team is stuck with trying to keep all the guys we have as if they are our only option. It's extra weird when they did an awesome job of finding guys in the off-season last year, and we are now a team that players will actually want to play for. I guess this is left over trauma from the Benning years? 

I would keep a few of our best players at the best deal we can get, and trust in management to fill any holes left over. If our bottom end players are looking to get paid, they can do it elsewhere and will be replaced. 

Not me, depth is more important than being top heavy.  Just ask TO

3 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

This.

I believe the " report " is BS. 

That Hronek is unhappy or a deal was rejected falls into " Canucks frustrated Pettersson not coming to the table " and " Pettersson rejected a higher dollar amount earlier on " kind of crap.

Hronek as an RFA will be extended l9nger term in Vancouver. He has found personal success and team success being in Vancouver. Can be a part of a long successful window here. Zero doubt he gets signed and for a good dollar.

I think $ 55 over 8 years gets it done, if its in the low 7's still worth it.

You don't trade a righty offensive dman who plays with some snarl and entering his prime. No way.

Yep I'd be happy with the that.

• Cheers 1

I don't really see a world where Hronek is an impending UFA next year.  I suppose it's possible.  My guess is Allvin sent a pretty clear message when he announced a formal offer had been made.  Either we sign an extension before arbitration or you're getting dealt.  

3 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

My dream scenario...

Trade Lindy's rights to Boston for a 5th...becomes a 3rd or 4th if he signs with them. 

Use the money you'd have to pay Lindy to bring back Blueger and Joshua (2 players for the price of 1)

I really like their work ethic. They bring great chemistry and identity to the 3rd line that makes us hard to play against.   

Joshua and Blueger are replacable. Lindy is an elite defensive C. I don’t know if people actually watch the little thing in the games, but he is a master and  deadly in the FO circle (ops hand to Miller). IF we can get him at 6-6.5m over 5yr, you do it all day.

Hronek is the Top 4RHD we’ve been positioning for years. To top that, he has chemistry with Hughes. Why do you trade that for some magic beans because now we have him we want to under value his role. Terrible short sighted view

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Not me, depth is more important than being top heavy.  Just ask TO

We had that before, and begged to get a Top 4 RHD. Now we have him, we want more 5/6 guys again…..geez.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, VforVasili said:

I agree on Hronek, but disagree on Zads; he is the next priority after Hronek. Cole , Joshua, Blueger types are great fits, but guys you can sign in tier 2/3 of FA all day long to reasonable contracts OR simply promote from within.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I agree on Hronek, but disagree on Zads; he is the next priority after Hronek. Cole , Joshua, Blueger types are great fits, but guys you can sign in tier 2/3 of FA all day long to reasonable contracts OR simply promote from within.

I love Zads I just don't see how we can afford him. 

5 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I think Cole has been great for us this year, I think he's being played a little to much with injuries to Soucey and others throughout the year though. 

He needs to be rested heading into the playoffs IMO...In a perfect world I'd love to have him back as 6th-7th D-man.

He's perfect for depth on a Schenn like deal at $1 million(ish) 

He was the first half of the season. He’s dropped off significantly. I agree that he’s been over played and I’d have no problem with him coming back as a 6/7 d that sees limited games next year at minimum wage (like you said, about 1 million), but otherwise I think there’s other players out there who could provide equal or better play for the same salary.