[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

1 hour ago, NorthWestNuck said:

He was the first half of the season. He’s dropped off significantly. I agree that he’s been over played and I’d have no problem with him coming back as a 6/7 d that sees limited games next year at minimum wage (like you said, about 1 million), but otherwise I think there’s other players out there who could provide equal or better play for the same salary.

Cole is perfectly okay as the stop gap 2nd pair RHD for next year while we develop guys in house. The problem with Cole right now is he played a ton of hockey early with Soucys injuries and before Juulsen molded into a reliable 3rd pair guy. When he was fresher, he looked great!

With Myers back, I’d start to rest him for a bit; he is going to be huge for use come playoffs. With all our guys healthy, we have fabulous depth. It’s sac religious to say, but I’d even rest Hughes…..if even reduce his TOI to 3rd pair numbers for 5 or so games.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Cole is perfectly okay as the stop gap 2nd pair RHD for next year while we develop guys in house. The problem with Cole right now is he played a ton of hockey early with Soucys injuries and before Juulsen molded into a reliable 3rd pair guy. When he was fresher, he looked great!

With Myers back, I’d start to rest him for a bit; he is going to be huge for use come playoffs. With all our guys healthy, we have fabulous depth. It’s sac religious to say, but I’d even rest Hughes…..if even reduce his TOI to 3rd pair numbers for 5 or so games.

I know Dpetey is at least 2-3 seasons away from stepping in and being a impact player but I love the snarl he has shown along with his skillset, we certainly need more of it, I'm bummed we might not be able to keep Zads because of giving too much money to EP40 who isn't consistent and has zero snarl.. do I care I'll probably get flamed for saying that? Nope, I'd have been fine if we had have traded him, he just doesn't have the drive for that kind of money.. 

Anyway great point about resting Hughes, hope that happens, I'm happy with Demko getting some rest but I wish it wasn't due to injury, same with Joshua, he's going to be huge need in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Joshua and Blueger are replacable. Lindy is an elite defensive C. I don’t know if people actually watch the little thing in the games, but he is a master and  deadly in the FO circle (ops hand to Miller). IF we can get him at 6-6.5m over 5yr, you do it all day.

Hronek is the Top 4RHD we’ve been positioning for years. To top that, he has chemistry with Hughes. Why do you trade that for some magic beans because now we have him we want to under value his role. Terrible short sighted view

Everyone is replaceable, ESPECIALLY defensive 3rd line centers making 6+ million a year.    

22 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Myers will get offers of 4M which is too rich for my blood, and I think we can get Tanev for 3-4M. At this point in time I'd make that switch but you just know Tanev will end up on LTIR with us and Myers will drop a 50pt season elsewhere.

There's a lot of good looking UFA defencemen I'd keep an eye out for, we're surely going to be doing some big reshuffling on defence. I think we have to lock in Zadorov and then can just rotate UFA/kids around Zad and Soucy over the next 3 years.

Yea, If Myers is looking at 4M, that's probably a hard pass from me as well. I hope he takes 3M to stay here. 

Myers is younger than Tanev, and Tanev while he could take less, he's also been injury prone when he's been here in the past. I don't know how being older now is going to help him stay healthier. 

Which UFA defensemen are you looking at that looks good? 

I agree that Zadorov needs to be resigned. He brings an element to that backend that nobody else brings. 

3 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Everyone is replaceable, ESPECIALLY defensive 3rd line centers making 6+ million a year.    

Yeah, Lindholm at 6M - I'm not sure if that's good money spent especially given how cap strapped this team is. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

who isn't consistent and has zero snarl..

He produced 100 points last season. 

The snarl part, I might agree. But that's just not in his game. 

He was over a point per game last season. He's just under it this season. That's pretty consistent if you ask me. 

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea, If Myers is looking at 4M, that's probably a hard pass from me as well. I hope he takes 3M to stay here. 

Myers is younger than Tanev, and Tanev while he could take less, he's also been injury prone when he's been here in the past. I don't know how being older now is going to help him stay healthier. 

Which UFA defensemen are you looking at that looks good? 

I agree that Zadorov needs to be resigned. He brings an element to that backend that nobody else brings. 

I know there's a lot of big fish like Skeij, Pesce, Hanifin etc. who probably won't come here but I'd go hard after Matt Roy if he's even vaguely available. Sean Walker's another one but they're on good teams who will surely try and re-sign them. It'd be nice to get one of these guys above and then a veteran guy (Tanev > Myers > Cole).

23 hours ago, stawns said:

I do watch and don't find any issue with him, in fact he makes some great plays.  Every player makes some mistakes, especially when you play big mins.  That's just the law of averages.

Were you watching Hronek last night against the Caps?

I ask because there were a couple of examples of his defensive play on display last night.

He was on the ice for both Washington goals. With the icing calls, RT was unable to get him off the ice for the defensive zone face offs.

He was out of position on both goals.

On the second goal, he arrived back just in time to flop on the ice and go swimming in the blue paint. It was comical but I wasn't laughing.

I have no problem with Hronek bringing the puck up the ice and with his interaction with Hughes. On the offensive side, they are effective together.

My problem with Hronek is with his defensive play. He is weak in the defensive zone. Our weakest defender IMO. Though I'm not going to beat the drum for Cole either.

I still believe that Hronek can be a valuable member of our team. Not opposed to re-signing him. Also not opposed to moving him if his demands are out of whack with our cap situation. I liked his play early in the season but as we have gotten into the dog days of the schedule I am seeing some of the warts that Yzerman may have seen. I have become somewhat blase about this player.

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He produced 100 points last season. 

The snarl part, I might agree. But that's just not in his game. 

He was over a point per game last season. He's just under it this season. That's pretty consistent if you ask me. 

I meant the consistency of a McDavid etc, the guys who have the drive to take over games, and sure he scored 100 last season but this season some nights he's invisible and that's unacceptable for almost 13 a season, we need a guy with snarl or the competitiveness of a JTM if we're going to pay that kind of money. Idk man, he doesn't look as confident these days either. 

1 minute ago, Artemus said:

Were you watching Hronek last night against the Caps?

I ask because there were a couple of examples of his defensive play on display last night.

He was on the ice for both Washington goals. With the icing calls, RT was unable to get him off the ice for the defensive zone face offs.

He was out of position on both goals.

On the second goal, he arrived back just in time to flop on the ice and go swimming in the blue paint. It was comical but I wasn't laughing.

I have no problem with Hronek bringing the puck up the ice and with his interaction with Hughes. On the offensive side, they are effective together.

My problem with Hronek is with his defensive play. He is weak in the defensive zone. Our weakest defender IMO. Though I'm not going to beat the drum for Cole either.

I still believe that Hronek can be a valuable member of our team. Not opposed to re-signing him. Also not opposed to moving him if his demands are out of whack with our cap situation. I liked his play early in the season but as we have gotten into the dog days of the schedule I am seeing some of the warts that Yzerman may have seen. I have become somewhat blase about this player.

I thought hronek actually quite a good game last night.  He played hard, physical and had some great defensive plays.

If you zero in on Nick Lindstrom at his prak, you'll find more mistakes than stellar plays.  That holds true for every single player in the history of the game 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iceman1964 said:

I meant the consistency of a McDavid etc, the guys who have the drive to take over games, and sure he scored 100 last season but this season some nights he's invisible and that's unacceptable for almost 13 a season, we need a guy with snarl or the competitiveness of a JTM if we're going to pay that kind of money. Idk man, he doesn't look as confident these days either. 

I feel like he needs a stick or curve change and maybe a rocker adjustment on his skate.  He doesn't seem confident with either.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I thought hronek actually quite a good game last night.  He played hard, physical and had some great defensive plays.

If you zero in on Nick Lindstrom at his prak, you'll find more mistakes than stellar plays.  That holds true for every single player in the history of the game 

We are going off on a tangent with reference to Nick Lidstrom but my recollections of him are that he was very consistent and made few mistakes. I am quite doubtful that Yzerman would have moved Lidstrom in his prime for the same package that got us Hronek.

1 minute ago, Artemus said:

We are going off on a tangent with reference to Nick Lidstrom but my recollections of him are that he was very consistent and made few mistakes. I am quite doubtful that Yzerman would have moved Lidstrom in his prime for the same package that got us Hronek.

If you focus in on any player, ever, the warts on any given shift are far more prevalent than the good plays.  Hockey is a game of mistakes 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Agree to disagree. I like Cole, but if he’s playing 2nd line d we’ve got a big problem. I’d let both him and Myers go and find a real 2nd line d to play with Soucy/ Zads and Juulson with the other for your 3rd pair.

45 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Agree to disagree. I like Cole, but if he’s playing 2nd line d we’ve got a big problem. I’d let both him and Myers go and find a real 2nd line d to play with Soucy/ Zads and Juulson with the other for your 3rd pair.

I like Cole's physicality.

However, almost every time he gets the puck he either gives it away to the other team or just dumps it out where the other team gets it. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, Lindholm at 6M - I'm not sure if that's good money spent especially given how cap strapped this team is. 

He's a luxury the Canucks (and most teams) cannot afford at center in a 3rd line role...in todays NHL. 

Are there any teams that feature a 3rd line center making $6 million or more a season?

I haven't checked, I suspect not...could be wrong though.

Maybe if a team is hiding someone on LTIR...I'm looking at you Vegas and Colorado. LOL  

3 hours ago, Mac said:

However, almost every time he gets the puck he either gives it away to the other team or just dumps it out where the other team gets it. 

The same could be said of Myers (maybe minus the physicality). Even when Myers is noticed positively this season, it’s often a result of responding to something negatively he had just done earlier, such as blocking a shot after giving away the puck.

not to say I don’t like either player, they just wouldn’t be in my top 6 going forward.

4 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Sorry to break it to you but Cole has been top 4 in minutes on our D all season long. He is 8 seconds behind Myers for 3rd and 1:50 higher than Zadorov at 6th.

This "big problem" has us 4th place in the entire league.

Edited by Coryberg

4 hours ago, Mac said:

Is he physical though?  I can barely remember him throwing a hit.  Certainly none that stand out anyway.  Zadorov and Juulsen, on the other hand, are very physical (similar to Schenn and Burroughs last year).

40 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Is he physical though?  I can barely remember him throwing a hit.  Certainly none that stand out anyway.  Zadorov and Juulsen, on the other hand, are very physical (similar to Schenn and Burroughs last year).

Cole doesn’t hit much. He has less hits than Hronek this year. Cole was already wearing down when Zadorov arrived. The plan was to load manage him. But Soucy kept getting injured, so he’s had to play every game. 

I’m pretty sure we will see Juulsen in the lineup real soon. He’s a lot more physical than Cole and is a right shot. 

2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Sorry to break it to you but Cole has been top 4 in minutes on our D all season long. He is 8 seconds behind Myers for 3rd and 1:50 higher than Zadorov at 6th.

This "big problem" has us 4th place in the entire league.

And 15th in wins since January. I get he excelled earlier, but his play has slid the longer the season goes on. He needs to be resting.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

If you watch the games yes he is physical.  It isn’t about throwing an occasional big hit.  He is always giving extra jabs and making it hard for the opposition after every whistle.  You can see he makes it miserable for opposing players kind of Willie Mitchell used to do.

He had to lay off that as he was asked to play too many minutes and keep himself on the ice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

And 15th in wins since January. I get he excelled earlier, but his play has slid the longer the season goes on. He needs to be resting.

Exactly. We are 9-7-3 over our last 19 games since the all star break.  At this pace, we won’t even win the division. 

Most of our defencemen including Hughes have tailed off over the last 6 weeks. 

Cole is our oldest player. I’d rather we load manage him the rest of the season. I’m hoping Juulsen gets in real soon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly. We are 9-7-3 over our last 19 games since the all star break.  At this pace, we won’t even win the division. 

Most of our defencemen including Hughes have tailed off over the last 6 weeks. 

Cole is our oldest player. I’d rather we load manage him the rest of the season. I’m hoping Juulsen gets in real soon. 

Finance Newsletter GIF by tastytrade

42 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Finance Newsletter GIF by tastytrade

So you think it's a good idea to play a 35 year old Dman every game the rest of the way when he's clearly tailed off like the other Dmen we have and we have Juulsen sitting in the press box?  We are barely a .500 team since the all star break, but you think we should just keep the status quo and do nothing?  Not only is Cole 35, he is also playing his off side, which makes things even more difficult.  I noticed last game that they had Soucy and Zadorov on the right side on some shifts, so it clearly is a problem to have a left shot on the right side and Tocchet doesn't like it anyways.

I know your counter argument will be that Zadorov is the one that should sit as he's barely a #6 dman according to you, but I know that Tocchet will never do that, as Zadorov is the only physical presence we have in the lineup other than Joshua, who isn't playing right now.  Also, Zadorov can actually provide some offence, unlike Cole and Soucy...

• Like 1