[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on how many minutes x pairing is averaging 

Hughes averages nearly 24:44 minutes a night playing in all situations, Hronek is averaging 23:40 

I get the argument for splitting them up, but I'd stick with what's clearly working and look to address the second pairing independent of that 

With what money though? Of course if there was no cap that would be great. 

Reducing Hughes mins should be a priority. We can't keep playing Hughes pushing 30 mins 

Frankly, same situation as with Petterson.  If he isn’t signed to a reasonable deal before the draft you flip him.  

We would be able to get more than what we paid for him.  He has had a huge bump in production since being here.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Frankly, same situation as with Petterson.  If he isn’t signed to a reasonable deal before the draft you flip him.  

We would be able to get more than what we paid for him.  He has had a huge bump in production since being here.

#17 and 43 pick value. I would think this is pretty do-able in trade. I'd prefer we get NHL ready prospects but picks and cap space are fine too. 

On 3/15/2024 at 3:39 PM, BC_Hawk said:

With the exception of his stupid turnovers last game, the guy has been great since he got here and plays very smart sound hockey every night; he isn't the flashy goal scoring player some people thought he was. Being able to utilize him on touch matchups, critical FOs, and on the PK is SO valuable. In addition, he is a great setup guy, and you are starting to see that on the 3rd line.

He is a smart player, good 2-way, and makes some good plays - no doubt. And I never really expected him to be flashy. But for a guy who managed to put up a point a game in '22, and for the amount we paid to get him, I was hoping for more than "some good plays".

On 3/15/2024 at 3:44 PM, BC_Hawk said:

Its Myers or Cole or ?? as a stop gap 2nd pair RHD until we can get one of our developmental guys into the lineup (Willander, Pettreson, McWard, etc). Who it is will be all about who takes the right amount of $$ (~<2.5m). With Juulsen's development this year and cap hit, he is guaranteed 3rd pair RHD next year barring injury. 

I think they are keen to keep Myers if the price is right. I would imagine he has a higher chance of being re-signed than Cole - even if Myers will likely be sought after for more than we're willing to pay. But you're right - no matter who is signed, it's really a stop-gap until Willander and co. make it to the bigs.

Totally agree on Juulsen. I think in today's cap-strapped league, you have to play a few guys in lesser roles who don't make much yet can outperform that low salary. Only way you have enough left over to pay the stars.

If hronek is asking over $8m and the Canucks didn't want to pay him, would anyone be happy with a deal to montreal for lane hutson, Winnipeg's 1st and Colorado's second?

Youd also get a ton of cap space to go shopping for a d replacement.

Hutson is a Hughes lite and plays with willander in uni.  It'd be nice having two offensively dynamic d men in the lineup.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

If hronek is asking over $8m and the Canucks didn't want to pay him, would anyone be happy with a deal to montreal for lane hutson, Winnipeg's 1st and Colorado's second?

Hutson is a Hughes lite and plays with willander in uni.  It'd be nice having two offensively dynamic d men in the lineup.

If that’s the deal on the table I take it immediately 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

If that’s the deal on the table I take it immediately 

I just saw a habs blogger saying trading hutson now makes sense, no rumour or anything.  I'm sure the Canucks would have to add a guy like karlsson and probably take back a contract like Gallagher or Anderson to make it work.

I do think it'd make sense for montreal as they'd get a top 2 d in his prime.  They need to start making hay before these young guys get massive raises

On 3/20/2024 at 3:42 PM, Hammertime said:

With what money though? Of course if there was no cap that would be great. 

Reducing Hughes mins should be a priority. We can't keep playing Hughes pushing 30 mins 

Yeah, definitely need to give Hughes lighter minutes, or else he's going to crash and burn by the time the playoffs come around. That doesn't make much sense unless we don't intend to go very far. 

13 hours ago, stawns said:

I just saw a habs blogger saying trading hutson now makes sense, no rumour or anything.  I'm sure the Canucks would have to add a guy like karlsson and probably take back a contract like Gallagher or Anderson to make it work.

I do think it'd make sense for montreal as they'd get a top 2 d in his prime.  They need to start making hay before these young guys get massive raises

Lane Hutson? That guy is so small. He's 5'9? 

I thought we wanted to get bigger on the backend? We already have Quinn, is Hutson the next Hughes? I don't think those two would be paired together, and if Hutson is so good, why would Montréal trade him? 

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Question is, who's available on the free agent market that you could get for a youngish middle 20's RHD in the league? 

Those guys don't become available very often, and if they are, they cost an arm and a leg to acquire. Something to the effect of crippling the team. And it's not getting another RHD of the same age or ilk from another team's active roster, because why would another team trade their RHD's? 

Another poster did mention about getting Parayko, but he's 30 years old already, and is signed to another 6 year extension. Do we want another Myers contract?? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Lane Hutson? That guy is so small. He's 5'9? 

I thought we wanted to get bigger on the backend? We already have Quinn, is Hutson the next Hughes? I don't think those two would be paired together, and if Hutson is so good, why would Montréal trade him? 

Hughes is only 5'10

You need a mix of different sizes and styles.  I think they need another play driver on the backend more than they need size.  Hutson provides that and he'd have Hughes as his mentor.

Move Hronek and you can keep Myers and Zad and maybe go after Pesce.

A gamble, sure, but one that could pay off huge

On 3/22/2024 at 5:02 PM, GuyLafleur10 said:

Unless Hronek switches agents, I say trade him.  His agent compares NBA salaries with NHL salaries, a mindset that is trying to create a different market.

This contract negotiation is going to be interesting to say the least. 

I don't get the sense that Hronek is tied here, and wants to remain here. I'm not entirely certain that a deal gets done. Can't imagine Hronek's asking price would be in the 8's. But I wouldn't be surprised either considering this is negotiations, and you never start with a low number if you're Hronek's camp. Canucks? They're not starting at a high number, which is what we all expected (not surprised that the first offer was so low). 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Hughes is only 5'10

You need a mix of different sizes and styles.  I think they need another play driver on the backend more than they need size.  Hutson provides that and he'd have Hughes as his mentor.

A gamble, sure, but one that could pay off huge

Yes. That's true. But there were certain question marks about his ability when he first broke into the league if I'm not mistaken, because of his size. But 5'10 psychologically isn't as "small" as someone who's an inch smaller than that, at 5'9. Hutson's skills better be elite, or I really can't see him making it in the league, unless he plays bigger than his frame. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Pesce is going to cost a lot in free agency. Do you think Pesce is going to cost just as much as what Hronek's camp is asking for? Because I can't really see Pesce making less than Hronek. 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Pesce is going to cost a lot in free agency. Do you think Pesce is going to cost just as much as what Hronek's camp is asking for? Because I can't really see Pesce making less than Hronek. 

Not even close.  Pesce doesn't have the numbers Hronek has playing with Hughes, yet he's probably better defensively.  I like hronek and was thrilled when they got him, but his value is highly inflated, imo.  Without Hughes he's a $6m dollar player.

Pesce has 13 points this year, how would you think he's getting hronek money?

I've gotta assume those of you saying we should move Hronek are assuming that he wouldn't sign for $8m or less.  If we can re-sign him for $8m or less, it'd be idiotic to trade him away.

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

You could also use assets from a hronek deal to find a new hronek on the trade market.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I've gotta assume those of you saying we should move Hronek are assuming that he wouldn't sign for $8m or less.  If we can re-sign him for $8m or less, it'd be idiotic to trade him away.

Depends.........I think he's a $6m dollar dman if not for Hughes. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Depends.........I think he's a $6m dollar dman if not for Hughes. 

Disagree.  He's a 50pt RHD with or without Hughes.  He did it in Detroit too.