[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

On 3/12/2024 at 9:58 PM, Hammertime said:

Yes then when he signs for 3.75m it will be declared a discount. JR and PA are genius 

Yeah, I don't think so. 

That's pretty steep coming off an ELC, $825,000 a year deal.

He needs to prove he can do that more than one year, especially in his contract year. 

Edited by Barn Burner

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

I’m guessing Hronek’s camp is using Toews as a comparable.  A complimentary dmen who has allowed Makar to flourish much like Hronek has helped Hughes have his most offensive season to date.  Toews just signed an extension for $7.25m per year after a RFA contract of $4.1m per year.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer Toews but I can’t fault Hronek’s camp for trying to get $6.5m - 7’ish.

They may very well might be and no one is disputing what his market value might be.  He's nowhere near Toews at this point, imo, after one year over 40 points and average defensively.  At least Toews had two 50+ points seasons, and close to a third thid year, on his resume.  He's at least proven something beyond this one year. 

Let another team overpay him, imo.

To me, the only thing he's proven is that it's beneficial to play with hughes in a contract year.  Id rather see them go to arbitration, get the one year deal, play him on his own pairing and see if he proves himself.

Again, until this season, he's never had over 38 points and now, after playing with arguably the best offensive dmsn on the planet, he deserves af least $8m over 8 years. 

No way.......I hope PA sees that and draws a line in the sand

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

They may very well might be and no one is disputing what his market value might be.  He's nowhere near Toews at this point, imo, after one year over 40 points and average defensively.  At least Toews had two 50+ points seasons, and close to a third thid year, on his resume.  He's at least proven something beyond this one year. 

Let another team overpay him, imo.

To me, the only thing he's proven is that it's beneficial to play with hughes in a contract year.  Id rather see them go to arbitration, get the one year deal, play him on his own pairing and see if he proves himself.

Again, until this season, he's never had over 38 points and now, after playing with arguably the best offensive dmsn on the planet, he deserves af least $8m over 8 years. 

No way.......I hope PA sees that and draws a line in the sand

Hronek is getting signed long term so you might as well come to grips with it.  PA didn’t give up a 1st and 2nd to find a young’ish RHD who’s going to get near 50 points only to do it all over again.

Also, along your line of argument, Toews was only a 31 point dman prior to playing with Makar.

Edited by fanofvan

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Hronek is getting signed long term so you might as well come to grips with it.  PA didn’t give up a 1st and 2nd to find a young’ish RHD who’s going to get near 50 points only to do it all over again.

It doesn't sound so sure to me, as there's lots of reports about them drawing a line in the sand at Hughes contract and hroneks camp laughing at that.

PA made what he thought was a fair deal and hroneks agent didn't even consider it

Just now, stawns said:

It doesn't sound so sure to me, as there's lots of reports about them drawing a line in the sand at Hughes contract and hroneks camp laughing at that.

PA made what he thought was a fair deal and hroneks agent didn't even consider it

PA also said they made “fair” offers to EP…negotiations aren’t one and done.

7 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

PA also said they made “fair” offers to EP…negotiations aren’t one and done.

If I remember correctly, the rumour was they offered him $11-12m in the summer and he held off.  Then he signed an $11.6m dollar deal right before the tdl with rumours of deals in the works. 

To me that seems like PA had a number and stuck to it to me and Petey caved, if you can call taking 11.6 a year "caving"

6 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Yeah, I don't think so. 

That's pretty steep coming off an ELC, $825,000 a year deal.

He needs to prove he can do that more than one year, especially in his contract year. 

The proof will be in the puddin. Playoffs are where he will determine his value.  

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

The proof will be in the puddin. Playoffs are where he will determine his value.  

We'll see. It's only one year.

Amazing how most of these guys excel in their contract year. 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

If I remember correctly, the rumour was they offered him $11-12m in the summer and he held off.  Then he signed an $11.6m dollar deal right before the tdl with rumours of deals in the works. 

To me that seems like PA had a number and stuck to it to me and Petey caved, if you can call taking 11.6 a year "caving"

No I don't. I think Pete came to his senses and accepted a fair offer instead of putting himself before the team having realized the negative effect of holding out. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

No I don't. I think Pete came to his senses and accepted a fair offer instead of putting himself before the team having realized the negative effect of holding out. 

I think so too.  I think PA stuck pretty close to his number and when rumours of possible deals surfaced, Petey chose to stay in van.  To me it sounds like hronek is going for absolute maximum

1 hour ago, stawns said:

We'll see in the playoffs I guess.  He wins a lot of faceoffs and is always the first pick when it comes to protecting a lead in the last minute.  A lot more to hockey than offense, a lot

Defense factors so much more into playoff hockey than many realize. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fanofvan said:

Purely for the sake of argument….. you let Hronek go, who you replacing him with on the top pair?

hmmm…. You get a high 1st round pick + for Hronek in a trade, and $7.5-$8 million in cap space you would have used on him.

Lots of solid veteran D as UFAs this summer who may well prioritize going to a team with a chance to win.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

We'll see. It's only one year.

Amazing how most of these guys excel in their contract year. 

Not really. He had a good year last year too. He's had a much better opportunity this year with much better line mates. He's been missed. 

We will see what he does in the playoffs and either pay him accordingly or walk away accordingly if his ask is too rich.  

50 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Also, along your line of argument, Toews was only a 31 point dman prior to playing with Makar.

He was, but he's put up two consecutive 50+ points seasons and should be close again this season.  Hronek is yet to hit 50 and only 40 once, this season.  So I'd say Toews has a much better resume, wouldnt you?

Toews extension is also only 7 years and 50.75m or $7.25/year.  To me, that's says hroneks number should start with 6, but reports are his camp is expecting it to start with an 8.

Give Toews last three seasons (including this year) compared to Hronek's, does that make sense to you?

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, fanofvan said:

They can absolutely recoup what they paid for him in trade and then some now.

You don’t just empty the bank for a guy because you traded for him.

Agents can have all the demands they want, but the rubber hits the road when the team starts looking at trade options. Does Hronek want to spend the next year playing in Buffalo or Ottawa?

3 hours ago, fanofvan said:

Purely for the sake of argument….. you let Hronek go, who you replacing him with on the top pair?

Purely for the sake of argument. If Juulsen can perform as Schenn did. I believe he can be better. 

The Hughes Schenn pairing played 449mins together last year. They were on the ice for 28g with 19 against remember this is bottom feeder last years canucks if we extrapolate that over Hughes Hroneks mins this year thats roughly 65.5 gf and 44 against.  Hronek Hughes were on the ice for 68gf and 42 against this year so far. 

Is the less than 3% increase worth paying double for?

Edited by Hammertime

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I'm on record I'm down to go as high as 7.8m on Hronek. 

If that's a non starter I'm asking around for a top 10 pick or top 15 +

Even though Toews, who has a significantly better resume, is getting $7.25m?

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Is Towes available?

No, but he just signed a 7 year extension, is the same age as hronek, plays with the only hughes comparable and has two 50+ seasons under his belt, on his way to his third.

This is the first time Hronek has been over 40 points.

Toews'  extension is $7.25x 7 years.

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, Provost said:

hmmm…. You get a high 1st round pick + for Hronek in a trade, and $7.5-$8 million in cap space you would have used on him.

Lots of solid veteran D as UFAs this summer who may well prioritize going to a team with a chance to win.

So you’re back to square 1 looking for a RHD partner for Hughes after they traded for one because you don’t want to pay what he’s worth…great plan!

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

No, but he just signed a 7 year extension, is the same age as hronek, plays with the only hughes comparable and has two 50+ seasons under his belt, on his way to his third.

This is the first time Hronek has been over 40 points.

Toews'  extension is $7.25x 7 years.

He was also a 31 point dman before being paired up with Makar.

47 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Purely for the sake of argument. If Juulsen can perform as Schenn did. I believe he can be better. 

The Hughes Schenn pairing played 449mins together last year. They were on the ice for 28g with 19 against remember this is bottom feeder last years canucks if we extrapolate that over Hughes Hroneks mins this year thats roughly 65.5 gf and 44 against.  Hronek Hughes were on the ice for 68gf and 42 against this year so far. 

Is the less than 3% increase worth paying double for?

You’re kidding that you think Juulsen can be a #1 RHD…right??

58 minutes ago, Provost said:

They can absolutely recoup what they paid for him in trade and then some now.

You don’t just empty the bank for a guy because you traded for him.

Agents can have all the demands they want, but the rubber hits the road when the team starts looking at trade options. Does Hronek want to spend the next year playing in Buffalo or Ottawa?

Empty the bank?  What is a top pairing RHD worth?  I’m sorry but unless you’re trading Lekkerimaki or Willander you’re not getting a bonafide #1 RHD on a cheap deal.

• Cheers 1