[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

43 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

He was also a 31 point dman before being paired up with Makar.

Right and has put up two, possibly soon to be three,  consecutive 50+ point seadons and hronek has yet to produce 1.  So why should hronek get more than Toews when Toews has a better resume, is the same age and plays with the only comparable player to Hughes?

Can you explain your reasoning to me because you're the one who cited toews as the likely comparable

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Not really. He had a good year last year too. He's had a much better opportunity this year with much better line mates. He's been missed. 

We will see what he does in the playoffs and either pay him accordingly or walk away accordingly if his ask is too rich.  

Yeah, really. 

He wasn't bad last year, but suddenly, this year the guy's been playing lights out.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Right and has put up two, possibly soon to be three,  consecutive 50+ point seadons and hronek has yet to produce 1.  So why should hronek get more than Toews when Toews has a better resume, is the same age and plays with the only comparable player to Hughes?

Can you explain your reasoning to me because you're the one who cited toews as the likely comparable

At no point did I say or infer that Hronek should get more than Toews...I said it was a comparable situation, which it is.  I'm pretty sure I said 6.5m - 7'ish.

Hronek has more points, hits, a better +/-, and a higher TOI than Toews but it must be because Hronek is in a contract year and Toews already signed his so he has no incentive...right?

Edited by fanofvan
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I would say that Toews is the better Dman but not substantially. As for 50+ point seasons Hronek was on pace for 52 points last season and this season is on pace for 52 points. 

Hronek is 4 years younger and will be signed through his peak/plateau where as toews deal will take him to age 37. Let's not discount the fact that Hronek is a right handed D and Toews is left handed, supply and demand.

I would be elated to get Hronek signed to the same contract as toews. That would be a home run.

Edited by Coryberg
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

What are you talking about? 
Hronek is four years younger and a RHD.

Sorry if I jumped in but those two bits about age and hand is very expensive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fanofvan said:

You’re kidding that you think Juulsen can be a #1 RHD…right??

What's the obsession with #1 RHD or elite wingers for Pete. I love Suter with Miller Brock. Burr with the Sedins, Morrison on the WCE. It's about finding the right fit to get the maximum value per dollar out of your roster. Is Hronek better than Schenn/Juulsen? Of course he is. But when you brake it down and count beans Schenn Hughes was more bang for your buck leaving more money to spend balancing the roster. Hronek doesn't bring 7m+ added value to that pairing. Now if Hronek can carry his own pairing that's different. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

What's the obsession with #1 RHD or elite wingers for Pete. I love Suter with Miller Brock. Burr with the Sedins, Morrison on the WCE. It's about finding the right fit to get the maximum value per dollar out of your roster. Is Hronek better than Schenn/Juulsen? Of course he is. But when you brake it down and count beans Schenn Hughes was more bang for your buck leaving more money to spend balancing the roster. Hronek doesn't bring 7m+ added value to that pairing. Now if Hronek can carry his own pairing that's different. 

We coukd trade Hronek for a huge return and sign Tanev as a partner for Hughes. Save 4 per on the cap and add the Hronek return. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We coukd trade Hronek for a huge return and sign Tanev as a partner for Hughes. Save 4 per on the cap and add the Hronek return. 

I think we have to look beyond assist point totals. Does Fil carry his pairing? Is he a physical threat? Can he be as productive away from Hughes? Is he durable? Is he a leader?

Lots to consider.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

What are you talking about? 
Hronek is four years younger and a RHD.

Sorry if I jumped in but those two bits about age and hand is very expensive.

you're right on the age part, I was looking at someone else.  Doesn't change the comparable though, everything else is the same.  Rhd makes no difference 

32 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think we have to look beyond assist point totals. Does Fil carry his pairing? Is he a physical threat? Can he be as productive away from Hughes? Is he durable? Is he a leader?

Lots to consider.  

Totally agree with this. 

I do think Hronek does have a pretty solid physical game, makes big hits. He can also fill in as chief puck mover and PP1 point shot in the event that Hughes (knock on wood) ever gets hurt. As far as being a leader? Who knows. That's something only the players and management know. 

Now that Petey has signed, Hronek is the #1 priority. Anything south of $8M is a fair deal. Would love to see $7M X 8 years. Thats probably a pipe dream though. 

• MillerTime 1

6 hours ago, Coryberg said:

I would say that Toews is the better Dman but not substantially. As for 50+ point seasons Hronek was on pace for 52 points last season and this season is on pace for 52 points. 

Hronek is 4 years younger and will be signed through his peak/plateau where as toews deal will take him to age 37. Let's not discount the fact that Hronek is a right handed D and Toews is left handed, supply and demand.

I would be elated to get Hronek signed to the same contract as toews. That would be a home run.

Yes, I realize I got the age mixed up, but that doesn't really matter imo, toews is probably the best comparable as that poster pointed out.

On pace doesn't matter, it's what you actually do that matters and hronek hasn't actually done much up to this year and getting paired with Hughes.  If I'm PA, and see Toews is getting $7.25, my number starts with a 6 and I take my chance with arbitration.  

In no way has hronek earned a long term contract at anything over $7m, imo

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

you're right on the age part, I was looking at someone else.  Doesn't change the comparable though, everything else is the same.  Rhd makes no difference 

And the age probably makes more of a difference in term than AAV. Hronek will almost certainly get that 8th year.

IMO, it likely ends up around the same AAV, in that $7-$7.5 range. Hronek is a bit better offensively and more physical. Toews is the better defenseman, shinier advanced stats. If they were the same age, Toews probably gets a few hundred K extra and the 8th year as well. Hronek being younger bumps up his AAV a few hundred K as we'll get more of his prime under rising cap.

Should be fairly close once all the negotiating is done. Just like with the Petey contract, you guys are fretting too much... But it's a discussion board, so carry on 🤣

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Totally agree with this. 

I do think Hronek does have a pretty solid physical game, makes big hits. He can also fill in as chief puck mover and PP1 point shot in the event that Hughes (knock on wood) ever gets hurt. As far as being a leader? Who knows. That's something only the players and management know. 

Now that Petey has signed, Hronek is the #1 priority. Anything south of $8M is a fair deal. Would love to see $7M X 8 years. Thats probably a pipe dream though. 

I don't see FH as a good pp QB, his stick work is actually not all that great.  

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

And the age probably makes more of a difference in term than AAV. Hronek will almost certainly get that 8th year.

IMO, it likely ends up around the same AAV, in that $7-$7.5 range. Hronek is a bit better offensively and more physical. Toews is the better defenseman, shinier advanced stats. If they were the same age, Toews probably gets a few hundred K extra and the 8th year as well. Hronek being younger bumps up his AAV a few hundred K as we'll get more of his prime under rising cap.

Should be fairly close once all the negotiating is done. Just like with the Petey contract, you guys are getting too much... But it's a discussion board, do carry on 🤣

I always do, I've got nothing else going on .

😉

10 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Totally agree with this. 

He's certainly not one dimensional. I joke about flipping him just to stir the pot, but I'd love to see him locked up long term.

Edited by Bob Long

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see FH as a good pp QB, his stick work is actually not all that great.  

Oh i agree. I'd see him more as just a point threat in the interim. He's no Quinn, but really who is? Makar and Bouchard?

Petey would QB the power play with Hronek just being a lethal point threat that could still defend. All forward Powerplays scare me. lol. 

33 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He's certainly not one dimensional. I joke about flipping him just to stir the pot, but I'd love to see him locked up long term.

LOL love it. Stir that pot!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

To be clear, I do as well, just at a number that makes sense and that he's earned

• ThereItIs 1

Lots of good points brought up...and some amusing ones.

I would love to see him locked up long term as well, I feel it should be in the $7 - $7.5 million range but that's JMO.

He is not perfect, he and Hughes are better together than apart.... but I also feel he is replaceable.

His value is sky high right now and the team should be able to recoup a nice haul in trade.

We could land a good young RHD with upside in the package along with other picks or prospects.

We could then use Hronek's $4.4 million on someone like Tanev on a short term deal (2 years or so) while 

we wait for Willander and the new young RHD or prospect to develop. The money we save by not signing Hronek could go

towards resigning some of our other key players. 

While I want Hronek in our lineup, at a certain price ($8+ million) I feel there's other options available to us.

Sometimes you have to take a step back before you can move two steps forward. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Blitz-Pix said:

His value is sky high right now and the team should be able to recoup a nice haul in trade.

We could land a good young RHD with upside in the package along with other picks or prospects.

Axel Sandin Pelikka? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

If I'm PA, and see Toews is getting $7.25, my number starts with a 6 and I take my chance with arbitration.  

Not only could an arbitration hearing be harmful to the player/team relationship as far as negative talk but it would also result in him being walked into free agency. After you accept the decision you can no longer trade him either. At that point your hands are absolutely tied and you will have 2 choices... pay him whatever he wants or lose him for nothing.

I would rather pay him market value now than try to pinch a penny for 1 season resulting in a less favorable position. To kick the can down the road and into a corner would be financially irresponsible, especially seeing as it would coincide with the OEL penalty apex.

Axel Sandin Pelikka? 

Haha...Wouldn't that be funny? 

I don't like him as much as others do...JMO but feel he's a little over rated/hyped.

I was thinking someone a little further along in their development though.

Edited by Blitz-Pix

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How Quinn Hughes feels about Hronek might make a difference? Using the CAP wisely where needed is an issue the core might have opinions on.

Exactly this. It will make a difference and Hughes will have an opinion and influence on it. Said this yesterday.

You don't just destroy a contending caliber duo after you finally have one in place and then piss off your star defenseman by going back to square one, forcing him to work harder and carry more load than he should, giving him less freedom and mobility. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Axel Sandin Pelikka? 

If I could pick.... I'd be all over David Jiricek from Columbus.  20 Year Old RHD that's 6'4 on the cusp of making the NHL

Not sure if there's any issues with him though.

Not sure why CBJ does it unless they were trying to get better right now.

We have seen them GO FOR IT with signings in the past though. 

8 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

If I could pick.... I'd be all over David Jiricek from Columbus.  20 Year Old RHD that's 6'4 on the cusp of making the NHL

Not sure if there's any issues with him though.

Not sure why CBJ does it unless they were trying to get better right now.

We have seen them GO FOR IT with signings in the past though. 

They'd definitely have to identify a team that needs to start winning, which is why I thought the habs would be a good partner that way.  Buffalo?  New Jersey?

• Like 1