[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep. Not sure why that's controversial.

Me either, but I'm definitely confused and concerned of reports and rumors coming out of his camp that start with 8.  That's crazy to me

• Vintage 1

Hey guys just curious

But I listen to quite a bit of pre and post game interviews and guys like JT, EP, Brock, Garland, Joshua, Blueger, Suter, hoggy, Quinn, zad, Myers, Cole, Soucy, Juulsen, Casey, Demko are all often brought up by the coach / teammates and get compliments.

To tell you the truth I never once have heard a canuck or coach talk about Hronek. What do you guys think?

Maybe writing is on the wall and maybe he hasn't fit in the room that well?

Just now, stawns said:

Me either, but I'm definitely confused and concerned of reports and rumors coming out of his camp that start with 8.  That's crazy to me

I would need to see the charting out of cap increases, etc. and how that fits in, but yeah that seems like a big number to me too. 

60 million total over 8 years with lots of bonus money would seem to me like a fair deal all around. Who's going to pay more? Heading into the playoffs with all the injury potential I would think he's lock that down. 

I'm not a big fan of flipping a guy when other GMs know a deal can't be reached, but whatever. If thats where it goes so be it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this. It will make a difference and Hughes will have an opinion and influence on it. Said this yesterday.

You don't just destroy a contending caliber duo after you finally have one in place and then piss off your star defenseman by going back to square one, forcing him to work harder and carry more load than he should, giving him less freedom and mobility. 

We see the obvious stuff on the ice. We don’t know how these players gell off ice. As fans we speculate. What Hronek gets will likely result from Cup play just like the other UFA’s.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

We see the obvious stuff on the ice. We don’t know how these players gell off ice. As fans we speculate. What Hronek gets will likely result from Cup play just like the other UFA’s.

There are no indicators Hughes and Hronek don't gel off the ice. I'd suggest it's the opposite. What Hronek gets will keep a contending caliber duo intact. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Haha...Wouldn't that be funny? 

I don't like him as much as others do...JMO but feel he's a little over rated/hyped.

I was thinking someone a little further along in their development though.

I know I was just light trollin.

I wonder if Buffalo would be interested Hronek could pair up nicely with Power/Dahlin

Something like Jokiharju's rights and 1st top 7 protected or Buff has the option to push to next year unprotected? Buffalo always finds a way to fail. An unprotected 1st next year could be a spicy meatball. 

1 minute ago, PeteyBOI said:

I would go as high as 7.8m as well... hope fully we can get him for 7.25 like dunn, like toews... but the cap is also going up 5%... so he may demand more

I originally had Hronek pegged at $8M AAV using Dunn as comparable and accounting for a rising cap, the RHD premium, but lower production.  Since then, Hronek's production has dipped a bit the past month, and so I've got him at $7.75M.  With a small discount to remain with Hughes and a contender, I have him coming in at $7.6M x 8 = $60.8M. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Axel Sandin Pelikka? 

You joke... But that would mean we rented Hronek for a full season at a crazy low cap hit for only a 2nd round pick (and got a 4th back too)

Edited by Coryberg
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

They'd definitely have to identify a team that needs to start winning, which is why I thought the habs would be a good partner that way.  Buffalo?  New Jersey?

And a team that has room for an $8 miilion (or more) contract....I'm looking at you Chicago. LOL 

11 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I know I was just light trollin.

I wonder if Buffalo would be interested Hronek could pair up nicely with Power/Dahlin

Something like Jokiharju's rights and 1st top 7 protected or Buff has the option to push to next year unprotected? Buffalo always finds a way to fail. An unprotected 1st next year could be a spicy meatball. 

Can you imagine that blueline?.... Dahlin, Power, Byram & Hronek?

Scary to think what that team could accomplish in a couple years if/when they put it all together

Honestly don't know how you could keep them all though, it would be like the Leafs core 4... but on defence. LOL  

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you Ideally want a certain number you start with a higher one. Negotiations are about give and take so you ask for more at the onset. Nothing to be concerned about.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

If you Ideally want a certain number you start with a higher one. Negotiations are about give and take so you ask for more at the onset. Nothing to be concerned about.

Disagree when the GM gives you a very fair offer and your agents laughs it off publicallly

52 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

If I could pick.... I'd be all over David Jiricek from Columbus.  20 Year Old RHD that's 6'4 on the cusp of making the NHL

Not sure if there's any issues with him though.

Not sure why CBJ does it unless they were trying to get better right now.

We have seen them GO FOR IT with signings in the past though. 

I started there with my thought process too. I don't know what direction CBJ is headed and I'm not sure about Jiricek anymore it seems he's completely gone away from what got him drafted. 

22 hits, weak ass ticky taky stick infraction penalties, 4.4 shot blocks per 60, he's not shooting either. This is not the player I watched in HC Plzen who hit agressively, pinched recklessly a la early Bieksa, blocked shots fearlessly and had an absolute cannon of his own. Maybe CBJ broke him? Maybe Foote/Gonch could fix him? I might be more inclined to swap Hronek for Silayev if he's there at their pick. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

I would go as high as 7.8m as well... hope fully we can get him for 7.25 like dunn, like toews... but the cap is also going up 5%... so he may demand more

The thing is it's not as if there are many other options either via UFA or trade. Hronek can set his price it's up to MGMT to decide to meet it or downgrade. 

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And people were concerned about Miller's "demands" and Petey's "demands" and... on and on and on re: their initial figures/asks as well. In reality, they all signed for lower, more realistic dollars somewhere south of the high figures floated by agents and regurgitated ad nauseum by Dhaliwal, and then the rest of the talking heads.

It's all part of negotiations. Agent starts at $8 something, team starts at high $6 something, they eventually meet in the middle (likely low-mid $7s) after dithering over bonus structures, trade clauses etc 🥱

One thing I'm more wary of than dithering over a few 100k and bonus structures is term and clauses. Teams get stale over time locking everyone up for 8 years with nmc/ntc's may not be wise. We saw all of the trade clauses Gillis hand out made manuvering and tooling the roster difficult down the line. 

PA may want to GM a little bit?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Disagree when the GM gives you a very fair offer and your agents laughs it off publicallly

Very fair to who? Vancouver has obviously laughed off hronek's agents ask as well. The good news is they are both smiling 

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And people were concerned about Miller's "demands" and Petey's "demands" and... on and on and on re: their initial figures/asks as well. In reality, they all signed for lower, more realistic dollars somewhere south of the high figures floated by agents and regurgitated ad nauseum by Dhaliwal, and then the rest of the talking heads.

It's all part of negotiations. Agent starts at $8 something, team starts at high $6 something, they eventually meet in the middle (likely low-mid $7s) after dithering over bonus structures, trade clauses etc 🥱

Such an obvious process eludes people sometimes.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, bh90 said:

Hey guys just curious

But I listen to quite a bit of pre and post game interviews and guys like JT, EP, Brock, Garland, Joshua, Blueger, Suter, hoggy, Quinn, zad, Myers, Cole, Soucy, Juulsen, Casey, Demko are all often brought up by the coach / teammates and get compliments.

To tell you the truth I never once have heard a canuck or coach talk about Hronek. What do you guys think?

Maybe writing is on the wall and maybe he hasn't fit in the room that well?

That’s actually a really good point 

I agree I rarely hear his name in player interviews 

maybe Hronek is kinda prima Donna type, or maybe he’s just really quiet ?

coaxhes don’t bring him up a lot 

but he plays a lot of important minutes 

If you want 8+ you gotta be a driver of offense and have double digit goal totals. Hronek currently has 5 goals. That’s not enough to be paid like an elite D man.

7.25 on a 6 or 7 is the most Id be comfortable seeing the team pay.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

18 hours ago, Hammertime said:

One thing I'm more wary of than dithering over a few 100k and bonus structures is term and clauses. Teams get stale over time locking everyone up for 8 years with nmc/ntc's may not be wise. We saw all of the trade clauses Gillis hand out made manuvering and tooling the roster difficult down the line. 

PA may want to GM a little bit?

Not sure the NTCs are that big a deal, usually when teams go south players are happy to waive.