[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

36 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

If Mgmt can get two young pieces and perhaps a draft pick for Hronek, are they not better spreading the wealth on shorter term contracts while they wait for prospects to begin taking NHL spots? Hronek has been great with Hughes but at $7M plus he should really be driving his own pair and that does not appear to be a slam dunk.

xx Miller Boeser ($19.65M)

xx EP Hogs ($17.7M)

Garland Blueger DJ ($10.45)

Bains Suter Podz ($3.35M)

Hughes Tanev ($12.35M)

Soucy Myers ($7M)

Big Z Juulsen ($5.525M)

Demko ($5M)

DeSmith ($2M)

OEL ($2.35M)

Total = $85.375M (some space remaining for the three players not dressing)

Sign two top six wingers in the $5M range or less (easiest position to find value in UFA)

Sign Tanev ($4.5M x 3)

Trade Mik

Resign Bluegar ($2.5 x 2 / 3), DJ ($3M x 3 / 4), Myers ($3.75M x 2), Big Z ($4.75M x 4 / 5), and DeSmith ($2M x 2)

Keep building up a pipeline of young players that can grow into the lineup to support the core over the next four years

I like that.  I'd change it up though and add Roy instead of Tanev, even if we have to overpay.  I would see if Dallas is interested in Hronek as they need RHD as a few of them are UFA's including Tanev.  They could play Hronek with Heiskanen as their top pairing.  I'd do Hronek for Mason Marchment and a pick and then slot Marchment in one of those 2 LW spots you have open.  I'm hoping that Lekkerimaki can take the other spot.  The numbers would work as Marchment is at $4.5 million so we could even give Roy up to $6 million.

• Cheers 3

trade Hronek for our best return. 
he can’t make more than or even on par with QH. If he rejected 6.5 x 8 then he’s overvaluing himself to this club in that he hasn’t yet proved he can anchor a second line. He’s a benefactor of his current linemate, a good Dman, but not for that price point. 
If we can move Hronek for a good top 6 young F and save cap space, I think we could redistribute those cap savings into  extending more of the current team and also maybe seeing some players move up the line like Zadorov in a #4 spot next season if resigned. If we’re sinking 8 mill into a player it should be a top 6 scoring F. We can value add on D perhaps in UFA with a guy like Pesce or similar who can play 1B to QH and for less than Hronek’s alleged self-valuation of $ and term. 

If we move him I’d like to see us pursue a Luke Evangelista or Jake Neighbours level type player in return 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I like that.  I'd change it up though and add Roy instead of Tanev, even if we have to overpay.  I would see if Dallas is interested in Hronek as they need RHD as a few of them are UFA's including Tanev.  They could play Hronek with Heiskanen as their top pairing.  I'd do Hronek for Mason Marchment and a pick and then slot Marchment in one of those 2 LW spots you have open.  I'm hoping that Lekkerimaki can take the other spot.  The numbers would work as Marchment is at $4.5 million so we could even give Roy up to $6 million.

No issues with that, looks good (although sending Hronek to Dallas would be interesting).

Only difference for me would be to slow play Lek, he is too important and still super young. Wouldn't want to push him too quickly and stunt his development and/or get him hurt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

If Mgmt can get two young pieces and perhaps a draft pick for Hronek, are they not better spreading the wealth on shorter term contracts while they wait for prospects to begin taking NHL spots? Hronek has been great with Hughes but at $7M plus he should really be driving his own pair and that does not appear to be a slam dunk.

xx EP Hogs ($17.7M)

Hughes Tanev ($12.35M)

Soucy Myers ($7M)

Big Z Juulsen ($5.525M)

Demko ($5M)

DeSmith ($2M)

OEL ($2.35M)

Sign two top six wingers in the $5M range or less (easiest position to find value in UFA)

Sign Tanev ($4.5M x 3)

Trade Mik

Resign Bluegar ($2.5 x 2 / 3), DJ ($3M x 3 / 4), Myers ($3.75M x 2), Big Z ($4.75M x 4 / 5), and DeSmith ($2M x 2)

Keep building up a pipeline of young players that can grow into the lineup to support the core over the next four years

So we have 2 injury prone defenceman in the top 4. I don’t care if tanev have been relatively healthy in Calgary.. he’s only getting older and plays a style that will be more prone to injury than other.. than soucy who can’t stay healthy.. and then continue to play myer in a top 4.. and there’s literally no good legit top 6 available in the ufa for under 5 mil.. that’s a lineup that’s going to be fighting for a wc and if either tanev or soucy is injured prolly won’t even make the playoff and both we’d be lottery bound 

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

So we have 2 injury prone defenceman in the top 4. I don’t care if tanev have been relatively healthy in Calgary.. he’s only getting older and plays a style that will be more prone to injury than other.. than soucy who can’t stay healthy.. and then continue to play myer in a top 4.. and there’s literally no good legit top 6 available in the ufa for under 5 mil.. that’s a lineup that’s going to be fighting for a wc and if either tanev or soucy is injured prolly won’t even make the playoff and both we’d be lottery bound 

Cool story bro!

• Wiener 1

18 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

xx EP Hogs ($17.7M)

Hughes Tanev ($12.35M)

Soucy Myers ($7M)

Big Z Juulsen ($5.525M)

Demko ($5M)

DeSmith ($2M)

OEL ($2.35M)

Sign Tanev ($4.5M x 3)

Trade Mik

So Hronek isn’t worth $7’ish mil but he’s worth 2 young players and maybe a pick?  Ok.

Who are these 2 x top 6 LW that are getting paid $5m or less as UFA’s?  Look at the available UFA and list a few that aren’t washed up and are still going to produce on a competitive team.

That defence will require some solid depth as you can pretty much guarantee Tanev, Soucy, and Myers are going to miss games.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, RWJC said:

he can’t make more than or even on par with QH.

Why? Cap has changed, different points in their career when signing etc etc. I don’t understand the ‘can’t make more than so and so’ when nhl contracts are so fluid. 

That being said, 7.8 right now is probably as high as Hronek should get. I think he’ll come in a bit lower. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dizzle said:

Why? Cap has changed, different points in their career when signing etc etc. I don’t understand the ‘can’t make more than so and so’ when nhl contracts are so fluid. 

That being said, 7.8 right now is probably as high as Hronek should get. I think he’ll come in a bit lower. 

7.5x5 would be fair to both parties, IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Dizzle said:

He shouldn’t make as much as QH because he’s not even 80% the same player nor does he offer the value that you should be receiving from a player of that cap hit. I understand cap has changed and FH can make 7.5-8 somewhere perhaps, but we have to balance spending on D considering how many holes we might have to fill and we don’t need a player making more than QH when QH is the one driving both the pairing and the stat line of his linemate. Nonsensical, even if there is chemistry present.

To me it has to do with output and an internal salary structure you follow with your roster. 
I still think FH may have potential for more, and because he does gel with QH, I’d offer 7 max and that’s it. Anything more and we can use those $ to accommodate another definite top 3-4 Dman and maybe even have some left over for a 5/6 if need be. 
QH alone can elevate a 3-4Dman to top pairing. We also have some solid D prospects that 3 years into a FH extension may be battling for roster spots. I don’t want to be paying FH 1st line D money for 8 years when he may potentially lose that gig less than halfway into his contract. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, fanofvan said:

So Hronek isn’t worth $7’ish mil but he’s worth 2 young players and maybe a pick?  Ok.

Who are these 2 x top 6 LW that are getting paid $5m or less as UFA’s?  Look at the available UFA and list a few that aren’t washed up and are still going to produce on a competitive team.

That defence will require some solid depth as you can pretty much guarantee Tanev, Soucy, and Myers are going to miss games.

Haha love when people respond to hypothetical posts like this. Lots of ifs, why the post started with if. What can mgmt get for Hronek of his price goes too high, which UFAs are available, which prospects are ready to step up. Mgmt has showm am ability to be creative. Lots of routes to go, relax haha

2 minutes ago, Combover said:

7x7 or traded.

He’s a good DMan but he isn’t caring anything on his own. 

Yup. The value we’d get back in trade would be really good. Willander is close. Juulsson is a player. Sign Myers for 3.5 per. 

• Like 1

I like how some people are acting like Hronek is expendable.

The major difference between this year and last is Hronek.

Last year we were atrocious and this year we’re pushing for President’s Trophy. Pay Hronek whatever he wants. He’s a solid partner for Hughes, great defensively, a PP option, and a massive shot. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, KesLord said:

Last year we were atrocious and this year we’re pushing for President’s Trophy. Pay Hronek whatever he wants. He’s a solid partner for Hughes, great defensively, a PP option, and a massive shot. 

He isn’t expendable but he also has to be within price range or we risk F’ing with roster depth and balance. Doesn’t matter if he and Huggy are good together if we have a shit bottom 4 D support staff, does it?

33 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I’ve been underwhelmed with his play in the second half of the season. I think we should move him in the offseason. I’d rather sign Z long term. 

I posted this previously but they really should give him the 2nd D line to command on his own for a few of the remaining games. Get an idea of what he can show in that capacity.

Hughes is elite and his trajectory has always been independent of whom he’s paired with. We know what QH is without Hronek. What is Hronek without QH? That needs to be confirmed before giving him big dollars - which I’m not opposed to if he excels on his own. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I posted this previously but they really should give him the 2nd D line to command on his own for a few of the remaining games. Get an idea of what he can show in that capacity.

Hughes is elite and his trajectory has always been independent of whom he’s paired with. We know what QH is without Hronek. What is Hronek without QH? That needs to be confirmed before giving him big dollars - which I’m not opposed to if he excels on his own. 

Maybe he can handle it. I don’t know. I’m uncomfortable with giving him the big dollars though. It’s a lot of money to anchor the 2nd pairing. We will have serious cap issues if we do, even if we let Myers and Cole walk. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Absolutely agree to this.....I hope Hronek stays, but at what cost?  There are a number of players I'd like to keep on this team, so overpaying is not something they can do.  Which leaves me to a point that won't win much support here......they already overpaid for EP, so the others now have to get to the back of the line.  That cap can't go up quick enough.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, KesLord said:

Hronek has been very good for us most of this season, he compliments Hughes game really well. 

However...to suggest the major difference between last season and this season is due to Hronek is laughable. 

The whole backend was revamped in the offseason and in season....besides Hughes & Myers. 

I think Cole, Soucy, Zadorov, Juulsen and Friedman deserve  ALOT more credit than your giving them. A mostly healthy Demko has also helped.

You can't pay Hronek whatever he wants if it comes at the expense of the rest of the roster.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3