[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This makes no sense.   Alf brings this up from time to time and just shake my head.   All these guys get paid in US dollars and they all get to enjoy the lifestyles that come with this sort of money.   VAN 53% tax plus a bit bracket,  Dallas 36.6%.    What is cheaper in VAN?   Luxury cars aren't cheaper.   Houses aren't cheaper.   Food meh.   These guys aren't worrying about that and even there, it's relatively expensive compared to a lot of US cities once the exchange is paid.    What matters is take home pay.    And take him in Vancouver is the worst in the league, with Toronto, Ottawa and MTL.    Not by a little bit either.   The median is low 40's.   It's part of the reason why EPs salary isn't under 11. 

The Empties have spoken on this matter. Add 30% to the players’ money who play and live up here. Plus they don’t get shot at or have to put up with the MAGA morans, unless they’re on an Alberta team, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Empties have spoken on this matter. Add 30% to the players’ money who play and live up here. Plus they don’t get shot at or have to put up with the MAGA morans, unless they’re on an Alberta team, of course. 

It's a decent point Alf.  

There has been a lot going on in the US. For some players (or just people in general) it does not and will not matter.  For others, it is definitely preferable to live in Canada and it's worth it to sacrifice a bit monetarily.  It would be fun to be a fly on the wall and hear how agents/GMs navigate that issue (when it comes up) in negotiations.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing a $7m+ defenseman when I watch him away from Hughes, I think even the $6.5m they offered him was very very fair 

true story, he has been very unimpressive last 40 games , that penalty shot ooooofff yuck 

48 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

true story, he has been very unimpressive last 40 games , that penalty shot ooooofff yuck 

Hrs a great partner for Hughes, no doubt, but apart from that, hrs just a very solid defenceman.  Breaking the bank for him means having to other significant players walk and will hinder their ability to accumulate depth in the next couple critical years.

They are overpaying one player (granted he is actually elite), they can't afford to overpay another and expect to remain on an upward trajectory, imo 

16 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing a $7m+ defenseman when I watch him away from Hughes, I think even the $6.5m they offered him was very very fair 

I think some fans, and even some media, have been overvaluing Hronek because he's the first true top 4 RHD we've had in quite a while. But that doesn't mean he isn't replaceable.

Don't get me wrong, my preference would be to re-sign Hronek. However if the options are overpay or trade, than I vote trade as I think this is an unusual year where there are a number of top 4 RHD potentially available for less.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think some fans, and even some media, have been overvaluing Hronek because he's the first true top 4 RHD we've had in quite a while. But that doesn't mean he isn't replaceable.

Don't get me wrong, my preference would be to re-sign Hronek. However if the options are overpay or trade, than I vote trade as I think this is an unusual year where there are a number of top 4 RHD potentially available for less.

Mine too, I was a big proponent of the deal when it happened and like his game very much.  But PA needs to put depth before individuals in this case.  He broke the bank for Petey, he can't do it for Hronek, imo.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Mine too, I was a big proponent of the deal when it happened and like his game very much.  But PA needs to put depth before individuals in this case.  He broke the bank for Petey, he can't do it for Hronek, imo.

This was always going to be the issue... 

Hronek will play ball or be history... there is a limit (which only management knows, what is) to how high they can go on players, if they still want to be relevant in 2 years time... economics... in saying this, they didn't pay well for player only to ship him out...Good RHDs is hard to come by and they are premium...

46 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I don't like the $8M+ idea but having a steady, long-term partner for QH makes a lot of sense. Hopefully there is a $7.8M or less deal that both sides can agree on.

I HIGHLY doubt it's $8M+.  I believe that's just Hronek's side setting a starting point in negotiations so there's room to actually... you know... NEGOTIATE.

It will very likely come in at $7.xx AAV.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I HIGHLY doubt it's $8M+.  I believe that's just Hronek's side setting a starting point in negotiations so there's room to actually... you know... NEGOTIATE.

It will very likely come in at $7.xx AAV.

7.5-7.75 is probably the sweet spot imo if they want him on a 7-8 year deal 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I agree.  Hence why my personal guess is $7.6M AAV.

That'll probably end up being pretty close 

We keep going around and around on what the AAV will be, but odds are both sides likely have an idea of what the compromise range is. The curveballs we don't know much about probably involve term and clauses, both of which could affect the AAV.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

Hronek will be 27 in November, and 8 year deal would take him to  35, which isn't terrible. But it may be wise to assume the Canucks may not want his deal going to 35, they may prefer a 6-7 year deal that'd take him to 33-34. This would of course bump up what Hronek would ask for each year. 

The only reason 8m is even being talked about is because of his first 35 games and the medias complete lack of ability to change their own narrative once they get it going. It's why so many of them still consider Mackinnon a lock for Hart even though he is in the 3-5 range for me and Kucherov is miles ahead. Hronek is a 7-7.5 million player top. If his season was reversed, they would be talking about him being a 6.5 million dollar defenseman.

47 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

The only reason 8m is even being talked about is because of his first 35 games and the medias complete lack of ability to change their own narrative once they get it going. It's why so many of them still consider Mackinnon a lock for Hart even though he is in the 3-5 range for me and Kucherov is miles ahead. Hronek is a 7-7.5 million player top. If his season was reversed, they would be talking about him being a 6.5 million dollar defenseman.

Hronek is Devon Toews. 

I see a very similar range on a deal to what Hanifin signed if he wants to stay in Vancouver.  He has not been as effective in the last 30...ish games as he was earlier in the season, he hasn't shown that he can be that guy he was in the first 30 games for a full season.

I think I would probably do 7 per x 8 years if we are locking him up long term. I'm going a little higher than I probably would if he was an LD. At LD, I probably top out at 6.5 million.

We have some control on negotiations in that he's a RFA, but I think he has arbitration rights. I could see management pitch a shorter term, 7 million x 4 years allowing him to cash in bigger in a few years if he can show that he can put a whole season together.

On 4/10/2024 at 7:44 PM, stawns said:

I don’t see how he’s not worth 7 based on what hanifin just signed. Those guys are incredibly comparable. Obviously they have their differences but the value is there. I do have a feeling he may end up resigning something around 6.8 but that’s just a feeling. 

7 hours ago, Tower102 said:

lol mackinnon in the 3-5 range for hart.. colorado is nothing without mackinnon... they lost nichuskin for chunks of the year.. makar isn't up to his previous godlike years.. their goalie is a sieve..  tampa bay is still tampa bay with stamkos vasilevski point hedman sergachev

1 hour ago, Dizzle said:

I don’t see how he’s not worth 7 based on what hanifin just signed. Those guys are incredibly comparable. Obviously they have their differences but the value is there. I do have a feeling he may end up resigning something around 6.8 but that’s just a feeling. 

I'll take Hanifan over Hronek every time, but they are decent comparables, I agree.  However, in that context, hanifan has made his bones on his own merit much more than Hronek.  He's never had the privilege of travelling in a superstars wake the way hronek has, so we have a truer sense of what NH really brings.  We're talking about giving hronek a career defining contract based on one year of playing with Quinn Hughes, who is having a historic year.

I'm sorry, that's crazy

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1