[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

What a mess

image.png.b6c4a98f5b0b8ef8a594a477e08ac07a.png

I wonder if some of this is Hughes carrying the puck out so much, it's not like anyone paired with Hughes is going to have the puck much on exits.

His passing is elite.

• Cheers 2
  • MillerTime 1

37 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if some of this is Hughes carrying the puck out so much, it's not like anyone paired with Hughes is going to have the puck much on exits.

His passing is elite.

It's his exit/entry success rate, along with denial success rate.  Nobody's gonna have a high entry/exit rate when you're playing alongside Quinn Hughes.  But when Hronek does make the play, it seems like he's not pulling it off successfully.  More importantly, he isn't stuffing attackers on rushes.  That's something Quinn Hughes is really good at - breaking up transition plays.  Now, Hronek is far better than Hughes in clearing traffic when the opponents have O-zone pressure.  He's also worked on passing the puck up (compared to his time in Detroit where he primarily carried it through the zones).

But that shot.  I know some people here love his clappers but has it ever resulted in a quality scoring chance?  It either goes wide or gets blocked most of the time.  If it does get through, there's no tip so it's fairly easy for goaltenders to stop it.  Even a guy like Tyler Myers has better shooting because at least he never tries to go for a big clapper.  The slap shot is a dying art and Hronek is doing it NO favours by constantly trying to force it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

It's his exit/entry success rate, along with denial success rate.  Nobody's gonna have a high entry/exit rate when you're playing alongside Quinn Hughes.  But when Hronek does make the play, it seems like he's not pulling it off successfully.  More importantly, he isn't stuffing attackers on rushes.  That's something Quinn Hughes is really good at - breaking up transition plays.  Now, Hronek is far better than Hughes in clearing traffic when the opponents have O-zone pressure.  He's also worked on passing the puck up (compared to his time in Detroit where he primarily carried it through the zones).

Are there any actual numbers to these? Percentage can be misleading. How many chances are we actually talking about?

Just now, Miss Korea said:

But that shot.  I know some people here love his clappers but has it ever resulted in a quality scoring chance?  It either goes wide or gets blocked most of the time.  If it does get through, there's no tip so it's fairly easy for goaltenders to stop it.  Even a guy like Tyler Myers has better shooting because at least he never tries to go for a big clapper.  The slap shot is a dying art and Hronek is doing it NO favours by constantly trying to force it.

Myers does not have a better shot. 

41 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Are there any actual numbers to these? Percentage can be misleading. How many chances are we actually talking about?

Myers does not have a better shot. 

I can try to crunch the numbers on Natural Stat Trick - that'll give you a better idea of shot% versus scoring chances.  Unfortunately I'll be away for a couple weeks, so no more analytics dweeb shit from me.

Myers doesn't have a better shot but he's a better shooter.  A more extreme example would be... Auston Matthews.  Hronek has a better slap shot than Matthews.  But who is the better shooter, with the better shot selection? 

Tyler Myers typically fires wristers from the blueline with the intention of getting a player to tip the puck.  Occasionally it works and it goes in.  On the rare occasion, it even goes straight through traffic and he gets the goal himself.  Hronek?  He just fires a prayer and hopes something will happen.  He keeps trying to make the slap shot work, and it's driving me absolutely bonkers.

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek was on pace for 52 points playing in Detroit.  He had 48 points playing with Hughes.  So, how exactly did Hughes prop up Hronek?

Some may think Hughes detracts from Hronek's stats as he plays so dang much.  Hronek could hold his own as a PP1 QB on most NHL teams.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I can try to crunch the numbers on Natural Stat Trick - that'll give you a better idea of shot% versus scoring chances.  Unfortunately I'll be away for a couple weeks, so no more analytics dweeb shit from me.

Myers doesn't have a better shot but he's a better shooter.  A more extreme example would be... Auston Matthews.  Hronek has a better slap shot than Matthews.  But who is the better shooter, with the better shot selection? 

Tyler Myers typically fires wristers from the blueline with the intention of getting a player to tip the puck.  Occasionally it works and it goes in.  On the rare occasion, it even goes straight through traffic and he gets the goal himself.  Hronek?  He just fires a prayer and hopes something will happen.  He keeps trying to make the slap shot work, and it's driving me absolutely bonkers.

We can save a Myers vs Hronek battle for free agency 😄

We aren’t going to get 7 mill worth of D play from Hronny

i would trade him 

Hughes can work just as well with tanev 

tanev 4 mill

zads 4.5

Cole - give term and low AAV need his leadership 

we have D Petey and Wallinder in next 2 yrs 

we need a winger who can snipe 

JR PA were bang in when they were worried about lack of a sniper 

• Like 1
  • chaos 1

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek was on pace for 52 points playing in Detroit.  He had 48 points playing with Hughes.  So, how exactly did Hughes prop up Hronek?

How do the underlying metrics compare between this year and in Detroit? Don't actually know, legit asking.

I am fairly certain Hronek's analytics drop off significantly when not paired with QH this year. Meanwhile QH does not see any drop without Hronek.

End of the day, I don't care what they sign or don't sign him for as long as the team is a cup contender! 

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek was on pace for 80-ish points earlier, then went ice cold. Maybe he’s a first half player, and it wasn’t known from the injury in Detroit?

On 4/24/2024 at 1:53 PM, canucks curse said:

We aren’t going to get 7 mill worth of D play from Hronny

i would trade him 

Hughes can work just as well with tanev 

tanev 4 mill

zads 4.5

Cole - give term and low AAV need his leadership 

we have D Petey and Wallinder in next 2 yrs 

we need a winger who can snipe 

JR PA were bang in when they were worried about lack of a sniper 

Trade to SJS for PIT 1st and NJD 2nd- that's essentially exactly what we paid for him.

Alternatively could try OTT for Pinto and Zub

something like

To OTT

Hronek

Karlsson

Aman

To VAN

Pinto

Zub

sign Tanev, Zads, Cole

Hughes Tanev

Zads Zub

Soucy Cole

Juulsen, D Petey

Willander in 2025 

tbh guys like Cole, Zads, Myers outplaying Hronek but horned has been very very steady/solid... but do you pay a guy 7.5-8 for being solid with Hughes ???

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

Trade to SJS for PIT 1st and NJD 2nd- that's essentially exactly what we paid for him.

Alternatively could try OTT for Pinto and Zub

something like

To OTT

Hronek

Karlsson

Aman

To VAN

Pinto

Zub

sign Tanev, Zads, Cole

Hughes Tanev

Zads Zub

Soucy Cole

Juulsen, D Petey

Willander in 2025 

tbh guys like Cole, Zads, Myers outplaying Hronek but horned has been very very steady/solid... but do you pay a guy 7.5-8 for being solid with Hughes ???

SJS is rebuilding.  They would be acquiring draft picks rather than trading for players.

Maybe a team like PHI would like Hronek.  Or the new Salt Lake City team wants immediate success to get into the playoffs.

50 minutes ago, BPA said:

SJS is rebuilding.  They would be acquiring draft picks rather than trading for players.

Maybe a team like PHI would like Hronek.  Or the new Salt Lake City team wants immediate success to get into the playoffs.

I was a fan of Hronek at the start of the season but as it went along he’s lost all his jam. To me he looks tired and weak out there.

I was big time wanting to resign him but now i’d rather flip him, sell high and get a more defensive minded D to settle in with Hughes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I was a fan of Hronek at the start of the season but as it went along he’s lost all his jam. To me he looks tired and weak out there.

I was big time wanting to resign him but now i’d rather flip him, sell high and get a more defensive minded D to settle in with Hughes.

It would be different if he was able to carry a defensive pairing but Canucks tried that and it didn’t work out quite well. I’d be OK with $6.5-$7M x 6-8yrs.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

It would be different if he was able to carry a defensive pairing but Canucks tried that and it didn’t work out quite well. I’d be OK with $6.5-$7M x 6-8yrs.

I think that’s a fair price.

But I do wonder if it’s kinda wasted money resigning him. He will never get top PP time. The 2nd PP barely gets a sniff. I’d like to see Hughes have a tougher partner…at least a stop gap till Willander is ready. Larssen, Tanev, Pesce kinda guys.

Who knows tho he may take an affordable contract. He’s been great with Hughes for the most part. And is a good option for PP deployment if god forbid Hughes gets injured 

19 minutes ago, BPA said:

This is likely what PA offered. If Hronek is only after money, like Horfat Wallet, then we will trade him for a huge haul. 

Hronek brings stability and is about to enter his prime. If we can sign him longterm at 7.5 or less (remember - we are buying up high value UFA years) then in a couple years time, players of lesser quality will be earning the same across the league. Best to lock him up if possible and 7.5 is max I’d be comfortable with. We could bring in a very nice young top 6 F with FH’s trade value or even split the hit up into young NHL depth that can grow with the big club. Lots of good options in return if he prices himself out and we take his 1 year arbitration and eventually trade him. I think we’re in a good position with it all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

This is likely what PA offered. If Hronek is only after money, like Horfat Wallet, then we will trade him for a huge haul. 

I mean, the free agent market for RHD is thin. There's Tanev, who I know many fans on this board are huge on. But he's also 34 years old going on 35. If he wasn't durable when he was younger, why would he be more durable as he is getting older? 

4 hours ago, BPA said:

I can't see Hronek or his agent agreeing to 6.5m. that would be a slap in his face. it's probably starting at 7m for 6-8 years. Might have to get close to 8m (7.75m) over 5/6 years if he's going to sign. If he doesn't sign that, then it's off to looking for a trade. Better get good value on it, because we lost a 1st and a 3rd for Hronek, didn't we? And to top it all off, we don't have a lot of picks in this year's draft. So few prospects are coming into the pipeline as well.