[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

16 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Really comes down to does the team want a QH and Hronek top pair or a deeper d core. The playoffs so far have shown how important the four towers are. What is best for the short-term and also allows for young players to break onto the team. Feel like option 1 might be the best way forward and offer the most flexibility.

Option 1:

QH Tanev.       $7.85M.   $4.5M

Soucy Myers.    $3.25M.  $4M

Big Z Cole.         $5M.      $3M

Juulsen.              $775K

$27.5 - $29M

Plus assets received from a Hronek trade.

Or

Option 2:

QH Hronek.        $7.85M.   $7.85M

Soucy Myers.      $3.25M.  $4M

Cole Juulsen.       $3M.     $775K

Xx.                         $775K

$27 - $28.5

Im certainly leaning this way right now.

Hronek has not impressed me at times this season or whenever not paired with Hughes, which is concerning.

And this playoffs hes probably been our least impactful guy on the backend.

If we cant resign him for a $$$ that makes sense and if not signing him results in us adding assets in a trade for him and being able to run a d core like OPTION 1 and keep our backend size plus the flex of space for Willander and other dmen I do like that progression.

Crazy to say with how bad we've wanted a player like Hronek for so long too though so I am not ready to die on the sword for this take but the logic is there for me.

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Except that's not the case at all.  Even if Hronek were to sign for close to $8M, Zadorov close to $5M, and Joshua close to $4M, we'd still have around $7M of cap space left over assuming these guys are not coming back:

Lindholm

Myers

Cole

Blueger

Lafferty

This is what it would look like and we would have $7M to fill holes for 2024/25:

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

Garland-Suter-Joshua

Karlsson-Aman-PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Soucy

???-Juulsen

Demko

$2M backup

We're not as cap strapped as people make it out to be.  It's only the case if we're trying to bring back Lindholm, in which case Mikheyev needs to be traded.

That isn't the case. It only is for some who are trying to make it the case. Some, imo, who were crapping on Hronek from the beginning.

You're right. It gets tight when trying to bring Lindholm back. That's the one that really needs to make economic sense. 

You've laid it all out great. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I think we’ll end up having to trade Boeser if we want to keep most of this team together unfortunately. 

I don't think you trade out the main parts of the team in order to " keep it together ". That is counterproductive.

I am still surprised how many people think the team should move off from Hronek, absolute insanity. Topping it off there is this thought that Tanev at 34+ is any kind of answer. Of Myers, Tanev, and Zadorov I would bet Myers comes in at the lowest cap hit.

I can see Cole coming back between 2m-2.5m per. Extend Hronek for 7m range and Zadorov coming back would take what ? 5m per minimum ? no room for Tanev. You certainly don't trade Hronek only to bring in Tanev I don't care if you think he is a good place holder before Willander lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think that roster would be one that regresses offensively, I think we're missing a top six player as is, but that it'd probably still be a playoff roster if it can stay mostly healthy 

Podkolzin in the top six is a big question mark imo, which isn't to say he shouldn't get NHL level opportunities 

Yeah it all hinges on whether or not you see bounce back seasons for guys like Mikheyev, and arguably Petey. 

I think Podz is ready.  Playing with Miller would put him in a situation to absolutely succeed.

Then you gotta think Joshua really establishes himself next year.

Petey and Mik bouncing back would help tremendously.  Wouldn't see any regression at all then IMO. 

2 hours ago, Canuck You said:

Man, I salute you for putting in this much work already thinking about next season..Meanwhile my anxiety is just waiting for tonight.

Haha, my profession is all about numbers and forecasting.  My spreadsheet actually goes 8 years out, but there's just WAY too many variables to look that far into the future.  I'm most curious about navigating the 2 years of OEL's big cap penalty hits.  What we do this offseason will drastically affect those 2 years.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

That’s pretty generous giving Hogz a bump in pay to $5.5M.

It is... I'm hoping he becomes a 25 goal, 25 assist player in a couple years.  I also try to be as conservative as I can with my forecasted cap hits.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Im certainly leaning this way right now.

Hronek has not impressed me at times this season or whenever not paired with Hughes, which is concerning.

And this playoffs hes probably been our least impactful guy on the backend.

If we cant resign him for a $$$ that makes sense and if not signing him results in us adding assets in a trade for him and being able to run a d core like OPTION 1 and keep our backend size plus the flex of space for Willander and other dmen I do like that progression.

Crazy to say with how bad we've wanted a player like Hronek for so long too though so I am not ready to die on the sword for this take but the logic is there for me.

It's a tough one for sure but Hronek's play so far in the playoffs has been surprising sub-par. A few significant mistakes that have led to goals, etc. Hopefully he turns things around for the remainder of the playoffs.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah it all hinges on whether or not you see bounce back seasons for guys like Mikheyev, and arguably Petey. 

I think Podz is ready.  Playing with Miller would put him in a situation to absolutely succeed.

Then you gotta think Joshua really establishes himself next year.

Petey and Mik bouncing back would help tremendously.  Wouldn't see any regression at all then IMO. 

I don't really have an issue with Pettersson's regular season production, he was almost a 90 point player this season and best case scenario is he's a 90-110 point player imo. I don't ever see him putting up top level Kucherov, MacKinnon, or McDavid numbers. I'm not really expecting a ton more than what we got from him the past two seasons, and that's fine, it still leaves him as one of the top point producers in the league.

Maybe Mikheyev bounces back and puts up 40-50 points, hard to say. That would help offset regression elsewhere. Podz and Hoglander stepping up could too, but they're wildcards imo. 

We had a bunch of guys put up careers years this season, I'm not expecting to see that every season. I do expect regression from Miller at some point, maybe Hughes dips a bit too, and Boeser. Not really sure what to expect from Joshua, mayb somewhere between 30-45 points. 

Realistically we also had a lot of things go right this season, particularly when it came to injuries, outside of Demko we haven't really seen any top players out for an extensive amount of time. Over the years that's not typically how injuries have treated the Canucks. 

I fully expect to see a bit of regression next season, but what the looks like is anyone's guess. I expect we'll be a playoff team, whether we'll be a top team is anyone's guess. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It is... I'm hoping he becomes a 25 goal, 25 assist player in a couple years.  I also try to be as conservative as I can with my forecasted cap hits.

Hogs is done here if he’s expecting over 3 per. He has one more year on his current deal though, no? IMHAO the club doesn’t negotiate with Hogs until summer 2025. 

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Haha, my profession is all about numbers and forecasting.  My spreadsheet actually goes 8 years out, but there's just WAY too many variables to look that far into the future.  I'm most curious about navigating the 2 years of OEL's big cap penalty hits.  What we do this offseason will drastically affect those 2 years.

I would like to pick you brain one day..I think it would help me get richer! All love.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't really have an issue with Pettersson's regular season production, he was almost a 90 point player this season and best case scenario is he's a 90-110 point player imo. I don't ever see him putting up top level Kucherov, MacKinnon, or McDavid numbers. I'm not really expecting a ton more than what we got from him the past two seasons, and that's fine, it still leaves him as one of the top point producers in the league.

Maybe Mikheyev bounces back and puts up 40-50 points, hard to say. That would help offset regression elsewhere. Podz and Hoglander stepping up could too, but they're wildcards imo. 

We had a bunch of guys put up careers years this season, I'm not expecting to see that every season. I do expect regression from Miller at some point, maybe Hughes dips a bit too, and Boeser. Not really sure what to expect from Joshua, mayb somewhere between 30-45 points. 

Realistically we also had a lot of things go right this season, particularly when it came to injuries, outside of Demko we haven't really seen any top players out for an extensive amount of time. Over the years that's not typically how injuries have treated the Canucks. 

I fully expect to see a bit of regression next season, but what the looks like is anyone's guess. I expect we'll be a playoff team, whether we'll be a top team is anyone's guess. 

Petey started the year on a torrid pace.  I didn't think he could keep it up, but he regressed into a 50 point player by the end of the season, and is frankly doing even worse than that the last 17 or 18 games.  I could certainly see a good season from him being 110+ points.

Hoglander and Podkolzin are wild cards as you said.  I have faith in Hoglander to reach another gear though.  He has all the talent and drive in the world to do so.  Likewise, Podkolzin is very likely to improve on his 2 points in 19 games this season.  He had 14 goals and 26 points in his rookie year.

If Mikheyev is still here, I hope he hits the 40 to 45 point mark.  He's capable of it.  If he's not here, that means we've replaced him with another player that likely is just as capable of 40 to 50 points. 

Miller will regress eventually, but it sure feels like he's in the middle of his prime years right now.

I also feel like Boeser is just hitting his prime now.  Wouldn't surprise me to see him rattle off a few 30 goal seasons now.  Although that is a regression from this season's 40.

I don't think we've seen the absolute best of Quinn Hughes yet.  He's something extremely special. 

Anyways, yeah, it's all just guesswork at this point.  It's certainly easier and safer to say there will be regression from a lot of our top guys, but the other side of that coin is what if they're just hitting their prime?  Could be a realistic possibility as well.  Nobody thought the Canucks would be this good this soon.  Anything can happen.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hogs is done here if he’s expecting over 3 per. He has one more year on his current deal though, no? IMHAO the club doesn’t negotiate with Hogs until summer 2025. 

Nah, if he truly is a 25+25 guy, he will deserve $5M+.  Timing is interesting because Hoglander will be an RFA the final year of Garland's contract.  Could be the time to trade Garland and re-sign Hoglander using that money.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Nah, if he truly is a 25+25 guy, he will deserve $5M+.  Timing is interesting because Hoglander will be an RFA the final year of Garland's contract.  Could be the time to trade Garland and re-sign Hoglander using that money.

IMHAO Garland is moved this summer and Hogs next. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO Garland is moved this summer and Hogs next. 

Doubt it.  The pairs for the 3 lines:

Miller/Boeser

Petey/Hoglander

Garland/Joshua

You'd break 2 of the lines in 2 summers if you move Garland and Hoglander.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Doubt it.  The pairs for the 3 lines:

Miller/Boeser

Petey/Hoglander

Garland/Joshua

You'd break 2 of the lines in 2 summers if you move Garland and Hoglander.

Boeser only has one more year on his contract too. IMHAO JR/PA will try to keep Lindholm over any of those three wingers. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser only has one more year on his contract too. IMHAO JR/PA will try to keep Lindholm over any of those three wingers. 

Mikheyev is the obvious candidate to be traded.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Mikheyev is the obvious candidate to be traded.

Mik is big and fast and can play in any line. Bieser is big and can score and play a heavy game. 
We will try and keep the bigger players on the wings. Garland and Hogs are feisty and skilled but small. 
IMHAO we will keep Lindy, Bess, and Mik. Joshua will be a priority too. Garlsnd and Hogs not so much. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mik is big and fast and can play in any line. Bieser is big and can score and play a heavy game. 
We will try and keep the bigger players on the wings. Garland and Hogs are feisty and skilled but small. 
IMHAO we will keep Lindy, Bess, and Mik. Joshua will be a priority too. Garlsnd and Hogs not so much. 

Mik has 0 points, is a -2, with 0 blocked shots this entire series.

Garland has 2 points including  the primary assist on the OT winning goal last game, is even in +/-, and has blocked 3 shots.  It's not the size of the dog.

It's really between these 2.  We've gone through this a million times.  Joshua and Garland are a top tier duo for this team.  Mik can't stick on any line (he's literally been tried on every single line this season).

On 3/9/2024 at 9:55 AM, MikeyD said:

I hope they don't budge on that offer. I'd rather he walk if he wants above 7 million. 

Let a team offer sheet him at that AAV. Take the compensation.

48 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Mik has 0 points, is a -2, with 0 blocked shots this entire series.

Garland has 2 points including  the primary assist on the OT winning goal last game, is even in +/-, and has blocked 3 shots.  It's not the size of the dog.

It's really between these 2.  We've gone through this a million times.  Joshua and Garland are a top tier duo for this team.  Mik can't stick on any line (he's literally been tried on every single line this season).

Oh man, is anyone really advocating keeping Mik over Garland? Makes zero sense to me. Edit, oh it's Alf. Have another one Alf, lol. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Garland is small and nasty at his best but Hogz is short, he is not small.
Guy is built like a tank and plays that way. 

Hogz is small like Cicarelli was small. 
Build down the centre is the smartest way to go.   JR’s MO has always been build through the middle and surround them with big fast wingers and D. Sounds like what he has mostly done here. 

Tanev is at best a band aid solution to any situation which is fine and dandy, but that might cost you a 2-3 year deal at around 5mill per. There will be significant competition for his services.  Tanev is now a gamble, regardless of how many healthy games he plays. Another year of hard hockey on that older body and you can be sure he will be LTIRd next season which then potentially displaces our D balance should we move a FH or allow Myers/Z to walk.That said…he could also be a great “Mark Stone” for us. 

I can imagine SEA attempting to unite the brothers which is a cute marketing ploy and might sell a few more tickets and jerseys. Francis will be looking to build the Kraken back up after recent exploits and I imagine will try to make a few splashes. Pun intended.

Imho, our best bet right now is extend Z. Even at 4.5m + bonus, I believe he is worth that to OUR roster need and has truly performed well here. Underrated, especially on O and would become a backbone of our D and our currently physically slight core.

Personally, all depending on their ask, I would be prepared to let a few of our UFA walk. It might cause a drastic reshaping of our roster but it also provides excellent opportunity cap wise for us to negotiate trades and solidify for the longer term as a contender. I just don’t think the price points for certain current roster players will realize the equity required moving forward and perhaps it’s best to invest in lower price points, emerging talent and squeeze value out of that. There will be a number of teams needing to create cap space and some very interesting opportunities could arise. Plus it presents a much better opportunity to be selective in reshaping rather than competing/overpaying for what’s  sitting on the shelf as UFA.

Hogz will be affordable and will likely not receive a better playing opportunity elsewhere. Being alongside EP has afforded him a chance to carve out a niche position and he’s capitalized on it. I don’t envision him playing 1st line next season on the majority of the teams in the league, whereas here he’s already somewhat pencilled in for that. He will be 24 in Dec, so best option for an extension involves a “short term/show me more” deal? I see 3 years at 3.75per.

Super impressed by Joshua this season. I had major questions watching him at camp but he found his game and has been so valuable. That said, he’s in a contract year. 
I’m cautious. Hate to say it, but I am.

He’ll be 28 next month. RT has basically handed Joshua an NHL career and he has obliged. But the history isn’t yet there to warrant a major raise. I hope he also comes in around the same as Hogs…3.5m/3yr.

if there is a market for him I move Mik.

I keep Garland over Mik.

I think mgmt moves Garland out first though as Mik was an Allvin signing. 

If I’m mgmt, I also allow Lindholm to test UFA and politely ask him to come back to us prior to signing with anyone else. If his intention, which it should be, is to sign a retirement contract then moving on is our sole option.  Instead, that money should be going to a sniper/finisher for EP.

Really like Lindholm’s all around game, but I’m wary of what he will be offered elsewhere. 

if Myers wants to stay, I give him 3-4m for 2 years. Otherwise I also give him a chance to test the market and circle back. 

What shapes my view on all of this is the apprehension that the reality of any longterm investment into some key veteran players will result in not only a deprecation of the asset’s trade value over time but also potentially at an the expense of younger, promising, cost efficient talent losing valuable TOI development.
Would you rather have a Lindholm for the next 6-7 years at 7.5m+ or a 23 year old Shane Pinto type for 6-7 years at 5m per? Who fits the longterm succession better while still providing value/upside with room to become an even better player?
We need to invest in the latter now that we have some core contracts booked. This will be how we retain a QH or even a BB6 over the following years. It’s imperative we start to reposition that way for next season because our top prospects are likely still 2-3 years away. I just don’t think we have the cap space to bridge that gap in time and still be as successful (playoff club) and balanced unless we reposition whom we are investing into, beginning this offseason. 
The right player investment now will reap rewards in terms of future value, and that’s one definite way how we can continue to capitalize and replenish the roster going forward. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bh90 said:

i agree if i means keeping Lindholm, even if it costs a 1st round pick i'd do it.

you can trade a 1st now to free up cap space and bring back a know commodity (Lindholm), or you keep the 1st and you end up spending at the next deadline for another rental.

If Lindholm is willing to be on a team with Miller and Petterson and does prioritize being the top guy than it'll be a good fit. Lindholm will get his minutes regardless if he's the 3C on paper or not.

It won't cost more than a 3rd imo. He is still serviceable and only 2 more seasons left on his deal.

On 4/28/2024 at 2:16 PM, wai_lai416 said:

proven? so his career never existed in detroit? i guess he was riding the success of sneider in detroit whom he doesn't play with

Have you looked at his Detroit stats?

His highest point total was 38 and his defensive numbers were terrible.

If I'm going off those, he's looking at more of a "show me" contract then 6.5.