[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is exactly it. I've been saying this for months. That top pairing is known. You don't throw it away to keep gambling on the unknown. Look at how long it took to solidify that RHD. It's ridiculous.

We'll have a bit more leverage now that he's come down to earth more in the second half. 

That and he’s an RFA. Likely he gets the Toews contract. Soar players in similar roles. Each riding shotgun to a phenom. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

One of the best things about Hronek being an RFA is that we don't actually have to make any decisions before July 1st. We can qualify him then wait to see how free agency goes before making any decisions.

Potential Hronek trades will all be player trades so the draft doesn't matter. Also, the teams we would be most likely to trade with aren't looking for draft picks either. Potential trade partners like Carolina, Ottawa, and Utah are all looking to compete now or take the next step. As such, players like Necas, Zub, and Crouse are unlikely to be dealt at the draft.

I think a big factor in how we deal with the defense this summer is going to be how far away management thinks Willander is. If management thinks he's going to be ready to step in at the end of next season then a 2-3 year stop-gap is all that's really needed. For example, we could look at someone like DeMelo at something like $4.5Mx3 to play on the 1st or 2nd pairing. A Zadorov-DeMelo pairing would be a better and more physical version of the Zadorov-Cole pairing.

If we can bring in someone like DeMelo we can run a top 4 of:

Hughes (7.85) - Hronek (7)

Zadorov (4.5-4.75) - DeMelo (4.5)

If Hronek still insists on $8M then we can trade him for Zub ($4.6M). Or, if we're able to sign Roy for something like 5.5x5 then we can trade Hronek's rights for Necas' rights and re-sign Necas for $6.5Mx6 or $6Mx7 or do a Hronek + Mikheyev to Utah for Crouse ($4.3M). We can also probably dump Mikheyev to Chicago if nothing else for something like a 6th round pick just to clear cap.

Swapping out Hronek and Myers for Roy and DeMelo loses us a little bit of offense from the blueline but we would be stronger defensively and likely harder to play against.

I've seen a few interview recently with players agents and a common theme that often comes up is not the $ value of the contract or AAV that is used to negotiate but rather % of cap space.

Based on this, when we signed Hughes to his current deal the first year of the contract was worth 9.63% of salary cap.   If we apply that % to Hronek and the cap next season, that would translate to 8.45M$ AAV. So, that would be the hard cap on Hronek's asking price IMO.  If he asks anything above this, he's crazy.  Now you gotta factor in the age difference, the ceiling difference, the respective age when the contract was signed, the league economy (which favors Hronek unfortunately), but in the end, I can't see the Canucks justifying a price over 8M$.

>8M over paid

7.25<X<8M fair value

<7.25M is probably a steal

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I've seen a few interview recently with players agents and a common theme that often comes up is not the $ value of the contract or AAV that is used to negotiate but rather % of cap space.

Based on this, when we signed Hughes to his current deal the first year of the contract was worth 9.63% of salary cap.   If we apply that % to Hronek and the cap next season, that would translate to 8.45M$ AAV. So, that would be the hard cap on Hronek's asking price IMO.  If he asks anything above this, he's crazy.  Now you gotta factor in the age difference, the ceiling difference, the respective age when the contract was signed, the league economy (which favors Hronek unfortunately), but in the end, I can't see the Canucks justifying a price over 8M$.

>8M over paid

7.25<X<8M fair value

<7.25M is probably a steal

You're getting warmer.   By getting that it's about cap percentage,  then add the overall money into it.    That also matters.   What the player is guaranteed to make.     Traditionally full term deals have been reserved for proven blue chip star players.   Hronek is getting one RFA year no matter what.    Going to the far side of term as in 7-8, usually is done to reduce overall cap on proven blue chip UFA players only, he's almost a UFA... so not paying for "potential" or giving him the modest risk very high reward, say OTT did with all their RFA's after their ELC's.    In your opinion, has Hronek done his career to date, then say Edler?    Yes the league has changed a bit since then.   What about Tyler Myers UFA deal.    Personally have a very tough time (going back to the start of this thread) justifying a full term deal or even a 7 year one, unless his AVV is extremely palatable.   

Hronek didn't have a good post season.    And started to tail off (for sure not the only one) the last couple months.   Edler got a six year deal at 7.78%, and IMO, was quite a bit better.    Before that much less for four years (bridge).   What is it, that you see, that pushed Hronek so much further into the higher echelon of top four D spending?    Aside from taxes, and the fact he's a unicorn (RHD).   Personally, would have preferred Tanev in the playoffs (with hindsight, and still he's not the right choice).   And well someone who's getting paid like a top pairing D, should be able to manage a top pairing D on his own.  

FYI:  With cap going up to say 87.5,  Edlers six year legacy deal, after 7 year of league min to well under 6% of the cap,  6.8 or so for Hronek.   To me that would include the taxes, and that he's a RHD.   On a six year deal.   It goes down if it's 7 or 8. 

Also EK, his long term partner in Ottawa was Methot.   Food for thought.  

Edited by IBatch

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Are you joking?  Let someone else steal him then.  He's not worth even close to that right now

Yep.   Rather we just qualify him and let him prove himself next season on his own line, and make a pitch for long in the tooth Tanev then throw that much cap space away.    And i'm not a fan of that choice either. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   Rather we just qualify him and let him prove himself next season on his own line, and make a pitch for long in the tooth Tanev then throw that much cap space away.  

Personally, if I were PA, Id ask him if he believed in what was being built and if he wanted to be a part of it.  If he does, then I'd say $5.5m x 2 and a chance to really prove he's worth a career contract.  Good for the team and not terrible for him as it gets him to UFA status.  If not, I'd be finding him a new home.

Handing him a monster contract based on a good half season seems ridiculous

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/15/2024 at 9:47 AM, BabychStache said:

WOAH If Theodore gets traded to Van I will immediately buy a jersey. 

My son's name is Theodore. 

Highly unlikely though, Why would Vegas want Hronek?

Everyone’s sons names is (Theo)dore these days 😁

1 minute ago, EB43 said:

Everyone’s sons names is (Theo)dore these days 😁

LOL True! Mines 14, so we were a bit ahead of the trend. 

I just like Teddy Roosevelt. 

• Cheers 1

Dhali said last he heard Hronek's camp is still hard stuck on 8mil. So what are the odds we can get a top 15 pick for him at the draft? St Louis at 16, would they maybe part with that pick? Or even just Hronek for Buchnevich.

• Sad 1

To me if he wants big money Alvin will trade him and get a solid RHD with size to play with QH.

I just hope that we can get a solid D man back that is on a great deal.

I always liked Carlo.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

To me if he wants big money Alvin will trade him and get a solid RHD with size to play with QH.

I just hope that we can get a solid D man back that is on a great deal.

I always liked Carlo.

If it’s ever revealed that Hronek was again dealing with shoulder issues this season then he has to go. He plays such a physical game whereby a couple times in the playoffs I winced hoping that after he got checked his shoulder was still intact. I think he’s been an awesome Dman for us, but for 8 mill we can roster two Dmen at that cost, one to play with QH and another to service the 5/6 spot and move Zaddy up to 2nd line if extended. 

We’re going to need to restore depth and unfortunately some comprises need to be made, especially in the case of ANY 8million dollar Dman not named Quinn Hughes.

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Dhali said last he heard Hronek's camp is still hard stuck on 8mil. So what are the odds we can get a top 15 pick for him at the draft? St Louis at 16, would they maybe part with that pick? Or even just Hronek for Buchnevich.

Hopefully Dhali is just rehashing old content which he does 50% of the time 

Just now, RWJC said:

Hopefully Dhali is just rehashing old content which he does 50% of the time 

Hopefully, but at this point. Anything over 6.5mil feels like a gross overpayment for him. He was not very good for 50+ games. Including the playoffs. This guy is not signing for sub 7mil though. Satiar Shah also said management is going to be "ruthless" in how they handle the team this offseason. Sounds more like speculation though. But I can see both Dhali and Sat being right here.

This team genuinely had 6+ passengers during the playoffs. Half this roster can go and I think we'd be better off. The only players I desperately want on this team are Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Garland, Joshua, Lindholm and Zadorov. Other than Demko and Silovs obviously. The rest were pretty garbo for the playoffs and even a good portion of the last third of the regular season.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hopefully, but at this point. Anything over 6.5mil feels like a gross overpayment for him. He was not very good for 50+ games. Including the playoffs. This guy is not signing for sub 7mil though. Satiar Shah also said management is going to be "ruthless" in how they handle the team this offseason. Sounds more like speculation though. But I can see both Dhali and Sat being right here.

This team genuinely had 6+ passengers during the playoffs. Half this roster can go and I think we'd be better off. The only players I desperately want on this team are Miller, Boeser, Hughes, Garland, Joshua, Lindholm and Zadorov. Other than Demko and Silovs obviously. The rest were pretty garbo for the playoffs and even a good portion of the last third of the regular season.

I hear ya. Keep Soucy too, imho. Great 3rd pairing D on a decent contract. 

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I think you should add Blueger to your list. Not flashy, but I feel like his contributions are still underappreciated. He led all forwards on the PK and had only a 35% O-zone start percentage 5-on-5. He played a huge role on the defensive side of the puck. Maybe not desperately want on the team, but he's one of the guys I think did show up and battle.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think you should add Blueger to your list. Not flashy, but I feel like his contributions are still underappreciated. He led all forwards on the PK and had only a 35% O-zone start percentage 5-on-5. He played a huge role on the defensive side of the puck. Maybe not desperately want on the team, but he's one of the guys I think did show up and battle.

That was a list of players I "desperately want to keep." There are a couple guys I'm perfectly fine keeping beyond them as well. Blueger and Hogs being the first two to mind. I just wanted to emphasize the guys that make a difference on a bigger scale. I won't shed many tears if we lose Blueger, but I'd very much be happy keeping him. Much like Beagle, I think he's a great bottom 6 penalty killer piece. And he'd be cheaper than Beags was.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

You're getting warmer.   By getting that it's about cap percentage,  then add the overall money into it.    That also matters.   What the player is guaranteed to make.     Traditionally full term deals have been reserved for proven blue chip star players.   Hronek is getting one RFA year no matter what.    Going to the far side of term as in 7-8, usually is done to reduce overall cap on proven blue chip UFA players only, he's almost a UFA... so not paying for "potential" or giving him the modest risk very high reward, say OTT did with all their RFA's after their ELC's.    In your opinion, has Hronek done his career to date, then say Edler?    Yes the league has changed a bit since then.   What about Tyler Myers UFA deal.    Personally have a very tough time (going back to the start of this thread) justifying a full term deal or even a 7 year one, unless his AVV is extremely palatable.   

Hronek didn't have a good post season.    And started to tail off (for sure not the only one) the last couple months.   Edler got a six year deal at 7.78%, and IMO, was quite a bit better.    Before that much less for four years (bridge).   What is it, that you see, that pushed Hronek so much further into the higher echelon of top four D spending?    Aside from taxes, and the fact he's a unicorn (RHD).   Personally, would have preferred Tanev in the playoffs (with hindsight, and still he's not the right choice).   And well someone who's getting paid like a top pairing D, should be able to manage a top pairing D on his own.  

FYI:  With cap going up to say 87.5,  Edlers six year legacy deal, after 7 year of league min to well under 6% of the cap,  6.8 or so for Hronek.   To me that would include the taxes, and that he's a RHD.   On a six year deal.   It goes down if it's 7 or 8. 

Also EK, his long term partner in Ottawa was Methot.   Food for thought.  

Hronek didn't produce offensively.Defensively he was never good to start with.His calling card is hard slapper,and he never used it.Good candidate for trade.I am not down on him,but money he ask is no bueno.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Hronek didn't produce offensively.Defensively he was never good to start with.His calling card is hard slapper,and he never used it.Good candidate for trade.I am not down on him,but money he ask is no bueno.

what’s crazy is the one time he used it , he scored. I’m over him not using it because of clogged lanes. Make these guys block your shot, that’s injured multiple people this season, and that instills hesitation for future shots, which opens up the lanes. 

Hronek can learn a lot from this playoff run. To be fair to him, it was his first, and he was alright. The problem is that we need him to be more than just alright, especially at the price point he’s currently at. 

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

what’s crazy is the one time he used it , he scored. I’m over him not using it because of clogged lanes. Make these guys block your shot, that’s injured multiple people this season, and that instills hesitation for future shots, which opens up the lanes. 

Hronek can learn a lot from this playoff run. To be fair to him, it was his first, and he was alright. The problem is that we need him to be more than just alright, especially at the price point he’s currently at. 

Biggest mistake we can make right now is overpaying bottom 6 guys that overproduced or D men that can’t drive play themselves.

The key for this team right now is to find a D man that can take some of the heavy minutes off Hughes. That weakness was exposed this playoffs. We were too reliant on one D man and Hronek hasn’t proven he can drive his own pair.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Biggest mistake we can make right now is overpaying bottom 6 guys that overproduced or D men that can’t drive play themselves.

The key for this team right now is to find a D man that can take some of the heavy minutes off Hughes. That weakness was exposed this playoffs. We were too reliant on one D man and Hronek hasn’t proven he can drive his own pair.

that there is likely why we won't go to 8.