[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

Hronek is not worth more than 7 million  a year.  Maybe in 3 years with the cap raises.  But not now.

The next two ish seasons sees OEL's dead cap rise to almost $5 million.

If a team wants to pay Hronek the alleged 8 million he's asking let them.

IMO the Nucks shoudl qualify him with the caveat of a longer higher cost deal IF he can generate anything alone without Hughes .  Because the fundamental issue is we can not pay another player top dollars for being a passenger.

We have almost come to the end of the Benning era signings of players paid 1-2 million to much coming off of the books entirely and cannot start down another path of Poolmans Sutters, etc in which we get serviceable players for a million or two more than they're worth as that will set the price this org is willing to pay for depth players and passengers thus dictating the market for us around the league.

Or something

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 24K said:

I have a feeling Hronek is Utah bound. 

good, a lot of fun trade ideas

Lawson Crouse - yes please

Sean Durzi 

Dylan Guenther - the OEL 1st rounder revenge pick...

Mattias Macelli

Josh Doan

not to mention, a ton of picks 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Crouse?

I would do Crouse and a 2nd 

Crouse is a good contract, is heavy but he is a 2nd liner on a bad team and a sub 50 point guy 

they have an FLA 2nd which is late and that would be a reasonable add they also have WSH 2nd which is smack in the middle of the round so I would prefer that

we also get cap savings 

Crouse (4.3) Petey Guentzel

Hoglander Miller Brock 

Joshua  Bluegger Garland 

Podz Suter Aman 

PDG

Best forward group in the league 

Hughes Tanev (4.5x3)

Zads (5.75) Myers (2.25)

Soucy Juulsen

Cap space 24.778

trade Milkeyev with a sweetner =+4.75

Cap space 29.5

Guentzel 7.5 x 7 (would he turn down 52.5 million from JR/PA)?

Crouse 4.3

Joshua 3.5 x 5 (17.5 total)

Bluegger 1.25 x 4

Tanev 4.00 x3

Zads 5.5 x 6

Myers 2.25 x 3

Silovs 1.25

= 29.5

Edited by canucks curse
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

I would do Crouse and a 2nd 

Crouse is a good contract, is heavy but he is a 2nd liner on a bad team and a sub 50 point guy 

they have an FLA 2nd which is late and that would be a reasonable add they also have WSH 2nd which is smack in the middle of the round so I would prefer that

we also get cap savings 

Crouse (4.3) Petey Guentzel

Hoglander Miller Brock 

Joshua  Bluegger Garland 

Podz Suter Aman 

PDG

Best forward group in the league 

Hughes Tanev (4.5x3)

Zads (5.75) Myers (2.25)

Soucy Juulsen

Cap space 24.778

trade Milkeyev with a sweetner =+4.75

Cap space 29.5

Guentzel 7.5 x 7 (would he turn down 52.5 million from JR/PA)?

Crouse 4.3

Joshua 3.5 x 5 (17.5 total)

Bluegger 1.25 x 4

Tanev 4.00 x3

Zads 5.5 x 6

Myers 2.25 x 3

Silovs 1.25

= 29.5

I think JG is going to get $8m, Myers at $3.5 and Tanev probably $5m+.  You also have to factor in OEL at $2m+ and then $4m+ coming up as well.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think JG is going to get $8m, Myers at $3.5 and Tanev probably $5m+.  You also have to factor in OEL at $2m+ and then $4m+ coming up as well.

OELevator was and is a bottom pairing guy. We can play Willander in our bottom pair, and he will be better than Loservator. 

Posted (edited)

The 8mil could still be a stance on Hronek's part to try and get a little more money out of the Canucks. There tends to be a lot of posturing when it comes to negotiations after all and agents tend to do these things for a living.

Of course, if it's not just posturing and he really is saying "8 million or I leave" then obviously a decision needs to be made in regards to who is more important to keep. This likely would mean Hronek leaves as I doubt management really wants to show they'll cough up that kind of money whenever a player makes such a hard stance. You have to give to get as they say and this should be no different.

That being said, I really do think there has to be some posturing involved in this, albeit perhaps rather poorly done if he wants to show he wants to stick around.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The 8mil could still be a stance on Hronek's part to try and get a little more money out of the Canucks. There tends to be a lot of posturing when it comes to negotiations after all and agents tend to do these things for a living.

Of course, if it's not just posturing and he really is saying "8 million or I leave" then obviously a decision needs to be made in regards to who is more important to keep. This likely would mean Hronek leaves as I doubt management really wants to show they'll cough up that kind of money whenever a player makes such a hard stance. You have to give to get as they say and this should be no different.

That being said, I really do think there has to be some posturing involved in this, albeit perhaps rather poorly done if he wants to show he wants to stick around.

I like how this management group offers players they want to keep what they believe is a fair contract and if that player expects more they move on. Just look at Horfat Wallet. He chased the money. And then there’s Miller who took a lot less to stay in our city. 
Hronek has been offered a fair contract. He either accepts or he will moved. But we do have him under team control for one more season. That’s leverage for us, especially considering his injuries and how he could end up with less if he takes the risk. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I like how this management group offers players they want to keep what they believe is a fair contract and if that player expects more they move on. Just look at Horfat Wallet. He chased the money. And then there’s Miller who took a lot less to stay in our city. 
Hronek has been offered a fair contract. He either accepts or he will moved. But we do have him under team control for one more season. That’s leverage for us, especially considering his injuries and how he could end up with less if he takes the risk. 

I agree mostly. Players think they’re worth 9 million a year if they had a decent season on D and 11-12 if they have a good season on F. It absolutely hampers a team cap-wise. 

As for leverage… possibly, but if he files for arbitration, and say he’s awarded 7-8 that’s fine. Except under the CBA if it goes to arbitration, it means you can’t trade that player for 1 calendar year after the hearing. Meaning he walks for nothing in a year… 

the other negative of going to arbitration is I think most of the cases happen in august. So say Hronek wants 9 and files…. I think the Canucks can’t trade him after it’s filed and they’d have to keep 9 million in space in case he wins…. Which would affect what we can do free agent or trade-wise. 

but I hope if he rejected a decent offer and counted with a ridiculous number, that they do pull off a trade before the end of the playoffs so that we avoid that mess. 

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I agree mostly. Players think they’re worth 9 million a year if they had a decent season on D and 11-12 if they have a good season on F. It absolutely hampers a team cap-wise. 

As for leverage… possibly, but if he files for arbitration, and say he’s awarded 7-8 that’s fine. Except under the CBA if it goes to arbitration, it means you can’t trade that player for 1 calendar year after the hearing. Meaning he walks for nothing in a year… 

the other negative of going to arbitration is I think most of the cases happen in august. So say Hronek wants 9 and files…. I think the Canucks can’t trade him after it’s filed and they’d have to keep 9 million in space in case he wins…. Which would affect what we can do free agent or trade-wise. 

but I hope if he rejected a decent offer and counted with a ridiculous number, that they do pull off a trade before the end of the playoffs so that we avoid that mess. 

We can trade him or extend him. We have total control. Like with Fat Wallet. Take the fair offer of we trade him for a huge haul. 

Posted (edited)

My hope is, if he does hold out, we still make sure we get our other contracts done, with or without him. I'd be a lot more bummed if Zadorov or Joshua left for example. I'd even go so far to say that Zadorov's my favourite player on the team at this point.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, canucks curse said:

good, a lot of fun trade ideas

Lawson Crouse - yes please

Sean Durzi 

Dylan Guenther - the OEL 1st rounder revenge pick...

Mattias Macelli

Josh Doan

not to mention, a ton of picks 

No way Guenther would be included in a possible Hronek deal. 

We can trade him or extend him. We have total control. Like with Fat Wallet. Take the fair offer of we trade him for a huge haul. 

I mean, you don't want to be known as that kind of management playing hard ball every single time with your players. That's a good way to create distrust with management and players and player agents around the league. 

If Hronek and Canucks management can't come to an agreement, then it's time to move on and get the best offer you can for Hronek. Utah would be perfect as they have pieces and players that would interest Allvin and Rutherford. 

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

If Hronek is really serious about seeing himself being worth 8M, then I feel bad for the GM that signs him. They're going to be stuck with an anchor contract. Hronek is a very good defenseman, he is not worth 8M as a player. Look at the way he played in the postseason. He bobbled pucks, misread plays, misplayed plays, refused to shoot the puck (what the heck?), and just got beat constantly on pucks. Does that sound like an 8M defenseman? Not to me it ain't. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I mean, you don't want to be known as that kind of management playing hard ball every single time with your players. That's a good way to create distrust with management and players and player agents around the league. 

If Hronek and Canucks management can't come to an agreement, then it's time to move on and get the best offer you can for Hronek. Utah would be perfect as they have pieces and players that would interest Allvin and Rutherford. 

Miller took a lot less to stay here. The bar is set. JR publicly stated as much. Players who are only out to get the most money they can won’t be here. 

Hronek at 8 mill where does the number come from and who are the comparables?

Damon severson -RD- similar offensive production to hornet the year he signed 6.25 AAV at age 27 (11 goals 46 points) but more goals, healthier,  more physical arguably better defensively played PK, was a true no.3 d man and wanted too much money, that's why Jersey let him go 

Toews 7.25 - won a cup, true top pair d man, better offensive numbers 3 seasons >49 points LD

Bouchard RFA > 60 points this season, severely out played Hronek 2 yrs younger 

Sean Durzi - numbers, size, style very comparable - see what he gets this offseason he will not get anywhere near 8

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

My hope is, if he does hold out, we still make sure we get our other contracts done, with or without him. I'd be a lot more bummed if Zadorov or Joshua left for example. I'd even go so far to say that Zadorov's my favourite player on the team at this point.

Tough to top Miller, but I agree otherwise.....Zadorov has to be re-signed.  All the bigger guys need to be re-signed really....lets the skilled guys play harder knowing they have a solid group of guys that won't let the cheap shots happen.  With that said, Hronek has been great at standing up for the team.  I hope they resign Hronek, but I also hope he will agree to a reasonable contract.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller took a lot less to stay here. The bar is set. JR publicly stated as much. Players who are only out to get the most money they can won’t be here. 

But Petey did not. lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Tough to top Miller, but I agree otherwise.....Zadorov has to be re-signed.  All the bigger guys need to be re-signed really....lets the skilled guys play harder knowing they have a solid group of guys that won't let the cheap shots happen.  With that said, Hronek has been great at standing up for the team.  I hope they resign Hronek, but I also hope he will agree to a reasonable contract.

I've been banging on this drum. If he resigns, I think he'll take around 7-7.5M for 6-7 years. He won't get the max 8, if he's wanting that much in my opinion, and there won't be trade protection on his deal. 

If Hronek wants 8 

what are his compaeables ?

he just got outplayed by Bouchard, ekholm, Hughes, Zadorov 

severson - great comparable one year into 6.25 AAV contract at that time he had 11 goals 46 points 

was a no. 2-3 d man 

can’t run a pp

can’t play top pk

adequately physical 

Hronek is younger 

Devon Toews at 7.2 - is a cup winner and true Top pair guy 

Posted (edited)

To OTT

Klimovich 

Demko 

Hronek 

To VAN