[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

44 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I think we'll get better ROI by trading away Hronek. 

There's a lot of teams that he would really fit too position, style, and cap

Carolina, Utah, Montreal, Toronto, Florida (if they lost Montour), Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

all those teams lack a true #1 RHD for the present and in the future. And all these teams have a surplus of forwards that could fit well with the Canucks.

Sign Matt Roy, Alexandre Carrier, and Tyler Myers as UFA's for RHD. You could probably get all 3 for ~10 million

Hughes - Roy

Zadorov - Carrier

Soucy - Myers

Juulsen

if Tanev makes it to free agency, we will sign him 

Apologies if this was mentioned already in the thread, but iirc Allvin mentioned that he would like to see Hronek potentially commanding his own pairing next season. To me thats an obvious declaration that if we’re paying Hronek big money, then we will be potentially running a 1A/1B type defensive structure which would be great provided we have the requisite bodies to flesh out those lines equally. 

If all 3 of Hronek, Z and Myers stay with the club, then I envision our main priority on D in offseason will be to again secure another linemate for QH, with the other pairings being Hronek + Z, and Soucy + Myers. Not too shabby.  Juulsen comes back as 7th and we likely find another experienced 6/7 to complete the rotation. I don’t know how we do it, but if we add a Tanev or Pesce in offseason, our D would be quite solid and fluid in terms of any line blending.

Excited to see what transpires.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Snapshots: Hronek, Mikheyev, Okhotyuk, Abramov

May 23rd, 2024 at 8:29pm CST • By Brian La Rose

Canucks defenseman Filip Hronek had a career year this season, notching 48 points in 81 games while logging over 23 minutes a night in his first full year in Vancouver.  The timing couldn’t have been much better as he’s eligible for restricted free agency with arbitration eligibility this summer.  While a long-term deal has been expected for a while, Thomas Drance and Rick Dhaliwal of The Athletic report (subscription link) that there has been very little progress made on a new agreement nor have their been any sort of substantive negotiations in several months.  Hronek is owed a $5.28MM qualifying offer next month, one they’ll have no issue tendering as a long-term agreement is likely to run past the $7MM mark.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/05/snapshots-hronek-mikheyev-okhotyuk-abramov.html#ref=home

Just now, KoreanHockeyFan said:

This is literally what everyone kept fear mongering about with Petey before he got his extension. 

Hronek could very well sign a 8 year deal like petey but he isn't signing a 2 year bridge when he can force a 1 year bridge

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

Others have mentioned this above, but thought I'd link it in for others to see if they would like.  Hronek was pretty abrasive to the press despite being asked reasonable questions in a polite manner.  Dude doesn't seem like a happy guy with Vancouver.  Noticing he didn't answer the question about his contract.  I could be wrong, but this sure looks like he's not coming back (skip to 2:08).  Also, at 9:00ish he also doesn't speak much about coming back other than "I'm restricted, so there's not much I can do".

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RWJC said:

Apologies if this was mentioned already in the thread, but iirc Allvin mentioned that he would like to see Hronek potentially commanding his own pairing next season. To me thats an obvious declaration that if we’re paying Hronek big money, then we will be potentially running a 1A/1B type defensive structure which would be great provided we have the requisite bodies to flesh out those lines equally. 

If all 3 of Hronek, Z and Myers stay with the club, then I envision our main priority on D in offseason will be to again secure another linemate for QH, with the other pairings being Hronek + Z, and Soucy + Myers. Not too shabby.  Juulsen comes back as 7th and we likely find another experienced 6/7 to complete the rotation. I don’t know how we do it, but if we add a Tanev or Pesce in offseason, our D would be quite solid and fluid in terms of any line blending.

Excited to see what transpires.

If Allvin mentioned this, they either already have a deal in place that is a deal that makes sense in place (6.5) or they are choosing to qualify him and let him prove his value first. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Others have mentioned this above, but thought I'd link it in for others to see if they would like.  Hronek was pretty abrasive to the press despite being asked reasonable questions in a polite manner.  Dude doesn't seem like a happy guy with Vancouver.  Noticing he didn't answer the question about his contract.  I could be wrong, but this sure looks like he's not coming back (skip to 2:08).  Also, at 9:00ish he also doesn't speak much about coming back other than "I'm restricted, so there's not much I can do".

JPat's question might have been asked with a nice tone, but it wasn't a nice question and included inflammatory prodding. His whole line of questioning was basically "why did you suck and why won't you tell me you were injured." Not a nice question, but Hronek's initial response, while not not said with the best body language, was a perfectly valid response saying that he wished he knew why so he could have changed something but he did try to do some new things.

Hronek really looked like he just didn't want to be there and is probably uncomfortable dealing with media. They both could have handled it better.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Bridge makes the most sense for the team and maybe for Hronek too.

6.1 x 3 is the analytic's fair estimate on a bridge.

7.4 x 8 on a full term deal.

Given our window, Willander and cap constraints with OEL,  and the fact we still haven't seen Hronek manage his own pairing like we did with, say Edler ... for me just like the start, don't believe in signing guys to full term deals unless the are either a proven star with a pedigree,  OR if they are a blue chip UFA like Miller was.    That's the system.   Hronek is an awesome player and a great add for us,  would anyone on this thread even consider signing a full term deal at 8!! yikes, if he was a LHD?  

Doubt it.    Yes he is.   And we absolutely need that, especially with Myers also up. 

9 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Hronek could very well sign a 8 year deal like petey but he isn't signing a 2 year bridge when he can force a 1 year bridge

How can he force a one year bridge?   Is that what an arbitrator would agree on?  The bridge cost for Hronek, based on all comps and what he's done, is 6.1 x 3.   

Guys that get term deals, traditionally are blue chip stars or kids with loads of potential coming off their ELC's.   Hronek is neither of these.  

The team is taking a massive gamble signing him to a long term deal.   Allvin knows this.   To me what he's actually earned, is a medium term deal around 5 years max.    Wouldn't at all clump him in with guys like Devon Toews.    Miss Korea @stawns, myself, and a few others have been suggesting this all along.  

We have the ability to sit it out and wait.  Which is the teams right.   We paid a high cost to acquire him.  

To all those who are still in the full term (not suggesting you are),  think of it like Alex Edler.   Personally feel, he had accomplished more at he same age.   And the way the team structured their deals around him were both fair, realistic and how the sport does their deals for the most part.   

Right now analytics has him at 7.4 for a full term deal.    If the team truly believed he's a core player, then they will move up on their below 7 start.   

Given our cap constraints, and what it's going to cost to keep QHs and maybe Demko...a bridge makes perfect sense.    If that's not available to them, then just qualify him and give it some more time.    Low risk, big reward.   For Hronek to get his legacy deal, we need him to produce 40 or so points without first unit time, on his own pairing.    Even then, I still think all he should get is a 5-6 year deal.   Like Bieksa did, like Edler, Hamhuis etc.   What has he done, that is overly remarkable?   5 goals and a lot of secondary assists. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

How can he force a one year bridge?   Is that what an arbitrator would agree on?  The bridge cost for Hronek, based on all comps and what he's done, is 6.1 x 3.   

Hronek is 1 season away from UFA, arbitration awards can't dig into UFA years so the only option is a 1 year award.

Hronek could go to arbitration where he is sure to get at least 7 million and then hit the UFA market next year making 8x8 on the open market. 

Why would he screw himself taking a 3 year deal at a discount and give up the financial security of being locked into huge money for his entire career? There are many variables that could go wrong whether it be disease, injury or just bad luck that would force him to lose out on millions and millions of dollars on his career earnings. 

Even if he was a stupid man his agent would never allow him to do such a thing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Hronek is 1 season away from UFA, arbitration awards can't dig into UFA years so the only option is a 1 year award.

Hronek could go to arbitration where he is sure to get at least 7 million and then hit the UFA market next year making 8x8 on the open market. 

Why would he screw himself taking a 3 year deal at a discount and give up the financial security of being locked into huge money for his entire career? There are many variables that could go wrong whether it be disease, injury or just bad luck that would force him to lose out on millions and millions of dollars on his career earnings. 

Klingberg. Not the norm, I know; but seeing guys fumble the bag has to be in a players mind a little bit. 

• Cheers 1

I just look at it from PAJR’s perspective and how they stick to their mandate.

They offered a reasonable deal to EP a few times and it was rejected, affording  the player the position of control. Eventually they decided to aggressively regain that control by discussing trade and were successful in pulling that player back to the table and a deal much earlier than the player wanted. 

I see no difference in how they would handle Hronek, regardless of his position being an influential piece to our roster. They apparently offered him a fair deal early on and there hasn’t been much discussion since.

again, the player is utilizing their negotiation position to potentially hamstring mgmt. 

As such I have no doubt that Hronek is in play and, unless agrees to a deal relatively soon, will be transacted by mgmt prior to them losing any further amount of control.

its not ruthless, it’s how we build a winner and team first mentality.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bridge makes the most sense for the team and maybe for Hronek too.

6.1 x 3 is the analytic's fair estimate on a bridge.

7.4 x 8 on a full term deal.

Given our window, Willander and cap constraints with OEL,  and the fact we still haven't seen Hronek manage his own pairing like we did with, say Edler ... for me just like the start, don't believe in signing guys to full term deals unless the are either a proven star with a pedigree,  OR if they are a blue chip UFA like Miller was.    That's the system.   Hronek is an awesome player and a great add for us,  would anyone on this thread even consider signing a full term deal at 8!! yikes, if he was a LHD?  

Doubt it.    Yes he is.   And we absolutely need that, especially with Myers also up. 

I like Hronek, not his performance in this playoffs left a lot to be desired honestly. 

I don't know if he can handle or carry his own pair, which gives me reservations about handing him an 8 year deal. Now with that being said, at 7.4M that's better than his rumoured asking price of 8M over 8 years. I say bridge him, by the end of his bridge deal, he would be 28/29 years old, and would be a UFA at the end of that. If we get the sense that he's not going to sign an extension at that time, then you gotta trade him for a good package coming back. 

On 5/24/2024 at 10:32 AM, Coryberg said:

A succinct summary of the dilemma that faces Canuck Management.

If Hronek goes the arbitration route, he will get paid and it will be for a one year period. After which he will be an Unrestricted Free Agent and able to sign with any team with no compensation. This "No Compensation" would be of interest to a number of GM's and most likely would get him a premium payday, perhaps even something in the 8+M range.

A small correction regarding the term available to a UFA on the "open market". This term is 7 years not 8 years. 

Only the current team could sign him to a 8 year term.

If Hronek plus hardball for anything over 7M. Give him his qualifying offer for 5.28M and trade his ass outta here. He’s not the one I’m worried about. Zadorav/Joshua/Lindholm would be more important signings

5 hours ago, Artemus said:

A succinct summary of the dilemma that faces Canuck Management.

If Hronek goes the arbitration route, he will get paid and it will be for a one year period. After which he will be an Unrestricted Free Agent and able to sign with any team with no compensation. This "No Compensation" would be of interest to a number of GM's and most likely would get him a premium payday, perhaps even something in the 8+M range.

A small correction regarding the term available to a UFA on the "open market". This term is 7 years not 8 years. 

Only the current team could sign him to a 8 year term.

Correct... slipped my mind

• Cheers 1

On 5/24/2024 at 10:32 AM, Coryberg said:

He can only get a 7 year deal max on the open market.  This is what the Canucks have in terms of an advantage, is that they can offer an 8 year deal.  For a guy that's 26-27 years old, the extra year is huge, adds one more big year of security.  It would be in Hronek's best interest to either sign an 8 year extension with Vancouver in the summer or get traded to a team who can then offer him 8 years.  Similar to Tkachuk.  

So, I doubt very much that he will go to arbitration.  But he also won't take a bridge deal as some have mentioned either.  it's either an 8 year extension with Vancouver or he gets traded...

On 5/23/2024 at 5:58 PM, canucks curse said:

if Tanev makes it to free agency, we will sign him 

Have you watched the Oilers-Dallas series..,........its a pretty ugly one for CT

On 5/27/2024 at 1:18 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

He can only get a 7 year deal max on the open market.  This is what the Canucks have in terms of an advantage, is that they can offer an 8 year deal.  For a guy that's 26-27 years old, the extra year is huge, adds one more big year of security.  It would be in Hronek's best interest to either sign an 8 year extension with Vancouver in the summer or get traded to a team who can then offer him 8 years.  Similar to Tkachuk.  

So, I doubt very much that he will go to arbitration.  But he also won't take a bridge deal as some have mentioned either.  it's either an 8 year extension with Vancouver or he gets traded...

Klingberg's massive miscue may have an impact.  That dude lost millions! He may just want to lock in his bag.

• Cheers 1

On 5/27/2024 at 1:18 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Arbitration will get him $7M+ given his regular season numbers.  That will 'buy' him 1 year, then put him in the UFA market next year as a 27yo RHD.  If he puts up similar production over 82 games this coming year, he will cash in on the UFA market for 7 years.  1 year from arbitration and 7 years UFA = 8 years total (same as if he signed an 8 year deal now).

The question is whether or not he bets on himself.  We saw how that worked out for Klingberg....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1