[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

1 minute ago, fuzzy said:

Klingberg's massive miscue may have an impact.  That dude lost millions! He may just want to lock in his bag.

Haha nice... great minds think alike.  See my post above 😂

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Have you watched the Oilers-Dallas series..,........its a pretty ugly one for CT

Yup... this series has dropped Tanev's value back down to Earth.  He's probably closer to a $4M defenceman now than the $5M+ that some people were speculating.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yup... this series has dropped Tanev's value back down to Earth.  He's probably closer to a $4M defenceman now than the $5M+ that some people were speculating.

Personally, as much as I loved Tanev back in the Vancouver days, I'd rather not have a guy playing a prominent role on the Canucks who looks overwhelmed against a team the Canucks are going to have to get through to get to the promised land.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Personally, as much as I loved Tanev back in the Vancouver days, I'd rather not have a guy playing a prominent role on the Canucks who looks overwhelmed against a team the Canucks are going to have to get through to get to the promised land.

Agreed! There will be other options available.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah I agree.  End of the day, he's 34, turning 35 later this year.  Unless he was our 3rd pair RHD, I don't see a good fit for where we want to go.  I'd prefer a younger and physically stronger guy in our 2RHD spot.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Would this be a fair trade for both teams?

hoglander Hronek for Necas morrow 

Im not sure who morrow is, but I don know that Hoglander is young, cheap, can score and is feisty.

this year he showed his potential and i think it is high, but he also showed that he can get a little ahead of himself and lose his swagger.

Hoglander has more value than what he can get in a trade and being a cap team that value will be necessary.

• Cheers 1

On 5/24/2024 at 12:44 AM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Others have mentioned this above, but thought I'd link it in for others to see if they would like.  Hronek was pretty abrasive to the press despite being asked reasonable questions in a polite manner.  Dude doesn't seem like a happy guy with Vancouver.  Noticing he didn't answer the question about his contract.  I could be wrong, but this sure looks like he's not coming back (skip to 2:08).  Also, at 9:00ish he also doesn't speak much about coming back other than "I'm restricted, so there's not much I can do".

The dude has gone on record many times that he has a hard time and doesnt like talking to the press. It also seemed like his lack of language skills were causing a bit of his abrasive attitude 

40 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Arbitration will get him $7M+ given his regular season numbers.  That will 'buy' him 1 year, then put him in the UFA market next year as a 27yo RHD.  If he puts up similar production over 82 games this coming year, he will cash in on the UFA market for 7 years.  1 year from arbitration and 7 years UFA = 8 years total (same as if he signed an 8 year deal now).

The question is whether or not he bets on himself.  We saw how that worked out for Klingberg....

it’s not the same. An 8 year deal is guaranteed right from the start. A one year arbitration plus a 7 year extension are technically two different contracts. Lots can happen in between them. I doubt Hronek wants to risk injury with only a one year arbitration award. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Johnny said:

The dude has gone on record many times that he has a hard time and doesnt like talking to the press. It also seemed like his lack of language skills were causing a bit of his abrasive attitude 

Hronek had been in North America for 6 years. He makes enough money to be able to afford an English teacher. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

it’s not the same. An 8 year deal is guaranteed right from the start. A one year arbitration plus a 7 year extension are technically two different contracts. Lots can happen in between them. I doubt Hronek wants to risk injury with only a one year arbitration award. 

Yeah, I know.  That's why I said if he's willing to bet on himself.  If he is willing to, then surely he would be happy to go to arbitration rather than settle for less.  $500k less over 8 years is $4M.  That's not chump change.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek had been in North America for 6 years. He makes enough money to be able to afford an English teacher. 

If you want to be the highest paid defensemen in a hockey hungry market, he damn well better get used to talking to media. It's part of the job, like it or not. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, I know.  That's why I said if he's willing to bet on himself.  If he is willing to, then surely he would be happy to go to arbitration rather than settle for less.  $500k less over 8 years is $4M.  That's not chump change.

Or he could get Klingberged. Tough call

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 10:45 AM, Reznor said:

I think they are keen to keep Myers if the price is right. I would imagine he has a higher chance of being re-signed than Cole - even if Myers will likely be sought after for more than we're willing to pay. But you're right - no matter who is signed, it's really a stop-gap until Willander and co. make it to the bigs.

Totally agree on Juulsen. I think in today's cap-strapped league, you have to play a few guys in lesser roles who don't make much yet can outperform that low salary. Only way you have enough left over to pay the stars.

In the end, I strongly suspect Cole may be sacrificed out of all the defencemen.  After causing 8 goals (2 of them scored by himself in our own net!) that directly led to 2 of our losses and running out of steam by late in the first round, I'd say he can safely be categorized as an "over the hill" player because he clearly could not keep the pace up in the playoffs and was already declining and causing defeats late in the regular season.      I can't even remember the number of times i'd comment in GDT's about him during regular season saying " Poor Cole, he's having another bad game".   It's time he be let go and we move on.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

In the end, I strongly suspect Cole may be sacrificed out of all the defencement.  After causing 8 goals (2 of them scored by himself in our own net!) that directly led to 2 of our losses and running out of steam by late in the first round, I'd say he can safely be categorized as an "over the hill" player because he clearly could not keep the pace up in the playoffs and was already causing defeats late in the regular season.      I can't even remember the number of times i'd comment in GDT's about him during regular season saying " Poor Cole, he's having another bad game".   It's time he be let go and we move on.

I'd counter argue that he is the most likely to come back out of the entire D-core. His play and speed has clearly declined, but he still has the leadership qualities to be a solid 6/7 if he takes a reduced contract to continue playing.

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Ive been in canada for 40 years, my language skills still suck.     Oh i was born here as well

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

kids laughing.gif

Don't feel bad and don't give up because - trust me - there are Canadians born here that can't speak normal english...........

The Great Canadian Road Trip: Song #51/250…Bob and Doug McKenzie: The  Twelve Days of Christmas – Tom MacInnes, Writer

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'd counter argue that he is the most likely to come back out of the entire D-core. His play and speed has clearly declined, but he still has the leadership qualities to be a solid 6/7 if he takes a reduced contract to continue playing.

If they can't find anyone else or afford to replace him, then I'd agree that his leadership and experience hold some form of value but only if they pay him a regular season / low-minute reduced salary, then maybe there's something to discuss, but not full salary he's getting now and not have him play the same volume of minutes as last year. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If they can't find anyone else or afford to replace him, then I'd agree that his leadership and experience hold some form of value but only if they pay him a regular season / low-minute reduced salary, then maybe there's something to discuss, but not full salary he's getting now and not have him play the same volume of minutes as last year. 

agreed. If I had to guess, him and Myers are back and the other D are gone.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I agree. A lot of people seem to be fixated on the mistakes, but he made some huge plays in the Nashville series. 

As you say, I think it's more likely that we see Cole and Myers return, than Hronek and Zadorov. I'm hoping they find a way to bring Z back, but I don't see how they afford Hronek's asking price, plus the "scoring forward" that all the pundits say are on PA's wishlist.

FTR: I also think they bring back Teodors Bļugers... I'm hoping for DJ as well, but I'm not as confident.....

1 hour ago, Johnny said:

Quite frankly, I welcome guys with an attitude and some abrasiveness. After a decade of nice guys on the team, I don't need him to be nice. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

A bridge deal wouldn't be a bad idea in the 7M range, hard to argue he deserves a massive 7-8 year contract at >7M after just one half of a decent season. He's got to show more to deserve a big deal and we could time it nicely to fit in with our other deals/OEL's dead cap dropping.

3 years x 7.25M anyone?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Johnny said:

Im not sure who morrow is, but I don know that Hoglander is young, cheap, can score and is feisty.

this year he showed his potential and i think it is high, but he also showed that he can get a little ahead of himself and lose his swagger.

Hoglander has more value than what he can get in a trade and being a cap team that value will be necessary.

Morrow is a high end rhd prospect looking ready to make the jump head been a Canuck trade target  on our boards for a long time 

Hronek is past the bridge deal part of his career. He is an established defenseman who can produce in the neighborhood of 40 points a season while providing some bite on the back end.

I don't understand how so many people here think he is being traded. He is as much of a sure thing as there is here in returning. He has established himself here as a top pair right handed defenseman. It is insane to think he as an RFA is going to be dealt away. He is going to sign here on a long term deal. 6 to 8 years and he should be asking for north of $ 7m per based off the projections everyone is hearing about the continual cap rise coming.

He has taken the high road at least publicly about not having an injury. There is no chance he goes to arbitration because he will be looked at as a defenseman who for now logical reason went on a massive production decline. He would get murdered in arbitration.

Team friendly deal would be in the $ 6.85m range. I suspect he signs a long term deal closer to $ 7.15m per.

Not getting traded.