[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

6 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

I can pretty much guarantee that the top 6 forward depth in UFA is a lot stronger than a #2 right shot d-man.

Petey does not need an $8m winger. He needs wingers where offense doesn't go to die like Mik. Yes, you will have to spend likely a little bit more than the $5m that Mik makes(or bring in someone like Toffoli).

We are definitely losing Lindy, but Lindy was not playing in our Top 6. If your concern is someone to play with Petey, then Lindholm doesn't really come into the conversation.

You miss the point. In losing a Lindholm you do lose a top 6 player who is also a Jack of all trades. 
he will play top 6 wherever he goes. 
but more importantly we lose flexibility and skilled depth. I agree that there are options in UFA, but as my previous point, you will overpay for quality and if you are relying on lower tier top 6 players who will want term and max value to come in and overplay their contracts you’re in for a rude awakening.

ironically, you state EP doesn’t need that specific type of talent, yet argue Hughes does? 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You miss the point. In losing a Lindholm you do lose a top 6 player who is also a Jack of all trades. 
he will play top 6 wherever he goes. 
but more importantly we lose flexibility and skilled depth. I agree that there are options in UFA, but as my previous point, you will overpay for quality and if you are relying on lower tier top 6 players who will want term and max value to come in and overplay their contracts you’re in for a rude awakening.

ironically, you state EP doesn’t need that specific type of talent, yet argue Hughes does? 

No I'm not missing the point, I understand Lindholm added a ton of depth. He could've played up in the lineup here, but the fact is he wasn't and likely wouldn't be even if we did re-sign him.

My argument is more we can't lose the d depth that Hronek brings, not that Hughes particularly needs him. Though Hronek did make Hughes a better player, just like Hughes made Hronek better.

You bring up depth, and you seem to be okay with completely removing our depth from the defense, to fix the depth in the offense. Our team has young players on the farm that should be making pushes to come up. We are deeper in forwards than defense, we pretty much have zero good depth in defense. Removing Hronek makes that even worse.

Who do you replace Hronek with? Who do you see as a viable option who can take Hronek's load that we can get?

Would you rather have Braden Schneider or Hronek? Would he be a better fit? My point is that the assets you get from a Hronek trade can be used to acquire other assets and those players may fit our needs better than Hronek alone. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Myers is sometimes good, but was always wildly entertaining. On offence, on defence just some crazy entertaining decisions, some wild flailing, even a cup block when needed. Chaos Giraffe is a term of endearment. 

Yes, the War Giraffe was very effective this season and he really came to play in the post season.

With Myers, Soucy and General Zad we had a nice size advantage on even the biggest opposition forwards. The effect was noticeable.

Hope that Myers signs a team friendly deal.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

No I'm not missing the point, I understand Lindholm added a ton of depth. He could've played up in the lineup here, but the fact is he wasn't and likely wouldn't be even if we did re-sign him.

My argument is more we can't lose the d depth that Hronek brings, not that Hughes particularly needs him. Though Hronek did make Hughes a better player, just like Hughes made Hronek better.

You bring up depth, and you seem to be okay with completely removing our depth from the defense, to fix the depth in the offense. Our team has young players on the farm that should be making pushes to come up. We are deeper in forwards than defense, we pretty much have zero good depth in defense. Removing Hronek makes that even worse.

Who do you replace Hronek with? Who do you see as a viable option who can take Hronek's load that we can get?

I’m not okay with it but I believe we can supplement and run a D by  stronger committee next season than we did this season if we make some $$ adjustments.

PA mentioned he wants Hronek to run his own line next season. I’d agree with that and it would also warrant to some degree a fraction of Hronek’s potential raise. Soooooo, if PA is publicly considering splitting the D, that means that he views QH as being potentially just as good with a “lesser” linemate than Hronek. Which then begs the question who replaces Hronek? 

don’t take offense to what I’m saying and please don’t reach and say I’m willing to cut out depth. I never said that and I don’t  imply it either.  My points are based on what we heard from the presser and the fact that we have to make decisions while also effectively supporting EP and re-establishing depth all around. Sometimes you have to lose top tier talent $$$ to add the requisite pieces that make you even fractionally and functionally stronger. 

again, I don’t want to lose Hronek and in fact I think he extends here. But the cost will be relative in the future to us making other sacrifices and I hope you understand what those could be too

Edited by RWJC
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Yes, the War Giraffe was very effective this season and he really came to play in the post season.

With Myers, Soucy and General Zad we had a nice size advantage on even the biggest opposition forwards. The effect was noticeable.

Hope that Myers signs a team friendly deal.

General Zad!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Obviously our defense was better due to a combination of both. You can have great systems, but if you don't have the skill to run those systems then you are gonna suck. Just like if you have all the skill with no systems, you need both.

Hronek is not someone easily replaced. He can't be replaced by a Juulsen or a Myers. As soon as they are asked to do too much, their game breaks down, no matter how great the systems are.

Hronek is not someone easily replaced

Second half Hronek and playoff Hronek can easily be replaced. What did he get in the second half of the season?  10 points?  In the second half of the season he

continuously defers to Hughes, letting Quinn lug the puck up the ice. Either Juulsen or Myers could have done this.

I really liked Hronek's play in the first half of the season.

Both RT and Hronek have stated that he was not playing injured.

Why the huge difference in play from the first half of the season to the second half.

I can't help but get some bad Loui Erikssen type vibes from this player.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m not okay with it but I believe we can supplement and run a D by  stronger committee next season than we did this season if we make some $$ adjustments.

PA mentioned he wants Hronek to run his own line next season. I’d agree with that and it would also warrant to some degree a fraction of Hronek’s potential raise. Soooooo, if PA is publicly considering splitting the D, that means that he views QH as being potentially just as good with a “lesser” linemate than Hronek. Which then begs the question who replaces Hronek? 

don’t take offense to what I’m saying and please don’t reach and say I’m willing to cut out depth. I never said that and I don’t  imply it either.  My points are based on what we heard from the presser and the fact that we have to make decisions while also effectively supporting EP and re-establishing depth all around. Sometimes you have to lose top tier talent $$$ to add the requisite pieces that make you even fractionally and functionally stronger. 

again, I don’t want to lose Hronek and in fact I think he extends here. But the cost will be relative in the future to us making other sacrifices and I hope you understand what those could be too

I don't take offense, and I didn't mean to come across as of I did. Things don't come across the best over text.

I also didn't think you were truly okay with cutting depth, it was more of a "well we cut the depth at our weakest point, to helpt with depth where we are actually stronger".

I definitely understand we can't have everything, especially with this terrible dead cap we are going to have coming up. I just personally think we are stronger in forward depth than we are in defense depth, and I really don't want to go back to bleeding goals.

Yes, Hronek could bring us some good pieces, but chances are those would be a mid round pick and a good forward. If we had players under contract that had shown they could step up, then I would happily accept a Hronek trade, but we don't.

Right now we have Hughes and Soucy, we need 4 more defensemen if we trade Hronek. And not 4 defensemen that are fringe 4-5 d-men, if we trade Hronek, we need a #2. Whether that #2 plays with Hughes, or as you said, runs their own pairing. I don't think it's a bad idea to have Hronek run his own pairing, it then allows you to have one of Hughes or Hronek on the ice for 45ish minutes of the game. This might allow you to fill the holes with a couple cheaper options.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Artemus said:

Second half Hronek and playoff Hronek can easily be replaced. What did he get in the second half of the season?  10 points?  In the second half of the season he

continuously defers to Hughes, letting Quinn lug the puck up the ice. Either Juulsen or Myers could have done this.

Why the huge difference in play from the first half of the season to the second half.

He was 100% injured. Players do not need to relay that information to the public, and I am sure they can request a team to not say anything as it is their medical information.

He had a massive brace on his arm when they did the Jersey off our backs on the last home game.

He didn't want to shoot the half last of the season, where in the first half he was constantly letting it go. Him being injured is the only thing that makes sense.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I've seen a few people talk about Hronek wearing a brace and am wondering if it is the same side/shoulder that was previously injured?

possibly no one is saying, he hurt an arm for sure, he refused to shoot the puck from February until the last 5 minutes of game 7 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

1. TRADE

TO CAR

Hronek

Milky

To VAN

JK

Necas

2024 2nd

cap neutral trade

2.TRADE

To CHI

JK -4.8

To VAN

2024 CHI 2nd

3.TRADE

To VGK

Hoglander  -1.1

Hirose

To VAN

Theadore ( plays R and L, one more year at 5.2 then maybe he takes a home town discount to like 6 x 5 to say in Van?- for of kicking the can down the road, VGK needs cap space and cheap top 6 forwards)

rights to Chandler

CAP SPACE =  23.7+ 4.8 (JK) + 1.1 (NH) = 29.6

Necas 6.75x3yrs

Chandler 5 x 5

Theadore 5.2

Dillon 2.75 x 3

Myers 2.75

Silovs 1.5

Tanev 4.5 x 3

Letteremaki ELC .85

= 29.3

0.3 in cap space 

Chandler Petey Necas

Letteremaki Miller Brock

Suter Bluegger Garland

Podz Aman PDG

Hughes Tanev

Soucy Theadore

Dillon Myers 

Demko

Silovs

+ 2 more 2nd round picks 

Notes: 3 elite D men

Chandler is like a top 6 Joshua 

bottom six could benefit from a big man upgrade but with chandler, bluegger, Suter that is 6 C in the line up = a lot of versatility

Edited by canucks curse

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I've seen a few people talk about Hronek wearing a brace and am wondering if it is the same side/shoulder that was previously injured?

Good point about this brace.

Is the brace needed because of the same reoccurring side/shoulder injury that sidelined Hronek last season?

If so, this could be an issue that will become a pattern with this player.

I am going to extrapolate a little at this point.

Would hate to sign him to an expensive, long term contract and then have this alleged shoulder problem end his career and then see him finish his contract on LTIR.

Perhaps it's time to cut bait and move FH.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm NOT trading Hronek for a Petey winger;

Not if its my choice!  We have young wingers Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki & Hoglander to groom in to such positions.  

You don't have to.......you trade hronek for the best deal you can get.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Not if its my choice!  We have young wingers Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki & Hoglander to groom in to such positions.  

to groom? so couple more years until miller is 35? podkolzin have not shown an ounce of offence since his 1st year.. hoglander completely disappeared in the playoff.. Lekkerimaki by all account is not ready for next season.. so we are throwing the white flag for next season and hope they are ready in 2 years?

41 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I mean, even if we added a new Petey winger we still have 2 other top 6 slots that'll need filling. Cause right now 2 of them are occupied by Hoglander and Suter. Neither of which are top 6. Hoglander might be, but Suter sure as shit isn't. He just has chemistry with Miller and Boeser. But so did PDG at one point. Our top 6 has 3 actual top 6 talent. So I'd be absolutely fine adding Necas if his cap is 7mil or lower. We can still squeeze Lekk, Podz or Hogs in there somewhere if they ever develop into top 6 talent. Boeser is also expiring next summer. So maybe if his ask is too high we let him walk and now we are back to 3 top 6 forwards. I don't think we are in a position to be turning down top 6 additions. Given we averaged like 18-20 shots in the playoffs recently.

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I mean, even if we added a new Petey winger we still have 2 other top 6 slots that'll need filling. Cause right now 2 of them are occupied by Hoglander and Suter. Neither of which are top 6. Hoglander might be, but Suter sure as shit isn't. He just has chemistry with Miller and Boeser. But so did PDG at one point. Our top 6 has 3 actual top 6 talent. So I'd be absolutely fine adding Necas if his cap is 7mil or lower. We can still squeeze Lekk, Podz or Hogs in there somewhere if they ever develop into top 6 talent. Boeser is also expiring next summer. So maybe if his ask is too high we let him walk and now we are back to 3 top 6 forwards. I don't think we are in a position to be turning down top 6 additions. Given we averaged like 18-20 shots in the playoffs recently.

I just don't get the continuous insistence from people that hogz isn't a top 6 player.  He fast, highly skilled, plays with skill at a fast pace and scored 24 goals last season.  I mean, what constitutes a top 6 winger if not that.

It feels like people are creating a problem just so they can try and fix it

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I just don't get the continuous insistence from people that hogz isn't a top 6 player.  He fast, highly skilled, plays with skill at a fast pace and scored 24 goals last season.  I mean, what constitutes a top 6 winger if not that.

It feels like people are creating a problem just so they can try and fix it

Hogz has shown he can hang with EP. Just need one more player, either C or W, with a skill set that creatively benefits EP’s and has both speed and finish. Give Hogz more time and he could be the new Burrows. At least it’s worth experimenting further with. 

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

Hronek had 16 points in his last 41 games, so he wasn't playing at a top pairing level at all.  He might be able to get more points if he goes to a team that uses him on the first unit power play.  But $8 million to ride shotgun to Hughes is way too much.  Even Allvin said that he wanted to split them up, implying they are looking for a new partner for Hughes.

If Myers get signed and we have Juulsen as well, then we would have two RHD.  We'd need two more.  One can be acquired via a trade and another one through free agency.  The assets we can get from Hronek can be flipped to get another RHD.  Hoglander looks to be another guy that can be traded in a package for a RHD.  Not sure Tocchet wants to roll with Hoglander in the top 6 next season.  We need more size and grit up front.  

Hronek for Lawson Crouse would be a dream.  Utah literally has zero defencemen signed for next season.  We could also trade Hronek to Utah for picks and prospects and then flip those assets for someone like Artem Zub.  Lots of options IMO on the table...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Hogz has shown he can hang with EP. Just need one more player, either C or W, with a skill set that creatively benefits EP’s and has both speed and finish. Give Hogz more time and he could be the new Burrows. At least it’s worth experimenting further with. 

Hoglander was scratched in the playoffs.  So not sure he is top 6 quality on a cup contender.  Most likely he will be shopped to the highest bidder...