[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They should package Hoglander with Hronek and get a power forward in return, or picks and prospects to flip for a top 4 RHD.  Or use Hoglander to get rid of Mikheyev instead of having to buy him out.  Lots of options IMO.  I envision Lekkerimaki making the team next season.  His upside is much higher than Hoglander.  You play Lekkerimaki with Petey and get them a power forward.  

This is putting way too much reliance on Lekkerimaki moving over to North America and stepping right into a role that will have a lot of expectations.

If Lekkerimaki can make the team next year and perform in the top 6, then that's awesome, but the likelihood isn't all that high. You don't trade a guy like Hogs because of the possibility it works out.

Hell, Hogs doesn't even have to play with Petey if Allvin can find a power forward type and Lekkerimaki looks good. Hogs is a very versatile player, he can play on the 3rd line, or he could easily play with Miller and Boes, who also need another winger. He's more of a fit on that line that Suter is.

Trading Hogs isn't going to get you a lot in return, and packaging him as a sweetener to get rid of Mik is terrible asset management. Hogs is a young player starting to come into his own, you don't trade those players to dump cap when you are in our situation of not having an over abundance of young up and coming players.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Screw said:

It would be foolish to trade Hronek.   I’m sure they will get a deal done that works for both sides.  The guy is a legit top pairing guy.  He slumped in the second half like the entire team did.

I think he will get signed as well because I think Allvin and Rutherford understand how difficult it would be to get a top pairing RHD. 

• Like 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I think he will get signed as well because I think Allvin and Rutherford understand how difficult it would be to get a top pairing RHD. 

Yeah, unless a concrete plan and replacement is in place, Hronek won't be moved unless he's literally not gonna accept a deal under $8M AAV.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, unless a concrete plan and replacement is in place, Hronek won't be moved unless he's literally not gonna accept a deal under $8M AAV.

I think the rumour of him or his agent asking for 8M is simply a part of negotiations. If it’s not then he’s delusional. Because he’s simply not an 8M type of player. I don’t care if he’s RHD. It’s crazy to say. But a player in his age range doesn’t become available very often. Especially considering he’s playing in a premium position. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I think the rumour of him or his agent asking for 8M is simply a part of negotiations. If it’s not then he’s delusional. Because he’s simply not an 8M type of player. I don’t care if he’s RHD. It’s crazy to say. But a player in his age range doesn’t become available very often. Especially considering he’s playing in a premium position. 

That's what I think too... but who knows.  I have him penciled in for around $7.25M AAV.  I think it's a fair deal for both sides moving forward.  The cap rising will make this the equivalent of a $6.xx AAV cap hit in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They should package Hoglander with Hronek and get a power forward in return, or picks and prospects to flip for a top 4 RHD.  Or use Hoglander to get rid of Mikheyev instead of having to buy him out.  Lots of options IMO.  I envision Lekkerimaki making the team next season.  His upside is much higher than Hoglander.  You play Lekkerimaki with Petey and get them a power forward.  

0 shot lekerimakki plays in the nhl next year

he hasnt even had a chance to play a season on north american ice yet

27 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

He played 6 games in Abbotsford last year. Also, how many games in North America did Höglander play before he made the NHL roster as a 20 year old?  I’ll give you a hint. ZERO. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He played 6 games in Abbotsford last year. Also, how many games in North America did Höglander play before he made the NHL roster as a 20 year old?  I’ll give you a hint. ZERO. 

This is a better team than the one Hogs got on as a rookie; that will make a difference.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, greenbean30 said:

This is putting way too much reliance on Lekkerimaki moving over to North America and stepping right into a role that will have a lot of expectations.

If Lekkerimaki can make the team next year and perform in the top 6, then that's awesome, but the likelihood isn't all that high. You don't trade a guy like Hogs because of the possibility it works out.

Hell, Hogs doesn't even have to play with Petey if Allvin can find a power forward type and Lekkerimaki looks good. Hogs is a very versatile player, he can play on the 3rd line, or he could easily play with Miller and Boes, who also need another winger. He's more of a fit on that line that Suter is.

Trading Hogs isn't going to get you a lot in return, and packaging him as a sweetener to get rid of Mik is terrible asset management. Hogs is a young player starting to come into his own, you don't trade those players to dump cap when you are in our situation of not having an over abundance of young up and coming players.

We already have the best 3rd line in hockey. So we don’t need Höglander to play on the 3rd line. Suter actually is fine with Miller/Boeser. Suter wasn’t the one who got scratched in the playoffs. 

Allvin said he needs a true top 6 winger for Petey. So that takes Höglander off that line as well. That leaves Höglander on the 4th line. 

I’d rather have banger and crashers on the 4th line. That leaves Höglander in the press box. 

We could package Höglander and Hronek to get a true top 6 forward for Petey. 

4 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

old management vs new management

old management couldnt wait to throw prospects into the nhl

this group lets them cook

hoglander was also way more physically ready, lekerimakki is not

it makes 0 sense to burn a year of lekerimakis ELC. Let him cook, dominate the AHL, then bring him up when hes ready to actually make an impact on his cheap ELC

Lekkerimäki dominated the SHL as a 19 year old. Also dominated in the world junior tournament. Won the MVP. There is no reason to think he can’t jump straight into the NHL as a 20 year old. 

Didn’t Brock Boeser jump to the NHL as a 20 year old and score 29 goals and almost won the Calder? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, greenbean30 said:

I'm hoping to see Hogs on the 3rd line next year with Pods (and an affordable and reliable 3rd line centre).

If Allvin can't grab a top line winger for Petey then we could try:

Garland - Miller - Boeser

UFA/trade- Petey - Joshua 

Hogs - UFA/trade - Pods     --> Only need 1 or 2 year C until Raty is ready 

Mik (if we can't trade him) - Suter - UFA

Lindholm is too pricey to keep for 3rd line C, and putting him with Petey moves one of them to the wing, which i don't think will work long term as IMO Petey is overpriced as a winger and needs a bonafide scoring winger if he's at C.

2 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

I'm hoping to see Hogs on the 3rd line next year with Pods (and an affordable and reliable 3rd line centre).

If Allvin can't grab a top line winger for Petey then we could try:

Garland - Miller - Boeser

UFA/trade- Petey - Joshua 

Hogs - UFA/trade - Pods     --> Only need 1 or 2 year C until Raty is ready 

Mik (if we can't trade him) - Suter - UFA

Lindholm is too pricey to keep for 3rd line C, and putting him with Petey moves one of them to the wing, which i don't think will work long term as IMO Petey is overpriced as a winger and needs a bonafide scoring winger if he's at C.

He'll be our 2C for 8 years, freeing up Petey/Miller and providing excellent variety and depth in the playoffs, giving us straight Cs for defensive draws on both sides. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Lekkerimäki dominated the SHL as a 19 year old. Also dominated in the world junior tournament. Won the MVP. There is no reason to think he can’t jump straight into the NHL as a 20 year old. 

Didn’t Brock Boeser jump to the NHL as a 20 year old and score 29 goals and almost won the Calder? 

Lekkerimaki didnt do anything close to what Petey did in the SHL

Boeser was also much more physically ready

and to my earlier point - this management group does not rush prospects. absolutely no reason to bring him up to the NHL when he will be undisputably better once hes had 1-2 seasons in the AHL first. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

for me it’s not so much defensive of him but more so how we put together another experienced and reliable club with players that outperform their value. Hogz provides that value and for cheap. We need some guys who have enough NHL experience to flesh out this roster and shouldn’t yet be relying on Aman Karlsson Bains etc etc to be considered locks for the roster. Hogz would be. He’s a level above given what he’s produced and that type of player we need more of, despite his stature. we can always pick up bigger bodies towards trade deadline to enhance our 3/4 if need be, but we definitely have to remain in playoff position prior to and trading a guy who is money for the money being paid him is a step backwards imho. Especially if we don’t have a viable replacement production and versatility wise.
Just the facts. 

I just think we are too close to being a lottery team to be gambling on tweeners overperforming their state, hoping Hogs can keep shooting 20% isn't ideal. If we had lost Hughes, Miller or Boeser for a meaningful amount of time last year, I don't think we even make the playoffs. Demko went down late, by the time he was injured all we had to do was play .500 hockey to stay top 2 in the Pacific. But it's not even really about dropping Hogs. It's about adding a true top 6 to the line with Petey and Hogs. I am more trying to replace Mikheyev. Suter as well I'd love to see in the bottom 6 in a perfect world. The final 4 teams in the league have at least 5 legit top 6 talent in their top 6. We have 3 legit top 6 players.

With all this said. I don't even know what we are losing yet. Hronek's future is in the air, hell all of the UFAs are still in the air. It's hard to gauge what we should be prioritizing til July 1st. Just trying to be an open book on what we look for. I don't write off improvements in the top 6 or the top 4. Ideally we add to both if at all possible.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I just think we are too close to being a lottery team to be gambling on tweeners overperforming their state, hoping Hogs can keep shooting 20% isn't ideal. If we had lost Hughes, Miller or Boeser for a meaningful amount of time last year, I don't think we even make the playoffs. Demko went down late, by the time he was injured all we had to do was play .500 hockey to stay top 2 in the Pacific. But it's not even really about dropping Hogs. It's about adding a true top 6 to the line with Petey and Hogs. I am more trying to replace Mikheyev. Suter as well I'd love to see in the bottom 6 in a perfect world. The final 4 teams in the league have at least 5 legit top 6 talent in their top 6. We have 3 legit top 6 players.

With all this said. I don't even know what we are losing yet. Hronek's future is in the air, hell all of the UFAs are still in the air. It's hard to gauge what we should be prioritizing til July 1st. Just trying to be an open book on what we look for. I don't write off improvements in the top 6 or the top 4. Ideally we add to both if at all possible.

Wtf kind of dumb post did I just read? The division champs are close to being a lottery team? 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

old management vs new management

old management couldnt wait to throw prospects into the nhl

this group lets them cook

hoglander was also way more physically ready, lekerimakki is not

it makes 0 sense to burn a year of lekerimakis ELC. Let him cook, dominate the AHL, then bring him up when hes ready to actually make an impact on his cheap ELC

Great take. Exactly the approach we need to take and not follow in the previous management's footsteps. We're also not that desperate. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Wtf kind of dumb post did I just read? The division champs are close to being a lottery team? 

Yes. If we lost Miller or Boeser for a lengthy period of time, we are ass.

58 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We already have the best 3rd line in hockey. So we don’t need Höglander to play on the 3rd line. Suter actually is fine with Miller/Boeser. Suter wasn’t the one who got scratched in the playoffs. 

Allvin said he needs a true top 6 winger for Petey. So that takes Höglander off that line as well. That leaves Höglander on the 4th line. 

I’d rather have banger and crashers on the 4th line. That leaves Höglander in the press box. 

We could package Höglander and Hronek to get a true top 6 forward for Petey. 

We currently have only Garland signed from this year's 3rd line, with a pretty good possibility Joshua asks for too much. So we don't have that line currently, could we? Yes it's possible, it's also possible that we don't.

Hogs is more of a top 6 player than Suter, and would likely produce a lot more than Suter did on the LW of Miller and Boeser. You are all about top 6 players, and want to leave Suter on the top line?

Currently Petey has no wingers if you don't think Hoglander can play there. If Suter is okay playing with Miller and Boeser, why isn't Hoglander okay playing with Petey and a new top 6 they can sign on free agency?

You seem dead set that it's 4th line or no where for Hoglander, and that is definitely not the case. We have 3 top 6 spots currently open, and the other wing on the 3rd line. Hell, it's possible Garland moves up the line up and you have both wings open on the 3rd line. Hogs is a developing, young player who just put up 24 goals while playing a lot of 4th line minutes, making $1.1m. He is a guy we need to keep due to production per dollar with how our cap is.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yes. If we lost Miller or Boeser for a lengthy period of time, we are ass.

If Colorado lost Makar and Rantanen for a lengthy period of time

Tamp Bay lost Kucherov and Hedman

Florida lost Barkov and Reinhart

Dallas lost Heiskenen and Robertson

New York lost Panarin and Zibanejad

What is your point exactly? Boeser played injured since round 1 game 3, and Pettersson played injured since January. We accomplished a lot. We were technically 2 goals away from the final four. Your post is a horrendously terrible take backed by literally nothing but negativity. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Pettersson played right away.Hughes too.Who knows

Edited by Lemon Face