[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

14 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

If Colorado lost Makar and Rantanen for a lengthy period of time

Tamp Bay lost Kucherov and Hedman

Florida lost Barkov and Reinhart

Dallas lost Heiskenen and Robertson

New York lost Panarin and Zibanejad

What is your point exactly? Boeser played injured since round 1 game 3, and Pettersson played injured since January. We accomplished a lot. We were technically 2 goals away from the final four. Your post is a horrendously terrible take backed by literally nothing but negativity. 

People are so quick to forget management didn't even believe in this team. Rutherford said himself for this team to make the playoffs everything needs to go right. And everything did go right. We only lost Demko after we pretty much locked in our playoff spot. Boeser, Miller, Petey and Hughes were all healthy for most if not all of the season.

And lets not pretend Colorado wasn't without their captain the entire season, and last season. You know damn well those teams could survive injuries to their stars far better than we could have. And I only said if we lost Boeser or Miller. Not both. But if we lost both we're probably drafting top 3.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He played 6 games in Abbotsford last year. Also, how many games in North America did Höglander play before he made the NHL roster as a 20 year old?  I’ll give you a hint. ZERO. 

That doesn't mean Lekkeramaki will have the same fate where he just bypasses the AHL, straight into the lineup. For every case of Hoglander, theres 5-10 Ratys, Rathbones that thought they can be put straight in the lineup right away.

Judging by this management team, i don't think they are gonna be rushing any prospects in the lineup anytime soon. Leks will put his time in the AHL

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

People are so quick to forget management didn't even believe in this team. Rutherford said himself for this team to make the playoffs everything needs to go right. And everything did go right. We only lost Demko after we pretty much locked in our playoff spot. Boeser, Miller, Petey and Hughes were all healthy for most if not all of the season.

And lets not pretend Colorado wasn't without their captain the entire season, and last season. You know damn well those teams could survive injuries to their stars far better than we could have. And I only said if we lost Boeser or Miller. Not both. But if we lost both we're probably drafting top 3.

Let's also not pretend that their captain being out didn't give them the extra cap space to sign important pieces like extending Toews to a 49 mil contract and Nichuskin to 8 years. Again, what is your fucking point? Yes, if our stars are out, so is our team. This is the case with every single team in professional sports, except maybe one outlier here and there.

Colorado lost their 4th best player and it completely gassed their team. So one last time, what is your point?

We played with Pettersson on 1 leg and Demko out for 6 weeks and were still in the Presidents Trophy hunt, and clinched a division title and went to game 7 of the 2nd round.... How in God's name are you complaining?

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Let's also not pretend that their captain being out didn't give them the extra cap space to sign important pieces like extending Toews to a 49 mil contract and Nichuskin to 8 years. Again, what is your fucking point? Yes, if our stars are out, so is our team. This is the case with every single team in professional sports, except maybe one outlier here and there.

Colorado lost their 4th best player and it completely gassed their team. So one last time, what is your point?

We played with Pettersson on 1 leg and Demko out for 6 weeks and were still in the Presidents Trophy hunt, and clinched a division title and went to game 7 of the 2nd round.... How in God's name are you complaining?

He’s not complaining. 
His basic premise is that our top 6 is not strong enough in comparison to final 4 playoff clubs. We can all agree on that.

Its the methodology as to how we achieve that improvement that is the crux to all these debates.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

He’s not complaining. 
His basic premise is that our top 6 is not strong enough in comparison to final 4 playoff clubs. We can all agree on that.

Its the methodology as to how we achieve that improvement that is the crux to all these debates.

How would you all like to see a top 9 of:

Buchnevich-Pettersson-Vatrano

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

It can happen!  Follow along here 🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

How would you all like to see a top 9 of:

Buchnevich-Pettersson-Vatrano

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

It can happen!  Follow along here 🤣

My concern is the cohesion and chemistry being affected by major roster turnover. We played strong because everybody bought in to RT’s concept of playing responsibly and for each other. Not saying it can’t be duplicated again, just have to be careful how we get there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, greenbean30 said:

We currently have only Garland signed from this year's 3rd line, with a pretty good possibility Joshua asks for too much. So we don't have that line currently, could we? Yes it's possible, it's also possible that we don't.

Hogs is more of a top 6 player than Suter, and would likely produce a lot more than Suter did on the LW of Miller and Boeser. You are all about top 6 players, and want to leave Suter on the top line?

Currently Petey has no wingers if you don't think Hoglander can play there. If Suter is okay playing with Miller and Boeser, why isn't Hoglander okay playing with Petey and a new top 6 they can sign on free agency?

You seem dead set that it's 4th line or no where for Hoglander, and that is definitely not the case. We have 3 top 6 spots currently open, and the other wing on the 3rd line. Hell, it's possible Garland moves up the line up and you have both wings open on the 3rd line. Hogs is a developing, young player who just put up 24 goals while playing a lot of 4th line minutes, making $1.1m. He is a guy we need to keep due to production per dollar with how our cap is.

Suter can play centre or wing, kills penalties and can even play on the power play. So no Höglander isn’t more of a top 6 forward than Suter. Suter compliments his line and is a much better defensive player than Höglander. 

If you are playing in the bottom 6 you better be able to penalty kill. The only guy that can get away with not penalty killing is Garland because he can drive his own line. 

We will re-sign either Lindholm or Blueger. If we let Joshua walk then we will replace him with another Joshua just like Allvin said. Podkolzin could even be that guy. He’s big and strong and can penalty kill. He’d be perfect on the 3rd line replacing Joshua. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I am not complaining. I am just saying our top 6 can use more ammo and that our team can't survive injuries nearly as well as the better teams in the league. That's not even really a wild concept, given our own management agrees with the sentiment. I don't know how I can make my point more clear. We need top 6 help. Lol. The whole debate stemmed from whether or not we should add top 6 via trade or hope guys like Hogs and Podz develop into those roles for us. Both sides have merit. I do think Hogs has another gear and I think he adds a forechecking style that'll help retrieve pucks for Petey and I want to see more Podz in general.

49 minutes ago, RWJC said:

He’s not complaining. 

8 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I am not complaining. I am just saying our top 6 can use more ammo and that our team can't survive injuries nearly as well as the better teams in the league. That's not even really a wild concept, given our own management agrees with the sentiment. I don't know how I can make my point more clear. We need top 6 help. Lol. The whole debate stemmed from whether or not we should add top 6 via trade or hope guys like Hogs and Podz develop into those roles for us. Both sides have merit. I do think Hogs has another gear and I think he adds a forechecking style that'll help retrieve pucks for Petey and I want to see more Podz in general.

A world where we keep Lindholm for 2C duties makes the team look a lot better and deeper, that's for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

A world where we keep Lindholm for 2C duties makes the team look a lot better and deeper, that's for sure. 

Lindy at C and Petey on his wing. Then we don’t need to go find a winger. We know Petey is a great centre and an awesome winger. It’s such an advantage for us to have both Petey and Miller who are so good at either wing of centre. Lindy is only a centre though. 
Maybe we trade Mik for Pageau? Then no need to keep Lindy. 

• Like 2

Suter can play centre or wing, kills penalties and can even play on the power play. So no Höglander isn’t more of a top 6 forward than Suter. Suter compliments his line and is a much better defensive player than Höglander. 

If you are playing in the bottom 6 you better be able to penalty kill. The only guy that can get away with not penalty killing is Garland because he can drive his own line. 

We will re-sign either Lindholm or Blueger. If we let Joshua walk then we will replace him with another Joshua just like Allvin said. Podkolzin could even be that guy. He’s big and strong and can penalty kill. He’d be perfect on the 3rd line replacing Joshua. 

Suter is a career 3rd liner, his career numbers show it. The fact he can play center or wing and kills penalties isn't proof he is a top 6 player in the slightest, it's just proof he is versatile.

Hogs in his 23 year old season just tied Suters best year in point production, while playing mostly 4th line minutes. If Hogs played 60 games with Miller and Boes, he would've blown passed that 36 point total.

Hogs is more offensively talented than Suter, and definitely is more suited for a top 6 role, especially as his career goes on. Top 6 wingers do not need to kill penalties, it is not a requirement.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lindy at C and Petey on his wing. Then we don’t need to go find a winger. We know Petey is a great centre and an awesome winger. It’s such an advantage for us to have both Petey and Miller who are so good at either wing of centre. Lindy is only a centre though. 
Maybe we trade Mik for Pageau? Then no need to keep Lindy. 

Miller may also move to the wing in the next few years. Keeping Lindholm is good move in my opinion. You can never have too many centers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greenbean30 said:

Suter is a career 3rd liner, his career numbers show it. The fact he can play center or wing and kills penalties isn't proof he is a top 6 player in the slightest, it's just proof he is versatile.

Hogs in his 23 year old season just tied Suters best year in point production, while playing mostly 4th line minutes. If Hogs played 60 games with Miller and Boes, he would've blown passed that 36 point total.

Hogs is more offensively talented than Suter, and definitely is more suited for a top 6 role, especially as his career goes on. Top 6 wingers do not need to kill penalties, it is not a requirement.

Höglander was in the press box for playoff games. Suter wasn’t. So the coaches have a different opinion than you. Suter compliments Miller/Boeser. Höglander does not. That’s why Hoglander doesn’t play with them. Because he’s not as defensively responsible. Miller’s line was used as the shutdown line. That’s why Suter was on that line. 

Suter is a guy that can play up and down the lineup in any situation. Höglander cannot. A one dimensional small winger can easily be replaced. They should trade him now while his value is high. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filthy animal said:

That doesn't mean Lekkeramaki will have the same fate where he just bypasses the AHL, straight into the lineup. For every case of Hoglander, theres 5-10 Ratys, Rathbones that thought they can be put straight in the lineup right away.

Judging by this management team, i don't think they are gonna be rushing any prospects in the lineup anytime soon. Leks will put his time in the AHL

Ratys?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We are a better team with a huge gap in the top 6. We have room for two new top 6 forwards. Not just one. 

Karlsson lit up the SHL too and didn't crack the NHL the following year.  This season he had a great year in the AHL getting 60 points in 60 games. He also plays a well-rounded game

Despite all of that he still couldn't crack more than a half-dozen games(4 regular season and 2 playoff). I don't think management is gonna rush anyone. 

It's up to the prospects to force their hand.  They all will get the opportunity to come pre-season.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Karlsson lit up the SHL too and didn't crack the NHL the following year.  This season he had a great year in the AHL getting 60 points in 60 games. He also plays a well-rounded game

Despite all of that he still couldn't crack more than a half-dozen games(4 regular season and 2 playoff). I don't think management is gonna rush anyone. 

It's up to the prospects to force their hand.  They all will get the opportunity to come pre-season.

Karlsson was 22 when he "lit" up the SHL.  Lekkerimaki is 19.  That's a pretty big difference don't you think?  Karlsson getting 60 points in the AHL at 24 years old isn't that big of a deal.  Lots of older guys light it up in the AHL and never make it to the NHL.  If you are still in the AHL at 24 years old your chances of making the NHL are almost zero.

Lekkerimaki is doing things in the SHL at 19 that most players haven't done.  Lekkerimaki was 31st in SHL scoring this season at 19 years old.  The next youngest player who had more points than him was 23.  He was also 6th in goals scored, the next youngest guy with more goals was 24.  He was the MVP at the world juniors.  He is literally a star in the making.  His shot is elite level, better than alot of current NHLers.  Which is why he has such an advantage over a guy like Hoglander, who doesn't have a great shot.  Boeser is elite because of his shot.  Lekkerimaki is going to be the same IMO.  He has top 6 material in the NHL written all over him...

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

Karlsson was 22 when he "lit" up the SHL.  Lekkerimaki is 19.  That's a pretty big difference don't you think?  Karlsson getting 60 points in the AHL at 24 years old isn't that big of a deal.  Lots of older guys light it up in the AHL and never make it to the NHL.  If you are still in the AHL at 24 years old your chances of making the NHL are almost zero.

Lekkerimaki is doing things in the SHL at 19 that most players haven't done.  Lekkerimaki was 31st in SHL scoring this season at 19 years old.  The next youngest player who had more points than him was 23.  He was also 6th in goals scored, the next youngest guy with more goals was 24.  He was the MVP at the world juniors.  He is literally a star in the making.  His shot is elite level, better than alot of current NHLers.  Which is why he has such an advantage over a guy like Hoglander, who doesn't have a great shot.  Boeser is elite because of his shot.  Lekkerimaki is going to be the same IMO.  He has top 6 material in the NHL written all over him...

My point was spots are earned, not gifted.

What's also the case is we aren't a rebuilding team anymore. The vital needs we have as a playoff team need to be answered immediately and the only surefire way to do that is to acquire players with top 6 credentials and not count on potential.  We can't waste time developing players at vital areas of need at the NHL level like the top 6.

They only spots they will probably look from within is the bottom 6. They have a lot of guys that are gonna push for those spots. They move up and then JL has more opportunity in the AHL to grow with guys moving up.

You go out and acquire actual top 6 forwards. If JL somehow proves himself in the pre-season afterwards guess what? we're loaded and are what's a weakness is now a strength.

Also you should cut LK some slack he hasn't been in the AHL very long like you are trying to indicate lol. He just played his 2nd year in the AHL and was a PPG player with 60 points. That's an impressive sophomore year.  Dakota Joshua didn't break pro till 24 and spent time in the ECHL that year. LK has only very improved each year ever since we've got him. If we're moving on from Joshua and want to spend the cap on addressing top 6 needs we're gonna need to look from within in the bottom 6 and LK is among those who will be granted opportunities for the work they have put in. 

But like I said it's up to the prospects to prove. Spots are earned. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Allvin thought that guy was Hoglander then why did he state that they needed another legit top 6 guy?

Yeah, I don't think Allvin sees Höglander as a legit top six winger for Petey. But that doesn't mean that Höglander can't grow into that player. He's just not that guy today. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

My point was spots are earned, not gifted.

What's also the case is we aren't a rebuilding team anymore. The vital needs we have as a playoff team need to be answered immediately and the only surefire way to do that is to acquire players with top 6 credentials and not count on potential.  We can't waste time developing players at vital areas of need at the NHL level like the top 6.

They only spots they will probably look from within is the bottom 6. They have a lot of guys that are gonna push for those spots. They move up and then JL has more opportunity in the AHL to grow with guys moving up.

You go out and acquire actual top 6 forwards. If JL somehow proves himself in the pre-season afterwards guess what? we're loaded and are what's a weakness is now a strength.

Also you should cut LK some slack he hasn't been in the AHL very long like you are trying to indicate lol. He just played his 2nd year in the AHL and was a PPG player with 60 points. That's an impressive sophomore year.  Dakota Joshua didn't break pro till 24 and spent time in the ECHL that year. LK has only very improved each year ever since we've got him. If we're moving on from Joshua and want to spend the cap on addressing top 6 needs we're gonna need to look from within in the bottom 6 and LK is among those who will be granted opportunities for the work they have put in. 

But like I said it's up to the prospects to prove. Spots are earned. 

I think that if Lekkerimäki takes a spot from training camp, then yeah, he deserves a spot on the team. But anything but that, then he goes down to Abby and learns the pro North American game. 

12 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

Sure, but did you see the advanced stats of the Suter-Miller-Boeser line? 

they were lethal on both sides of the puck. 

A little more confidence, luck, and against a worse goalie than Saros, Suter would’ve led the playoffs in goals after the 1st round (ok that might be a stretch lol) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think that if Lekkerimäki takes a spot from training camp, then yeah, he deserves a spot on the team. But anything but that, then he goes down to Abby and learns the pro North American game. 

It is a tough call. We don’t want a repeat of Podz development. I think Lekker should play 20 games in Abby then a decision. I wonder if PA resigns Joshua with a higher CAP thinking he could play top 6 TOI?

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It is a tough call. We don’t want a repeat of Podz development. I think Lekker should play 20 games in Abby then a decision. I wonder if PA resigns Joshua with a higher CAP thinking he could play top 6 TOI?

The A is not a place for a player if Lekkerimaki’s elite skill. He will be on the big club from day one. Garden gnome will be traded this summer. Lekkerimaki will play those minutes (and some Pp and pk). 30 plus goals and the Calder. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Aatu Raty

I know, but what about him?  The inference I got was that his development had somehow stalled........maybe I just read it wrong

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I know, but what about him?  The inference I got was that his development had somehow stalled........maybe I just read it wrong

No, Raty had a great year in Abbotsford this season. It’s become apparent that he’s likely not going to be a center; he made the transition to a full time LW this season, but had a great year after a slow start. There’s a legit chance he’ll be on the roster next season.