[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

4 minutes ago, The Brock Star said:

No, Raty had a great year in Abbotsford this season. It’s become apparent that he’s likely not going to be a center; he made the transition to a full time LW this season, but had a great year after a slow start. There’s a legit chance he’ll be on the roster next season.

He was on the wing for a good chunk, but partly because he was the most versatile of the C's and most able to make that transition.  Colliton was very up front that he looked at any line AR was on as a two C line.

He's still very young and I doubt theyve given up trying to develop him as a C........they need him to play C, really.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yes. If we lost Miller or Boeser for a lengthy period of time, we are ass.

Maybe, but isn't it the same for all teams? 

If Oilers lost McD and Drai or McD and Hyman, they'd be a lottery team as well...

• Cheers 1

If we fail to resign Hronek, is there anyone in Abby that could grown into that role? I haven't been able to watch much except from highlights.

Filip Johansson, Cole McWard, Jet Woo ?

In my opinion Hughes made Hronek look good. I'm sure he can make any RD look better than they are.

1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

If we fail to resign Hronek, is there anyone in Abby that could grown into that role? I haven't been able to watch much except from highlights.

In my opinion Hughes made Hronek look good. I'm sure he can make any RD look better than they are.

If I'm not mistaken, Johansson went back to Sweden. Woo might be let go. Looks like it's McWard, but I don't know what his potential would be. 

• Like 1

Just now, bertuzzi44fan said:

Hronek better not be expensive,was pretty trash the last 3rd of season and playoffs.

You do realize he was playing injured, right? He’s an elite right shot opposing D. PA will make a fair offer. If it’s not accepted then the pkayer will be moved. And considering Hronek is elite the return will be a haul. Just like when PA moved on from money hungry Horfat Wallet. 

• Like 1

Hronek is a UFA after this season so I can understand why he would like a big number for his AAV if he's giving up UFA years. I don't think the Canucks can really afford to re-sign Hronek for only 1-year either since that will mean walking him to UFA or a trade deadline deal anyway.

If Hronek is willing to take between $6M-$6.5M AAV for a decently long term, then I think we'll see a deal happen pretty quickly. If Hronek wants to test free agency to see what kind of numbers teams may be willing to sign him for and is certain he can get more, then all the power to him. If Hronek insists on going to arbitration, then my guess is the Canucks will do their best to trade him before that process begins.

There is a lot of smoke around Necas but since Necas also has arbitration rights and could receive a big number, I wonder if the Canucks might instead look for a trading partner that could provide them with RHD in return since the problem with trading Hronek is that it leaves a gaping hole at the top end of the blue line. Not sure how many trading partners there would be for that, but it might be preferable since it could theoretically keep blueline cap space more limited for another season or two and allow the Canucks to instead go big game hunting at forward.

2 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Hronek is a UFA after this season so I can understand why he would like a big number for his AAV if he's giving up UFA years. I don't think the Canucks can really afford to re-sign Hronek for only 1-year either since that will mean walking him to UFA or a trade deadline deal anyway.

If Hronek is willing to take between $6M-$6.5M AAV for a decently long term, then I think we'll see a deal happen pretty quickly. If Hronek wants to test free agency to see what kind of numbers teams may be willing to sign him for and is certain he can get more, then all the power to him. If Hronek insists on going to arbitration, then my guess is the Canucks will do their best to trade him before that process begins.

There is a lot of smoke around Necas but since Necas also has arbitration rights and could receive a big number, I wonder if the Canucks might instead look for a trading partner that could provide them with RHD in return since the problem with trading Hronek is that it leaves a gaping hole at the top end of the blue line. Not sure how many trading partners there would be for that, but it might be preferable since it could theoretically keep blueline cap space more limited for another season or two and allow the Canucks to instead go big game hunting at forward.

Good points. I wonder if we could trade Hronek to Ottawa for Zub & Pinto?

• Like 2

On 5/31/2024 at 1:13 AM, Bonkers said:

This is a key statement.  No need to pay someone even 7 million just to play with Hughes who will soon be a 12 to 14 million dollar player.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pay the guys that you can’t replace in free agency or through trade.

Thats Zadorov, Lindholm, and Hronek. These guys bring an element to their games that would be very hard to replace.

Guys like Joshua, Blueger, and Cole are guys you can replace. These are guys you got at a bargain cause not many other teams wanted them. Those players exist every offseason. Although I’m hopeful Blueger can be re-signed at a decent price.

Love it!

44 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pay the guys that you can’t replace in free agency or through trade.

Thats Zadorov, Lindholm, and Hronek. These guys bring an element to their games that would be very hard to replace.

Guys like Joshua, Blueger, and Cole are guys you can replace. These are guys you got at a bargain cause not many other teams wanted them. Those players exist every offseason. Although I’m hopeful Blueger can be re-signed at a decent price.

Exactly this! Nice post and well said. We're a good team now and dynamics have changed. We need to pay the proper guys to take the next step. That's just the reality. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, fuzzy said:

I'd be down for that but not sure if OTT would. It would address to issues for the Canucks though, and possibly both for the price of one Hronek.

My pipedream is to somehow pry Jiricek from CBJ.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'd be down for that but not sure if OTT would. It would address to issues for the Canucks though, and possibly both for the price of one Hronek.

With Voronkov

• Like 3

Honestly more i think on it

Doesnt even really matter whether Hronek gets 7.5 or 8

We need a 25 minute RD guy who can also run things if god forbid Hughes ever gets injured

This is the 1 where we kinda just have to pay whatever it costs. 

We're going to be able to upgrade the rest of the blueline anyway, theres so many defensemen available this UFA szn. Maybe Demelo + Dillon. Shouldn't be too expensive to land both. 

I really wanna see us try a trade for Ehlers to solve for our Petey winger issue, and a couple reclamations for secondary scoring. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, fuzzy said:

Ottawa needs another RD to help Zub in their top four, more than likely they try and find one via moving Chychrun imo. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

That would be perfect IMO.

6 hours ago, ronning4center said:

This is a key statement.  No need to pay someone even 7 million just to play with Hughes who will soon be a 12 to 14 million dollar player.

Especially with Willander only two to three years away. Maybe we pay Hronek in the 7s but without trade protection?

3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Yes, please. Didn't Jiricek want out last year as well? Shit, imagine Jiricek and Willander on the right side...

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Especially with Willander only two to three years away. Maybe we pay Hronek in the 7s but without trade protection?

Yes, please. Didn't Jiricek want out last year as well? Shit, imagine Jiricek and Willander on the right side...

There were rumors about Jiricek wanting out, but who knows how much that would motivate CBJ management to move him. Jiricek will be under team control for a long time still. My guess is if there is known bad blood between Jiricek and the organization, then this is one of the first things Don Waddell will work on rather than try to move him out. The one angle I wonder about is if CBJ ownership wants Waddell to make the team competitive now, in which case they might be willing to make a big move to bring in proven talent. I don't think Hronek moves the needle in that regard, but one can dream. Jiricek and Willander down the right could make for a ridiculously deep D core in a few years, but also one that could be ridiculously expensive lol.

Frankly, I might be intrigued if Hronek nets the Canucks a RHD prospect like Ceulemans and one (or in a pipedream both) of Volonkov or Marchenko. Not much proven among those players but a fair bit of promise. Ceulemans had a bit of an underwhelming rookie AHL season, but if he hits, then maybe he could do what Hronek could not - drive a second defensive pair but as the offensive dynamo of that pair (he would a steady D partner). Volonkov or Marchenko could be solid wingers to play with EP. If both could be acquired, then each could flank EP to make one big, mean forward line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I'll let, what sounds like Alexa, to do the talking. It's actually a decent take.

PITB makes some good points, arbitration would probably favour Hronek over the Canucks and the Canucks even getting to arbitration means they've lost because arbitration deals can only be 1-2 years, which walks him to UFA. 

If his agent is using Sergachev and Trouba as comparables suddenly his ask doesn't seem so ridiculous. 

They're also right that an arbitration case could make him tougher to trade. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

PITB makes some good points, arbitration would probably favour Hronek over the Canucks and the Canucks even getting to arbitration means they've lost because arbitration deals can only be 1-2 years, which walks him to UFA. 

If his agent is using Sergachev and Trouba as comparables suddenly his ask doesn't seem so ridiculous. 

They're also right that an arbitration case could make him tougher to trade. 

There’s a team out there willing to pay him 8 mil.

If he doesn’t wanna sign here trade him to Utah. He can live out his days as a Mormon.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

If he doesn’t wanna sign here trade him to Utah. He can live out his days as a Mormon.

Done, they've got a bushel of picks and I'd welcome them. Doubt they'd move out Durzi, but I'd certainly be interested in Geekie, Guenther, But, and Simashev. 

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Utah draft picks? Yes please. Use their 2nd rounder to grab Henry Brzustewicz :classic_ninja: Or wherever he ends up. I dunno. But their first rounder will be pretty good.