[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

3 hours ago, Sativika said:

Did y'all see this?!?!?!??

All is nor lost. I mean, we lose a significant roster player, but we will gain some trade assets!

Here's the link:

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/potential-compensation-for-filip-hronek-revealed-canucks-could-fetch-a-load

Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 7.41.46 AM.png

It's not like offer sheets are common or effective.  Looking at that chart is akin to figuring out how you're going to spend the money you plan on winning from the lottery 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Viking said:

Call Barry Trotz, see what Nashville would offer us for Hronek, He could play with Josi . Canucks would get Fabbro + in return

Fabbro is an undersized 6th or 7th defender.  

NSH take’s Hronek has laughs for years at this trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sativika said:

Did y'all see this?!?!?!??

All is nor lost. I mean, we lose a significant roster player, but we will gain some trade assets!

Here's the link:

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/potential-compensation-for-filip-hronek-revealed-canucks-could-fetch-a-load

Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 7.41.46 AM.png

We get so little insight to really know anything other than what we see and read which is usually not what's going on behind the scenes......but Hronek really came across as a guy who could care less about Vancouver.  Joshua apparently wants to get paid well, but he at least seems like a guy who is likeable and interested in being here.  Based on what we've seen from Hronek, I don't see PA or JR letting this even go to July 1st.   If he's a fit within the dressing room, I see a final offer on the table.  If they don't, I suspect they have no plans to proceed further.  Highly likely in my opinion that we see a trade before July 1st and that comes with a D coming the other way.

For the record, I was excited to see Hronek at the training camp and his early regular season looked really impressive.....but I find it tough to cheer on a guy who's a douche.

9 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

We get so little insight to really know anything other than what we see and read which is usually not what's going on behind the scenes......but Hronek really came across as a guy who could care less about Vancouver.  Joshua apparently wants to get paid well, but he at least seems like a guy who is likeable and interested in being here.  Based on what we've seen from Hronek, I don't see PA or JR letting this even go to July 1st.   If he's a fit within the dressing room, I see a final offer on the table.  If they don't, I suspect they have no plans to proceed further.  Highly likely in my opinion that we see a trade before July 1st and that comes with a D coming the other way.

For the record, I was excited to see Hronek at the training camp and his early regular season looked really impressive.....but I find it tough to cheer on a guy who's a douche.

I look at it differently.  I believe the date for player elected arbitration is July 4th or 5th... which means the Canucks can qualify Hronek to retain his rights, then dip into the UFA market on July 1st.  If we happen to land a Pesce or a Roy, then the leverage comes back to PA/JR and we can then do what we want to  do with Hronek (ie. trade).  Even if we don't get top dollar back for Hronek, we would be ok as we would have landed a free asset in Pesce or Roy anyways.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I don't care if Hronek's a nice guy or that he doesn't like media. I don't need our players to be likeable. In fact, the past decade of trying to build a team of nice guys has gotten us nowhere. 

If you look back to 2011 and 1994, those rosters consisted of all types of personalities. Nice guys can't do what not-so-nice guys can, and vice versa. We need those qualities if we're going to win.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

How about Hronek on a shorter term deal. 2-3 years in the $6 million range. 

He is 26 now (27 for next season), so a 2-3 year deal puts him at 29/30 for his final big contract. 

At that point he can walk as a UFA and take the biggest amount he can or Canucks can resign him to a bigger number if it all works out cap wise. 

I think this could be a wise move for Van also because it doesn't force you to pay him 8 million now with term. If he is really an 8 million dollar Dman then great and if we can we'll pay him 8+ in a couple years.

If he isn't and he's more like a 6 million guy then we get him at the right value for a couple years to play with Quinn while we prepare for Willander or someone else to work up to a top 4 spot. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

He is 26 now (27 for next season), so a 2-3 year deal puts him at 29/30 for his final big contract. 

At that point he can walk as a UFA and take the biggest amount he can or Canucks can resign him to a bigger number if it all works out cap wise. 

I think this could be a wise move for Van also because it doesn't force you to pay him 8 million now with term. If he is really an 8 million dollar Dman then great and if we can we'll pay him 8+ in a couple years.

If he isn't and he's more like a 6 million guy then we get him at the right value for a couple years to play with Quinn while we prepare for Willander or someone else to work up to a top 4 spot. 

Hronek is arbitration eligible, if it goes that route he will get 7 or more on a 1 year deal and then be a UFA at seasons end able to sign a huge deal after the cap has gone up again. 

There is 0 benefits in signing a below market deal, especially multiple years.

17 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

2 or 3 years makes sense, especially if the are trying to run back Lindholm, Zadorov, etc. Plus it allows for flexibility when they need to pay Hughes.

1 minute ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

2 or 3 years makes sense, especially if the are trying to run back Lindholm, Zadorov, etc. Plus it allows for flexibility when they need to pay Hughes.

For the Canucks, sure. Doesn't make sense for Hronek to not try and secure a long-term, big money bag though.

He's coming off three straight 38+ point seasons, he almost hit 50 this season, he may never have a better opportunity to cash in.

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For the Canucks, sure. Doesn't make sense for Hronek to not try and secure a long-term, big money bag though.

He's coming off three straight 38+ point seasons, he almost hit 50 this season, he may never have a better opportunity to cash in.

First half of the season he was a 9 million dollar D man, second half he was a 5 million dollar one.

Split the difference and call it a shade over 7.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

First half of the season he was a 9 million dollar D man, second half he was a 5 million dollar one.

That's where I think many of us think he will land too.  That $7M to $7.5M range.  I don't think many of us think he's honestly gonna get $8M+.

Funny how this league is so much of a "what have you done for me lately" league in that, what IF Hronek's season was reversed.  What if he was a $5M defenceman to start the season and finished as a $9M defenceman?  Same final numbers at the end, just started off cool and then heated up... nobody would question his value then lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Seems unlikely he gets the 8M he's supposedly pursuing, but that'll probably still get him closer to 7.4-7.75M imo. I think the Canucks will have to come up or trade him, arbitration is a loss for them. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Playoffs he was still a 5M D and his minutes regressed in favour of other D like Big Z. He also didn’t contribute in point totals till the end of our playoff run and was the only regular D-man without a playoff point for quite some time. 

A guy like D.Toews is in the 7s put up similar regular season numbers but elevates his play during the playoffs and is often relied upon more. 

Even 7s are iffy for me. I understand 6s probably wouldn’t get it done. It honestly would have been better if we got more than 1 full season to look at him but that’s the boat we’re in. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

thanks to darnell nurse, mark friedman played like a $9 mil defenceman. 

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Playoffs he was still a 5M D and his minutes regressed in favour of other D like Big Z. He also didn’t contribute in point totals till the end of our playoff run and was the only regular D-man without a playoff point for quite some time. 

A guy like D.Toews is in the 7s put up similar regular season numbers but elevates his play during the playoffs and is often relied upon more. 

Even 7s are iffy for me. I understand 6s probably wouldn’t get it done. It honestly would have been better if we got more than 1 full season to look at him but that’s the boat we’re in. 

I see a lot of comparisons to Devon Toews, but remember Toews is 30.  Hronek is 26.  What did Devon Toews do 4 years ago?  His career didn't take off until he joined COL and played and developed next to arguably one of the most complete NHL defencemen in the history of the NHL. 

Bottomline is Hronek has a lot of room to still improve.  To do what he's doing at 26yo is pretty remarkable for a defenceman.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I see a lot of comparisons to Devon Toews, but remember Toews is 30.  Hronek is 26.  What did Devon Toews do 4 years ago?  His career didn't take off until he joined COL and played and developed next to arguably one of the most complete NHL defencemen in the history of the NHL. 

Bottomline is Hronek has a lot of room to still improve.  To do what he's doing at 26yo is pretty remarkable for a defenceman.

They’re compared because they play with similarly talented defenseman. There’s still a difference in play and I am weary of deals based off of potential and Toews signed a deal having already played multiple seasons with the Avs. That’s another key difference, they have a lot more sample size. 

Prior to the contract he signed Toews put up 4 great years that included a cup win and after already signing a previous deal with the Avs. 

During the regular season he had 138 points in 199 games and was +120 averaging over 24 minutes prior to this year. 

30 points in 37 playoff games and was +20 averaging almost 25 minutes a game prior to these playoffs and his extension. 

Avs signed a long bridge deal prior to extending Toews who did have an option to test UFA. A bridge deal for Hronek makes sense but I get the sense he wouldn’t want one.  

A 3 year bridge deal gets us past the OEL 2 years of like 4.76 dead cap where we would be in a better position to throw money and where Hronek still is 29 by the time he needs a new contract. He could potentially net more cash in the long run than taking a longer contract now that takes him into his 30s as teams still will throw money at 29 year olds(Look at Lindholm) especially when they’re good players. That is what I would be trying to sell him and his agent. 

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They’re compared because they play with similarly talented defenseman. There’s still a difference in play and I am weary of deals based off of potential and Toews signed a deal having already played multiple seasons with the Avs. That’s another key difference, they have a lot more sample size. 

Prior to the contract he signed Toews put up 4 great years that included a cup win and after already signing a previous deal with the Avs. 

During the regular season he had 138 points in 199 games and was +120 averaging over 24 minutes prior to this year. 

30 points in 37 playoff games and was +20 averaging almost 25 minutes a game prior to these playoffs and his extension. 

Avs signed a long bridge deal prior to extending Toews who did have an option to test UFA. A bridge deal for Hronek makes sense but I get the sense he wouldn’t want one.  

A 3 year bridge deal gets us past the OEL 2 years of like 4.76 dead cap where we would be in a better position to throw money and where Hronek still is 29 by the time he needs a new contract. He could potentially net more cash in the long run than taking a longer contract now that takes him into his 30s as teams still will throw money at 29 year olds(Look at Lindholm) especially when they’re good players. That is what I would be trying to sell him and his agent. 

I get where there might be the feeling that Toews is a good comparable, but he's 30 years old.  Hronek has 4 years to catchup and surpass Toews.  The fact Hronek is already being compared to Toews tells us a lot of what kinda defenceman Hronek is. 

Hronek won't take a bridge deal.  He could just as easily goto arbitration, get a $7M award and walk to UFA next year and someone will absolutely pay a 27yo RHD with his production and skillset to a solid 7 year deal. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

If it gets him a higher AAV today with the chance at being a UFA at 29 instead of mid 30s then it could make sense for him. Especially if it looks like the Canucks are willing to play chicken on arbitration. 1 year at $7M or 3 years at $8M per (total of $24M guaranteed). Depends on his risk tolerance and willingness to bet on himself.

Need to be cautious about paying for that shoulder. If it was injured again in second half and that’s why his production dropped, then perhaps he is a longterm risk. Why else would he have such a drop off and basically refrain from using his slap shot?

Thats my concern with him. 
He’s not the biggest guy but plays a heavier game. Between some solid body checks and natural overuse of his rotator cuff/shoulder in playing the sport, it wouldn’t surprise me if that area will continue to degrade on him.

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

If it gets him a higher AAV today with the chance at being a UFA at 29 instead of mid 30s then it could make sense for him. Especially if it looks like the Canucks are willing to play chicken on arbitration. 1 year at $7M or 3 years at $8M per (total of $24M guaranteed). Depends on his risk tolerance and willingness to bet on himself.

He could ultimately make more this way, yes. But I don't think he's someone who'll bet on himself the way Pettersson did, we'll see though, I could be wrong.