[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

Seravalli speculating that the trade market for Hronek is “down” as other GMs consider what the player/agent  are asking for next contract and it’s creating hesitation 

• Sad 1

IF resigning Zadorov, bringing in a top line winger all required moving Hronek because he wont settle for anything less than a 64+ Million dollar deal

What would everyone think about trading Hronek even if it is just for draft capital and replacing him with:

Alexandre Carrier for a 4/5 Year deal for around $4M / Season.

He was Nashvilles second biggest minute eater behind Josi.

He blocks shots, PKS, can move the puck, has some mobility and perhaps could be on the second unit PK. His cap hit would be manageable even with Willander rising.

I see him as a much more polished and reliable Ethan bear so somewhere between Bear and Hronek.

Could a Hughes-Carrier pairing still deliver a great result? 

I would be willing to bet / argue it would. And it could be a key way to attract him he would get to play with Hughes and set himself up even for one more contract at age 31ish depending on the term he takes.

Potential progression..

Next season would be:

Hughes-Carrier

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-UFA/Juulsen

Juulsen/UFA

Year after

Hughes-Carrier

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Willander

Year after that:

Hughes-Carrier/Willander

Zadorov-Willander/Carrier

EP2-Myers/UFA

Just an idea.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I said this weeks ago. This guy stealing my niche of hating on Petey and now stealing my niche of stating the obvious. Seravalli is quickly becoming my arch nemesis.

A bit down market because of the UFA RD market 

a good move might be arbitration 1 yr at 6.5-<7

kick the can down the road 

5 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

A bit down market because of the UFA RD market 

a good move might be arbitration 1 yr at 6.5-<7

kick the can down the road 

See how first 40 games go then either sign or trade mid season 

tbh I would just see if he bites on 7.85x 8

• Like 1

Just now, canucks curse said:

If he wants 8/ yr 

then the max we would realistically get on market would be 7yrs x 8 mill

so 7 x 8yrs in van is same money …

so 7.75 x 8 should be more than enough 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

Can we still extend Hronek if he’s on an arbitration year? 

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

If he wants 8/ yr 

Can we fit Hronek at 7.5 and Big Z at 5.5? I wonder if the plan is to only keep one? 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We have 26.5 mil + mik buyout/trade, so yep.

So buyout Mik and trade Garlsnd and Pods and Hogs play those minutes? 
Then we have 35 mil. 
We could keep Hronek and Z and add Geuntzel. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So buyout Mik and trade Garlsnd and Pods and Hogs play those minutes? 
Then we have 35 mil. 
We could keep Hronek and Z and add Geuntzel. 

I think that they would do that if they could. 

We probably know already what the prices are to do deals, so now I guess we wait until the rest of the league is ready to start making trades.

I hope the league doesn't want to wait until the finals are over.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think that they would do that if they could. 

We probably know already what the prices are to do deals, so now I guess we wait until the rest of the league is ready to start making trades.

I hope the league doesn't want to wait until the finals are over.

We’ve seen a couple trades but hopefully see a lot more. Waiting for the Cup Final to be over will sure make it do any trades will need to come fast and furious. If I heard correct (650) they were saying the first buyout window comes after the Cup is awarded? Teams might be waiting to see who shakes loose from that too. 
Apparently we like JK. If the Canes buy him out maybe we sign him? Lots of moving parts.  

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

If he wants 8/ yr 

Then you add in the RFA year, and the target of 7.25m is bang on. This is just a dance.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Johnny said:

One thing that I noticed this year is that a lot of our offence was created from the blue line, the criss crossing of d men with cross ice passes to disrupt coverage was our bread n butter

IMO this is a risky game and it did start to get shut down and exposed half way through the year.

Im in favour of trading Hronek for room for more meat n potatoes dmen and bringing in another forward who can drive the net and create offence from down low 

creating more offence down low will cut back on odd man rushes against and have our dmen in better position to read turnovers that come back our way.

If Carrier is that guy on defence lets go

I also like Demalo for Huggy aswell

Is Carrier a UFA? 

7 hours ago, R3aL said:

IF resigning Zadorov, bringing in a top line winger all required moving Hronek because he wont settle for anything less than a 64+ Million dollar deal

What would everyone think about trading Hronek even if it is just for draft capital and replacing him with:

Alexandre Carrier for a 4/5 Year deal for around $4M / Season.

He was Nashvilles second biggest minute eater behind Josi.

He blocks shots, PKS, can move the puck, has some mobility and perhaps could be on the second unit PK. His cap hit would be manageable even with Willander rising.

I see him as a much more polished and reliable Ethan bear so somewhere between Bear and Hronek.

Could a Hughes-Carrier pairing still deliver a great result? 

I would be willing to bet / argue it would. And it could be a key way to attract him he would get to play with Hughes and set himself up even for one more contract at age 31ish depending on the term he takes.

Potential progression..

Next season would be:

Hughes-Carrier

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-UFA/Juulsen

Juulsen/UFA

Year after

Hughes-Carrier

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Willander

Year after that:

Hughes-Carrier/Willander

Zadorov-Willander/Carrier

EP2-Myers/UFA

Just an idea.

I am leaning more towards trading Hronek and finding a stop gap signing for 2 years to play with Quinn. I look at it this way - we have a 3 year window with Quinn at the moment at a team friendly deal. Demko has 2 years left and we still have 2 years coming up of the OEL buyout that will hurt even if the cap keeps going up. Having a 2 or 3 year commitment at 5 mil is much more doable than 8 mil on a guy I am not sold on and in 2 years can Willander and Petey 2.0 fill some holes on the back end. I like your idea of Carrier with Quinn or as I heard on Canucks Central a swap with Utah for Durzi. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Johnny said:

One thing that I noticed this year is that a lot of our offence was created from the blue line, the criss crossing of d men with cross ice passes to disrupt coverage was our bread n butter

IMO this is a risky game and it did start to get shut down and exposed half way through the year.

Im in favour of trading Hronek for room for more meat n potatoes dmen and bringing in another forward who can drive the net and create offence from down low 

creating more offence down low will cut back on odd man rushes against and have our dmen in better position to read turnovers that come back our way.

If Carrier is that guy on defence lets go

I also like Demalo for Huggy aswell

For me scoring was the issue in the playoffs for us. Removing Hronek from the D Corps while adding some much needed punch up front moves the needle forward in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I like Hronek just not at 8 mil a year.

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

For me scoring was the issue in the playoffs for us. Removing Hronek from the D Corps while adding some much needed punch up front moves the needle forward in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I like Hronek just not at 8 mil a year.

Trading Hronek for picks and prospects and using those assets to trade for another right side D to play with Hughes (who costs 4-5 per) then signing Geuntzel would be a coupe for PA. 
Hronek + Garland + Mik adds up to a lot of extra cap room. Use assets acquired to trade for Adam Larsson. Sign Geuntzel and keep Big Z. Still lots left over. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trading Hronek for picks and prospects and using those assets to trade for another right side D to play with Hughes (who costs 4-5 per) then signing Geuntzel would be a coupe for PA. 
Hronek + Garland + Mik adds up to a lot of extra cap room. Use assets acquired to trade for Adam Larsson. Sign Geuntzel and keep Big Z. Still lots left over. 

Thing with Mik is if we can't move him without assets attached or retention do we buy him out and save 3.6 this year and next? Moving forward there is so much cotract wise to think about with Demko and Hughes contracts coming up. I'd really prefer we don't "Benning" this up and screw ourselves moving forward. BUT we also need to move to a win now mentality while we have this core.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

Thing with Mik is if we can't move him without assets attached or retention do we buy him out and save 3.6 this year and next? Moving forward there is so much cotract wise to think about with Demko and Hughes contracts coming up. I'd really prefer we don't "Benning" this up and screw ourselves moving forward. BUT we also need to move to a win now mentality while we have this core.

True enough. Benning was a moran. Following what JR/PA did in Pittsburgh it’s most likely they will try to reload every year around their key core guys. If buying out Mik helps them do that, then they will. I think they will try and move off of Garland’s contract first though. He played well enough this season to hopefully have positive value. 

• Like 1

End of the day Hughes and Hronek made up one of the best pairings in the NHL. Don't want to flush that down the toilet without a really good back up plan. 

Main thing for me is can Hronek drive his own pair in the future? 

Hughes Willander

EP Hronek

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

End of the day Hughes and Hronek made up one of the best pairings in the NHL. Don't want to flush that down the toilet without a really good back up plan. 

Main thing for me is can Hronek drive his own pair in the future? 

Hughes Willander

EP Hronek

Compare them to Bouchard and Elkholm though - we need a tandem where Quinn has a bigger defensive partner who can move the puck like Elkholm but is also sound defensively. I see Hronek as our version of Nurse if we sign him at 8 mil and he doesn't play with Hughes  If we are paying two guys roughly 8 million we need them to be able to play apart in the top 4 and I am not sure Hronek can do that and a 64 million dollar deal to find out he can't gives us our own version of Nurse.