[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

7 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Compare them to Bouchard and Elkholm though - we need a tandem where Quinn has a bigger defensive partner who can move the puck like Elkholm but is also sound defensively. I see Hronek as our version of Nurse if we sign him at 8 mil and he doesn't play with Hughes  If we are paying two guys roughly 8 million we need them to be able to play apart in the top 4 and I am not sure Hronek can do that and a 64 million dollar deal to find out he can't gives us our own version of Nurse.

Yep I’d be calling around on guys that fit that bill.

Cernak

Sanheim

Zub

Provorov

Andersson

Chychrun

Parayko

Obviously some of those guys would be more expensive than others but the cost could be recouped from a Hronek trade if he can’t be signed.

Id be interested in acquiring some of those guys even if we re-signed Hronek.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 10:43 AM, MeanSeanBean said:

I'd counter argue that he is the most likely to come back out of the entire D-core. His play and speed has clearly declined, but he still has the leadership qualities to be a solid 6/7 if he takes a reduced contract to continue playing.

@RU SERIOUSsounds like this was a swing and a miss

3 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I am leaning more towards trading Hronek and finding a stop gap signing for 2 years to play with Quinn. I look at it this way - we have a 3 year window with Quinn at the moment at a team friendly deal. Demko has 2 years left and we still have 2 years coming up of the OEL buyout that will hurt even if the cap keeps going up. Having a 2 or 3 year commitment at 5 mil is much more doable than 8 mil on a guy I am not sold on and in 2 years can Willander and Petey 2.0 fill some holes on the back end. I like your idea of Carrier with Quinn or as I heard on Canucks Central a swap with Utah for Durzi. 

That’ll just be another 2-3more years of worrying about RHD, and over playing depth guys. People need to remember how desperate we were for a top4 RHD. We have him now…just going through the paces of signing an RFA to a big contract.

i do like the idea of finding short term solutions to the RHD spot, but not on your top guy. Myers and Juulsen will fill that job great. I’d even try to resign Cole at vet min for 2 years to split time with Juulsen. If Willander or Petterson show they belong, thats a great problem to have; two vet RHD (one that can play both sides) that are buryable if required.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, canucks curse said:

A bit down market because of the UFA RD market 

a good move might be arbitration 1 yr at 6.5-<7

kick the can down the road 

Good for whom? Canucks lose leverage unless they want to derail team at TDL and Hronek exposes himself to injury or continue poor play that erodes his FA value.

It’s in the best interest of both parties to get a reasonable deal done. As previously noted, Hronek wants 8m/yr. That’s 7m to Canucks with a year of RFA and ability to offer 8 year contract. And that’s what we will probably see, but not until August in my opinion, after he signs his QO.

5 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Then you add in the RFA year, and the target of 7.25m is bang on. This is just a dance.

I can live with 7.25 over 8 but are you giving him a NMC with that? If it costs us 8 mil a season he doesn't get a full NTC - team of 10 he doesn't want to be traded to fine but I am not sold he is the be all to end all for RHD.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I can live with 7.25 over 8 but are you giving him a NMC with that? If it costs us 8 mil a season he doesn't get a full NTC - team of 10 he doesn't want to be traded to fine but I am not sold he is the be all to end all for RHD.

He isn’t the end all be all at RHD. If he was, he’d be signing for 9-10m on that contract. He is a very good player, not elite. We have our one elite Dmen a ream can afford in Hughes.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Cernak

Sanheim

Zub

Provorov

Andersson

Chychrun

Parayko

Obviously some of those guys would be more expensive than others but the cost could be recouped from a Hronek trade if he can’t be signed.

Dude … I love Rasmus Andersson 

that would be so great 

3 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I'd give him a full NMC for the first 4 years if it brings the cap hit down. By the end of those 4 years, we should know what we have in Willander and we can move Hronek to fill other holes in the lineup if need be. With a NMC for 4 years, I feel the cap hit should be about 7m only which, for a top pair RHD, will be great value. Especially as the salary cap continues to rise...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Cernak

Sanheim

Zub

Provorov

Andersson

Chychrun

Parayko

Artyom Zub is a horse. He wouldn't come cheap, though. 

14 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I am leaning more towards trading Hronek and finding a stop gap signing for 2 years to play with Quinn. I look at it this way - we have a 3 year window with Quinn at the moment at a team friendly deal. Demko has 2 years left and we still have 2 years coming up of the OEL buyout that will hurt even if the cap keeps going up. Having a 2 or 3 year commitment at 5 mil is much more doable than 8 mil on a guy I am not sold on and in 2 years can Willander and Petey 2.0 fill some holes on the back end. I like your idea of Carrier with Quinn or as I heard on Canucks Central a swap with Utah for Durzi. 

Durzi would be an interesting option too for sure 

18 hours ago, spook007 said:

Full confidence in the front office knowing, what they want, and what they'll pay for it...

I believe, we'll end up with a team as good, if not better, once the dust has settled. 

Yeah, honestly, the management is clearly in a tough situation, but it's also not a bad situation either. To have a number of GOOD players to resign coupled with the notion that we wouldn't be able to resign everyone anyway.

There's so much noise out there with with the media right now regarding all of our "potential free agents" that you would think we came in last place and selling the farm. Yet, the more players we don't resign, the more money we have to resign players. lol

We're not going to lose everyone because it's really a matter of us not having the money for 1 or 2 of those players and that's it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

I think as fans we overlook the Klingberg effect on retaining and signing players. I think they are less inclined to walk away from a fair deal in a place they are happy to chase a pot of gold elsewhere. Every rfa and ufa is 1 injury away from being Klingberged. 

3yr 19.5m show me offer if rejected then qualify him at 5.2m then if unsigned the month before TDL trade him if he is unwilling to sign a reasonable deal.

Also, can we see what Hronek can do NOT paired with Hughes and say with Zadorov on 2nd pair or if he walks then Soucy.

bring in Dillon to replace Cole if he signs for reasonable. I like Zadorov but 5m or more is too rich when we can maybe get Dillon for a couple M less and use the saving to bring in a Duclair/Toffoli for the top 6

6 minutes ago, Viking said:

3yr 19.5m show me offer if rejected then qualify him at 5.2m then if unsigned the month before TDL trade him if he is unwilling to sign a reasonable deal.

Also, can we see what Hronek can do NOT paired with Hughes and say with Zadorov on 2nd pair or if he walks then Soucy.

bring in Dillon to replace Cole if he signs for reasonable. I like Zadorov but 5m or more is too rich when we can maybe get Dillon for a couple M less and use the saving to bring in a Duclair/Toffoli for the top 6

He will reject that 'show me' offer, then he will take the Canucks to arbitration for a 1 year deal .... likely in the $7M range.  Then he will walk as a UFA next year.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Viking said:

Not 100% sure but pretty sure if a player signs a deal through arbitration said player can’t be traded for a full calendar year. So if we sign Hronek through arbitration then it walks him to free agency or us caving to his demands and giving him what he wants next summer just before free agency. If he’s not willing to sign for 7 mill a season long term this summer I’d just trade him! Maybe Zegras straight up (Pettersson’s winger hunt solved) or futures with Columbus in Kent Johnson, Adam Boqvist and a pick.

Edited by flickyoursedin

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Not 100% sure but pretty sure if a player signs a deal through arbitration said player can’t be traded for a full calendar year. So if we sign Hronek through arbitration then it walks him to free agency or us caving to his demands and giving him what he wants next summer just before free agency.

I thought that’s only on non expiring RFA’s I could be wrong 

On 6/9/2024 at 12:48 PM, BC_Hawk said:

That’ll just be another 2-3more years of worrying about RHD, and over playing depth guys. People need to remember how desperate we were for a top4 RHD. We have him now…just going through the paces of signing an RFA to a big contract.

This shouldn't be glossed over. We were indeed desperate for a long, long time, people were repetitively vocal about it, and it dominated much of the discussion for years. 

We have our RHD and top pairing set. They're known. Absolutely no need to keep wanting the unknown in our top pair. We got what we wanted.

They're both just entering their prime. We haven't seen their best as a #1 duo. Let's make the most of that and get down to business building the rest of our D.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, honestly, the management is clearly in a tough situation, but it's also not a bad situation either. To have a number of GOOD players to resign coupled with the notion that we wouldn't be able to resign everyone anyway.

There's so much noise out there with with the media right now regarding all of our "potential free agents" that you would think we came in last place and selling the farm. Yet, the more players we don't resign, the more money we have to resign players. lol

We're not going to lose everyone because it's really a matter of us not having the money for 1 or 2 of those players and that's it.

Tbh would much rather be in our position, having to perhaps fill in spots, because players have been so good they prized themselves out, than being stuck with 5-8 year contracts of dopeys... We all know, how that feels and looks like...

The big issue here is not having to resign them all, but being able to find proper replacements at lower costs... 

And so far they have definitely lived up to my expectations in finding good replacements.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Tbh would much rather be in our position, having to perhaps fill in spots, because players have been so good they prized themselves out, than being stuck with 5-8 year contracts of dopeys... We all know, how that feels and looks like...

The big issue here is not having to resign them all, but being able to find proper replacements at lower costs... 

And so far they have definitely lived up to my expectations in finding good replacements.

Filling out the bottom 6/bottom pair is always going to be the easiest to do from within the system

If youre gonna overpay for anyone, its Hronek, Lindholm

And let guys like Joshua walk

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Filling out the bottom 6/bottom pair is always going to be the easiest to do from within the system

I wonder when the date is we offer up an extra year (8 for Hronek and Lindy and 6 for Z) to get these guys locked up? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yeah, exactly. We've been in the opposite situation for... how many years now?

I think this next year will be a true test of this management. If we have a repeat this year where we're in the playoffs then great. If not... well then we'll have to start debating about that. lol

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I wonder when the date is we offer up an extra year (8 for Hronek and Lindy and 6 for Z) to get these guys locked up? 

8 for Hronek is fine i think, hes young enough. im nervous about such a long deal for lindy, hes 29

z can easily play great for 6 years, chara played well until he was a senior citizen, the big guys can play longer

4 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Yep, whether that be from within or from outside bottom players are always easier to find.

Hence I said the big issue is not whether they are able to sign them all to contracts they've earned, but whether they can find cheap replacements able to provide the same. This is where the true force of the front office comes in play... A player like Joshua was gold. Now getting to replace him is where they'll earn their money...

On that note, how the hell did Allvin not win GM of the year?

Still quite surprised how many people think the Canucks will trade Hronek and even more surprised how many people seemingly want him traded.

RFA top pair right handed defenseman. The very same thing this market was screaming for. What in the bloody hell is in the water here right now?

• Cheers 1