[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

I still think Crouse for Hronek and Mikheyev is a great deal.  Utah has zero D signed for next season and reportedly want to pretty much clean the slate on their roster to get rid of the stink of Arizona and start fresh.

Crouse is what we need, but he is also not nearly the value of a top pairing RD.  Utah doesn't have any cap issues and can carry Mikheyev as a slightly overpaid 3rd liner without an issue in order to secure an anchor player for their D core.

That leaves us with cash to splash around in free agency.

Guentzel-Petterson-XX
Crouse-Miller-Boeser
Podkolzin-Suter-Garland
PDG-XX-Karlsson
Aman

Hughes-Tanev/Pesce
Zadorov-Roy/Montour
Soucy-Myers/Dillon
Juulsen

I think Utah says “keep your Mik, we can get his production from a cheaper FA signing”. Mik is serviceable and a team with money could shoulder his cap easier sure, but I don’t see teams doing us any favours in alleviating our cap pinch.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Grandmaster said:

Why not just qualify him for one more year at around his 5M? Trade him at the deadline or use him for the next round of playoffs

He'll reject the QO and go to arbitration, imo

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

Why not just qualify him for one more year at around his 5M? Trade him at the deadline or use him for the next round of playoffs

Because we’d have lost a lot of his trade value by letting him become a pending UFA potential rental

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I think Utah says “keep your Mik, we can get his production from a cheaper FA signing”. Mik is serviceable and a team with money could shoulder his cap easier sure, but I don’t see teams doing us any favours in alleviating our cap pinch.

Nor do I see Utah parting with a core piece in their first year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I think the Canucks and Hronek will come to an agreement. Hronek loves it in VAN, his team mates and coaches. The Canucks don't have a top pairing RD, other than Hronek, so they need to try and re-sign or spend a lot to get one. My guess is $6.75 x 5.

Then, in 2 years

Hughes - Willander

? - Hronek

Pettersson - ?

Celebrini

I'm pretty sure Hronek balks at that and will then take a short term deal, and want to go UFA asap.

(Unless the demand for his services is way less than expected...) Sad thing is that's a fair deal.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Because we’d have lost a lot of his trade value by letting him become a pending UFA potential rental

I wasn't aware of 2.5 seasons, and still getting value at the trade deadline constitutes a rental?

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm pretty sure Hronek balks at that and will then take a short term deal, and want to go UFA asap.

(Unless the demand for his services is way less than expected...) Sad thing is that's a fair deal.

If he’s taking 6.75 it’s x 8 and given his age I have no issue with that 

6 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Arbitration shouldn’t go that much higher. The Canucks have a good case with the QH factor inflating those stats

They can't use that in arbitration I don't think, nor can they compare to other players.  Arbitration is heavily slanted toward the player

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They can't use that in arbitration I don't think, nor can they compare to other players.  Arbitration is heavily slanted toward the player

Wouldn’t make sense not to use that on the Canuck side. Can’t see why there would be rules against that.

Arbitration can get pretty nasty from what I’ve read over the years. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Wouldn’t make sense not to use that on the Canuck side. Can’t see why there would be rules against that.

Arbitration can get pretty nasty from what I’ve read over the years. 

The Quinn Hughes thing, maybe, but not comparables, for sure.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-salary-arbitration-explained-restricted-free-agent/z1hcqjbkbgrxyxpptu5snx27

Both the player and the team present a salary for the upcoming season to a neutral third party. The two sides will argue their case to the arbitrator.

The evidence that is allowed to be presented during these hearings included a player's performance/statistics, injury history, length of service, leadership qualities and contribution to the team's results. 

Teams/players cannot use other players' salaries or the state of the team's cap situation during these discussions. 

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wasn't aware of 2.5 seasons, and still getting value at the trade deadline constitutes a rental?

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn’t mean he would have effectively been a rental for us. I’m not one of those people belly-aching about the return we may get for him. I’m confident we can get the same or more for him if we choose to deal him. 

What I meant to convey was that Hronek on a one year deal that brings him to UFA at season end would make him a higher risk acquisition by the trade partner because he could choose to walk to FA - thereby effectively being a rental for the acquiring team if he walks. 

2 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Sorry if I was unclear. I didn’t mean he would have effectively been a rental for us. I’m not one of those people belly-aching about the return we may get for him. I’m confident we can get the same or more for him if we choose to deal him. 

What I meant to convey was that Hronek on a one year deal that brings him to UFA at season end would make him a higher risk acquisition by the trade partner because he could choose to walk to FA - thereby effectively being a rental for the acquiring team if he walks. 

Additionally, the Canucks, who would presumably be in a favourable position, would then have a major subtraction from their roster and dressing room heading into the stretch and playoffs.

Edited by stawns

On 6/11/2024 at 10:40 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I swear to god 90% of this forum doesn’t know the history between Ehlers and the Stanley Cup playoffs. Pass a million times. One of the softest, least clutch, most passive players in nhl playoff history. Literally goes invisible. There’s a 10 year pathetic track record that’s well documented about it. 

He is just a player thats available and this is a hockey forum...someone needs to relax.

Maybe its a good trade then...Hronek rode Hughes coat tales and still fell of a cliff during the REGULAR season AND the Playoffs so maybe a good fit, just brought up as a discussion.

If you get that annoyed from a post I think you need to take a break and come back to the site near Draft Day for more legit rumours many of which STILL will NOT happen just like my suggestion...

Cheers and stay happy my fellow Canuck fan

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

He'll reject the QO and go to arbitration, imo

That's a risk but will still likely mean he gets more money. Hronek fell off a cliff after what 30-40 game mark. When does an Arbitrator over pay someone for maybe half a good year WHEN paired with the Norris Trophy Winner to boot!!!

Hronek, you want to get paid...its SIMPLE Run and be the GUY on your own Pairing AWAY from Hughes then you can maybe you got some leverage. 

Splitting up Hughes- Hronek would also mean we do NOT have to keep Myers around!!! Hughes on Pair 1, Hronek on Pair 2. Keep Zadorov pair with Hronek. Sign Tanev/Demelo play with Hughes or Soucy and play Hughes on Right Side

9 minutes ago, Viking said:

That's a risk but will still likely mean he gets more money. Hronek fell off a cliff after what 30-40 game mark. When does an Arbitrator over pay someone for maybe half a good year WHEN paired with the Norris Trophy Winner to boot!!!

Hronek, you want to get paid...its SIMPLE Run and be the GUY on your own Pairing AWAY from Hughes then you can maybe you got some leverage. 

Splitting up Hughes- Hronek would also mean we do NOT have to keep Myers around!!! Hughes on Pair 1, Hronek on Pair 2. Keep Zadorov pair with Hronek. Sign Tanev/Demelo play with Hughes or Soucy and play Hughes on Right Side

The combination of myers, zad and soucy was the main reason they even got past the first round 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I wonder if Mikheyev at about 1.8 retained to get him down to 3 mil AAV might get some traction - and save us a few years of dead cap versus a buyout. 

With that said, I think he could very well bounce back next year.  

I’m getting ready for the fact that a lot of our depth FAs like Lindholm, Zadorov and Joshua are likely walking - and we’ll be rummaging a bit in the bargain bin after going after one big offensive piece up front.

• Upvote 1

It wasn't just Hronek that fell off a cliff, it was largely team wide. That was symptomatic of certain issues in the second half of the season.

Hronek didn't coast off Hughes. Hronek created greater mobility for Hughes, as a result made that pairing more unpredictable, and often pulled the opposition out of position to create more room and holes for Hughes to maximize his talent. There's a reason why they worked so well together. There's also reasons why the team struggled in the second half ... not jut Hronek.

Hughes and Hronek showed they could be one of the best top pairs in the league. Both are young and entering their prime. Their best is yet to come, imo.

The magic is in the Hughes and Hronek as a pair. That's where the primary value is. Secondary value is in running his own pair, which I believe can happen in time.

But it takes two to negotiate and Hronek needs to be reasonable to remain here. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I wonder if Mikheyev at about 1.8 retained to get him down to 3 mil AAV might get some traction - and save us a few years of dead cap versus a buyout. 

With that said, I think he could very well bounce back next year.  

I’m getting ready for the fact that a lot of our depth FAs like Lindholm, Zadorov and Joshua are likely walking - and we’ll be rummaging a bit in the bargain bin after going after one big offensive piece up front.

Agreed on all fronts and share the sentiment. I actually think we could get traction with just $1M of retention on Mik. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Nor do I see Utah parting with a core piece in their first year

Yeah, I just don't see Crouse being up for trade. He'll be a fan favourite in Utah. 

If Utah wants to go after players they probably won't be moving their keepers out, they'll be moving out picks.

They have their own 1st going forward, but they have three 2nd's this draft, four of them next draft, and another three the draft after that. They also have three 3rd's this draft and two 3rd's each of the following draft.

Considering their prospect pool is on the higher end it makes more sense for them to spend draft capital than to move out what'd probably be a core piece in Crouse. 

It'd honestly be kinda funny if they went after Chychrun.

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Grandmaster said:

So we are going to trade a top pairing Dman at the deadline when we are going for the Cup?  Makes no sense. He needs to be traded now if we can’t get a long term contract signed with him so we can find his replacement in the summer and we can go to training camp with a full roster ready to challenge for the cup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

I think the Canucks and Hronek will come to an agreement. Hronek loves it in VAN, his team mates and coaches. The Canucks don't have a top pairing RD, other than Hronek, so they need to try and re-sign or spend a lot to get one. My guess is $6.75 x 5.

Then, in 2 years

Hughes - Willander

? - Hronek

Pettersson - ?

Celebrini

He’s already rejected 6.75x8…

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Except that cheaper FA signing doesn’t come with a top pairing RD.

It isn’t a favour, a top pairing RD is worth more than Crouse.  They take on a slightly overpaid winger to make up the difference in value.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It wasn't just Hronek that fell off a cliff, it was largely team wide. That was symptomatic of certain issues in the second half of the season.

Hronek didn't coast off Hughes. Hronek created greater mobility for Hughes, as a result made that pairing more unpredictable, and often pulled the opposition out of position to create more room and holes for Hughes to maximize his talent. There's a reason why they worked so well together. There's also reasons why the team struggled in the second half ... not jut Hronek.

Hughes and Hronek showed they could be one of the best top pairs in the league. Both are young and entering their prime. Their best is yet to come, imo.

The magic is in the Hughes and Hronek as a pair. That's where the primary value is. Secondary value is in running his own pair, which I believe can happen in time.

But it takes two to negotiate and Hronek needs to be reasonable to remain here

Doesn't seem like that's happening.