[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

What are the deadlines on Hronek vs Free agency?  Would be nice if management knew their options as a Hronek trade isn’t going to return a top pair RD. 

I still think it gets done. Going 7.5 or whatever on Hronek will be fine so long as he’s stapled to Hughes.  Maybe not a bargain, but we’ll get our moneys worth as he puts up 50-ish points playing 24 min a night.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Doesn't seem like that's happening.

Hronek's camp certainly sounded pretty reasonable this week.

“He loves Vancouver,” explained agent Allan Walsh on a recent episode of SDPN’s Agent Provocateur podcast. “The organization, from the time that he was traded when they were a non-playoff team, and now they are not just a playoff team but legitimate contenders. He loves the guys. I think he has great rapport and respect for the coaches, and he loves the city. You go in, and you’re really upfront about how much he likes it and would like to stay, and you hope that there’s a way to make it happen."

Hronek's agent talks contract negotiations with Canucks | Offside (dailyhive.com)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hronek's camp certainly sounded pretty reasonable this week.

“He loves Vancouver,” explained agent Allan Walsh on a recent episode of SDPN’s Agent Provocateur podcast. “The organization, from the time that he was traded when they were a non-playoff team, and now they are not just a playoff team but legitimate contenders. He loves the guys. I think he has great rapport and respect for the coaches, and he loves the city. You go in, and you’re really upfront about how much he likes it and would like to stay, and you hope that there’s a way to make it happen."

Hronek's agent talks contract negotiations with Canucks | Offside (dailyhive.com)

Doesn't sound like someone unreasonable at all, not to mention the same people fall for this every negotiation. " I guarantee JT Miller is going back to the US" "Petey will come in at 12+" "Hughes will be 8.5-9 easy" 

Now it is the same hysteria all over again just swap out the names. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 3

Hronek at 7.5M would not be bad. Sure his offence fell off after the All star game and was non-existent in the playoffs. But at the same time RD is a coveted position and I’d rather go for someone that has at least shown he works with Hughes then go after someone that may or may not work. Hronek at 7.5M is better than Myers was at 6M. 

1 hour ago, Viking said:

He is just a player thats available and this is a hockey forum...someone needs to relax.

Maybe its a good trade then...Hronek rode Hughes coat tales and still fell of a cliff during the REGULAR season AND the Playoffs so maybe a good fit, just brought up as a discussion.

If you get that annoyed from a post I think you need to take a break and come back to the site near Draft Day for more legit rumours many of which STILL will NOT happen just like my suggestion...

Cheers and stay happy my fellow Canuck fan

Definitely not annoyed by your post. It’s important in these discussions about making our team better for the playoffs, to flag players who are abysmal in them.

Ehlers could actually be the worst playoff player of our generation. There is a decade-long data pool and vault of film that shows how pathetic he is in the playoffs, and how he becomes invisible and a serious net negative to his team. 

it’s unrealistic to even mention him as a possible acquisition. Allvin and Rutherford know better, as do their AGMs. 

If it were the Ehlers of the regular season, I’d love the idea of him becoming a Canuck. He’s just one of those guys, unfortunately. 

Also, if you blindly assume that I’m annoyed and need to take a break, maybe you’re the one who should be taking a break? Clearly you don’t enjoy discussions, and this is a discussion board. Food for thought. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

41 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except that cheaper FA signing doesn’t come with a top pairing RD.

It isn’t a favour, a top pairing RD is worth more than Crouse.  They take on a slightly overpaid winger to make up the difference in value.

We’ll have to just disagree. I think Hronek for Crouse gets it done one for one and adding Mik is subtraction by addition for Utah.

Edited by GrammaInTheTub

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Doesn't sound like someone unreasonable at all, not to mention the same people fall for this every negotiation. " Iguarantee JT Miller is going back to the US" "Petey will come in at 12+" "Hughes willf be 8.5-9 easy" 

Now it is the same hysteria all over again just swap out the names. 

Yep. Exactly that. Very unreasonable. 😉

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I think the Canucks and Hronek will come to an agreement. Hronek loves it in VAN, his team mates and coaches. The Canucks don't have a top pairing RD, other than Hronek, so they need to try and re-sign or spend a lot to get one. My guess is $6.75 x 5.

Then, in 2 years

Hughes - Willander

? - Hronek

Pettersson - ?

Celebrini

On what basis are you saying he loves it here and would sign for that?

He has long been able to sign an extension and hasn’t.  That is the telling result right there.  

If he was willing to sign a $6.75x 5 year deal he would have been by now.  The team would have been happy to have the cost certainty and be able to move on to other priorities by now.

All the reports have been that he wants to get paid.  Detroit was willing to let him go, quite likely because of the impending contract demands.

The team absolutely can’t go into the offseason without him signed and need to trade him by the draft.

As a cap ceiling team, not knowing what an arb award is going to be would cripple the team’s ability to make other moves or signings.  The arbitration doesn’t happen until late in the summer so the team has to keep money aside for the worst case scenario.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s already rejected 6.75x8…

I didn't know about this. If so, time to move him.

He's got no trade restrictions on his contract. Lots of teams would be happy to take a RD coming off a 48 Pt season who has some bite to his game. It seems this is why Stevey Y moved him, probably knew Hronek camp wanted too much money on an extension and got ahead of it.

To me 6.75x8 is exactly his value, and allows the Canucks to fill out a roster. For him to think he deserves in the 8 mil range is ridiculous. If you go look at the 8 mil defensemen in the league they are all light years better / Norris candidates other than Nurse and a couple of others, who's contract are nonsense.

Most are legit number 1 dmen and have been up for a Norris. We don't need to be in the group that overpaid a dman like Nurse, Seth Jones or Orlov

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/_/position/d/sort/average/dir/desc

CYA Filip, thanks for your efforts.

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I didn't know about this. If so, time to move him.

He's got no trade restrictions on his contract. Lots of teams would be happy to take a RD coming off a 48 Pt season who has some bite to his game. It seems this is why Stevey Y moved him, probably knew Hronek camp wanted too much money on an extension and got ahead of it.

To me 6.75x8 is exactly his value, and allows the Canucks to fill out a roster. For him to think he deserves in the 8 mil range is ridiculous. If you go look at the 8 mil defensemen in the league they are all light years better / Norris candidates other than Nurse, who's contract was nonsense.

CYA Filip, thanks for your efforts.

It’s all a bunch of bologna until he signs 

Just now, Devron said:

True but the Canucks don't low ball, and they don't overpay. They would only lowball if they want a player gone. I think they would like Hronek back but aren't going to pull a Darnell Nurse here. That number seems legit and reasonable given his role and effectiveness.

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

True, you don't negotiate from the extremes. There are many variables. You start at your max and negotiate. You meet somewhere in the middle. Like Bologna in a sandwich. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I really think they will sign him, it just leaves too many spots to try to fill if they do not. If his shoulder can heel he does have a bomb of a shot. I think he may have reinsured his shoulder though. He pretty much did not take a slap shot from March until 5 min left in game 7...

CAP = 26.7

Hronek 7.85 x 8

Bluegger 1.75x 4

Guentzel 9

Dillon 3x3

Myers 2.75 x 3

Chatfield 2.75 x3

Silovs 1

Duclair 4x 3

= 28.1

space = 0.35

To CHI 

Milky 

Podz

To VAN

2024 2nd and 2024 3rd

JG Petey Hogz

Dulcair Miller Brock

Suter Bluegger Garland

PDG Aman Bains

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Dillon Chatty

• Cheers 1

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

True but the Canucks don't low ball, and they don't overpay. They would only lowball if they want a player gone. I think they would like Hronek back but aren't going to pull a Darnell Nurse here. That number seems legit and reasonable given his role and effectiveness.

And there’s no reason to Darnell. Plenty of examples of way better defencemen than Darnell. signing deals recently for 7.25. Hanifin and Toews. The league knows that deal is atrocious, no one is going down that path.

Hronek can ask for 10 million if he wants, means nothing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Devron said:

And there’s no reason to Darnell. Plenty of examples of way better defencemen than Darnell. signing deals recently for 7.25. Hanifin and Toews. The league knows that deal is atrocious, no one is going down that path.

Hronek can ask for 10 million if he wants, means nothing.

Well it doesn't mean nothing if he thinks he's worth 8+ and won't sign...It means we need to trade him this offseason because you cant risk him going to Arbitration and signing a one year deal and walking as a UFA after next season...

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

Well it doesn't mean nothing if he thinks he's worth 8+ and won't sign...It means we need to trade him this offseason because you cant risk him going to Arbitration and signing a one year deal and walking as a UFA after next season...

Let him goto arbitration then, then trade him at the deadline or something. No big deal. Doesn’t seem like a player that takes criticism well. Don’t see him going to arbitration anyways. Playing scared is not the way to GM 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Devron said:

Let him goto arbitration then, then trade him at the deadline or something. No big deal. Doesn’t seem like a player that takes criticism well. Don’t see him going to arbitration anyways. Playing scared is not the way to GM 

tough guy act on the internet isn't the way to manage assets dude

this isn't the apprentice

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I really think they will sign him, it just leaves too many spots to try to fill if they do not. If his shoulder can heel he does have a bomb of a shot. I think he may have reinsured his shoulder though. He pretty much did not take a slap shot from March until 5 min left in game 7...

CAP = 26.7

Hronek 7.85 x 8

Bluegger 1.75x 4

Guentzel 9

Dillon 3x3

Myers 2.75 x 3

Chatfield 2.75 x3

Silovs 1

Duclair 4x 3

= 28.1

space = 0.35

To CHI 

Milky 

Podz

To VAN

2024 2nd and 2024 3rd

JG Petey Hogz

Dulcair Miller Brock

Suter Bluegger Garland

PDG Aman Bains

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Dillon Chatty

Hope and a prayer that Duclair is a RT type player, but I think he’d unfortunately not be a fit. 

also, that 4th line is… not ideal? 

23 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Hope and a prayer that Duclair is a RT type player, but I think he’d unfortunately not be a fit. 

Scratched in Arizona when Tocchet was the coach. 

Then traded.

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

IMHO I don't see this mgmt group being interested in AD. 

• Cheers 1

I'm a Hronek fan, but I also trust the management to understand when not to overpay. If it comes to Hronek really wanting to cash in, a thought (and dream) I had would be to negotiate something with Utah along the lines of 

To Utah:
Hronek
Hoglander or Podkolzin (would hurt to give one up, but would have to for getting someone back)
Mikheyev (to alleviate some cap)
Some sort of pick(s)

To Van:
Crouse
Durzi

- Crouse = 450k cheaper than Mikheyev
- Durzi = RFA as well, but will likely be cheaper than Hronek (maybe even about 2mil cheaper?)
- Gives us additional cap flexibility to try to re-sign Lindholm, Zadorov, Blueger and maybe even go after another RD in FA

5 minutes ago, ngoway said:

I'm a Hronek fan, but I also trust the management to understand when not to overpay. If it comes to Hronek really wanting to cash in, a thought (and dream) I had would be to negotiate something with Utah along the lines of 

To Utah:
Hronek
Hoglander or Podkolzin (would hurt to give one up, but would have to for getting someone back)
Mikheyev (to alleviate some cap)
Some sort of pick(s)

To Van:
Crouse
Durzi

- Crouse = 450k cheaper than Mikheyev
- Durzi = RFA as well, but will likely be cheaper than Hronek (maybe even about 2mil cheaper?)
- Gives us additional cap flexibility to try to re-sign Lindholm, Zadorov, Blueger and maybe even go after another RD in FA

They wouldn't trade Durzi. He had a good year and led their D in ice-time and scoring.

• Cheers 1