[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

14 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

If he files for arbitration and it goes to an arbitrator, you’re no longer able to trade him for the following year. Losing him for everything 

That's what I thought, but couldn't find any supporting evidence

24 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

If he files for arbitration and it goes to an arbitrator, you’re no longer able to trade him for the following year. Losing him for everything 

I doubt he does that, it's too risky for him. It's much much better for him to be traded to a team that wants to extend him long term. If he files, then has a down year or gets injured it costs him millions. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

A pick added on, sure, bug they'd need a player back, imo.  I'd assume any deal with hronek involved would have an extension already worked in

You COULD assume that, but you could also assume that if Hronek doesn't get the deal he wants, then he's here for one last year. It is hard to go to war with a teammate who is just putting in time until he can get the hell out of Dodge. I could be totally wrong about Hronek, but it seems like it is more about the money and term than anything else. I just get Christian Ehrhoff vibes from Hronek: like, show me the money and I might stay and if you won't, I'll play out my deal and leave. My sense is that Allvin won't keep a player who doesn't want to be here, so that's why I think it would be prudent to move Hronek if he won't sign and elects arbitration.

Honestly,

If Hronek won't take an identical contract to Severson (who signed last year) for 50 mil over 8 years (6.25 aav), and who is a clone in terms of production but has done it for longer, is also a RD who can skate....say buh bye...trade him.

That's the comp I am betting the Canucks are pointing to and its the right one.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

You COULD assume that, but you could also assume that if Hronek doesn't get the deal he wants, then he's here for one last year. It is hard to go to war with a teammate who is just putting in time until he can get the hell out of Dodge. I could be totally wrong about Hronek, but it seems like it is more about the money and term than anything else. I just get Christian Ehrhoff vibes from Hronek: like, show me the money and I might stay and if you won't, I'll play out my deal and leave. My sense is that Allvin won't keep a player who doesn't want to be here, so that's why I think it would be prudent to move Hronek if he won't sign and elects arbitration.

I'm all for trading him, absolutely.  I just think, at this stage, it needs to be a hockey trade with a roster player(s) coming back

• Like 2

"I think it starts with a 12. I don’t know it’s $12.5, $12.25, $12.75 — either way, it’s going to be significant."

-- Seravelli on Pettersson's extension.

So about that $8M for Hronek eh?  ...

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

I don't see a scenario where Hronek is traded, yes it can happen but no I don't see the Canucks moving him. We are all spinning our wheels and there is most likely a document prepared just waiting to the end of the month to put pen to paper, same with Myers.

• Thanks 1

it's interesting in the $8 million figure was put out to the public when Hronek's value was the highest. Obviously that was going to change given the back half of the season.

I posted this yesterday from his agent, which to me looks to be like his camp is coming off that hard line "somewhat" to negotiate by creating different dialogue.

“He loves Vancouver,” explained agent Allan Walsh on a recent episode of SDPN’s Agent Provocateur podcast. “The organization, from the time that he was traded when they were a non-playoff team, and now they are not just a playoff team but legitimate contenders. He loves the guys. I think he has great rapport and respect for the coaches, and he loves the city. You go in, and you’re really upfront about how much he likes it and would like to stay, and you hope that there’s a way to make it happen."

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I don't see a scenario where Hronek is traded, yes it can happen but no I don't see the Canucks moving him. We are all spinning our wheels and there is most likely a document prepared just waiting to the end of the month to put pen to paper, same with Myers.

While I tend to lean that way too, it's down to 2-3 weeks here, almost 5 months after the initial offer.........

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

it's interesting in the $8 million figure was put out to the public when Hronek's value was the highest. Obviously that was going to change given the back half of the season.

I posted this yesterday from his agent, which to me looks to be like his camp is coming off that hard line "somewhat" to negotiate by creating different dialogue.

“He loves Vancouver,” explained agent Allan Walsh on a recent episode of SDPN’s Agent Provocateur podcast. “The organization, from the time that he was traded when they were a non-playoff team, and now they are not just a playoff team but legitimate contenders. He loves the guys. I think he has great rapport and respect for the coaches, and he loves the city. You go in, and you’re really upfront about how much he likes it and would like to stay, and you hope that there’s a way to make it happen."

That sounds pretty good... Make it start with a 7 and git er dun.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm all for trading him, absolutely.  I just think, at this stage, it needs to be a hockey trade with a roster player(s) coming back

Yes, I see your point. My first option would be to try to replace Hronek via trade, and maybe it might be easier in the off-season. Hope so, because I am not sold on Hronek, who seems to runout of gas almost every season by the middle of January.

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

"I think it starts with a 12. I don’t know it’s $12.5, $12.25, $12.75 — either way, it’s going to be significant."

-- Seravelli on Pettersson's extension.

So about that $8M for Hronek eh?  ...

Yup, that's something I keep pushing, none of the media guys really know what numbers are being discussed, it's all wild speculation on their part. They don't have any magical inroad with the agents or management. Allvin isn't secretly coming to Seravelli or any of the other guys saying, "Hey, this is what we're thinking of offering Hronek, what do you think? To Much? Too Little???? TELL US WHAT TO DO, YOU'RE THE MEDIA, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!"

The idea that anyone knows what Detroit is ready to offer Joshua is laughable. That doesn't get leaked, it's called tampering. They aren't allowed to have contact with free agents until after the draft unless they get permission from the team first. Until July 1st, Joshua is under contract with the Canucks. Another team can't dangle anything saying, "Hey...wait till July 1, then we'll talk..."

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, that's something I keep pushing, none of the media guys really know what numbers are being discussed, it's all wild speculation on their part. They don't have any magical inroad with the agents or management. Allvin isn't secretly coming to Seravelli or any of the other guys saying, "Hey, this is what we're thinking of offering Hronek, what do you think? To Much? Too Little???? TELL US WHAT TO DO, YOU'RE THE MEDIA, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!"

The idea that anyone knows what Detroit is ready to offer Joshua is laughable. That doesn't get leaked, it's called tampering. They aren't allowed to have contact with free agents until after the draft unless they get permission from the team first. Until July 1st, Joshua is under contract with the Canucks. Another team can't dangle anything saying, "Hey...wait till July 1, then we'll talk..."

In fairness to what actually happens behind closed doors, it's pretty obvious that agents, players, and teams talk before July 1st.  If it truly was a hands off approach until the UFA season opens, then we clearly wouldn't see players signing deals within minutes of the UFA market opening.  It couldn't possibly be the case that these guys decide on millions of dollars in deals and sign them all within literally minutes of one another, committing $100s of millions of dollars to contracts with pay structures, length of deals, bonuses if applicable, NMC/NTC/etc for which years of the deal, etc etc.  There's WAY too much determined, WAY too quickly for there to not have been discussions beforehand behind closed doors.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, The Duke said:

What are the deadlines on Hronek vs Free agency?  Would be nice if management knew their options as a Hronek trade isn’t going to return a top pair RD. 

I still think it gets done. Going 7.5 or whatever on Hronek will be fine so long as he’s stapled to Hughes.  Maybe not a bargain, but we’ll get our moneys worth as he puts up 50-ish points playing 24 min a night.

He logs a lot of minutes. That's important to that pairing. the real value, imo, is the success of the pair. Especially with their best yet to come. That dollar figure - even at $7.5 could look really great if they're tearing up the league together in their prime.

• Cheers 1

How much would Hronek get as a UFA?  Maybe $8M to $8.5M AAV?  That's over 7 years though.

Canucks could offer a $7M x 8, or $7.4M x 8 and come to about the same as those $8M+ UFA offers. 

That's the reality of it.  If Canucks offer $7.5M x 8, then the UFA equivalent offer would be nearly $8.6M.  Really don't think he would get that on the open market.

This deal is gonna get done.  Just a matter of where between $7M and $7.5M.  Likely 8 years, and I'm good with that.  It takes him to 34 years old.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The $8M figure was floating around as the reason Detroit traded him before he had a career year here. 
Who knows how much truth to it though. 
Agent quotes always need to be taken with a grain of sand, they are like politicians with less honesty. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The $8M figure was floating around as the reason Detroit traded him before he had a career year here. 
Agent quotes always need to be taken with a grain of sand, they are like politicians with less honesty. 

If they walk away from a $7.5M x 8 offer, they are walking away from the equivalent UFA offer of $8.6M x 7 in terms of actual dollars. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yeah, that's why I have a hard time with Dhaliwal. He's an agent tool posing as an insider.

My point was just more that his play came down to earth after the $8 mill figure and when his value was high ... even in Detroit. This is a good thing in bringing the figure down to something more reasonable.

31 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think PA and JR played hardball and leveraged having to uproot everything hex ever known against Petey.  I don't see that same leverage with Hronek

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, that's why I have a hard time with Dhaliwal. He's an agent tool posing as an insider.

My point was just more that his play came down to earth after the $8 mill figure and when his value was high ... even in Detroit. This is a good thing in bringing the figure down to something more reasonable.

Why don’t people realize this more. Any time they give a report from him they should preface it with a big grain of salt.

The only reason he became an insider is because agents realized they can use him to bargain through the media.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why don’t people realize this more. Any time they give a report from him they should preface it with a big grain of salt.

The only reason he became an insider is because agents realized they can use him to bargain through the media.

Yep. Exactly. The Canucks also use him in the same capacity. JR has used him expertly in his time here.

People don't have anything better in this market. The media in this market are ripe for disruption and innovation. Huge opportunity at some point.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Honestly,

If Hronek won't take an identical contract to Severson (who signed last year) for 50 mil over 8 years (6.25 aav), and who is a clone in terms of production but has done it for longer, is also a RD who can skate....say buh bye...trade him.

That's the comp I am betting the Canucks are pointing to and it’s the right one.

Hronek is career .53 ppg

Severson is career .41 ppg. 

they’ve had some seasons that had similar production, but hronek has been far more productive, more consistently in his shorter career.