[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

What it might take is go to arbitration. Find a steady dman to play alongside Hughes. Let Hronek anchor his own pairing (no inflated stats) and when he puts up 35 points next season let’s see who wants to offer him 8 mill a season in free agency. Tell his agent we’re interested in matching the highest bid and also adding in an 8th year on the contract. He’ll be signed for 7ish million for 8 years when they see nobody wants to spend that much on him.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

I feel like Hronek playing along side Huggy is a miss allocation of funds. If he can carry his own pair then he may be worth 8m but we didn't see him do that. There isn't a 6-7m disparity between Schenn and Hronek as a partner for Hugs. Hughes would thrive with a 4-5m D partner that can log significant minutes, hold the fort and feather a pass along the blueline.

There is only one puck. Hronek needs the play to run through him to realize 8m being a +value as long as he plays with Hugs the play will run through Hughes and Hronek will pick up byproduct points for performing a duty that could be done by a more cost efficient player suited to that skill set.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Which asset? 

I mentioned a couple, but there's definitely more options out there

Laine, boqvist, 3rd pick

Hronek and mikahev

Or

drop the pick and ask for retention on laine instead.  Or ask for sillinger instead of boqvist.

Kotkaniemi, morrow, 1st rounder

For

Hronek and Mikhaev

Kakko, trouba, othman/sykora (or maybe both of you're taking trouba and kakko), 1st pick

For

Hronek, Mikhaev

Those kinds of deal bring in assets as well as roster flexibility

Edited by stawns
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

What it might take is go to arbitration. Find a steady dman to play alongside Hughes. Let Hronek anchor his own pairing (no inflated stats) and when he puts up 35 points next season let’s see who wants to offer him 8 mill a season in free agency. Tell his agent we’re interested in matching the highest bid and also adding in an 8th year on the contract. He’ll be signed for 7ish million for 8 years when they see nobody wants to spend that much on him.

Very good strategy. Have a prove it season. He certainly isn’t putting up the same number of points or more without QH. The majority of his assists were secondary. He gives the puck to Quinn and gets points because of it 

18 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Very good strategy. Have a prove it season. He certainly isn’t putting up the same number of points or more without QH. The majority of his assists were secondary. He gives the puck to Quinn and gets points because of it 

Would be a good strategy. But also risk losing him for nothing if he signs a one year deal. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

I mentioned a couple, but there's definitely more options out there

Laine, boqvist, 3rd pick

Hronek and mikahev

Or

drop the pick and ask for retention on laine instead.  Or ask for sillinger instead of boqvist.

Kotkaniemi, morrow, 1st rounder

For

Hronek and Mikhaev

Kakko, trouba, othman/sykora (or maybe both of you're taking trouba and kakko), 1st pick

For

Hronek, Mikhaev

Those kinds of deal bring in assets as well as roster flexibility

Yep I can see a path to any of those working 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep I can see a path to any of those working 

It's risky and a big swing, but I think they need to do something risky and out of the box to get to the next level.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's risky and a big swing, but I think they need to do something risky and out of the box to get to the next level.

I don’t like Laine, but I’d do the second deal.

Edited by Snoop Hogg

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

100%.

Of course there will be an error or two in the mix but I like this management group and the scouting group is more than a drunk weekend for Benning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I don’t like Laine, but I’d do the second deal.

I like the Laine deal, as that one has the most upside and probably the least downside.  He's a pretty prolific scorer, even when he's down in the dumps.......if they get him on track, he could be a 50 goal, 90 point guy........and he's only got two years left .  I'm on the fence if I'd want boqvist or sillinger as both fill a need

The Kotkaniemi one I like too because I think there's so much potential there for JK to grow and I like morrow as well.

The Trouba/Kakko one is the riskiest and most out of the box, but I think it could be a big win, especially if they could get sykora and othmann

Edited by stawns

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I like the Laine deal, as that one has the most upside and probably the least downside.  He's a pretty prolific scorer, even when he's down in the dumps.......if they get him on track, he could be a 50 goal, 90 point guy........and he's only got two years left .  I'm on the fence if I'd want boqvist or sillinger as both fill a need

The Kotkaniemi one I like too because I think there's so much potential there for JK to grow and I like morrow as well.

The Trouba/Kakko one is the riskiest and most out of the box, but I think it could be a big win, especially if they could get sykora and othmann

I have my doubts about Laine fitting into Tocchet’s system, being a one-dimensional sniper. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

100%.

Of course there will be an error or two in the mix but I like this management group and the scouting group is more than a drunk weekend for Benning.

I honestly think that kind of deal is their best path forward with the cap space they have.  We hear people here, all the time, talking about weaponizing cap space..... well, that's how you do it.  And, if they do it right, they can solve some issues in the now and also plan for the future.

• MillerTime 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

100%.

Oh man, Weekend At Benning’s would be a hilarious spoof of a movie.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I have my doubts about Laine fitting into Tocchet’s system, being a one-dimensional sniper. 

Maybe he's ready now? I didn't realize how much he was going through personally.

Just now, Snoop Hogg said:

Sure, there's risk no doubt.  That said, one thing I don't worry about with Finns is not having that base of knowledge, at least.  He might be one dimensional, but he would have been taught a two way game from a young age.......all theyd need from him is buy in.

On the flip side, despite the rhetoric, they desperately need some pure offense in their lineup and RT needs to be more flexible on that, imo

Just now, Bob Long said:

Maybe he's ready now? I didn't realize how much he was going through personally.

This is also last chance gas for Laine.  If he shits the bed for the next two years, hrs probably back in Europe and missing out on tens of millions of dollars.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Sure, there's risk no doubt.  That said, one thing I don't worry about with Finns is not having that base of knowledge, at least.  He might be one dimensional, but he would have been taught a two way game from a young age.......all theyd need from him is buy in.

On the flip side, despite the rhetoric, they desperately need some pure offense in their lineup and RT needs to be more flexible on that, imo

100% team buy-in to the defense-first mindset is what has led to the panthers' success - sam bennett. 

Just now, stawns said:

This is also last chance gas for Laine.  If he shits the bed for the next two years, hrs probably back in Europe and missing out on tens of millions of dollars.

Yep. Although he strikes me as the type that could be happy living a simple life.

It's a heck of an interesting project.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It depends on the player. Sometimes it works, like Boeser and sometimes, like Kuzmenko, it does not. I have a feeling Laine is more like Kuz, unfortunately, based on what we’ve seen from him in his career so far.

Just now, tas said:

100% team buy-in to the defense-first mindset is what has led to the panthers' success - sam bennett. 

And Laine, being a finn, has that training, it's a matter of activating that training

Just now, stawns said:

And Laine, being a finn, has that training, it's a matter of activating that training

that's a pretty huge leap of faith after the first 8 years of his career in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Yep. Although he strikes me as the type that could be happy living a simple life.

It's a heck of an interesting project.

Then you move Miller into the bumper dpog and have Petey and Laine blasting from either side

Boeser

Laine                              Petey 

Miller

Hughes