[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

1 minute ago, tas said:

that's a pretty huge leap of faith after the first 8 years of his career in my opinion. 

Again, that's how you weaponize cap space and also why you don't settle for just laine....... you get sweeteners with him so if it doesn't work out, you still get value.

1 minute ago, tas said:

that's a pretty huge leap of faith after the first 8 years of his career in my opinion. 

Yeah…I mean if it had been a few years…maybe even 4 or 5, you could chalk it up to bad coaching or something, but 8 is a stretch.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Then you move Miller into the bumper dpog and have Petey and Laine blasting from either side

Boeser

Laine                              Petey 

Miller

Hughes 

Wow... Imagine having to think about Petey and Laine on the same PP.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

It depends on the player. Sometimes it works, like Boeser and sometimes, like Kuzmenko, it does not. I have a feeling Laine is more like Kuz, unfortunately, based on what we’ve seen from him in his career so far.

Russians don't generally pound two way hockey into young players, they focus on skill.  The finns always, always drill two way hockey into their development programs......probably more than any other hockey nation

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

For as great as Petey can shoot from that spot, Laine is another tier above that, imo.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, that's how you weaponize cap space and also why you don't settle for just laine....... you get sweeteners with him so if it doesn't work out, you still get value.

not a project i see tocchet being interested in taking on, personally, but i could certainly be wrong. 

4 minutes ago, tas said:

not a project i see tocchet being interested in taking on, personally, but i could certainly be wrong. 

RT isn't the GM.  His job is to work with the players he's given

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

RT isn't the GM.  His job is to work with the players he's given

ha, you really think there's a firewall in this group? come on man. they're hugely collaborative, his input is at least as valuable as that of any professional scout. 

they cut bait real quick on kuzmenko for a reason. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, tas said:

ha, you really think there's a firewall in this group? come on man. they're hugely collaborative, his input is at least as valuable as that of any professional scout. 

they cut bait real quick on kuzmenko for a reason. 

They're collaborative in the context that RT says "I'd like this style of player" and pa ries to get that for him.  I highly doubt they collaborate on moves beyond that.  A coach's job is to coach the players he's given.......always has been, always will be

Just now, stawns said:

They're collaborative in the context that RT says "I'd like this style of player" and pa ries to get that for him.  I highly doubt they collaborate on moves beyond that.  A coach's job is to coach the players he's given.......always has been, always will be

yeah, and laine is the exact opposite of the kind of player he'd be asking for. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

yeah, and laine is the exact opposite of the kind of player he'd be asking for. 

And they couldn't score enough to win when it mattered.  The GM's job is to see the bigger picture and adjust.  RT's job is to take those players and make the bigger picture work.  

They're going nowhere if RT doesn't adjust a bit, imo

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

And they couldn't score enough to win when it mattered.  The GM's job is to see the bigger picture and adjust.  RT's job is to take those players and make the bigger picture work.  

I couldn't disagree more. the problem is the team got away from their principles more and more as the season went along. 

as tocc has stated himself already this offseason, if anything, he needs to be more rigid with his demands. nobody gets a free pass. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope. Got to disagree. We didn’t win the Cup because Demko wasn’t available and Petey was trying to play on one leg. IMHAO some of our fans need to accept we have very good management, excellent coaching, and great players. Benning (the moran) is gone. We are a great club now and will win several Cups during this era of greatness. 

8 minutes ago, tas said:

I couldn't disagree more. the problem is the team got away from their principles more and more as the season went along. 

as tocc has stated himself already this offseason, if anything, he needs to be more rigid with his demands. nobody gets a free pass. 

Exactly! We beat the loser Coilers if we have Demko and that’s even with Petey on one leg. So sad some of our fans (are they our fans?) can’t accept that we have great management, great coaching, and great players. It’s almost like some of these posters want us to not succeed. While they prefer other clubs. Interesting, isn’t it? 

27 minutes ago, tas said:

Can't win on 14 shots a game and a shitty pp.  Everyone and his dog was complaining about the lack of offense.  To pretend it was any different is ridiculous.

The key to generating more offense is not doubling down on defense........and I love defensive hockey.  They need to swing the pendulum back the other way a bit

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Can't win on 14 shots a game and a shitty pp.  Everyone and his dog was complaining about the lack of offense.  To pretend it was any different is ridiculous.

The key to generating more offense is not doubling down on defense........and I love defensive hockey.  They need to swing the pendulum back the other way a bit

do you think tocchet was telling them to play poorly offensively? they were doing the exact opposite of what he wanted on the powerplay and he's already said he won't be as tolerant going forward, and they stopped playing to their staples. 

edit: for the first half of the year they were blowing teams out regularly, led the NHL goal differential race by a country mile. 

Edited by tas

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

But the same problem of zone entry will persist. None of our guys can really enter the zone and set up smoothly except for Hughes. We need a guy who can do that. Laine isn’t really gonna do that effectively. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, tonyk8260411 said:

But the same problem of zone entry will persist. None of our guys can really enter the zone and set up smoothly except for Hughes. We need a guy who can do that. Laine isn’t really gonna do that effectively. 

I think the answer is staring them in the face.........the Oilers entry is good because they have a player who can dipsy doodle his way into the zone because he's an elite skater.

The canucks have too, they just don't use him the same way

16 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Guentzel >>>>Laine  and we are talking about likely 300k in cap difference lol 

I think JG gets more than 9, also Laine would be a package deal bringing some extra pieces in. JG is the #1 UFA this year no way he doesn't get an offer over 9. 

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

We clearly have a different definition of free

Yep.  When you acquire a player without having to give up any assets other than handing out a contract, then the player is free.  Not sure what you define as a free player acquisition. 

• Like 1