[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

just add whoever we need to make this team the most competitive it can be for the next 2 years.. if it's guentzel so be it.. our most realistic shot at anything imo is the next 2 years.. after that it's going to be question marks with the biggest one in net.. do we part with demko and go with silov? or do we sign a 30 year old demko to a 8+ mil contract that will likely be his minimum? if we part with demko will demko be good enough or we back to question marks in net?

1 minute ago, German Canuck said:

How do you explain this to the core players?

They have enough of losing and want to win and go far in the playoffs.

What you want is a retool and i think we had enough of this shit years.

Now and after this great season its time to go for it and not to wait another 4, 5 or 6 years to make the playoffs and win one or two rounds

Well, they've got 11 players who are either Ufa or rfa.......it's a re-tool regardless. 

And who said they shouldn't try to win now?  I just think there's better ways to do it, other than signing older player to massive, long term deals.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

just add whoever we need to make this team the most competitive it can be for the next 2 years.. if it's guentzel so be it.. our most realistic shot at anything imo is the next 2 years.. after that it's going to be question marks with the biggest one in net.. do we part with demko and go with silov? or do we sign a 30 year old demko to a 8+ mil contract that will likely be his minimum? if we part with demko will demko be good enough or we back to question marks in net?

And then what, another decade like we just went through?  They need a better plan than that, imo

Hronek’s end of season presser might have been an indicator of a guy that doesn’t want to deal with the media here for the next 7-8 years.

If he’s not moving from 8+ maybe he’s just trying to force a trade out. Purely speculation but I never got the sense from him that he liked being here like Zadorov 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Hronek’s end of season presser might have been an indicator of a guy that doesn’t want to deal with the media here for the next 7-8 years.

If he’s not moving from 8+ maybe he’s just trying to force a trade out. Purely speculation but I never got the sense from him that he liked being here like Zadorov 

I'd probably agree with that and I think Lindholms demands in Calgary served the same purpose 

Truthfully, I think Hronek as an asset opens up a lot of possibilities 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, they've got 11 players who are either Ufa or rfa.......it's a re-tool regardless. 

And who said they shouldn't try to win now?  I just think there's better ways to do it, other than signing older player to massive, long term deals.

I think the team is in a position now to start doing sort of yearly reloads, filling in the mid-range with value support pieces as they come available.

but with miller locked in for the term he is, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea in my opinion to lock in a similarly aged high-end winger for the same time frame. makes sense to me as a nucleus to build around. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

I think the team is in a position now to start doing sort of yearly reloads, filling in the mid-range with value support pieces as they come available.

but with miller locked in for the term he is, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea in my opinion to lock in a similarly aged high-end winger for the same time frame. makes sense to me as a nucleus to build around. 

I dont disagree and they need to support the core, as is.  Again, I just don't think huge, long term contracts is the best way to do it 

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

There's also Boes' contract, Hughes contract, demko's contract, lek's development and OEL's huge buyout penalty to consider in the next 2-3 years.  

A huge, long term deal for JG makes all of those much more difficult to manage.  To me, JG doesn't make sense........hopefully PA feels the same

Exactly 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I dont disagree and they need to support the core, as is.  Again, I just don't think huge, long term contracts is the best way to do it 

I kind of agree but I’m not sure which way management will go. The only guy they’ve committed long to that’s older is Miller.. and so far, so good on that bet.  I could see them doing something similar for Zadorov… but again that’s a high character piece that can both play and act as a culture carrier. 

It’s going to be hard to set a long term contender window but also very hard to improve on this year’s roster.  Maybe we do see a lateral move or even a step back with some future minded moves.  

Time is ticking with Demko, Hughes sweetheart deals.. and Miller can’t sustain 100 points a season forever. 

I’m certainly curious to see how JR / Allvin play it out.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I certainly wouldn't do it for just anybody, but with management's comfort level with this particular player, and my comfort level with management's decision making, I'd roll the dice on guentzel. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I kind of agree but I’m not sure which way management will go. The only guy they’ve committed long to that’s older is Miller.. and so far, so good on that bet.  I could see them doing something similar for Zadorov… but again that’s a high character piece that can both play and act as a culture carrier. 

It’s going to be hard to set a long term contender window but also very hard to improve on this year’s roster.  Maybe we do see a lateral move or even a step back with some future minded moves.  

Time is ticking with Demko, Hughes sweetheart deals.. and Miller can’t sustain 100 points a season forever. 

I'm not sure either and Im not making a prediction, just how I think they should approach it

I agree time is running out on those things, but you can't force success, there's too many variables out of your control.......that's why I hope they make moves that give them a shot now, but also a succession plan to stay competitive if things do t work out with this immediate window. 

Right now, if they don't win in the next three years, it's gonna be ugly for another decade or so 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, The Duke said:

As I've said, I do think there's a way to use their cap space to do both, but it comes with risk as well

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, tas said:

I certainly wouldn't do it for just anybody, but with management's comfort level with this particular player, and my comfort level with management's decision making, I'd roll the dice on guentzel. 

Guentzel is a fairly unique opportunity- and would boost top 6 and PP production.  Id trust management’s familiarity with the player in this situation as well. 

Having him and Miller locked up for almost 20 mil in their mid 30s while needing to give Hughes 12 mil will be ugly, though. 

OTOH we aren’t improving without another top offensive piece up front anyways.  Not that Guentzel is the only guy who could do it, I guess.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Guentzel is a fairly unique opportunity- and would boost top 6 and PP production.  Id trust management’s familiarity with the player in this situation as well. 

Having him and Miller locked up for almost 20 mil in their mid 30s while needing to give Hughes 12 mil will be ugly, though. 

OTOH we aren’t improving without another top offensive piece up front anyways.  Not that Guentzel is the only guy who could do it, I guess.

And two years of OEL at almost $5m just as they need to do those deals.

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

And then what, another decade like we just went through?  They need a better plan than that, imo

I think the question is, are the Canucks willing to take a small step back for a couple of years to have a longer window. 

In principle I agree with your view, but my guess is the team and management are now all in after this year. They don’t want to wait until say Podz, Lekk and Willander are ready to be buyers.

i understand why, as who’s to say the future will be better? Hard to predict. 

but your points on Guentzel do have me leaning more your way now 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure either and Im not making a prediction, just how I think they should approach it

I agree time is running out on those things, but you can't force success, there's too many variables out of your control.......that's why I hope they make moves that give them a shot now, but also a succession plan to stay competitive if things do t work out with this immediate window. 

Right now, if they don't win in the next three years, it's gonna be ugly for another decade or so 

Didn’t you predict it would be ugly this year back before the season started? 

• Like 1

Given @stawns posts I’m leaning more to taking the flyer on Laine now 

he’ll be cheap, probably get some retention. If they’re ok with his mental state, And his only concern is health, well it’s only 2 years and you go shopping for a trade if he goes on LTIR. 

lower financial risk, high upside skill wise 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And two years of OEL at almost $5m just as they need to do those deals.

And D- Petey and Willander coming into the lineup to coincide with the OELevater two 4.5 years. We have smart management again, who actually plan. Benning (the moran) is gone. 

11 minutes ago, The Duke said:

And Geuntzel comes free. 

2 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Given @stawns posts I’m leaning more to taking the flyer on Laine now 

he’ll be cheap, probably get some retention. If they’re ok with his mental state, And his only concern is health, well it’s only 2 years and you go shopping for a trade if he goes on LTIR. 

lower financial risk, high upside skill wise 

And with our current core and coaches Laine will likely get the message and have a big comeback year. 
Garland + Mik for Laine + CBJ’s top defensive prospect seems about right. 
If we miss out on JG. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And with our current core and coaches Laine will likely get the message and have a big comeback year. 
Garland + Mik for Laine + CBJ’s top defensive prospect seems about right. 
If we miss out on JG. 

That’s the hope. I only worry about Laine being a problem in the dressing room, concerned about his character. 

but he’s been in NHL player assistance so perhaps that’s been the cause of his issues and he’s trying to sort them out 

He comes with a lot of risk but a lot of upside so it really comes down to the cost 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

OEL Buyout is not really a problem if everything goes right with Lekk and Willander

Yeah if Lekkermaki is ready by next year or so I think giving Toffoli a 2/3 year deal is the better way to go to get more offensive output from peteys line. Short term fix not as good as JG but gonna get 20+ goals with Petey 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, German Canuck said:

Iam ok with a trade for Laine but Mikheyev have to go the other way.

If not it doesnt make sense 

Who is that young centre Columbus has? Is it Sillinger? He struggle a lot this past season. Maybe there’s a deal where they get Mik + Garland and we get Sillinger + Laine? 
Would they like Hronek?