[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

As I've said, I do think there's a way to use their cap space to do both, but it comes with risk as well

For sure.  Going out and taking Kotkaniemi or Laine with either some retention or some assets back would be a huge gamble but also with some serious reward potential. No buzz around it, but this group is pretty quiet. 

I also trust this staff and leadership group to help guys fit in.  Laine has in particular has played in some absolutely dysfunctional locker rooms.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t you predict it would be ugly this year back before the season started? 

It's really easy to keep predicting a step back every year because it is bound to happen eventually.  Doesn't take any understanding of the game of hockey at all to make that prediction.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

For sure.  Going out and taking Kotkaniemi or Laine with either some retention or some assets back would be a huge gamble but also with some serious reward potential. No buzz around it, but this group is pretty quiet. 

I also trust this staff and leadership group to help guys fit in.  Laine has in particular has played in some absolutely dysfunctional locker rooms.

JK plays with some nasty too. Is Mik For JK fair? 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah if Lekkermaki is ready by next year or so I think giving Toffoli a 2/3 year deal is the better way to go to get more offensive output from peteys line. Short term fix not as good as JG but gonna get 20+ goals with Petey 

I have a feeling Toffoli will go back to LA, assuming they have the cap room 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Alflives said:

JK plays with some nasty too. Is Mik For JK fair? 

It’s fair if they’re really concerned about the term - but from a competitive standpoint they’d probably prefer to just keep JK next season.  But maybe they make the trade and buy out Mik as it’s the more palatable buyout. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

It's really easy to keep predicting a step back every year because it is bound to happen eventually.  Doesn't take any understanding of the game of hockey at all to make that prediction.  

Considering we won our division with 109 points and were a healthy Demko from the Conference Final, it’s likely we get less points next season. But we are still going to be a 100+ point team and likely to have a deep playoff run. 
I wonder if some posters have forgotten just how amazing Demko is, especially in the playoffs? IMHAO he is our most important player and the key to us winning a Cup. 

2 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I have a feeling Toffoli will go back to LA, assuming they have the cap room 

Wasn’t there a rumour that Tofu would prefer (after his time on three clubs up here) to head back south? 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

And then what, another decade like we just went through?  They need a better plan than that, imo

Well we don’t know it all depends on what happens with goaltending it’s not something we can control or the management can foresee. Are you comfortable giving Demko a helly like contract? I’m not. He haven’t even showed me he’s capable of playing more than 50 games yet. Silov may or may not be the next guy who knows. What we do know is we have 2 guaranteed years with Demko at his current cap hit after that who knows 

• Desmenko 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly this. It's a numbers game. As it was when we sucked for years. It was easy to be right. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I enjoy reading others’ perspectives  but if that poster is an ex player and school teacher then old drunk Alf is actually his character: a furry arsed 80’’s sitcom puppet from outer space. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

What about Garland + Mik for JK and the rights to Geuntzel? 

I don’t think Carolina want the cap dump back in any shape or form they have 23 mil now and 28 if they move jk but takes back 10mil so 18 to sound drury Jarvis skecji maybe necas and let pesce walk. I think they’ll be happier to re-sign everyone they had than take on mik and garland 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

No coz jk contract is till forever at least mik only have 2 years at worse 

And he's only 23, so a long contract at that age is a plus, not a negative.  He's cost controlled for the foreseeable future.  It's also very buyout friendly.

As a 22 year old, he had 18 goals and 43 points, so I'd say he was playing to his contract at that point and if they could get him back to that, at least, hrs a fair deal

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don’t think Carolina want the cap dump back in any shape or form they have 23 mil now and 28 if they move jk but takes back 10mil so 18 to sound drury Jarvis skecji maybe necas and let pesce walk. I think they’ll be happier to re-sign everyone they had than take on mik and garland 

I think if they were getting hronek too, they might be more willing to absorb Miks contract.  

Mik might not also be a cap dump kind of deal if he can train normally this summer and get back to who he was before

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Well we don’t know it all depends on what happens with goaltending it’s not something we can control or the management can foresee. Are you comfortable giving Demko a helly like contract? I’m not. He haven’t even showed me he’s capable of playing more than 50 games yet. Silov may or may not be the next guy who knows. What we do know is we have 2 guaranteed years with Demko at his current cap hit after that who knows 

I love Demko, but I'm starting to think it's time to move on.  He's just not reliable

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

And he's only 23, so a long contract at that age is a plus, not a negative.  He's cost controlled for the foreseeable future.  It's also very buyout friendly.

As a 22 year old, he had 18 goals and 43 points, so I'd say he was playing to his contract at that point and if they could get him back to that, at least, hrs a fair deal

Always liked how JK plays. He doesn’t cheat the game for offence. 
Could he be this club’s Manny Malholtra? 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think if they were getting hronek too, they might be more willing to absorb Miks contract.  

Mik might not also be a cap dump kind of deal if he can train normally this summer and get back to who he was before

They might as well keep pesces who’s cheaper and then sign a forward that can do what mik do for less

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I love Demko, but I'm starting to think it's time to move on.  He's just not reliable

Ya I like him too but if he can’t last past 50 games next season it’s time to look to move him I’ve said it before the only season he played over 50. His game and stats fell off the map after 50 games due to fatigue. Every other season he doesn’t survive 50. RT style doesn’t make it easy for the goalie either. They take so much shots and work harder than most 

Edited by wai_lai416

isee it as, if we sign 4 of our FA's we'll only need to pick up a winger for petey and another defenseman.

i still see guentzel for petey and either dillon for zadorov or someone for hronek.

i don't see laine, toffoli or JK as the forward we need.

of course there will be a risk in the length of term. the same as we have with miller.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Given @stawns posts I’m leaning more to taking the flyer on Laine now 

he’ll be cheap, probably get some retention. If they’re ok with his mental state, And his only concern is health, well it’s only 2 years and you go shopping for a trade if he goes on LTIR. 

lower financial risk, high upside skill wise 

Physical and mental health wound be a concern, but man the payoff of it works!

He's got two years left and he gets back on track you use him to bolster your team for the next year and a half, then deal him when his value is at it's highest.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Ya I like him too but if he can’t last past 50 games next season it’s time to look to move him I’ve said it before the only season he played over 50. His game and stats fell off the map after 50 games due to fatigue. Every other season he doesn’t survive 50

IMHAO we need Demko to win the Cup. But he sure would return a lot in trade. 

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

They might as well keep pesces who’s cheaper and then sign a forward that can do what mik do for less

Well, I assume they want to get younger and more offense from their backend.  That's not pesce.

Ultimately, I'd like to see them use hronrk to get a package including Laine from CBJ or to the rangers for a package around trouba and then see if they can get JK another way 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, I assume they want to get younger and more offense from their backend.  That's not pesce.

Ultimately, I'd like to see them use hronrk to get a package including Laine from CBJ or to the rangers for a package around trouba and then see if they can get JK another way 

I have one problem with Laine. He is absolutely not a player for Tocchets style to play the game.

If you like to see Hronek in a trade then it should be for Necas but not for Laine.

That is way too much overpayment.

Edited by German Canuck