[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

47 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

I have one problem with Laine. He is absolutely not a player for Tocchets style to play the game.

If you like to see Hronek in a trade then it should be for Necas but not for Laine.

That is way too much overpayment.

They're not getting necas for hronek, we already know that and the point is to weaponize cap space and take advantage of teams and pick up prospects as well as a distressed asset, like laine.

It's gamble, for sure, but finns are all taught a 200 ft game from the time they're old enough to skate.  The base of knowledge is there, they just need buy in.

This is Laine's last chance at generational wealth, he'd be worth the gamble, imo ........especially if they're getting sweeteners on top of it

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're not getting necas for hronek,

I actually think this is a mistake by Carolina if true. 

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

we already know that and the point is to weaponize cap space and take advantage of teams and pick up prospects as well as a distressed asset, like laine.

It's gamble, for sure, but finns are all taught a 200 ft game from the time they're old enough to skate.  The base of knowledge is there, they just need buy in.

This is Laine's last chance at generational wealth, he'd be worth the gamble, imo ........especially if they're getting sweeteners on top of it

I want the finals to end already so we can get on with the fun stuff with our team.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I actually think this is a mistake by Carolina if true. 

I want the finals to end already so we can get on with the fun stuff with our team.

I think it's a bad move by Carolina as well 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, I assume they want to get younger and more offense from their backend.  That's not pesce.

Ultimately, I'd like to see them use hronrk to get a package including Laine from CBJ or to the rangers for a package around trouba and then see if they can get JK another way 

I think Laine will get the kuzmenko treatment from RT trouba will never play in Canada. He literally told all the Canadians team to F off last time still don’t want jk unless they are retaining on him 4.85 is too much for a 3c that may or may not live up to his contract 

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think Laine will get the kuzmenko treatment from RT trouba will never play in Canada. He literally told all the Canadians team to F off last time still don’t want jk unless they are retaining on him 4.85 is too much for a 3c that may or may not live up to his contract 

Who knows where things are at with trouba at this point.  The Canucks are a playoff team trying to make a push and is full of American players..........Vancouver is a lot nicer than Winnipeg.  Hes only got two years left and then he can go somewhere else.

Laine will have a far better base of knowledge for two way hockey than Kuz.  While he might not be a defensive stalwart, I doubt he's as bad, defensively as people make him out to be

8 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Guentzel is also nearly 3 years older than Brock. Plus consider who he's had to play alongside with (I'm not really sure of this as I haven't followed his path much). More matters than what is shown on the stat sheet...you have to delve further into it.

You have to consider what Brock was dealing with that really were legitimate reasons to struggle. Not only his Dad's declining health, but his own back injury that likely lingered.

I'd rather have Brock. He's developing some undeniable chemistry with JT and that also has to be considered. Not every player you move in with be a "fit" and I'd hate to disrupt this team too much as we've seen the steps they're taking together.

Sorry.. but the excuses don't matter all the injuries and off ice issues don't really change the facts. I like Brock. .seems like a great guy. He had a lot of promise coming into the league to be a star.. But it hasn't happened. He had a really good year this year but do you really think he is going to be a reliable 82 game a year 40.. or even 30 goal scorer into his 30's? Because I don't and the past, including game 7, is ample evidence of it. This is the time to sell high on Brock Boeser.  .. unless he is willing to re-sign at basically his current cap hit.. because he has been overpaid for most of his time on the canucks vs output. But if he wants a raise.. or to be paid like a 40 or even 30 goal scorer in the league on a long term extension.. he isn't worth it and they should move him while his value is high.. not resign him to a bad contract.. or wait through this last year where his value either decreases or he walks for nothing. 

Edited by rmok

4 minutes ago, rmok said:

Sorry.. but the excuses don't matter all the injuries and off ice issues don't really change the facts. I like Brock. .seems like a great guy. He had a lot of promise coming into the league to be a star.. But it hasn't happened. He had a really good year this year but do you really think he is going to be a reliable 82 game a year 40.. or even 30 goal scorer into his 30's? Because I don't and the past, including game 7, is ample evidence of it. This is the time to sell high on Brock Boeser.  

There was a lot more to Brock’s game this year than just 40g. I was very critical of him for his disengaged play in the past but not anymore. 
He was tough on board battles, going to the hard places and was the best of our drafted players in the playoffs. 
He has another year and we are short wingers. They should give him the year and see how things look. 
Gives Lekk time to grow in the AHL. 
‘If Lekk is looking like hot shit and Brock is floating and disengaged he can be traded but I think that Brock is gone. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

There was a lot more to Brock’s game this year than just 40g. I was very critical of him for his disengaged play in the past but not anymore. 
He was tough on board battles, going to the hard places and was the best of our drafted players in the playoffs. 
He has another year and we are short wingers. They should give him the year and see how things look. 
Gives Lekk time to grow in the AHL. 
‘If Lekk is looking like hot shit and Brock is floating and disengaged he can be traded but I think that Brock is gone. 

They give him the year then they either have to let him walk for nothing.. or he plays decent and he expects a long term deal into his 30's with a raise... which he isn't really deserving of and shouldn't get. Even in his best year at the moment he was needed the most he had a health issue. They need to sell high.  

13 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

The facts were: his father was dying and yeah, sure....doesn't matter, right? Please. I hope you're young and that explains not really understanding how that can impact focus and drive. If ever there was an excuse for a drop off in work performance.....a dying family member would be top of the list.

Armchair players always act like players are robots and stats are all that matter.

Also...Brock's a huge part of this team and the chemistry he's developing with JT is something to consider. Except if you don't like to include ALL the facts.

You realize YOU are an armchair player right?

You realize Boeser has SEVEN seasons in the NHL right? ... he had a 5 year 'drop in performance'. 

You realize lots of players have off ice family issues to deal with right?

You realize he has had MANY more injuries than his back right?

This isn't your family.. its a hockey team looking to win games and create the best team possible. That would be selling high on Brock Boeser after one really good year at 27 before giving him a retirement contract into his 30's at big money that he will never live up to.  

Edited by rmok

38 minutes ago, rmok said:

They give him the year then they either have to let him walk for nothing.. or he plays decent and he expects a long term deal into his 30's with a raise... which he isn't really deserving of and shouldn't get. Even in his best year at the moment he was needed the most he had a health issue. They need to sell high.  

So who do you suggest to replace Boeser production?

1 hour ago, rmok said:

You realize Boeser has SEVEN seasons in the NHL right? ... he had a 5 year 'drop in performance'. 

This isn't your family.. its a hockey team looking to win games and create the best team possible. That would be selling high on Brock Boeser after one really good year at 27 before giving him a retirement contract into his 30's at big money that he will never live up to.  

Get Him Out GIF

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

People were ready to pounce on Hronek the moment he struggled. The entire team struggled in the second half.

I remember people were pouncing on me when I was critical of the deal, especially many here who though Hronek is the 2nd coming 🤣

As for Hronek it would good to find a way to keep him. And if the expectation is for him to be a top pairing D-man with Hughes, I think 7 Million+ aav is reasonable.

I agree 8 million might be a bit too steep though but I've seen people take shots on him asking for this much. I suggest we don't, there's nothing wrong trying to get the money you think you are worth and also nothing wrong for looking out for himself financially and taking care of his family. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, rmok said:

They have until the trade deadline. Gives a lot of info about Brock and Lekk.
You are trading high yes but you are also trading your only drafted player that actually did something in the playoffs and the guy who is currently your only legit top 6 winger. It is a tank move and we don’t tank on the way down much less the way up. 
‘I do agree with trading high on a player is sometimes a good idea but this may not be the time or spot to trade high on this one. 

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO we need Demko to win the Cup. But he sure would return a lot in trade. 

Demko on top of his game is fantastic. Could Silovs have won a Cup with the Canucks in the finals. Soem might argue that he could have with the d-side game at a level it was. Talk to CM and Drai about how well they were checked. 

As you point out it would all be about the return that Demko would bring in a trade. Obviously it would have to be a major return for PA to consider it. The optics for the org would not be good as Demko has been a loyal soldier. That said it is not a over riding reason not to trade him. His time in Van has been mutually beneficial. What must be weighing on JR & PA is Demko's durability and what moving him would return to the org along with a $4 mil CAP spread. That money could help resign Zad and Joshua. 

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Demko on top of his game is fantastic. Could Silovs have won a Cup with the Canucks in the finals. Soem might argue that he could have with the d-side game at a level it was. Talk to CM and Drai about how well they were checked. 

As you point out it would all be about the return that Demko would bring in a trade. Obviously it would have to be a major return for PA to consider it. The optics for the org would not be good as Demko has been a loyal soldier. That said it is not an over riding reason not to trade him. His time in Van has been mutually beneficial. What must be weighing on JR & PA is Demko's durability and what moving him would return to the org along with a $4 mil CAP spread. That money could help resign Zad and Joshua. 

The talk on 650 is we are trying to move off Garland and Mik to save cap.

But if we did put Demko on the market the number of teams bidding would make for a huge haul. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As you point out it would all be about the return that Demko would bring in a trade. Obviously it would have to be a major return for PA to consider it. The optics for the org would not be good as Demko has been a loyal soldier. That said it is not a over riding reason not to trade him. His time in Van has been mutually beneficial. What must be weighing on JR & PA is Demko's durability and what moving him would return to the org along with a $4 mil CAP spread. That money could help resign Zad and Joshua. 

You need a really good goal tender to win a cup... its that simple...

I think Silovs did really well, but I still think Demmer looks better... saving $2M on the most important player is not the right place to start.

If the team doesn't think Demko can stay healthy, they may have a case for trading him, but they don't have to yet... 

Split next season between the two and them make a decision... He will still be hot commodity next season. 

I still think we may have taken Oilers out, had we had Demko in net, but its anybody's guess...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

On 6/16/2024 at 5:21 PM, Gurn said:

If Hronek wants too much, trade him off to Utah for Mike Kesselring, and a first.

lol 1st? the only 1st they have is their 6th overall and he's no where remotely even close to being worth that

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

I think Silovs did really well, but I still think Demmer looks better... saving $2M on the most important player is not the right place to start.

If the team doesn't think Demko can stay healthy, they may have a case for trading him, but they don't have to yet... 

Split next season between the two and them make a decision... He will still be hot commodity next season. 

I still think we may have taken Oilers out, had we had Demko in net, but its anybody's guess...

Ya Demmer is going nowhere 

I love Silovs, and he was a rock in the playoffs but it’s a different beast being a starter and playing 60 games 

We all remember Spencer Martin. Same things were said. Not saying Silovs isn’t better but it seems many here don’t realize how hard a position being a starting goalie is 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 8:00 AM, spook007 said:

As evidenced by what we're seeing this playoffs. 

Demko and Silovs can get us there. We need them to stay healthy. We have a Vezina caliber goalie and a star on the rise. It's a best case scenario. Also in handing off more games to Silovs without him being a huge wild-card liability.

Silovs is much better than Martin by a long shot. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/16/2024 at 6:37 PM, rmok said:

Ridiculous 

• Cheers 1