[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

7 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I see a couple of options...

IF he wants to much and/or ends up going to arbitration, we can keep him for a playoff run next season or have the option to trade him. 

The best part is, his trade value is the highest it's ever been after a season of playing with Hughes.

A top right handed D-man with no trade protection on the open market would fetch a kings ransom I suspect,  

The tricky part would be finding a trading partner with a good young right handed D-man with some upside to play alongside Hughes.

Playing with Hughes would probably elevate the new players game. Ideally someone that makes in the $3-$5 million range. 

Ideally I'd love to keep Hronek, but we can see JR/PA don't mess around. Something like this would be in play for sure.

• Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Love BB, but the fact is he's bad defensively and in his own zone. This has to account into his AAV in some way. 7 per season max in my opinion. Even that's a being generous, but his chemistry with JT, JT 's length of contract, make it a nice duo moving forward. 

I wouldn't say he's necessarily bad defensively, his game has definitely improved under Tocc and he has bought into the system, a few warts in his own end but its counteracted by his improved forecheck and strength on the puck.

I hope he stays. My biased love for our drafted players aside, it would stink to develop him and then lose him during the majority of his prime years of hockey.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Zombieksa said:

I wouldn't say he's necessarily bad defensively, his game has definitely improved under Tocc and he has bought into the system, a few warts in his own end but its counteracted by his improved forecheck and strength on the puck.

I hope he stays. My biased love for our drafted players aside, it would stink to develop him and then lose him during the majority of his prime years of hockey.

He's definitely improved and he's a big part of the team. Just need to be careful with one dimensional players and big, long term contracts. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ideally I'd love to keep Hronek, but we can see JR/PA don't mess around. Something like this would be in play for sure.

One of the best think with this management team... they'll negotiate, but in the end they'll not be held ransom, and we saw with Bo, that once they've made their mind up, that's it... take it or you are history...

Zero doubt Canucks will find it easier to find low cap high value deals, now they are a contender...  However there may also be players that once they've been through the mill, wants a big contract... they may never get the opportunity again... 

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

One of the best think with this management team... they'll negotiate, but in the end they'll not be held ransom, and we saw with Bo, that once they've made their mind up, that's it... take it or you are history...

Zero doubt Canucks will find it easier to find low cap high value deals, now they are a contender...  However there may also be players that once they've been through the mill, wants a big contract... they may never get the opportunity again... 

Hey if Hronek can go get 9 mil somewhere, god speed my son.

• Cheers 1

Just now, spook007 said:

yup. If Hronek won’t accept what this management believes is a fair contract then he will be traded after our Cup parade down Georgia. And just like with Horfat Wallet the return will be excellent. Likely more, considering Hronek is an elite right shot D. 

• Cheers 1

PA completely rebuilt the D while capped out and with Myer’s boat anchor still there. 
If he needs to replace Hronek I am not too worried especially with Willander 2 years away.  
Maybe Tanev fills the gap for a couple seasons or things go bad with Pesci in Carolina. 
This management group seems to turn sewage into wine on a regular basis, they likely have numerous contingencies. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Lots of contract talks this off season for management. Vancouver is a destination team now. We are a competitive team in a desirable city in a hockey mad country. All players will need to take a little discount to move forward with the ultimate goal. Just the way it is in building a competitive team. If a player doesn't want to buy in, it's their right to look elsewhere and management will do what they need to do. Oh, and players that can't handle the hockey mad market, move on. I want players that want to soak it all in, compete and win. JT, for example, is the poster boy for this type of attitude. 

• Cheers 1

I think tanev takes a bit of a discount on AAV and totsl money to come here 

Like 3 x 2 yrs or 3 at most

I think they re sign Zads 4.25x4

myers is gone 

juulsen May be a regular no. 6 d man and he could still continue to improve 

not many UFAs that look super appealing 

Reinhardt prob resigns with fla before July 1 - he just has such a good thing going there to leave even if it’s for his home town team 

I would love JGuntz but not at 7 years or even I would love him at 8 mill x 4yrs but I suspect he will get more total money somewhere else 

tough to say what will happen with Lindy I could see some like CBJ make a big offer as they need a 1C badly except that is not their only problem 

if Boston clears cap they might go hard after Lindy 

Bluegger and Joshua have been great 

they may look at trading garland and see if he can be moved with no retention 

they might look to trade milky or see if he rebounds next year and then sell high on him

one thing that has come up is selling high on BB…I just think there is too much chemistry and versatility there to live him plus he prob takes home town discount as well 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I think tanev takes a bit of a discount on AAV and totsl money to come here 

Like 3 x 2 yrs or 3 at most

I think they re sign Zads 4.25x4

myers is gone 

juulsen May be a regular no. 6 d man and he could still continue to improve 

not many UFAs that look super appealing 

Reinhardt prob resigns with fla before July 1 - he just has such a good thing going there to leave even if it’s for his home town team 

I would love JGuntz but not at 7 years or even I would love him at 8 mill x 4yrs but I suspect he will get more total money somewhere else 

tough to say what will happen with Lindy I could see some like CBJ make a big offer as they need a 1C badly except that is not their only problem 

if Boston clears cap they might go hard after Lindy 

Bluegger and Joshua have been great 

they may look at trading garland and see if he can be moved with no retention 

they might look to trade milky or see if he rebounds next year and then sell high on him

one thing that has come up is selling high on BB…I just think there is too much chemistry and versatility there to live him plus he prob takes home town discount as well 

I think Zadorov gives us a bit of a discount too... his favourite team growing up was the Canucks. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think Zadorov gives us a bit of a discount too... his favourite team growing up was the Canucks. 

From his interview last night it sounds like his wife and kids very much like Vancouver too. 

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Sign the man and give him extra term to get the AAV down. He needs to be part of the core moving forward.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Stretch out the term to keep the cap allocation lower. 

it sounds like thats what he wants as well from what I heard on the radio with his kooky agent. 

Lock up Hronek and big Z. Negotiate with Myers after the playoffs maybe (and only if its a really good deal for us). If we can move Garly at the draft, maybe try to ink Lindholm?

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I could see it being something like 30-32 mil over 7 years. 

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Sign the man and give him extra term to get the AAV down. He needs to be part of the core moving forward.

7 years takes him to 35.  The value will be there for the whole contract term as the cap moves up even if he's a 3rd pairing guy in his 30s.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

it sounds like thats what he wants as well from what I heard on the radio with his kooky agent. 

Lock up Hronek and big Z. Negotiate with Myers after the playoffs maybe (and only if its a really good deal for us). If we can move Garly at the draft, maybe try to ink Lindholm?

For sure Allvin/JR will try to extend Lindholm. It’s just the cost. If the number is too high then they might pivot to a different UFA, like Geuntzle. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Alflives said:

For sure Allvin/JR will try to extend Lindholm. It’s just the cost. If the number is too high then they might pivot to a different UFA, like Geuntzle. 

I think id prefer Lindy, but I can see the love-in with JR and Guentzel taking priority too. Safe bets either way probably. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think id prefer Lindy, but I can see the love-in with JR and Guentzel taking priority too. Safe bets either way probably. 

Yup. This management group will have levels of contingency. No “day to day” operations like the moran who preceded them. 

• MillerTime 1

31 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hmmm, I know he liked the Canucks growing up but his segment on after hours sure sounds like The Red Wings were his favorite. LOL  

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

7 years takes him to 35.  The value will be there for the whole contract term as the cap moves up even if he's a 3rd pairing guy in his 30s.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd prefer the right shot, defensive center in Lindholm. But curios what fans think? Brock or Lindholm? Brock probably can't be re-upped if Lindolm is extended?

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yes to all of this,  except the Lindy part. JMO 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Yeah, guess it really comes down to what Hronek wants to accomplish in his next deal I suppose. He's gonna get paid one way or another. 

He loves playing with Hughes and has stated he's the best partner he's ever played with. Does he want to risk moving elsewhere for a little more 

money and play with someone he doesn't know and risk losing chemistry. Most of the teams with Cap space are bubble or or rebuilding teams. 

Will he accept a little less to play on a contender with 1 of the top D-men in the league or does he just chase money.

Either option is fine it, really comes down to what Hronek wants to accomplish in his career.    

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Hey if Hronek can go get 9 mil somewhere, god speed my son.

Our 2011 team had to let go of their playmaking rhd as he got an offer, he couldn't refuse.... at least we've got the long end of the stick on Hroneks deal.