Is there one #$@#@$%& Vancouver sports bar that actually shows Hockey Night in Canada anymore?

15 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Well in the olden days of yore, before WWF even, I think pubs would play HNIC no matter who was playing. (other than when playoffs of other sports were happening)  I'm not asking for that. Because I wouldn't go out to a bar just to watch two rival teams.  But we live in Vancouver, one of the supposedly hottest hockey markets. If the Canucks are on HNIC on a Saturday night, yes they should prioritize Canucks hockey.

I'm very curious to find out if some pubs will still insist on showing yankee dumb fucks duke it out, because of some contract agreement, or Canucks playoff hockey games? 

I have no idea what you were getting at after your first sentence though. Ron "bad touched" Don?  This I have to know more about. :classic_laugh:

Pubs will show what brings in the most customers.  That is a good business model.

Not sure why anyone would want to watch Canucks games on HNIC. We always get the absolute worst broadcasting teams. Then in the intermissions, it’s Rotten Ronnie. The only person on HNIC who doesn’t suck is Juice and that’s not enough to get me to want to watch. Get rid of those other clowns and maybe I’ll change my mind. I’m including the broadcasting crew in there too. Always sucking up to the Canucks’s opponents. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

Yeah, the Great Bear used to be a great spot to watch HNIC.  But alas they too have fallen into the void.  I phoned them before the game.

I've seen that East Side Craft House on searches.  Looked a little expensive, but maybe we'll give it a shot. Thanks

Let me know what they say...  as I said, their kitchen was good when I went there last summer.  

I'm always in favour of supporting businesses that support Canucks fans. 

• Like 1

The CBC should talk with the CHL and get the exclusive rights to CHL games. Make the CHL as a part of a triple header Saturday. Like how TSN got the rights to the CFL and ran with it. The CHL should be far more inexpensive. They can hire graduating students from BCIT, and Ryerson to broadcast games. Would it suck losing NHL rights? Yes. But TSN has survived with limited NHL coverage. But it would be Hockey Night in Canada with pretty much mostly Canadian content. And showing the NHL'ers of the future.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The CBC should talk with the CHL and get the exclusive rights to CHL games. Make the CHL as a part of a triple header Saturday. Like how TSN got the rights to the CFL and ran with it. The CHL should be far more inexpensive. They can hire graduating students from BCIT, and Ryerson to broadcast games. Would it suck losing NHL rights? Yes. But TSN has survived with limited NHL coverage. But it would be Hockey Night in Canada with pretty much mostly Canadian content. And showing the NHL'ers of the future.

That's far too much thinking and effort for the empty suits that run CBC. 

In fairness to many bars/restaurants .. There was a huge UFC PPV this past weekend.. People like to be amongst crowds enjoying the big fight. It can bring a bar a ton of business..  Some what normal people like myself just stream it for free and stay home drinking at a much cheaper price point per beer but hey! Some people have lives and like go out for some reason..
NHL regular season game #63 has less appeal than a Major Fight or other event and that would take priority of the Bar's Tv's I would think.. Playoff games would be another story though.

I was at the Village Taphouse by Park Royal Mall there a couple of weeks back on HNIC and they had every screen + projectors and sound going.  Was a great atmosphere and was mildly surprised cause I hadn't seen that since the the 08-11 years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

In fairness to many bars/restaurants .. There was a huge UFC PPV this past weekend.. People like to be amongst crowds enjoying the big fight. It can bring a bar a ton of business..  Some what normal people like myself just stream it for free and stay home drinking at a much cheaper price point per beer but hey! Some people have lives and like go out for some reason..
NHL regular season game #63 has less appeal than a Major Fight or other event and that would take priority of the Bar's Tv's I would think.. Playoff games would be another story though.

I hear you. I understand how popular UFC has become. And bars want to make $. But no, I don't agree with even game #63 of a home town NHL team being trumped by UFC PPV on a Saturday  night HNIC.  The only night for most people to go out together.  Yeah, similarly, I usually stay home to watch games, even on weekends, but its frustrating that when I do want to get together and have that experience "amongst crowds enjoying" the game, with friends, where the sound is on and at least half the bar is cheering (and moaning) along with the game, its gone!  That experience is over for citizens of Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond.  At least in most areas other than down town. 

Not like back in 2011.  I hate to pile on Jim Benning, but I wonder how much this dilemma was caused because he made the team almost unwatchable for eight years. Just as UFC was gaining traction. Canuck fans either switched sports, or at least didn't give a #$%# what was on TV in a bar anymore.  I'll bet though, if a bar actually advertised that they DON'T show UFC saturday night fights on their main screens, and prioritize screens for your Vancouver Canucks. Come on down! I'll bet they'd be just as packed and have the same lucrative profits.  Now that the team is playing well.

I can see some nasty fights in bars between customers and managers when the playoffs start and there is some big UFC PPV games playing in every damn bar in town hogging the screens. Because those bars have contracts that they've already paid up and advertise to show it. 

There should be a Royal Commission to investigate this assault on our national sovereignty!

(I kid.....but maybe not)

On 3/10/2024 at 4:18 PM, kilgore said:

Well in the olden days of yore, before WWF even, I think pubs would play HNIC no matter who was playing. (other than when playoffs of other sports were happening)  I'm not asking for that. Because I wouldn't go out to a bar just to watch two rival teams.  But we live in Vancouver, one of the supposedly hottest hockey markets. If the Canucks are on HNIC on a Saturday night, yes they should prioritize Canucks hockey.

I'm very curious to find out if some pubs will still insist on showing yankee dumb fucks duke it out, because of some contract agreement, or Canucks playoff hockey games? 

I have no idea what you were getting at after your first sentence though. Ron "bad touched" Don?  This I have to know more about. :classic_laugh:

Don cherry supported ron through many rough patches in his career, in fact hes the only reason ron has a career. Then when don said something about immigrants not respecting vets on remembrance day all the liberals dog piled him and called him racist and instead of supporting don ron threw him under the bus to save his job and even demeaned him on live TV. Ron is the worst type of human and I hope hell is real just for him

once the playoff rolls around then they'll all be playing hockey.. but for now it's just mostly gonna be ufc etc.. most ppl at the pubs etc are more interested in those since they don't want to pay for the ppv at home and u can just pvr the game

10 hours ago, Petey the Puck Whisperer said:

Don cherry supported ron through many rough patches in his career, in fact hes the only reason ron has a career. Then when don said something about immigrants not respecting vets on remembrance day all the liberals dog piled him and called him racist and instead of supporting don ron threw him under the bus to save his job and even demeaned him on live TV. Ron is the worst type of human and I hope hell is real just for him

That's a stretch.

Ron is just a corporate hack.  Not the worst type of human. He's a survivor. He knows what he has to do to keep his job. Don knows a lot about hockey, and was a great communicator to the traditional Canadian hockey fan, saying things that some were too afraid to say.  I commend him for that. But there's a danger in maybe going over the line. And Don did. One too  many times. Ron was just just acting smart by distancing himself when that happened. 

I've  never forgiven Ron from the hit job on Burrows. His corporate loyalty to the NHL brand, and all their interpretation of any play,  combined with his refereeing background bias, led him down a dark path.  Just a disgusting display of an arrogant misinformation campaign against one player.  If he'd made a sincere apology, I'd have maybe forgiven him. But whatever he said was weak and almost mockingly insincere.  

So I have my own beef with Ron.  But Cherry lost his job all by himself.

Corporate profits, including the public broadcasting corporation, are paramount. ie... MONEY from advertisers. Corporations that sell stuff to the public guard their public perception with a flaming sword. The last thing they want is for some employee, no matter how high up, makes them look bad and alienate a segment of their customer base and corporate sponsors. Perceived racism in that case.  The soulless corporation doesn't give a damn, not even the CEO's private opinion, it all about profits. Happens all the time. Off the top of my head, the Aunt Jemima pancake miix co. changing their name and brand name.  The executive board may have no problem personally with the image, but they recognize that too many of their customers may, in the evolving societal changes, now see that as using a stereotype of a black slave worker to sell their product is not good for sales. Or at least they could improve sales if they just left the controversy behind them. 

Which is what CBC did in firing Cherry for what too many in their customer base regarded as stoking racial hatred.  Which is what Fox News did in firing Carlson for spreading lies and costing them money. It doesn't matter, left or right, if the higher ups agree or disagree with the actual comments made, its about (Kevin Leary voice) MONEY.  And cutting your losses.  Whether you personally agree with any of the comments or not.  Ron is just a peon in that equation.

On 3/9/2024 at 6:01 PM, Canuck You said:

Shark Club near Rogers/..I use to DJ at the Burnaby one here and there..

Went to the Rogers one, they only had volume for the UFC not Canucks 😞

• Huggy Bear 1