[PGT] Jets at Canucks

46 minutes ago, Provost said:

Canucks since Myers got injured…

4-0

… just saying.

Soucy back.    Myers ... If it was me, i'd be resting Cole if and when the D's fully healthy.  And give QHs and Hronek "maintenance" days as well. 

• Like 4

This was the 3rd game of the season that I missed. Actually, I didn't have to go out until just after the 2nd goal. I was nervous about this game, wondering if those last few tough games maybe wore our boys down a bit. Damn, I  am so impressed with this monster win against a team they traditionally have trouble with. All lines are working well right now and they still have more to give. When Joshua comes back, there's another element of toughness, playmaking and goal scoring. Lindholm, Joshua and Garland are going to be a helluva line. Move Podz up with Petey and Hoglander and we're back to the old days of giving EP more scoring opportunities. 

Our D without Myers is so solid. The only one I would consider taking out if Myers comes back is Cole, but would not be a preference.  This would be a good time to sit Myers as our 7th D and let him ride out his contract. I don't hate the guy, but he's more liability than benefit compared to the others. Hard to go wrong with Hughes (superstar), Hronek, Zadorov, Juulsen, Soucy and Cole.

Demmer is the net presence we need, and DeSmith, when he's under pressure, will step up to the plate. 

Seems to me, we're lookin pretty good, and I so hope I don't have to miss any more games

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I hope so. If he's ok I hope Demko gets to sit out more games 

Maybe share the rest of the season 50-50 with DeSmith? This puts him to around 54 to 56 games, the apparent sweet spot for starting goalies. 

60-65.    That's what you should expect.   Get the days of Broduer, Furh (under Keenan, not in EDM), Luongo, Kipper, Cujo, Roy, Hasek etc are gone, but don't think the leagues got the available talent not to allow the best goalies, to work their way into being able to play 60-65 games a year, plus 20 plus playoff games as needed.    If a team is lucky enough to have a top 16 goalie, don't understand why they shouldn't be expected to carry that load, worked in the 90's and 2000's anyways.   Think Lundqvist. 

To do that, training is a huge requiment.    Not many teams have a Demko.   Or a Hellebuyck.   Tochetts system has also done a very good job or lowering the workload.   And if Demko needs re-coup time, then give it to him.   Not sure what happened to the goalies, that wanted to start every single night.    Broduer did.    So did Luongo.      We don't have a 16-21 team league anymore.     When some teams had two starters (Furh/Moog ... Furh/Ranford).   Boston has that, nobody else does.   

Edit:   There is some evidence, that taller goalies have a tougher time with the workload a guy who is sub six to 6'2 or so can handle.    Bishop.  Rinne.  Markstrom.   Demko, Lehner.    These taller guys, maybe it's harder on their joints and groins.    We for sure are better off going onto the playoffs with 100% Demko then chasing home ice advantage throughout the playoffs. 

Edited by IBatch

27 minutes ago, Pears said:

Just realized how eerily similar our potential playoff path could be this year is to 2011...

1st round: Defending champs as the 8th seed (Chicago)

2nd round: Upset a veteran team in round 1 (Nashville over Anaheim)

3rd round: Veteran team who's had trouble getting over the hump (San Jose)

Now fast forward to 2024 and you could be looking at...

1st round: Defending champs as the 8th seed/2nd wild card (Vegas)

2nd round: Upset a veteran team in round 1 (Nashville over Colorado/Dallas?)

3rd round: Veteran team who's had trouble getting over the hump (Winnipeg?)

Maybe, except replace WNP with Dallas.  SJ was a top team and a contender for quite awhile.   WNP's is actually a surprise team this year like we are.   Nothing like the Trouba, Byfuglien, Wheeler, Scheiffle, Conner days .. they weren't supposed to be this good.   And SJ didn't rely on goaltending.    Dallas is the most likely team we need to get through.   It's also most likely, we need to go through 3 contenders to get to whatever faces us in the East.    

1994 we had to go through two contenders too.   CAL was absolutely stacked zero weaknesses.    Dallas was a good team.    TO was one of the better teams in the West too, coming off an epic conference final in 93.   Ironically with another ex Flame in Gilmour.    Feel that's what we should be prepared for.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, KFAN said:

This was the 3rd game of the season that I missed. Actually, I didn't have to go out until just after the 2nd goal. I was nervous about this game, wondering if those last few tough games maybe wore our boys down a bit. Damn, I  am so impressed with this monster win against a team they traditionally have trouble with. All lines are working well right now and they still have more to give. When Joshua comes back, there's another element of toughness, playmaking and goal scoring. Lindholm, Joshua and Garland are going to be a helluva line. Move Podz up with Petey and Hoglander and we're back to the old days of giving EP more scoring opportunities. 

Our D without Myers is so solid. The only one I would consider taking out if Myers comes back is Cole, but would not be a preference.  This would be a good time to sit Myers as our 7th D and let him ride out his contract. I don't hate the guy, but he's more liability than benefit compared to the others. Hard to go wrong with Hughes (superstar), Hronek, Zadorov, Juulsen, Soucy and Cole.

Demmer is the net presence we need, and DeSmith, when he's under pressure, will step up to the plate. 

Seems to me, we're lookin pretty good, and I so hope I don't have to miss any more games

Cole is probably the worst one out of the bunch right now, but heres the thing, Cole doesn't take penalties in the WORST time like Myers, let alone the giveaways.

Interestingly enough, since Myers has been gone, Whos your Zaddy has elevated his game big time. I think with Myers gone, theres just more predictability on what youre getting from the pairings night in night out. Soucy being back defintely helps

• Cheers 4

25 minutes ago, Pears said:

Just realized how eerily similar our potential playoff path could be this year is to 2011...

1st round: Defending champs as the 8th seed (Chicago)

2nd round: Upset a veteran team in round 1 (Nashville over Anaheim)

3rd round: Veteran team who's had trouble getting over the hump (San Jose)

Now fast forward to 2024 and you could be looking at...

1st round: Defending champs as the 8th seed/2nd wild card (Vegas)

2nd round: Upset a veteran team in round 1 (Nashville over Colorado/Dallas?)

3rd round: Veteran team who's had trouble getting over the hump (Winnipeg?)

Not really how the playoffs work nowadays. If we win the division and the first round, our second round opponent will be a Pacific team.

3 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

Fantastic puck support, had the jets spinning all game.

Just a few more wins and we'll be calling these boys our 'best ever'.

Always had believed that our '94 squad could never lose that accolade.

Don't mind being jilted, for once.

the 2011 team imo was the best team. Depending how far this team goes in the playoffs, that might change

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Goalie Interference said:

I think it's more that our defence with Soucy is solid. His return coincided with Myers' injury. 

Me too.   Soucy and Myers in the playoffs, would be a tough pair to handle.    Juulsen's importance can't say enough about that.  It could provide the team a chance to come into the post season, with a rested and raring to go D-core.     And of course it provides us with the ability to create match ups, and go down a man knock on wood as well.    A huge difference between relying on Irwin, Friedman, Woo or whomever.     Not many teams get to the final with all their D intact.   In 94 we lost Murzyn.   2011 Hamhuis was devastating. 

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

the 2011 team imo was the best team. Depending how far this team goes in the playoffs, that might change

If that's the case, the 94 team still set the bar.   Playoff wise.   Only two goals separated the series ... and one goal in a very evenly fought game and series ... against a better team then Boston was.   Can't load up teams like they did (NYR).   Rangers were tops in PP, PK and had a ridiculous amount of playoff experience.   Stacked. 

For the record, voted for this team on another thread ... simply because it's the only one that can actually win a cup.   Both teams were great (having a Linden was like an automatic bye to the next round).    follow up faced a loaded team in round one ... and beat them.  Chelios killed us in round two, as in the follow up to the final...95.

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This may be nitpicking but I thought Demko should've had an assist in PDG's goal and Petey and Hoggy should've had assists on Suter's goal. I know getting greedy here but didn't it look like they assisted there?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

Rutherford wrote the cook book

Allvin is the Chef

And they're cooking up a masterpiece. This quick turn around is pretty remarkable.

The 94 and 2011 teams both had a build up over several years slowly getting traction..

This is completely different.

But but Benning was the pen and paper Rutherford used to write the cook book. Credit deserves to go to Benning, Benning Benning!

Good gawd I sound retarded, so thats what being a Benning Bros feels like

I cant wait till April, finally we're gonna get some home games here in the spring. The bars are gonna be packed, beers are gonna be flowing, playoff hockey baby! None of that draftist crap eh eh "Rutherford traded the future to win now", hfboard prospect watching candy asses (virgins?), you can plant your sorry carcasses in your mamas house, watching youtube with a pen and paper and playing pretend scout on how Jacob Truscott is the next Bobby Orr LOL

Playoff runs are the only thing that matters , no AnnoyingG-oof or an idiot spewing Pure Nonesense can say otherwise

Edited by filthy animal

20 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

That was bar-none, the best & most consistant full 60 minutes of canucks hockey this year!

Enough said!

Yup, you'd be hard pressed to name a bad player tonight. Probably PDG's best game of the season.

Assuming they continue to play this way, question is who comes out when Dakota comes back? IMO Mik walks the plank

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If that's the case, the 94 team still set the bar.   Playoff wise.   Only two goals separated the series ... and one goal in a very evenly fought game and series ... against a better team then Boston was.   Can't load up teams like they did (NYR).   Rangers were tops in PP, PK and had a ridiculous amount of playoff experience.   Stacked. 

For the record, voted for this team on another thread ... simply because it's the only one that can actually win a cup.   Both teams were great (having a Linden was like an automatic bye to the next round).    follow up faced a loaded team in round one ... and beat them.  Chelios killed us in round two, as in the follow up to the final...95.

Youre just basing it on the finals, Im talking overall. The 2011 team was fully capable of winning that cup as well. You're just favoring that 94 team because they were the underdog, while the 2011 was the favorite. Come on now, 2011 team led in practically every statistical category you can thing think of

I leave it to this point. Had the 94 team AND the 2011 team won the cup, Im pretty sure a lot of people would agree that the 2011 team would be the better team. The 1st line had 2 art ross winners, hart trophy, 2nd line had the selke winner , 5 of the 6 D-men were top 4 calibre on ANY TEAM, Jennings trophy goalie tandem, and a jack adams winning coach? GM of the year too.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe, except replace WNP with Dallas.  SJ was a top team and a contender for quite awhile.   WNP's is actually a surprise team this year like we are.   Nothing like the Trouba, Byfuglien, Wheeler, Scheiffle, Conner days .. they weren't supposed to be this good.   And SJ didn't rely on goaltending.    Dallas is the most likely team we need to get through.   It's also most likely, we need to go through 3 contenders to get to whatever faces us in the East.    

1994 we had to go through two contenders too.   CAL was absolutely stacked zero weaknesses.    Dallas was a good team.    TO was one of the better teams in the West too, coming off an epic conference final in 93.   Ironically with another ex Flame in Gilmour.    Feel that's what we should be prepared for.    

Again your viewed is flawed, yeah the flames were a stacked team, but guess what? Thats the reason why the Canucks had the lower seed was because they were lower in the food chain. The 2011 team was at very top, of course they are gonna face inferior competition. They were THE BEST team

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

Youre just basing it on the finals, Im talking overall. The 2011 team was fully capable of winning that cup as well. You're just favoring that 94 team because they were the underdog, while the 2011 was the favorite. Come on now, 2011 team led in practically every statistical category you can thing think of

I leave it to this point. Had the 94 team AND the 2011 team won the cup, Im pretty sure a lot of people would agree that the 2011 team would be the better team. The 1st line had 2 art ross winners, hart trophy, 2nd line had the selke winner , 5 of the 6 D-men were top 4 calibre on ANY TEAM, Jennings trophy goalie tandem, and a jack adams winning coach? GM of the year too.

If it was based on playoffs, which i'm pretty sure you were saying, the 94 team, did a better job.   They also did a better job pre and post 94 in the post season.   Second rounds were routine back then.   Regular season - 2011 all the way.    Post and pre-cap are entirely different.   Teams can't load up the same way.     Pretty sure CAL would have plastered Boston.   Know our team wouldn't have had any difficulty handling their "toughness".   Good grief Scott freaking Thornton was considered one of the best fighters in 2011.     Gary Robert's would have made mince meat out of him, the same way he did to Ben Eager at 41 years of age, and he was garden variety power forward.   Chara was a so-so enforcer in the early 2000's.    Gino, Antoski and Stajanov wouldn't have had much trouble with him.    Unless you were there and can compare, wouldn't go there.  

After Kesler ... not much to go with in the top six.   Definitely had a better top six in 94.   D is close.  Brown was awfully good.   Edge 2011 but it was close.   Goaltending, McLean.  

93 with Nedved, 343 goals.  Over 100 points is like 110 these days.   The separation isn't as high as you might think (regular season).    Playoffs,  the 94 team did a better job, throughout, then the 2011 team, that's not really even debatable.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1