[PGT] Jets at Canucks

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Everytime JT has a game like that I think of my days defending him on CDC. Feels good to know that I knew he was special.

I feel the same way every time Hronek steps on the ice. And then I think of the Happy Hronek thread and all becomes right with the world. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

I wonder what's happened to this team... 

Was trade deadline and Petey contract talks distracting the team? I wonder how much it affected some guys. 

There were some fears after Feb whether this team was the real deal or would they limp into the playoffs? 

They've been dominant the last 2 wins against Vegas and Winnipeg. 

I feel like the team is now set knowing there's no more distractions or changes and they're gonna ride or die together heading into the playoffs. 

We made our moves early and got Z and Lindholm. 

The emergence of Soucy as a solid 3D has been fantastic. Juulsen stepping up huge gives us depth between 6-7D. 

The other teams loaded up. It'll be fun watching how it all unfolds. 

I love that PA didn't feel the panic to make a move at the TDL and do something stupid like sign Kessel for the sake of making a move. They are so smart. They know Podz would bring more to the table than Phil so they'll give youth a chance after letting them marinate all year in the AHL. 

Podz is our deadline move. 

Getting Myers and Joshua back is our deadline move. 

Amazing we'll fit under the cap and all the players can gel going into the playoffs while teams like Vegas has to sit guys like Stone until playoffs. I really hope they miss. That would be sweet justice. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I wonder what's happened to this team... 

Was trade deadline and Petey contract talks distracting the team? I wonder how much it affected some guys. 

There were some fears after Feb whether this team was the real deal or would they limp into the playoffs? 

They've been dominant the last 2 wins against Vegas and Winnipeg. 

I feel like the team is now set knowing there's no more distractions or changes and they're gonna ride or die together heading into the playoffs. 

We made our moves early and got Z and Lindholm. 

The emergence of Soucy as a solid 3D has been fantastic. Juulsen stepping up huge gives us depth between 6-7D. 

The other teams loaded up. It'll be fun watching how it all unfolds. 

I love that PA didn't feel the panic to make a move at the TDL and do something stupid like sign Kessel for the sake of making a move. They are so smart. They know Podz would bring more to the table than Phil so they'll give youth a chance after letting them marinate all year in the AHL. 

Podz is our deadline move. 

Getting Myers and Joshua back is our deadline move. 

Amazing we'll fit under the cap and all the players can gel going into the playoffs while teams like Vegas has to sit guys like Stone until playoffs. I really hope they miss. That would be sweet justice. 

Honestly, the parity is so high in this league, the fact that this team can actually rest a little a breathe is probably the difference, IMHO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I was reading some of the old posts that you and I had flung at us back then. How we had to valiantly defend our stance in a hostile environment because "they knew and we didn't". Except...we knew.

I may be a woman. I may not have played the game before. But I've watched sports my entire life and never miss a game that this team plays. And I can pick 'em. Heart and soul players (Bieksa, Burr). Long before they're the hot ticket items that everyone gloms on to. 

Not going to name names, but some of the stuff floating around out there was such garbage...

432527597_10160804729605549_306207543495

432310981_10160804729625549_518579618801

431364165_10160804729615549_871133141399

432612100_10160804729705549_284045286430

What others saw as a character defect ("attitude") was his extreme desire to win/compete. When he gave up on plays on occasion, he was either gassed and KNEW he couldn't get back into them or...yes....frustrated. It's o k. I'd rather have a guy display all in emotion that a meh "attitude" that accepts losing.

Cheers to the 7 or so of us who NEVER ever could imagine this team without JT. I normally don't like "told you so" gloating but we took a LOT of abuse for defending JT. 

Many wanting to not only board the Miller bus but drive it now absolutely ripped him before. 

Pace yourself....with the team, with our players. There's a lesson to learn here.

You know your stuff Deb.

I used to get a little grumpy about people telling me what leadership was.

I knew from my own experiences that leadership comes in many forms. I have played a bunch of sports and competed as an athlete for many years. I was always inspired by the type of heart and soul guys, the passionate ones. Seeing them care, showing that they are human, showing that they would run through walls to get the job done for themselves and the team....that got my fire going. That, is JT Miller.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

You know your stuff Deb.

I knew from my own experiences that leadership comes in many forms. I have played a bunch of sports and competed as an athlete for many years. I was always inspired by the type of heart and soul guys, the passionate ones. Seeing them care, showing that they are human, showing that they would run through walls to get the job done for themselves and the team....that got my fire going. That, is JT Miller.

Yep, there's a brutal honesty in that and it's admirable.

They don't fake it.

What you see is what you get and JT wasn't satisfied. Rightfully so.

People didn't like that he was vocal and it ruffled feathers. Oh well....that needed to happen. Complacency wasn't serving them well.

• Upvote 1

It’s been noted before but now must be underlined: Former Canucks director of scouting Judd Brackett was positively vibrating in his seat at NHL draft in Vancouver when he sat down in front of the assembled reporters to discuss his team’s draft results.

He loved the player’s hands and “motor,” as he called it.The season Höglander is having will be no surprise to Brackett, who now runs the Minnesota Wild’s scouting department.Höglander was a fantastic collaborative effort by Brackett and the scouting staff, a team that president Trevor Linden had first started empowering in the 2016-17 season. They had a standardized assessment model, with an expectation that scouts would file coherent, comparable reports.The late Patrik Jonsson, who was one of the Canucks’ Sweden-based scouts, had first put Höglander on the Canucks’ scouting radar. The powerfully built Höglander was a player Jonsson knew well from skills development camps he’d run.

Edited by Rip The Mesh
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I don't accept the "exhausted" stuff for the Jets. At all.

They had a back to back, sure.  Before that they had 3 out of 4 nights off...played only one home game.

No excuses. We don't accept them for this team. Which has to play morning games on the road.

Well, His Blowness couldn't exactly come out and say, "Ya <reporter's name>, you are right. The Canucks are a superior team. We did win lots of 2nd games on back-to-back's but the Canucks are on another level. At least if we lose, we lose to a better team."

No, LOL, he gives 1 second compliment to the Canucks and then throws his entire team off a cliff before driving over them with the team bus - three times.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You know your stuff Deb.

16 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

@Alflives was also on board the JT bus when others were trading him for dirty socks.

I loved Miller's fire and passion but if you watched the old tapes of his time under Green and BB vs now, it's night and day. 

Miller during contract year was a risky player giving up chances to create chances. 

When there was talk he was looking for 10m+, I was not happy because his points were produced through lazy backchecks, cheating on offense etc. 

He then signed an amazing contract for 8m which is an acknowledgment of his deficiencies along with where he was at age wise. What's surprised me is that instead of signing his big contract and playing the same way he had done, he booked a meeting with RT as soon as RT got here and asked him to make him A complete player. 

He's completely upped his game and is now playing like a 10m+ guy. We got a huge bargain for him. 

Kudos to RT for making him a better player but more so kudos to Miller for not signing his long term deal and then being content but having that fire to really become a top player in this league. 

Paying for potential is stupid and something really savvy agents started. 

JT signed a contract for exactly where he was at in terms of play and his own inner fire has now helped him become a much better player. That's how championship teams are made. You need guys with that kind of desire to improve and get better to win championships. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

The thing I like about our current win streak is that not only we're winning by really playing to the identity that Tocc wants the team to play - relentless forecheck and sound defense, we're also getting shots and chances and not simply getting goals by being 'lucky'. When goals are harder to come by, you need to let in less to win which is what the team is doing now.

This is the right time to heat up. When Joshua's back we'll be even better. 

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

People keep wanting to find reasons we're not as good as our record/wins.

It's always something to defend why the other team lost. Make excuses for them. When we win, they're tired. When we lose, that's just an excuse and good teams battle through it.

When, really, it's just that this team is one of the top teams and we need to recognize that. They're proving it.

I'm one of those who was saying that the Nucks were still too soft. Now, I take that back. With some of the size they've added, the gritty, determined offense led by JT, the best D we've had in a very long time, and very good goaltending, we could be unstoppable. Kudos to JR, PA and RT and their teams.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1