[PGT] Jets at Canucks

51 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They have two NHL quality defencemen in Ekholm and Stecher, and have a locker room cancer wearing the C.

That is a bit harsh. Would you trade McDavid for Petery right now straight up? Allvin would have to think long and hard before saying yes or no on that question. 

McDavid: Pros - 5 100 point seasons and counting for McDavid, drives play and has 9 games with no points with 5 pointless games in his first 14 before McDavid remembered how to play hockey ... Cons: 2 years older than Petey and contract up in 2 years (after this season) thus probably due for a "bit" of a bump. 

Petey: 1 100 point season and should get another one this season - probably good for 3 or 4 more (time will tell). Has 23 games with no points this season which screams his potential if he added consistency to his game (but then the same could be said for McDavid in getting the pointless games closer to 2 or 3 all season). Is 2 years or so younger and has 8 years to go on a contract that "probably" will age well. 

Without sprinkling in the "COILERS SUCK THE PUCKS OF A RABID MOOSE" attitude, objectively I would lean towards no for the "Cons" but to call McDavid a cancer in the locker room I wouldn't agree with ... the world according to me.

Interesting question: if not Petey straight up, what player would you trade McDavid straight up for if you were a GM on a team with that option ... setting aside the McDavid for a bag of used jockstraps comments that will come flooding this way.

image.gif.b27d0e4d40d3a4ed9db5ff0391a0dfb3.gif

Edited by Rocket-68

52 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They have two NHL quality defencemen in Ekholm and Stecher, and have a locker room cancer wearing the C.

I know you and alf love the hyperbole, but mcD wins games by himself on a regular basis.  He and NM are the only two players in the league you hope to minimize, not stop

Coach is Adams trophy leader based on this NHL article.  I wonder the Torts suspension thing this week will increase Tocchet's odds of winning it.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/trophy-tracker-jack-adams-award-race-rick-tocchet-top-choice

A panel of 14 writers gave Tocchet 58 voting points, four for first place. Philadelphia Flyers coach John Tortorella received 40 votes, five for first. Paul Maurice of the Florida Panthers was third (32 votes, one for first).

Voting totals (points awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1- basis):

Rick Tocchet, Vancouver Canucks, 58 points (four first-place votes);

John Tortorella, Philadelphia Flyers, 40 points (five);

Paul Maurice, Florida Panthers, 32 points (one);

Kris Knoblauch, Edmonton Oilers, 24 points (two);

Rick Bowness, Winnipeg Jets, 23 points (one);

Peter Laviolette, New York Rangers, 14 points;

Jim Montgomery, Boston Bruins, 9 points (one);

Derek Lalonde, Detroit Red Wings, 7 points;

Andrew Brunette, Nashville Predators, 3 points.

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I know you and alf love the hyperbole, but mcD wins games by himself on a regular basis.  He and NM are the only two players in the league you hope to minimize, not stop

One bird doesn't make flock.He is not Tarzan.In play off he will be hit and tested.If he would have Miller stamina and personality,that would be another story

• MillerTime 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

But, aside from the Ave, no one has a player who can control a game by himself.

Miller can.

Win face offs, shut down players, hit/play physical and score when it counts.

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 2

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Miller can.

Somehow i know you love me.I am more cute and have less touts ,and i have brand new denture

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

Great player but his refusal to backcheck and repeated diving and tantrums is not a good example for your team.  He's setting the culture where playing like a man is optional.

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Miller can.

Miller actually shuts down McGoal Suck and MacKinnon. 

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, Rocket-68 said:

That is a bit harsh. Would you trade McDavid for Petery right now straight up? Allvin would have to think long and hard before saying yes or no on that question. 

McDavid: Pros - 5 100 point seasons and counting for McDavid, drives play and has 9 games with no points with 5 pointless games in his first 14 before McDavid remembered how to play hockey ... Cons: 2 years older than Petey and contract up in 2 years (after this season) thus probably due for a "bit" of a bump. 

Petey: 1 100 point season and should get another one this season - probably good for 3 or 4 more (time will tell). Has 23 games with no points this season which screams his potential if he added consistency to his game (but then the same could be said for McDavid in getting the pointless games closer to 2 or 3 all season). Is 2 years or so younger and has 8 years to go on a contract that "probably" will age well. 

Without sprinkling in the "COILERS SUCK THE PUCKS OF A RABID MOOSE" attitude, objectively I would lean towards no for the "Cons" but to call McDavid a cancer in the locker room I wouldn't agree with ... the world according to me.

Interesting question: if not Petey straight up, what player would you trade McDavid straight up for if you were a GM on a team with that option ... setting aside the McDavid for a bag of used jockstraps comments that will come flooding this way.

image.gif.b27d0e4d40d3a4ed9db5ff0391a0dfb3.gif

I would argue that Miller is having a better season than McDavid this year. He is also a better all around player as well. Faceoffs, hits, blocks, penalty killing, fights. 

If McDavid is getting 150 points like last year then that is a different story. But when he is not even the top scorer in the NHL this year then you can make an argument that there are “several” players in the NHL right now that are better than McDavid. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nope. McWhiner Baby will not impact a game to the extent Hughes and Makar can. He’s a selfish play too who cheats for offence. He will never lead a club to the Cup. He’s at the Dionne level. Lots of points but never a winner. 

Sorry Alf I can’t cast the Oilers out. My son and grandson love McDavid. I don’t know where I went wrong. Sometime in the Gretzky era. I would critique the generational nature of their fandom but I have been on the Canuck bandwagon since 1970. The really neat thing about this is the great conversations I have with my grandson. He collects hockey cards and culls all the Canuck ones and gives them to me. 😍

• Like 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 3/10/2024 at 9:11 PM, Attila Umbrus said:

We def gotta give Benning and Co the credit that is deserved drafting the group of guys we have.

But he also failed pretty miserably to support this young group with good veteran leadership. 

The list above is a great supporting cast of players that have helped this club do a complete 180 turn around. That’s not something to sneeze at.

Do we need to bring up Bennings list of guys he tried to bring in to make our club competitive? He dished out some bad contracts to a lot of vets, which never supported this cast of young guys like current management have.

Benning played his role, just like Nonis before him.

Both him and Nonis could not get past the “building” stage however. It took Gillis and now Allvin to push past and get to the next stage.

It happens all the time, things stall and get stagnant. You can call it luck but you gotta be good to be lucky. Both Gillis and Allvin took what gifts were given and pushed the needle further than their previous successors had. Can’t hate on them for that. It just is what it is.

I think you’re a bit too caught up on our lack of trade deadline movement in my opinion. There is a lot to be excited about. These are good times my friend. We should all be happy with things right now. 

I appreciate your passion and insight, but you are acting like you know everything and everyone else knows nothing. Why are you so confrontational? There is no reason to act like this with all your fellow canuck fans. I’ve seen lots of good takes and posts from you. But last couple weeks you’ve been very agitated and confrontational. We’re all just trying to share a conversation with you. 

Anyways, all the best. Lets enjoy this run we’re on. Hope you agree.

Hes had good takes? since when? El oh el. Did he give credit for Benning directing Oppenheimer too?

AnthonyG-oof is a posterboy for being a keyboard warrior

The fact that a forum can control someones emotions and well being is beyond me, a clear sign of a weakling. The guy has every minute of the day to fend of every Benning hate is quite creepy

Edited by filthy animal

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Great player but his refusal to backcheck and repeated diving and tantrums is not a good example for your team.  He's setting the culture where playing like a man is optional.

He's not "a" great player, he "the" great player, whether you like him or that or not. He is one of the very few generational players to come along who changed how the game is played.  To say differently is ridiculous

People said those exact same things about gretzky

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He's not "a" great player, he "the" great player, whether you like him or that or not. He is one of the very few generational players to come along who changed how the game is played.  To say differently is ridiculous

Gretzky also acknowledged how much he needed protection in those days.

Curious how much separation do you see between MacKinnon and McD?

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Mackinnon is somewhat the more complete player. Along with the offensive production he provides a physical presence. 

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mackinnon is somewhat the more complete player. Along with the offensive production he provides a physical presence. 

Also not clear on how McD changed how the game is played? I can see that for Orr. Not sure how that describes Mcbaby. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Maybe not a great leader though?

• ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

54 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Mak is as close as there is, no doubt.  He also has a much better supporting cast.

Just now, stawns said:

No doubt there, but that doesn't change how dominant of a player he is

Dominant many nights for sure. I'm struggling with the 'changed the game' part tho. McD does skilled things at high speed, but he didn't invent that. 

• Cheers 2