[PGT] Jets at Canucks

2 hours ago, stawns said:

He's not "a" great player, he "the" great player, whether you like him or that or not. He is one of the very few generational players to come along who changed how the game is played.  To say differently is ridiculous

People said those exact same things about gretzky

How exactly did McDavid change how the game is played? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Dominant many nights for sure. I'm struggling with the 'changed the game' part tho. McD does skilled things at high speed, but he didn't invent that. 

The game certainly changed to allow players to do those things.  Even Sid had to battle through a lot more to do the things on the ice he did.  Because of McD, it is truly a game given over to skill now

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

The game certainly changed to allow players to do those things.  Even Sid had to battle through a lot more to do the things on the ice he did.  Because of McD, it is truly a game given over to skill now

McDavid didn’t have much to play with when he arrived in Edmonton. Yes, there have been other fast forwards but McD has been superior with what he can do at that high speed. None of the greats, including Gretzky, ever generated the ppg off that kind of speed. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

McDavid didn’t have much to play with when he arrived in Edmonton. Yes, there have been other fast forwards but McD has been superior with what he can do at that high speed. None of the greats, including Gretzky, ever generated the ppg off that kind of speed. 

I don't really even like McD that much, but to deny what he is and what he does is silly.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's an interesting thought, and actually kind of a good argument for why Sid is the superior player.

So you really think the league adjusted it's rules specifically because of McDavid?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

That's an interesting thought, and actually kind of a good argument for why Sid is the superior player.

So you really think the league adjusted it's rules specifically because of McDavid?

Absolutely I do and id take prime sid over prime mcd every time.  That said, McD is probably the most skilled player of all time

• MillerTime 1

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

Is that a serious question?

Yes. Name one thing he has done to “change” the game?  

Scoring a bunch of points isn’t changing the game. Did any rules need to be changed like when Gretzky played?  Are centres now playing differently because of McDavid?  

What new rules have been brought in because of McDavid? 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Scoring a bunch of points isn’t changing the game. Did any rules need to be changed like when Gretzky played?  Are centres now playing differently because of McDavid?  

Answered above

McDavid's skill is awesome and at such a high speed that's hard to contain. I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. I will always loath Edmonton, not because of McDavid, but the egregious continuous tanking for first-overalls, to a point where it screwed all other teams because the league felt obligated to change to a lottery-based first-overall process. And despite the numerous first overall picks, Edmonton has yet to put together a true contender. I hope they have bad karma for the next 50 years. I hope McDavid leaves a big empty hole the Coilers can't fill because they never land another first-overall.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I have no idea what he's talking about.  Bure did exactly what McDavid does.  If anything, you can see that the rules clearly changed in 2005-06 (coincidentally the year after the lockout).  In fact, when you dig into it, 2005-06 was the 1st year that the league began to crack down on clutching and grabbing.  RULE CHANGE.  The goals per game average spiked in 2005-06 to 3.08 GPG (was 2.57 the season prior).  This current season, the GPG is 3.11, almost the same level as back in 2005-06. 

If ANYBODY changed the way the game was played (if the standard is rule changes), it's Sidney Crosby.  Rookie year for Sidney Crosby?  2005-06.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nathan MacKinnon also plays fast. So did Pavel Bure. I would argue Bure played just as fast as McDavid during an era of clutching and grabbing with a red line. Bure played most of his career during the dead puck era. 

If Bure was playing today without a red line and no clutching and grabbing he’d easily get 70-80 goals. 

I think you are discounting the relative speed of the game and especially the way modern defenceman can skate.   
‘The dead puck era didn’t really start until they got rid of the tag up off sides rule in 96-97 and by then Bure had come off major knee surgery and head injury and while recovering he got saddled with he who shall not be named.
 I am not sure that his peak performances would have really been that much better today though definitely his career would have been longer and likely more productive overall given the advancements in knee surgery and less psychos playing who’s only job is to destroy the star players. 

• Cheers 2

I saw the skill comp this year.

My jaw was on the floor as was most of the NHL players watching what McJesus can do.

I still love to hate him but he is without question the best player in the game.

Just probably should not have the C on his chest.

I just read this....

McDavid is the first player to win back-to-back NHL Fastest Skater competitions and the first to win three – and he did so consecutively. His three winning totals are the first, second and fourth times in the event all-time at 13.310, 13.378, and 13.454.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nathan MacKinnon also plays fast. So did Pavel Bure. I would argue Bure played just as fast as McDavid during an era of clutching and grabbing with a red line. Bure played most of his career during the dead puck era. 

If Bure was playing today without a red line and no clutching and grabbing he’d easily get 70-80 goals. 

No Marchment's around either going after a players knees in a cheapshot hit either.  Oh there's still cheapshot players in the league but nowhere to the same extent (imho) today.  Biggest case of karma is that I *think* Marchment's career prematurely ended after throwing one of his patented 'knee on knee hits' (he ended up hurting himself in the process).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

On 3/9/2024 at 9:38 PM, RupertKBD said:

Bbbb.....bbbb.....bbbb.....better than the Jets....

image.jpeg.bd637aca4fa771b5e81f897da58915d2.jpeg

Rattlin' 'Roun' my head since I saw this.  

B-B-Better 'n The Jets..

Better!  Better! 

B-B-Better 'n The Jets.

Dal segno al infinitum

Too good.  Thanks man.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Vegas only holding onto the wildcard spot by 6 points 

Just imagine they drop out that would be epic! 

Theu did the same thing 2 years ago... but this year would be extra sweet!

They play Seattle twice in the next 9 days and the wild twice at the end of the month. If either of those teams could sweep those games it would make things Hella interesting.

• ThereItIs 1