Quinn's coming for 2nd place!

Baratheon

3 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

Brings me shouting, out of my chair, well, almost up, hitting the circle-back button on the remote, "Come and look at this play!"

I'm just like you, constantly shouting at the TV, asking anyone around me "Did you see that?!"... and it's literally just Quinn skating or holding the blue-line.

He might end up being my all-time favourite player by the time everything's said and done with his career.

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

You know what's mind boggling is Ray Bourque.  Can you believe the guy played 1612 games?  And it's not like he even dwindled down his minutes either!  The guy played an average of 26:38 TOI over 1612 friggin games!  What a beast on the blue line. 

And what's with this generational talents always playing for the same teams?

EDM:  Gretzky and McDavid (Coffey)

PIT: Lemieux and Crosby (Jagr and Coffey too?)

BOS:  Orr and Bourque

Heh, don't forget two other HHOFers.😉

QHs is going to pass Edler in assists next season.    It's amazing to have a guy like this on our team.   Lumme was never quite enough...and same with the 80's guys (although Reinhardt was pretty decent even at the end of his career, and yes I get he wasn't with us in the 80's ).    Got aways to go with the goals.    Not sure he's going to get there if this his is his last contract, but he's going to blow the doors of points for sure. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Sativika said:

Needless to say, Huggy is the real deal. I mean these are just Canuck defenseman  throughout the years. I agree that he could very well surpass Ohlund by this season's end.

It's truly mind boggling that he's accomplishing this in far less games than all the others. The fact that he's only 24yrs. old gives one pause in keeping with his feats thus far. He'll not just surpass the Canuck Defenseman stalwarts of old, but also stalwart defenseman in NHL history!

Check this out:

ScreenShot2024-03-12at7_40_15AM.thumb.png.f542a12aad910aa5bed19f5fa46e79d3.png

I'm pretty confident that Huggy,  given a long and prosperous career, will surpass many a HOF defenceman. Do y'all think he can top the current all time points getter Ray Bourque in less games than him? I think so. I mean Huggy's been talked of in the same circles as Orr. And Orr's career was cut short!

I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating, " I'm soooooo f*ckin' glad he's ours!" Canuck forever!

Go Canucks Go!!!!! 

You're dreaming man.   1000 points is attainable with the way the games played now.     There is no way he's going to play until he's 40 and do what Borque did, he's  nothing like Borque either.    The Orr stuff is because he took a couple years to gain traction.  Same with Coffey.    How many times did Borque score 90 plus.    QHs is good, but he's not that good.   Do you really think he's going to score close to 50 goals in a season at 120-130 plus points  in a single season multiple times?   I don't.    Im stoked we have this guy, but the Orr and Coffey comps are going to go away soon.   Potvin too.  Because well, he doesn't play like any of these guys did. 

Edited by IBatch

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

QHs is going to pass Edler in assists next season.    It's amazing to have a guy like this on our team.   Lumme was never quite enough...and same with the 80's guys (although Reinhardt was pretty decent even at the end of his career, and yes I get he wasn't with us in the 80's ).    Got aways to go with the goals.    Not sure he's going to get there if this his is his last contract, but he's going to blow the doors of points for sure. 

Nah you're right.  He can't get the goals record on this current contract. (It would be pretty fun to be proven wrong on that)

If his improved finishing carries over to following seasons then I do think that he can get there by age 30.  I think he stays for at least one more contract.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Nah you're right.  He can't get the goals record on this current contract. (It would be pretty fun to be proven wrong on that)

If his improved finishing carries over to following seasons then I do think that he can get there by age 30.  I think he stays for at least one more contract.

If he stays for another contract, it's going to likely take half a century for a Canuck to come in and take his records.   That would be pretty amazing.   Think he could end up with 1100 or so points.    That a remarkable accomplishment.   Going to take some longevity.   And some luck; injury wise. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

You know what's mind boggling is Ray Bourque.  Can you believe the guy played 1612 games?  And it's not like he even dwindled down his minutes either!  The guy played an average of 26:38 TOI over 1612 friggin games!  What a beast on the blue line. 

And what's with this generational talents always playing for the same teams?

EDM:  Gretzky and McDavid (Coffey)

PIT: Lemieux and Crosby (Jagr and Coffey too?)

BOS:  Orr and Bourque

This is one of the reasons why I get my hackles up when it comes to Lidstrom.   Guy couldn't carry Borques jockstrap when he entered the league, yet Borque was already on his back nine.   His last year, in COL, was second for Norris votes.   One of the best finals in the history of the game too, Roy showing why he was the best still, and better then Broduer, despite about to retire as well.   Borque did it throughout the 80's and 90's right into the deepest part of the dead puck era.     Guess who was his mentor?  Brad Park.   It's also why this era adjusted stuff is basically a bunch of baloney.   As for Roy.   He lost in 89, in less games then we did.   

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, Pears said:

9 more points to pass Ohlund and will easily clear Edler next year. That's insane to think about.  

Not if you're from my generation.   But glad that he's doing it, and stoked we've finally got one of these types of players playing for us. 

Just now, IBatch said:

Not if you're from my generation.   But glad that he's doing it, and stoked we've finally got one of these types of players playing for us. 

Yeah. I also agree about how he seperates this core from past cores. We've had a strong forward core and good-elite goalies a few times, but neither of those had that franchise game changing defenseman that Hughes is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

Yeah. I also agree about how he seperates this core from past cores. We've had a strong forward core and good-elite goalies a few times, but neither of those had that franchise game changing defenseman that Hughes is. 

Nope.  We've waited forever for that.  Had one with Reinhardt at the end of his career, wasn't at his best but still good.   Babych in the back nine of his career.  Lumme was solid but not top tier.   Same with a blip of Brown.   And Jovo showed something but not the top tier stuff.    None of the peak Sedin guys were either.   QHs is the guy we've been waiting for half a century plus. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zombieksa said:

I hope July 1st 2026 management goes "okay Quinn, here is 120M. Stay with us forever."

He's going to get 14% of the cap.   Or close to it, just like Doughty and EK did.  Either with us our someone else.  Win lose or draw.  Cup wise. 

Edited by IBatch

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nope.  We've waited forever for that.  Had one with Reinhardt at the end of his career, wasn't at his best but still good.   Babych in the back nine of his career.  Lumme was solid but not top tier.   Same with a blip of Brown.   And Jovo showed something but not the top tier stuff.    None of the peak Sedin guys were either.   QHs is the guy we've been waiting for half a century plus. 

Yup.  To be honest, if this current roster can't win a cup for the Canucks, I fear the cup drought in Vancouver will reach the century mark.  We finally have elite forwards, an elite goalie, AND an elite defenceman.  Not just any elite defenceman either.  We have Hughes.  Defencemen like Hughes don't come around often.  We're insanely lucky to have him. 

• Huggy Bear 1

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He's going to get 14% of the cap.   Or close to it, just like Doughty and EK did.  Either with us our someone else.  Win lose or draw.  Cup wise. 

Yup, maybe more depending on what he does the coming few years.  Throw 2 or 3 100pt seasons in there, plus maybe a Norris, plus (PLEASE) a Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup, and I could see 15%+.

• Huggy Bear 1

47 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, maybe more depending on what he does the coming few years.  Throw 2 or 3 100pt seasons in there, plus maybe a Norris, plus (PLEASE) a Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup, and I could see 15%+.

If he gets the Conn Smythe, wouldn't care if he's the first player to get the max.   

• Like 1

It's crazy that two way/DFDs lead the charge for us. Have we been allergic to drafting d-men with offensive upside? Not trying to downplay Huggy. But when Ohlund, a defensive defenceman, is your number 2 in franchise points by a d-man. Something is deeply wrong with the franchise's drafting. Lol.

He'll almost certainly pass Ohlund this year and with a solid year, could even catch Edler next year. I'm probably slower to give him this label than most, but I'm close to calling him the greatest Canuck defenseman ever (he's obviously already the best defensemen at his prime we've ever had).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

It's crazy that two way/DFDs lead the charge for us. Have we been allergic to drafting d-men with offensive upside? Not trying to downplay Huggy. But when Ohlund, a defensive defenceman, is your number 2 in franchise points by a d-man. Something is deeply wrong with the franchise's drafting. Lol.

Ohlund was a DFD at the end of his career, but definitely more of a two-way guy for the first part. He scored 10+ goals four times for us, something DFDs don't do.

We've had a few great offensive guys like Lumme, Kearns, Reinhart, and Jovocop, but none of them really lasted long enough to set records or just weren't consistent enough. Lumme and Kearns were great, but not elite like Hughes. Jovo was probably the closest we'd had to Hughes, twice finishing 6th in Norris voting and making the 2002 Team Canada, but he both played a shorter stint for the team and played in the height of the dead puck era for our team. Reinhart was high end offensive talent, but we only had him for two years. Ehrhoff was also in a similar vein to Reinhart, but there's a case that he may have been feeding a bit off the Sedins' powerplay excellence.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Ohlund was a DFD at the end of his career, but definitely more of a two-way guy for the first part. He scored 10+ goals four times for us, something DFDs don't do.

We've had a few great offensive guys like Lumme, Kearns, Reinhart, and Jovocop, but neither of them really lasted long enough to set records or just weren't consistent enough. Lumme and Kearns were great, but not elite like Hughes. Jovo was probably the closest we'd had to Hughes, twice finishing 6th in Norris voting and making the 2002 Team Canada, but he both played a shorter stint for the team and played in the height of the dead puck era for our team. Reinhart was high end offensive talent, but we only had him for two years. Ehrhoff was also in a similar vein to Reinhart, but there's a case that he may have been feeding a bit off the Sedins' powerplay excellence.

Jovo also made the 2006 team, but was injured at the time.   Pretty sure he set up the play that helped Sakic score the GWG in Salt Lake too.   As for Ohlund, if it wasn't for his eye, wonder what sort of career he might have had.   It was still very good, and he could hit like a tank.    Erhoff was nothing like Reinhart.   He came in near the end of his career, and wasn't 100% anymore.   But was still awfully good.   Erhoff out of Vancouver wasn't that special.   Reinhart was very special in Calgary.   So was Babych in WNP and Hartford.   In his 30's, changed his game.   Don't forget Lidster either.   Or McArthy or Lanz.   Even Aucion almost did the impossible on a stinky Keenan team (tied Orr's PP goal record, since surpassed by I think Souray).    The idea of a number one also needing to be first PP and PK has changed over time as well.  

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Jovo also made the 2006 team, but was injured at the time.   Pretty sure he set up the play that helped Sakic score the GWG in Salt Lake too.   As for Ohlund, if it wasn't for his eye, wonder what sort of career he might have had.   It was still very good, and he could hit like a tank.    Erhoff was nothing like Reinhart.   He came in near the end of his career, and wasn't 100% anymore.   But was still awfully good.   Erhoff out of Vancouver wasn't that special.   Reinhart was very special in Calgary.   So was Babych in WNP and Hartford.   In his 30's, changed his game.   Don't forget Lidster either.   Or McArthy or Lanz.   Even Aucion almost did the impossible on a stinky Keenan team (tied Orr's PP goal record, since surpassed by I think Souray).    The idea of a number one also needing to be first PP and PK has changed over time as well.  

My dad has quite the collection of VHS recordings from the 89 season.  We would watch them every off season as we started to miss hockey more and more.  Obviously that makes me somewhat biased but I believe even the older Reinhart that we got was the most talented D we’ve ever had outside of Hughes.  

All due respect to Ohlund, Lumme, Jovo, Edler and some others.  If I have a Time Machine and need to win one game/series then I’m taking Reinhart over all but Hughes.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Baratheon said:

My dad has quite the collection of VHS recordings from the 89 season.  We would watch them every off season as we started to miss hockey more and more.  Obviously that makes me somewhat biased but I believe even the older Reinhart that we got was the most talented D we’ve ever had outside of Hughes.  

All due respect to Ohlund, Lumme, Jovo, Edler and some others.  If I have a Time Machine and need to win one game/series then I’m taking Reinhart over all but Hughes.

You bet.  Brown was pretty good for us during the 94 run too.   Made the play to spring Bure of course the most memorable one.  Reinhart was pretty special, nearing the end of his career.    Injuries had taken a toll too.   

Lumme played a lot of his career in the dead puck era ... loved his clock saving long bombs on the PK...shaved minutes off the clock over a year of doing that, it must be harder then it looks,  he made it look easy.    Jovo had flair, scored big goals, hit hard, fought hard, a leader (actually wanted him to Captain that team).  Was a legit top pairing D.   Lockout(s) kept him from playing 1000 games, and a shot at 500 points.    Sure like Zubov and most other guys, he'd of found it a lot easier, and like a lot of players it he just didn't come back.    Intelligent player.   Glide - fake - tape to tape pass, or score a big goal.   Pretty sure he'd own the record books if he stayed a Canuck. 

Ohlund was our "transformer" 6'4", (with the pads they started to wear, that's what he looked like)  hit like a truck, and did most things very well.    Think if he didn't have that eye injury, he'd be a legit number one, and he's the guy QHs would need to pass next season, one of my favourites.   Lost some sight, and still wouldn't wear a visor.   Warrior.  

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He'll almost certainly pass Ohlund this year and with a solid year, could even catch Edler next year. I'm probably slower to give him this label than most, but I'm close to calling him the greatest Canuck defenseman ever (he's obviously already the best defensemen at his prime we've ever had).

Get the second sentiment.   Needs to play a couple hundred more games, and have some big playoff moments too.    Defense is the hardest position to pin down.    Traditionally, number ones are on the first PP and at least the second PK unit.    Minutes matter too, how much a coach trusts him.     Longevity matters.  Otherwise Hamhuis's name should be amongst the best we've had.    Guys like Snepsts, Butcher, Ohlund, Edler that played a decade with us plus, that's special too.   Greatness is subjective. Haair-  rooold.  Chants.  Like Zub in Ottawa when he makes a great defensive play or smashes something.    Butcher skating around with a black eye and making things awfully miserable for anyone coming into our zone.   Lidster's big year.    Aucion's ridiculous power play run, out of nowhere, wasted, but something to cheer.   Murzyn's concrete skates, but willing to do anything to keep the front of then net, despite losing every fight he ever had.  

Lumme's piercing eyes, stapled open gaze, gliding into a zone waiting for someone to flinch, then smooth as butter pass or shot.    Jovo/Deadmarsh enough said.   Ohlund OT/GWG's.     Eagles longevity and steadiness.    Salo's bombs. 

QHs is creating a lasting legacy for himself.   His game is completely unique, and a lot different  than the above guys.   He's not going to fight to toughest heavy's in the league (Snepsts).   Or put anyone through the glass, or Ballard them with a hip check, or stand guys up at the blueline (Ohlund).   Or break Aucion's PP record (started slow then it was like every game he was scoring one, and the entire league was rooting for him near the end ... tied Orr).    But he's going to do a lot of stuff we will be talking about 30-50 years  from now, the same way the 70's and 80's and 90's come up now.

One thing he's already done that blows me away, is his ability to walk a line.    Those are elite all-time, skills.    Has anyone ever (any team), done it quite like he does it?   Niedermayer?   Can't think of anyone really.    In the end, after one or at most, two more season's,  think it will be very reasonable, to say he's the greatest to ever play for the Canucks.   Needs some playoff jam in there, like Babych jam.   Grow a mustache, score some big goals when it matters the most.    Soon it will be like it was for THN ranking Gretzky as the greatest player ever to play on the Kings, and not Dionne.    And in their rankings, absolutely number of games played comes into consideration.  As it should.    Burrows is a greater Canuck than Courtnall.   Both scored big goals.   Courtnall was a PGP playoff warrior,  but wasn't here long enough.   Adams was also a playoff hero, scored some clutch goals,  around a much longer stretch, some lean years while rebuilding and then the best ones ... is he greater then Burrows?  Sure scored a lot more often.   Again longevity and big moments win the day.   ROH matters too.    There for sure are subtle difference between better and greater. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1